• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Onemic

Im SO FUCKING SALTY right now. Got in a rank down match with a dumb ass Yu and I beat him easily, but the dude rage quits before anything could be saved so it didn't count. I then face a B Elizabeth and get beaten. Now I'm back to C :(

And how do you beat Liz's stupid persona mixup of her either doing a throw or that invulnerable blast thing? Both take a second to do, but if you try and punish it and she does that invulnerable attack you get hit. Even though the Mitsu Liz matchup is supposed to be in my favour I always lose to them because of that bullshit.(not to mention her DP) Her long range normals also seem to reach farther than my normals, but I may be wrong about that.

EDIT: In the very next match I get IK'd by Yukiko. I hate this game.

Xevren

Im SO FUCKING SALTY right now. Got in a rank down match with a dumb ass Yu and I beat him easily, but the dude rage quits before anything could be saved so it didn't count. I then face a B Elizabeth and get beaten. Now I'm back to C :(

And how do you beat Liz's stupid persona mixup of her either doing a throw or that invulnerable blast thing? Both take a second to do, but if you try and punish it and she does that invulnerable attack you get hit.

If the person is doing a thanatos double slash you could super jump right after that to avoid the mix up.

And how do you beat Liz's stupid persona mixup of her either doing a throw or that invulnerable blast thing? Both take a second to do, but if you try and punish it and she does that invulnerable attack you get hit. Even though the Mitsu Liz matchup is supposed to be in my favour I always lose to them because of that bullshit.(not to mention her DP) Her long range normals also seem to reach farther than my normals, but I may be wrong about that.

sorry, but lol

watch for the grab, because you can just block the 2C, and then punish

when you see the grab, just, DP, whatever, and then punish

Onemic

ugh, and Chie can combo into her AOA? My rage is reaching a boiling point now.

EDIT: that's it, I think I'm gonna quit this game for a week. The amount of bullshit in this game is making me go crazy.

Uncle AJ

Any Chie players have any advice on the Yosuke matchup? It's not giving me a ton of trouble, but it definitely seems like Yosuke has a complete advantage in space control, and I'm not totally sure how to punish his basic stuff like the command run into the moonsaults.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah okay, get ready thursday ya'll.

I'M COMING FOR YOU FIGHTING GAF.

are the persona 3/4 rpgs any good I've only played Nocturne.

Yup, play 3 first though cause 4 improves upon it a good deal

EDIT: that's it, I think I'm gonna quit this game for a week. The amount of bullshit in this game is making me go crazy.
You play mitsuru?

goldensun

Take a break for a few days and jump back in. You're just having an off day, but once you get used to all of the matchups you'll look back and laugh at how angry you used to get at them :p

I got super angry yesterday when I lost 5 ranked in a row (3 to a Chie mashing A and I had no idea what to do lol), so I'm taking a short break and watching matches online to learn what to do.

Fugu

I'm not a fan of 8 person lobbies, it takes way too long :T

It was a nice chance to practice characters I don't normally use though.
I find playing in lobbies with more than three people to be intolerable if I'm losing with any regularity.

sorry, but lol

watch for the grab, because you can just block the 2C, and then punish

when you see the grab, just, DP, whatever, and then punish
You don't know how your own mixup works.

It's strong specifically because you can't DP it unless you're in the corner (still not a good idea there due to the fact that Elizabeth can now bait it and hit you), as Elizabeth (not her persona) can just punish you for essentially whiffing the DP. You also can't jump out for free because if Elizabeth doesn't grab she can use an air unblockable (or just pressure you more). You also have to be wary of punishing it by hitting the persona because if Elizabeth uses 2C, your attack will be absorbed by the guard point and you'll be CH'd. Punishing 2C is also tenuous because you can do 2C OMC 2C at fullscreen and at shorter distances, Elizabeth can punish you for punishing 2C.

It's not exactly an amazing mixup (This thread highlights a lot of its problems; second post) but Elizabeth gets a huge reward for getting it right and whomever you're hitting can usually only hope for a persona hit in the best case scenario.

You don't know how your own mixup works.

It's strong specifically because you can't DP it unless you're in the corner (still not a good idea there due to the fact that Elizabeth can now bait it and hit you), as Elizabeth (not her persona) can just punish you for essentially whiffing the DP. You also can't jump out for free because if Elizabeth doesn't grab she can use an air unblockable (or just pressure you more). You also have to be wary of punishing it by hitting the persona because if Elizabeth uses 2C, your attack will be absorbed by the guard point and you'll be CH'd. Punishing 2C is also tenuous because you can do 2C OMC 2C at fullscreen and at shorter distances, Elizabeth can punish you for punishing 2C.

It's not exactly an amazing mixup (This thread highlights a lot of its problems; second post) but Elizabeth gets a huge reward for getting it right and whomever you're hitting can usually only hope for a persona hit in the best case scenario.

Which move are you saying you can't DP? I said to block the 2C and only react to the grab. Ah, I see a typoed just instead of jump. You can jump the grab on reaction when you see the grab. And then you can punish the Persona. Or you can probably just DP when you see the grab.

And yea, I didn't recommend jumping because it's risky. Just block and react accordingly.

The 2C canceling sounds scary, I'll have to start using that lol.

vocab

Yeah okay, get ready thursday ya'll.

I'M COMING FOR YOU FIGHTING GAF.

are the persona 3/4 rpgs any good I've only played Nocturne.

3 is junk. It has better social links, and a better neutral character, but the pacing sucks ass. There is a good game in there somewhere, but I haven't found it.

Pretty much.

Fugu

You can't really DP either of them.

If you DP the grab, you'll break it and get hit.
If you DP 2C, you'll hit the guard point and get punished automatically.

Telling people to react to a command grab is just silly. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to react to a command grab? Why do you think people continue to get 360'd by grapplers in fighting games everywhere? It's not that they don't know it's coming, it's that by the time they figure it out, they're powerless to stop it. And due to the fact that it's a command grab coming from a disjointed hitbox, you are now forced to jab it out if you don't want to jump, meaning you need to predict the command grab quite a ways before it happens or else you will simply be grabbed out of your startup.

What makes the mixup strong now is that people lack the comfort with the game to either jump out and take control of space or jab by reading the command grab.

Busaiku

EDIT: In the very next match I get IK'd by Yukiko. I hate this game.

If you're blocking and they're about to do the throw, you can jump it.

You can't really DP either of them.

If you DP the grab, you'll break it and get hit.
If you DP 2C, you'll hit the guard point and get punished automatically.

Telling people to react to a command grab is just silly. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to react to a command grab? Why do you think people continue to get 360'd by grapplers in fighting games everywhere? It's not that they don't know it's coming, it's that by the time they figure it out, they're powerless to stop it. And due to the fact that it's a command grab coming from a disjointed hitbox, you are now forced to jab it out if you don't want to jump, meaning you need to predict the command grab quite a ways before it happens or else you will simply be grabbed out of your startup.

What makes the mixup strong now is that people lack the comfort with the game to either jump out and take control of space or jab by reading the command grab.

You can't DP the 2C. I never said you could.

You can DP the 5D, but yea, it's not the best option. I was just using it as an example of a punish. A jab works just as well. Since I was specifically thinking of Mitsuru, since that's who onemic plays, I said DP because Mitsuru's is really good. But, with Mitsuru, using that charge special is also a good option.

5D doesn't have the startup that most command grabs have. It's got a brief pause that you can react to if you're expecting it. Trying to predict the 5D and jab beforehand sounds like guessing, which means you run the risk of guessing wrong and eating a 2C. Or, you could mistime the jab and get a counterhit grab.

In this particular situation, if you're not pushing buttons, you're not powerless to stop the mix up. Block, react, punish.

My bro plays Kanji, and honestly, I have no trouble getting away from his stupid jumping tackle. Maybe my brother is just a scrub, but some of his moves are so obvious.

Alucrid

Banned
For some reason I thought you had to be winning the match point round (ahead in life) to use the finishing move, so when I saw a guy trying to do it over and over and failing I laughed.

Then he did it. :|

They're both great. I prefer 4.

I like the characters / town of 3, but the system and story of 4.

Mesoian

My bro plays Kanji, and honestly, I have no trouble getting away from his stupid jumping tackle. Maybe my brother is just a scrub, but some of his moves are so obvious.
Yeah but that's by design. Kanji is reactionary, capitalizing on mistakes rather than rushing down. That's why stuff like j.b xx 214a/b works so nicely, it directly attacks people's timing.
but he's got shit for options.
also, lol, my phone autocorrects kanji as Manning.

Fugu

You can't DP the 2C. I never said you could.

You can DP the 5D, but yea, it's not the best option. I was just using it as an example of a punish. A jab works just as well. Since I was specifically thinking of Mitsuru, since that's who onemic plays, I said DP because Mitsuru's is really good. But, with Mitsuru, using that charge special is also a good option.

5D doesn't have the startup that most command grabs have. It's got a brief pause that you can react to if you're expecting it. Trying to predict the 5D and jab beforehand sounds like guessing, which means you run the risk of guessing wrong and eating a 2C. Or, you could mistime the jab and get a counterhit grab.

In this particular situation, if you're not pushing buttons, you're not powerless to stop the mix up. Block, react, punish.
A DP isn't just as good as a jab; a DP is usually at least a dozen frames negative making it much easier to punish and therefore bad advice for someone asking how to beat the grab mixup.

5D's startup is sort of irrelevant as you cannot DP it, meaning you have to react four frames or so faster than you normally would have to.

Ah yes, block the command grab.

Honestly, I just mostly find your advice silly both because you lol'd at the poster for having trouble with the mixup and yet your solutions for defeating it are either a) wrong or b) something that you, yourself, cannot do.

As far as I'm concerned, the actual solution is just to jump and be prepared to block. That mixup isn't strong and I don't see it used much as part of the usual knockdown of Elizabeth (hence why it's listed as a gimmick) so I don't see why a player should even subject themselves to it.

Is a decent Kanji really that hard to find? I swear 100% of my matches against him pretty much boil down to "duck dive grab->fatal counter->repeat until dead" and while free PSR and exp is nice and all this is getting kinda boring :|

Ken

Is a decent Kanji really that hard to find? I swear 100% of my matches against him pretty much boil down to "duck dive grab->fatal counter->repeat until dead" and while free PSR and exp is nice and all this is getting kinda boring :|

You went offline.

Steaks

If you have xbox and are around east coast USA, add me: KenEsque

Riposte

You think switching the control scheme to this would be weird?

[A] [C]
[D]

As it is now kind of hurts my head, but then I'm always reluctant to config unique controls.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I think you need to beat me up and feel better. >_>
If only my connection was good. It still isn't. WOE.

Top Bottom