• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

SUPARSTARX

Just got back from Next Level. Played like about three hours for the first time. I can't wait!

Also, if you're in the NYC area, please come to Big Two on August 8th, the day after Persona officially launches. Persona 4 Arena will debut at B2. Come down and support.

cj_iwakura

Anyone in the tri-county SoFla area(WPB/Broward/Miami), sounds like we'll be doing some P4(JP?) at Zero Ping in Hollywood this Saturday. Worse case scenario, I'll have my PS3 with BB, SF3, and such.

Hex

Banned
For those in the Tampa / St Petersburg area there is an event coming up on August 18th, i think it will be the first with Persona 4 Arena in the area.
Tampa Never Sleeps 3 .
Will be Persona 4 Arena, ( as well as KoF XIII, MvC 2, UmvC 3, SF3 fs, SF IV AE 2012) .
Tampa never sleeps is named such because registration starts at 8pm.
(And the place that it is held has awesome food and drinks)

BlackJace

Oh man guys, don't even bring up P5. I get so excited when I think about how it would look on modern hardware. Better graphics, longer Social Links, bigger Hub.....

*faints*

Trigger

3ds sequel only, vita if we are extremely lucky.

u9TDj.gif

Don't joke about such things. P5 will be announced for 360/PS3 soon. BELIEVE

Hex

Banned
sorry guys, I NEED TO BELIEVE!

There is no history to dictate any chance of it coming on the 3DS.
3DS is getting the SMT series, Catherine hit PS3 and 360 and the Persona games have all been console based so there is no reason that they would change.
Anyway, not the thread for this.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
3DS is getting the SMT series, Catherine hit PS3 and 360 and the Persona games have all been console based so there is no reason that they would change.
Anyway, not the thread for this.

Market shift. Since the last persona game came out during the PS2 era when the PS2 was the system most folks owned.
Seeing how atlus has shifted focus away from consoles onto portable there could be some truth to the speculation.
Even more so considering production costs rising these days with the constant outcry of people wanting graphics over everything else. (Thankfully Atlus for the most part dont listen to that though)

Though would be happy if they did release it on a console vs portable, just because of the tradition.

Yuripaw

Banned
I just wish developers would stop being so afraid to release versions of portable games on consoles for those who don't always wanna play on a small screen. Even if it's just a downloadable version, considering the PS3 and Vita are so similar, I would pay $60-$80 for a Vita game if it came with a downloadable PS3 version. Even if the graphics were subpar for a PS3 game, I wouldn't care.

I feel like with a system like the Vita, it just makes sense to have games on both systems now because that's the whole idea behind the system. You got your home version, then you transfer your save to the Vita version so you can take it on the go.

DR2K

Banned
Market shift. Since the last persona game came out during the PS2 era when the PS2 was the system most folks owned.
Seeing how atlus has shifted focus away from consoles onto portable there could be some truth to the speculation.
Even more so considering production costs rising these days with the constant outcry of people wanting graphics over everything else. (Thankfully Atlus for the most part dont listen to that though)

Though would be happy if they did release it on a console vs portable, just because of the tradition.

Right market shift is why they put P4 on the Vita while 3DS and PSP are both capable of running it.

Parakeetman

Right market shift is why they put P4 on the Vita while 3DS and PSP are both capable of running it.

Its still a portable device, therefore led away from the "console - PS2" where it was made popular in the first place. Obviously it was the right move done to push Vita sales, since the game did move units and with that thought in mind its most likely the whole reasoning behind having secured the title for the Vita knowing the existing market behind the IP.

I just wish developers would stop being so afraid to release versions of portable games on consoles for those who don't always wanna play on a small screen. Even if it's just a downloadable version, considering the PS3 and Vita are so similar, I would pay $60-$80 for a Vita game if it came with a downloadable PS3 version. Even if the graphics were subpar for a PS3 game, I wouldn't care.

I feel like with a system like the Vita, it just makes sense to have games on both systems now because that's the whole idea behind the system. You got your home version, then you transfer your save to the Vita version so you can take it on the go.

Agreed and Sony really needs to push harder on devs to get that included with games. The whole cross platform situation. Since really currently Sony is being a bit shit about things with the Vita and cross platform in general.

Anyways this is going OT but thats about all I have to say about the situation from what Ive seen from the trenches.

Esura

Banned
Yep, everyone should be good, also divided up by PS3 and XBL now.

Let me know if anyone's not up.

Also made use of this awesomeness:

TG9kv.gif

If you don't mind, could you add me?

PS3 - Esura - Chie/Aigis/Mitsuru

I plan on shedding many off my friend list so I can have room for Arena fighters.

Also, I'm copping that gif.

Stark

Banned

Definitely. I personally wish Persona 4 Golden was like that. Making good use of the cross PS3/Vita feature.

Parakeetman

That brofist gif is just too epic for words. Best thing about it too is its an actual move in game lol

Actually Atlus specifically said it was for Vita because they were unwilling to make any sacrifices to how the game worked and the content within like they had to do with 3 for P3P, which they view as a neutered version of the game, so they basically had to put it on the Vita.

DR2K

Banned
Its still a portable device, therefore led away from the "console - PS2" where it was made popular in the first place. Obviously it was the right move done to push Vita sales, since the game did move units and with that thought in mind its most likely the whole reasoning behind having secured the title for the Vita knowing the existing market behind the IP.

Right, but that portable has no market presence. Market shift in that context makes no sense.

Actually Atlus specifically said it was for Vita because they were unwilling to make any sacrifices to how the game worked and the content within like they had to do with 3 for P3P, which they view as a neutered version of the game, so they basically had to put it on the Vita.

Tales ot the Abyss on 3DS says hi.

It's kind of odd that P4G isn't on PS360 when P4A is, and vice versa for Vita. Atlus is so backwords with Persona.

Right, but that portable has no market presence. Market shift in that context makes no sense.

It's kind of odd that P4G isn't on PS360 when P4A is, and vice versa for Vita. Atlus is so backwords with Persona.

No backwards about it when the handheld market has been profitable in Japan and yields little risk.

Parakeetman

Look at the history of all the other games that Atlus has brought to the DS and 3DS.

You once again are getting hung up on the wrong part of the conversation. Market shift as in Atlus is obviously bringing a lot of their IPs onto portable devices away from consoles. Which is the whole point behind the "market shift" commentary which you keep seeming to misunderstand. An even larger fact showing this is the fact that SMT IV is coming out on a handheld console and not a home console (PS3 / 360 / Wii). Where as its last game was on the PS2. From a business perspective it makes sense that Atlus jumped from being mainly a console developer to more of a portable one. Since it helps not only keep down the general cost of production, there is a large userbase in general. That and Atlus games in general have been about gameplay / story vs. graphics

Once again DO NOT misread the commentary as thinking its just focused on the VITA itself. Im talking about the shift of Atlus from console to portable.

Remember Atlus is making games based off of the Japanese market initially and from there thinking about the West, that and they are a niche studio in general. Just that they do have some titles that did very well with the main stream such as Persona 3 & 4. Also Devil Survior. As Urban Scholar has mentioned the handheld market is very large and profitable here, hence the focus shift. Same goes with a lot of other companies, look at Square Enix for example. They went and released one of their flagship titles on the DS instead of a console with DQ9. Thats a pretty good sign that they are looking at the attach rate behind the handhelds with the added bonus of lowered development costs vs. console.

DR2K

Banned
Look at the history of all the other games that Atlus has brought to the DS and 3DS.

You once again are getting hung up on the wrong part of the conversation. Market shift as in Atlus is obviously bringing a lot of their IPs onto portable devices away from consoles. Which is the whole point behind the "market shift" commentary which you keep seeming to misunderstand. An even larger fact showing this is the fact that SMT IV is coming out on a handheld console and not a home console (PS3 / 360 / Wii). Where as its last game was on the PS2. From a business perspective it makes sense that Atlus jumped from being mainly a console developer to more of a portable one. Since it helps not only keep down the general cost of production, there is a large userbase in general. That and Atlus games in general have been about gameplay / story vs. graphics

Once again DO NOT misread the commentary as thinking its just focused on the VITA itself. Im talking about the shift of Atlus from console to portable.

Remember Atlus is making games based off of the Japanese market initially and from there thinking about the West, that and they are a niche studio in general. Just that they do have some titles that did very well with the main stream such as Persona 3 & 4. Also Devil Survior. As Urban Scholar has mentioned the handheld market is very large and profitable here, hence the focus shift. Same goes with a lot of other companies, look at Square Enix for example. They went and released one of their flagship titles on the DS instead of a console with DQ9. Thats a pretty good sign that they are looking at the attach rate behind the handhelds with the added bonus of lowered development costs vs. console.

Their biggest games are on consoles though. Catherine, P4A, and Demon Souls. They also have games on portables. They're pretty balanced for a niche JP company anywas.

No backwards about it when the handheld market has been profitable in Japan and yields little risk.

You're going to have to reread my post again. I meant Vita owners not getting P4A and PS360 owners not getting P4G as backwards.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DR2K said:
>>Demon's Souls<<

*sigh* Demon's Souls isn't theirs. They published that. They had no say in the platform choice. Just like Disgaea 1 isn't theirs and they had no say in it being put on PSP after the PS2 release.

Atlus chose for the P4 PSP2 port to be on the PSP2 because P3 PSP was popular and made them bank. If they really wanted to get P4 on the PS3 they could simply lazily hire someone to work with the PS2 emulator and sell it on the PSN store like they do P3:FES. They wouldn't put in the work to "remake" for the "HD twins" and you know it.

Parakeetman

Their biggest games are on consoles though. Catherine, P4A, and Demon Souls. They also have games on portables. They're pretty balanced for a niche JP company anywas.

You're going to have to reread my post again. I meant Vita owners not getting P4A and PS360 owners not getting P4G as backwards.

I wouldnt call P4A a "biggest game" since in general fighting games dont do massive sales like they used to. Only reason why P4A will be getting higher sales than the other ArcSys games is the Persona fans wandering over for the story mode which has been getting high praise. Besides the big name ones like Street Fighter and Tekken, fighting games really dont do massive sales like they used to.

Catherine was an experiment that went well for them and glad to see so also considering it was a very well done one overall. If it had not Id imagine they would pull back even farther from development on consoles.

Demons Souls wasnt their game. Originally SCEJ published it in Japan and Dark Souls was Bandai Namco. Atlus had nothing to do with the Japanese versions. Demons / Dark Souls was developed by From Software. Atlus only once again published the US version of the game.

This conversation isnt about what they "publish" its about actual development, hence why all the titles mentioned were titles that Atlus actually has developed / owns the IP. This is because publishing and actually development are two totally different things.

Busaiku

Persona 3 Portable sold more than the PS3 version of Catherine (the 360 version adds another 18k, which puts it about 16k over Persona 3 Portable).
Besides, if Persona 4 Golden were on PS3, SCEA would probably have some asinine policy and not allow it to be released in the US or something.

DR2K

Banned
*sigh* Demon's Souls isn't theirs. They published that. They had no say in the platform choice. Just like Disgaea 1 isn't theirs and they had no say in it being put on PSP after the PS2 release.

Atlus chose for the P4 PSP2 port to be on the PSP2 because P3 PSP was popular and made them bank. If they really wanted to get P4 on the PS3 they could simply lazily hire someone to work with the PS2 emulator and sell it on the PSN store like they do P3:FES. They wouldn't put in the work to "remake" for the "HD twins" and you know it.

I'm aware they published it, but it was a major game for them regardless.

A digital release of P4G would work though. It's just backwords that they're releasing a sequal and prequal on opposite consoles.

Parakeetman

I'm aware they published it, but it was a major game for them regardless.

A digital release of P4G would work though. It's just backwords that they're releasing a sequal and prequal on opposite consoles.

If you are aware, then you would have know how silly it was to make that statement. As its just so off topic from what is being discussed. Especially when this is talking about IPs that are actually developed by Atlus.

DR2K

Banned
If you are aware, then you would have know how silly it was to make that statement. As its just so off topic from what is being discussed. Especially when this is talking about IPs that are actually developed by Atlus.

Being made by someone else has little to do with my point. *hint*publishing games costs lots of money*end hint*

1 more week.

hypernima

Banned
I cant buy this game for funds but I think I might try it out at my local scene if available.
I hear it's a lot like GG so I am down.

Beelzebub

Well history does show there is a Persona game supposedly slated for 3DS although who really know's what that will come to be... therefore, there is a slim chance. Personally, I enjoy playing Persona and RPG's in general more on a handheld so that would be sweet, but I feel like it's coming to console's.

BlackJace

I love my 3DS, and the Vita is a sweet piece of hardware, but putting P5 on handhelds would be insulting. It needs to be a huge project.

Anybody have info on all the types of counters in this game? Thanks!

After seeing Catherine, P5 on a portable device would piss a lot of people off.

They scrapped the third party engine in favor of an in-house one prior to Catherine's release so I'm assuming that P5 not only looks like Catherine but it will run on PS3, 360, and maybe even a late Wii U port.

Top Bottom