• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Grifter

OK. So you actually CANNOT hit Mitsuru in the air after you block her DP. If you time a meaty 2A you can retract your foot quickly enough to avoid the ice super.

If you use Evasive Action, you will not recover quickly enough to punish Mitsuru if she decides not to use ice super. You also won't be in range.

So meaty 2A is the best move. Don't mash, just do a single 2A and look for "Counter".

Really helpful! So you're in block stun until she lands?

I thought a 5A could recovery in time when she supers, so what I'd suggest is double-tapping 5A quick. This way, a hit gets you to part 2 of auto-combo, a miss only whiffs the first A.

Scratch

um, since i double posted on accident
and have no idea how to delete because i'm a gaf noob

has anyone watched jiyuna's stream archive of netplay p4a matches? it's pretty funny shit, plus great gameplay and commentary :D

if you ever have doubts on your character and his or her viability, you should check it out.

replays include, gdlk yosuke, gdlk liz, gdlk narukami (which isn't jiyuna, though he's still not bad), gdlk aki, gdlk
sbo champ
mitsuru, and gdlk yukiko

Scratch

I looked into this and apparently I was wrong and most of the real DPs can be RC'd. I actually didn't know that. Hazama doesn't have a DP though and Jin only really has two, and not all of Tsubaki's are invincible and they are all prone to trading due to being projectiles, so they're garbage for other reasons. But it doesn't change the fact that the guy RCing his DP doesn't get another mixup out of it, because the RC is meant to cover the fact that your opponent blocked a move that is largely meant to be used only when you know it won't be blocked.

Yeah, Mitsuru's extra mixup isn't great, but it's an extra mixup. They gave a very powerful character with a very powerful DP a way to cover their DP and convert it into extra damage.

okay first, regarding the blazblue bit, i definitely have seen cases where people have dp'd, rc'd it, then continued pressure after their dp. i don't want to derail with blazblue talk, but if you dp, and they block and you rapid as soon as you see it's blocked, you're at an advantage because you're back to neutral while they're still recovering from guard stun.

i don't know why, but i really don't consider cancelling your dp into a super a mixup. i'm pretty sure mixup implies that you're on the offensive and forcing your opponent to guess. when you dp, which is pretty much a defensive move the way it's designed, it doesn't put you on the offensive, it merely stops your opponents offensive. and when your dp gets blocked, it doesn't even do that. so when people cancel their dp to super, it's more of a "holy shit, i fucked up," let's roll the dice one more time to see if i can come out on top. and even then let's present the two scenarios (this is under an assumption that both players are equally matched and have decent knowledge about this game):

1. you dp, they block, you bufudyne, they get hit. that's 3k~ damage on a good day and i think you'd have to coup droit to follow it up. even then 3k~ is not awful damage for 50 meter, i agree.

2. you dp, they block, you bufudyne, they block/roll. they then punish you with whatever move they want, let's say an akihiko 5b fatal counter, which leads into 6k+ damage and you're out 50 meter.

i'd say in most cases, this is a terrible mix up. because of how skewed the odds are towards you if this super is blocked.

but again this is really all overshadowed by the fact that mitsuru's dp can be guarantee punished from the air on regular block if you have a normal 8 frames or faster.

OK. So you actually CANNOT hit Mitsuru in the air after you block her DP. If you time a meaty 2A you can retract your foot quickly enough to avoid the ice super.

If you use Evasive Action, you will not recover quickly enough to punish Mitsuru if she decides not to use ice super. You also won't be in range.

So meaty 2A is the best move. Don't mash, just do a single 2A and look for "Counter".

or by doing this.

Ken

um, since i double posted on accident
and have no idea how to delete because i'm a gaf noob

has anyone watched jiyuna's stream archive of netplay p4a matches? it's pretty funny shit, plus great gameplay and commentary :D

if you ever have doubts on your character and his or her viability, you should check it out.

replays include, gdlk yosuke, gdlk liz, gdlk narukami (which isn't jiyuna, though he's still not bad), gdlk aki, gdlk
sbo champ
mitsuru, and gdlk yukiko

Ctrl-F Lab.

:<

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Somehow, someway, I've been promoted to B class

If I could just win games in a row, I'd likely easily be way higher in class than I am now. I always seemed to end up going 1 win, 1 loss, 1 win, 2 losses, 1 win, 1 loss, 1 win, 3 losses, 2 wins, 1 loss, then repeat.

Fugu

i don't know why, but i really don't consider cancelling your dp into a super a mixup.
You are on the offensive when you hit someone with a DP; you just usually don't have a followup because it defeats the purpose of a DP if you can follow it up. Mitsuru has a followup, so it might as well be a strange blockstring.

What puts the blockstring in Mitsuru's favour is that it's relatively safe and it's off of a DP. That she has any ability at all to prevent an opponent from punishing their DP after it's been blocked is nothing short of remarkable; when most characters have their DPs blocked, they're getting CH'd with something slow. The meaty 2A option allows you to not get CH'd by the super but doesn't change the fact that you cannot punish after the super.

When you RC a DP in BB (acronyms everywhere) you can't just start pressuring again because if your opponent reads it correctly (which isn't hard, considering they have no other option other than get CH'd) they can DP you for free if you try, unless it's Ragna's DP and you RC'd it on like the first possible frame.

Nyoro SF

What puts the blockstring in Mitsuru's favour is that it's relatively safe and it's off of a DP. That she has any ability at all to prevent an opponent from punishing their DP after it's been blocked is nothing short of remarkable; when most characters have their DPs blocked, they're getting CH'd with something slow. The meaty 2A option allows you to not get CH'd by the super but doesn't change the fact that you cannot punish after the super

Incorrect. If you block the super you get a free punish with Yukiko's 5A. The meaty 2A allows you to either punish the recovery (you also get a free counter hit for hitting her during the recovery frames of her DP) or you get a free blocked ice super, which is not safe.

After testing it a bit more, the meaty 2A is not hard to time at all. You actually have around a 3 frame window of forgiveness and it's easy to see when to start it. I'm making it my go to strategy against Mitsurus now.

I'd say no for yukiko/yosuke/naoto on that
As a nooblord with nooblord friends, Yukiko was one of the strongest characters we could pick. Not only were we too inept to effectively deal with her keep-away, but I also was able to get away with Fire Boosting occasionally because the pressure wasn't there.

Naoto was probably the only one that stood out as particularly weak in our scrubby hands, and after a bit of dicking around in training mode, I think I could put in some work with even her.

Since I can't play until wednesday, could anyone do me a favor and see if you can cancel Yosuke's j2C/D on block with something other than a super or OMC/OMB outside of Sukukaja? Like, 236A. I think I may have misread something, but I want to check and I can't :/

The meaty 2A option allows you to not get CH'd by the super but doesn't change the fact that you cannot punish after the super.

But isn't Bufudyne unsafe on block?

Scratch

You are on the offensive when you hit someone with a DP; you just usually don't have a followup because it defeats the purpose of a DP if you can follow it up. Mitsuru has a followup, so it might as well be a strange blockstring.

okay, i think we're getting terminology confused, or you think i mean something when i really don't. what i meant by offensive, is you're on the attack, you're going to pressure them, you have the right of way to do what you want to them. when you hit someone with a dp, you are interrupting someone's pressure. however, you don't get great oki after a DP, you don't get good mix up, you don't even get great damage. the only people who get more after their r action are yosuke, teddie, and kanji. everyone else, to the best of my knowledge, returns the game to neutral. yes it's a blockstring, by the technical sense, but ending your blockstring with a dp or a super is awful.

What puts the blockstring in Mitsuru's favour is that it's relatively safe and it's off of a DP. That she has any ability at all to prevent an opponent from punishing their DP after it's been blocked is nothing short of remarkable; when most characters have their DPs blocked, they're getting CH'd with something slow. The meaty 2A option allows you to not get CH'd by the super but doesn't change the fact that you cannot punish after the super

again, it's not really a blockstring as far as the definition is used, and it's not safe by any means.
more than half the cast can prevent an opponent from punishing their DP by going double or nothing, however mitsuru is the only one who can guarantee that this gamble will be played because you can only punish her dp from the front. i haven't tested the meaty 2a option, and i can't because i'm no where near a console, but i can believe that it works because it's also how you dealt with jin's c dp. but even beyond that, for the last time, you can punish her in the air while she falls. if you have an 8 frame or faster move if you don't, then meaty 2a seems to work.

When you RC a DP in BB (acronyms everywhere) you can't just start pressuring again because if your opponent reads it correctly (which isn't hard, considering they have no other option other than get CH'd) they can DP you for free if you try, unless it's Ragna's DP and you RC'd it on like the first possible frame.

i feel like you don't read my full posts, which kind of makes this irritating to keep repeating myself. also this paragraph is hard to understand, and it's not because of the acronyms. i think what you're saying is "when you rapid cancel a dp in bb, you can't start pressuring because if the opponent knew you were gonna dp, they can then punish your dp with a dp?" please correct me if this isn't what you're getting at, because this sounds so wrong.

again, one more time, if you use your dp with the full knowledge that it's unsafe, then you're probably gonna rapid it the second it connects. that means that you get all the hit stun / guard stun without any of the recovery. this means you are at an advantage. using ragna as an example. if you do this correctly. ragna will dp and stay on the ground. he will be at an advantage. if you do this incorrectly, which i believe is the scenario you're thinking of is, he'll be in the air, which means that the guardstun is over and now you're at a disadvantage.

yes, which is another reason why this mitsuru dp shenanigan is a double or nothing gamble :)

Fighting a good yosuke as Kanji is so hard.

He's so hard to hold still

The only thing that slows him down is EX gotcha if I'm at a good position

Even if I stun him,He can dash towards me and then cross me up and kunai.

Fighting a good yosuke as Kanji is so hard.

He's so hard to hold still

The only thing that slows him down is EX gotcha if I'm at a good position

Even if I stun him,He can dash towards me and then cross me up and kunai.

I can help you practice if you want :p

But until wednesday because fuck school -.-

Fugu

EDIT: Enough talking, is anyone playing right now?

Apparently. I had tested this wrong.

okay, i think we're getting terminology confused, or you think i mean something when i really don't. what i meant by offensive, is you're on the attack, you're going to pressure them, you have the right of way to do what you want to them. when you hit someone with a dp, you are interrupting someone's pressure. however, you don't get great oki after a DP, you don't get good mix up, you don't even get great damage. the only people who get more after their r action are yosuke, teddie, and kanji. everyone else, to the best of my knowledge, returns the game to neutral. yes it's a blockstring, by the technical sense, but ending your blockstring with a dp or a super is awful.
I'm calling it offensive because the person doing the DP is forcing the other player to block; reversing the situation from defensive to offensive is the basis of the term "reversal".

again, it's not really a blockstring as far as the definition is used, and it's not safe by any means.
more than half the cast can prevent an opponent from punishing their DP by going double or nothing, however mitsuru is the only one who can guarantee that this gamble will be played because you can only punish her dp from the front. i haven't tested the meaty 2a option, and i can't because i'm no where near a console, but i can believe that it works because it's also how you dealt with jin's c dp. but even beyond that, for the last time, you can punish her in the air while she falls. if you have an 8 frame or faster move if you don't, then meaty 2a seems to work.
I made a mistake when testing it (which I did while completely exhausted so it doesn't surprise me) that incorrectly caused me to believe that the super was safe on block. If it's not, then it's still nice but it's not really a big deal. The properties of the DP itself are more significant regardless.

i feel like you don't read my full posts, which kind of makes this irritating to keep repeating myself. also this paragraph is hard to understand, and it's not because of the acronyms. i think what you're saying is "when you rapid cancel a dp in bb, you can't start pressuring because if the opponent knew you were gonna dp, they can then punish your dp with a dp?" please correct me if this isn't what you're getting at, because this sounds so wrong.

again, one more time, if you use your dp with the full knowledge that it's unsafe, then you're probably gonna rapid it the second it connects. that means that you get all the hit stun / guard stun without any of the recovery. this means you are at an advantage. using ragna as an example. if you do this correctly. ragna will dp and stay on the ground. he will be at an advantage. if you do this incorrectly, which i believe is the scenario you're thinking of is, he'll be in the air, which means that the guardstun is over and now you're at a disadvantage.
I specifically mentioned Ragna's DP as one of the few examples where the person doing the DP can reasonably assume that they will still be on the advantage.

Assuming you RC at like, the first frame of the DP (which would mean assuming that it's not going to work) Jin's B and C DP would both have to be used more or less point blank for your opponent to still be in blockstun by the time you get to them due to the fact that they have huge hitboxes and are only level 3. Same deal with Tsubaki, with the added caveat that you will almost always be in the air and that the attack itself is a projectile (an extremely easy to beat projectile, at that). Platinum bat probably can also be RC'd into pressure, although likely not at max range or in the air. Makoto's can I guess, but the active frames are almost entirely in the air so that too is unlikely. Every other example either isn't a real DP (Bang's 6D, Mu's 214D) or can't be RC'd (Litchi's).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
How in the hell do you pick up on some shit like that? Whoever took that had to have been staring at that forever.

It was actually posted a long while back originally, and it's really not that hard to figure out especially at higher resolutions. Just scanning the background you can obviously see CD cover art there, and anyone familiar with the covers would make the immediate connections.

Click image for bigger since it's quoted:

Don't know if posted yet, but check out what Yosuke be listening to in his headphones.
Yosukestasteinmusic.jpg

Onemic

ggs Fugu, I'm still up for more if you want, my router just disconnected on me randomly.

Still too tense to accurately do the stuff Ive been practicing in training(like that random throw setup I kept trying to do or all those random ass dps I was throwing out to try that DP to super thing you guys have been discussing). I tell myself I should just use ranked as a sort of testing ground, but I can never make myself do it because I know I'll drop in rank heavily.

Fugu

ggs Fugu, I'm still up for more if you want, my router just disconnected on me randomly.

Still too tense to accurately do the stuff Ive been practicing in training(like that random throw setup I kept trying to do or all those random ass dps I was throwing out to try that DP to super thing you guys have been discussing). I tell myself I should just use ranked as a sort of testing ground, but I can never make myself do it because I know I'll drop in rank heavily.
I'm actually going to take a bit of a break. But maybe later.

GorillaJu

lol wut

No.

My internet isn't even very good and the online works great for me (and I've asked other players how my connection was to be sure).

Sorry you're having problems though.

Yeah. It's really bad for me. I'm on PS3 and I'm connecting to people with 4 bars. It is a mystery, because games that other people report as having poor netcode, like SFxT, work for me as if I'm in the arcade. That's how I expect online play to go in Japan, where my ping to other people in Tokyo is usually under 20ms.

Thanks for the responses, regardless. Not giving up on the game. I love Persona too much.

Fugu

My problem with netplay is that it's difficult for me to get into a ranked game. It works fine once it starts, though.

They should honestly just rename ranked to &#36890;&#20449;&#36895;&#24230;&#21046;&#38480;&#12398;&#12383;&#12417;&#36984;&#25246;&#12391;&#12365;&#12414;&#12379;&#12435;&#12290;as that most accurately describes my experiences playing it.

Onemic

My problem with netplay is that it's difficult for me to get into a ranked game. It works fine once it starts, though.

They should honestly just rename ranked to &#36890;&#20449;&#36895;&#24230;&#21046;&#38480;&#12398;&#12383;&#12417;&#36984;&#25246;&#12391;&#12365;&#12414;&#12379;&#12435;&#12290;as that most accurately describes my experiences playing it.

Do you use custom? I just set it to leave me in training mode and let other players connect to me.

Junpei superior confirmed.

You mean he wasn't superior before the fact?

The thing that drives me crazy about Arc games is that it feels daunting picking a character. I think I'm rolling with Chie because that is who I was most comfortable with when going through the character trials. She isn't an execution heavy character is she?

This really bugs me, but even if you switch your control layout, the button icons remain in the same position. It is the worst for trials when I'm wondering how the hell I got something wrong, then I realize my brain was picking up the button icon and I pushed the wrong button. This problem also pops up in training mode.
I always just looked through the character select screen, then played through their story mode to see if I liked the character enough to put up with their movelist.

Picking the cheapest character works too, in my case it is the cheapest female character.

Nert

I'm having a lot of fun learning the basics of this game and mashing things out with Naoto, but I have no idea what to do when I'm backed up against a corner. The standard dash always seems to get punished, there's no advancing guard (I play a lot of UMvC3), and her normals seem to get beaten out pretty easily. Do I just try to jump away and hope for the best, or am I missing something really obvious?

Top Bottom