• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Riposte

The thing that drives me crazy about Arc games is that it feels daunting picking a character. I think I'm rolling with Chie because that is who I was most comfortable with when going through the character trials. She isn't an execution heavy character is she?

This really bugs me, but even if you switch your control layout, the button icons remain in the same position. It is the worst for trials when I'm wondering how the hell I got something wrong, then I realize my brain was picking up the button icon and I pushed the wrong button. This problem also pops up in training mode.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This really bugs me, but even if you switch your control layout, the button icons remain in the same position. It is the worst for trials when I'm wondering how the hell I got something wrong, then I realize my brain was picking up the button icon and I pushed the wrong button. This problem also pops up in training mode.
This is part of the reason many people suggest sticking to the default layout.

It really does become second nature after enough play time.

Nyoro SF

The thing that drives me crazy about Arc games is that it feels daunting picking a character. I think I'm rolling with Chie because that is who I was most comfortable with when going through the character trials. She isn't an execution heavy character is she?

Easy chars include labrys, yu and mitsuru.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hmm, on a very basic level I'd say yes to yosuke and naoto: run and jump and do random shits for the first one, and shoot and lay traps randomly for the second.
Yukiko, though... yeah, no. :/

But going by that logic you could say yukiko is the same as naoto then. THROW FANS, RANDOMLY THROW OUT PERSONA STUFF

Grifter

FFFUUURRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYY

internet-high-five.jpg

Shito

But going by that logic you could say yukiko is the same as naoto then. THROW FANS, RANDOMLY THROW OUT PERSONA STUFF
Hmmm, but Naoto's bullet can be delayed, and are waaaayy more safe than Yukiko's fan.
Approaching a random Naoto is so much more a pain in the ass than doing so on a random Yukiko. Plus you can persona break a persona happy Yukiko, while Naoto can keep spaming you all day from across the screen.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hmmm, but Naoto's bullet can be delayed, and are waaaayy more safe than Yukiko's fan.
Approaching a random Naoto is so much more a pain in the ass than doing so on a random Yukiko. Plus you can persona break a persona happy Yukiko, while Naoto can keep spaming you all day from across the screen.

You play yukiko and are looking for excuses huh? You cant just spam and mash shit out with Naoto or Yosuke. Trust me.

You play yukiko and are looking for excuses huh? You cant just spam and mash shit out with Naoto or Yosuke. Trust me.

Well, no, but at a low level Yosuke's flip slashes are pretty damn good because people can't block crossups...and technically I guess you can spam and mash them if you're in Sukukaja *shrug*

Naoto can spam bullets, but I don't think it's easier than Yukiko anyways since she has to reload.

Liz is dorky, and Plat is obnoxious? :3

Elizabeth is classy. Platinum is the physical form of awesome.

Where's Plat... OH FFUU EDIT!!

I didn't realize he was including BB because I automatically skip over reading Noel whenever possible.
I hate Noel that much!
And for some reason, I've started to assume that a fighter has a character named Makoto in it. Had to think for a good second if P4A actually has one or not.

Astral

Played against some friends this weekend. They were mashing, but it was still fun to play someone sitting next to me.

That sounds nice. I wish my friends weren't so fucking terrible at fighting games. I thought "This game has autocombos so it shouldn't be too hard for them to play." Nope. They couldn't even run let alone press the square button 4 or 5 times.

Fugu

you named one dp that's not RC'able. as far as i can remember from BB, ragna has one, jin has one (4, actually), makoto has one, tsubaki has one (4 also?), and hazama has a pretty iffy one. i'm pretty sure if memory serves, all of these are RC'able

ragna spends 50 heat to have his DP not punished, or in otherwards, to make his dp safe. except super cancelling cancels into a super isn't safe if the super is blocked
I looked into this and apparently I was wrong and most of the real DPs can be RC'd. I actually didn't know that. Hazama doesn't have a DP though and Jin only really has two, and not all of Tsubaki's are invincible and they are all prone to trading due to being projectiles, so they're garbage for other reasons. But it doesn't change the fact that the guy RCing his DP doesn't get another mixup out of it, because the RC is meant to cover the fact that your opponent blocked a move that is largely meant to be used only when you know it won't be blocked.

Yeah, Mitsuru's extra mixup isn't great, but it's an extra mixup. They gave a very powerful character with a very powerful DP a way to cover their DP and convert it into extra damage.

That's honestly how I read that too.

I think people get frustrated with it because it loses a lot of exchanges and it's slow, but Yukiko's fan is godlike. It just takes a lot of getting used to, particularly against fast characters like Yosuke and Akihiko.

Is it easy to punish Yosuke's flips? Haven't fought him much.
Once you learn to expect it it's not a huge deal. The idea is to avoid standing there and blocking because he can do an empty flip and not cross up; he also gets a fairly large amount of damage for confirming it. It's not a tight blockstring though, so you can often just outright run out or DP if you're feeling lucky.

LProtag

Well, I only have one stick. One of my friends really liked mashing on it, and I had to try to learn how to play the game on a controller, haha.

She apparently liked mashing so much she wants to buy an arcade stick. She's my good friend's girlfriend and he really wants to beat me, so he's fine with her buying the game and some arcade sticks because he think he'll be able to practice and get better than me.

I'm fine with how this is going.

Grifter

But the two best characters in either game are robots.

Spoiler alert.

Fugu said:
Once you learn to expect it it's not a huge deal. The idea is to avoid standing there and blocking because he can do an empty flip and not cross up; he also gets a fairly large amount of damage for confirming it. It's not a tight blockstring though, so you can often just outright run out or DP if you're feeling lucky.
So it's that open-ended that if I don't have a read on what he's doing, I'd best run forward.

Nyoro SF

OK. So you actually CANNOT hit Mitsuru in the air after you block her DP. If you time a meaty 2A you can retract your foot quickly enough to avoid the ice super.

If you use Evasive Action, you will not recover quickly enough to punish Mitsuru if she decides not to use ice super. You also won't be in range.

So meaty 2A is the best move. Don't mash, just do a single 2A and look for "Counter".

Fugu

OK. So you actually CANNOT hit Mitsuru in the air after you block her DP. If you time a meaty 2A you can retract your foot quickly enough to avoid the ice super.

If you use Evasive Action, you will not recover quickly enough to punish Mitsuru if she decides not to use ice super. You also won't be in range.

So meaty 2A is the best move. Don't mash, just do a single 2A and look for "Counter".
Yeah, I read this last week, but it's honestly easier said than done to not drop your confirm on a single 2A if they don't do the super. I mean, dropping the confirm isn't a huge deal, but it's a lot better than you should get off of a DP CH.

Top Bottom