• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I haven't played P4G, I don't think you need to finish it before playing P4A.

P4A's story is about 20 hours long if you don't skip stuff, but I'm really enjoying it. Only have Akihiko, Aigis and Elizabeth left to go.

Oh yeah, you can likely go in blind without having playing the previous games and still pick up on the story pretty easily. If you have played through though, you'll catch references and certain scenes will have a lot more impact than others.

Elizabeth's story will also make a TON more sense if you played through P3 and P3 The Answer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The negative is that it has a longer recovery so when I'm in really close range unless you yourself are in recovery, most likely your 5A will beat mine. The tough thing about mitsuru s knowing what range you're poking and your options you have at those ranges. Something I'm not even close to mastering yet.

Oh and you should block more. In some of those games Id literally just walk up and DP you everytime. One thing I noticed though, unless I did it too late during our match, Mitsus DP to super wont work and will be CH'd if the opponent does a super to you as you come down.

Block too much: YOU'RE BEING TOO PASSIVE
Block too little: YOU NEED TO BLOCK MORE.

MFW: 12/31 Minato panel (Spoilers for people that haven't played P3 obviously)

Nyoro SF

In all honesty the fans arent what you should be worried about in terms of zoning you out. Its her stupid Persona and her fire attacks/overhead that can turn into unblockables.

Yeah I get a lot more mileage out of Persona attacks than fans. Fans are just there to stop people from jumping most of the time.

I just learned yesterday that if a fan hits an airborne opponent on counter-hit, the D Maragi followup will always combo without me having to manually detonate (unless you're really far away). :D

Sophia

In all honesty the fans arent what you should be worried about in terms of zoning you out. Its her stupid Persona and her fire attacks/overhead that can turn into unblockables.

Nothing more enjoyable than baiting someone into that overhead. :3

XiaNaphryz

Nothing more enjoyable than baiting someone into that overhead. :3

Personally, I find it more amusing suddenly rushing in and AOAing through their pokes (or better yet, if they decide to block low) to air combo them into the corner then backing off and resuming pressure/zoning.

Sophia

Personally, I find it more amusing suddenly rushing in and AOAing through their pokes (or better yet, if they decide to block low) to air combo them into the corner then backing off and resuming pressure/zoning.

I found myself using AOAs as Yukiko a lot, if for no other reason then to throw them off. >_>;

TheSeks

It's both. :|

Same as Mitsuru's ice whip Persona attack. Try to poke the Persona's attack get hit/chilled for it.

Onemic

It's both. :|

Same as Mitsuru's ice whip Persona attack. Try to poke the Persona's attack get hit/chilled for it.

Her Ice whip attack is god awful. 2D and 8D are alright to whip out and surprise your opponent, but for the most part they don't see much use. 5D is even worse and is only useful in very situational areas and against Naoto.

Nyoro SF

Her Ice whip attack is god awful. 2D and 8D are alright to whip out and surprise your opponent, but for the most part they don't see much use. 5D is even worse and is only useful in very situational areas and against Naoto.

Indeed, Mitsuru's best attacks are her normals. 5A, 5B, 2AB. The ice whip is nice for an occasional surprise attack but it's really her jumping B that annoys me the most.

Yeah, her Ds are mostly combo material.

Indeed, Mitsuru's best attacks are her normals. 5A, 5B, 2AB. The ice whip is nice for an occasional surprise attack but it's really her jumping B that annoys me the most.

Until I did her challenges, I didn't realize just how good that move was :/

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You play Teddie. He has the best Autocombo in the game. I honestly have not played a Teddie high ranked or low, who didn't abuse their autocombo every chance they got.

I'm a Sirlin Scrub, so I play according to an arbitrary rule set that exists in my head and it tells me relying on the auto-combo is bad.

Busaiku

You play Teddie. He has the best Autocombo in the game. I honestly have not played a Teddie high ranked or low, who didn't abuse their autocombo every chance they got.

A Mitsuru is complaining about another character's autocombo?

Teddie's autocombo is bad, you can get much more damage off of a cr.B after the 2nd A.
A raw autocombo is only 1.5k.

Onemic

A Mitsuru is complaining about another character's autocombo?

Teddie's autocombo is bad, you can get much more damage off of a cr.B after the 2nd A.
A raw autocombo is only 1.5k.

Not complaining just saying that it's good.

Teddies autocombo is one of the best in the game, just because of the amount of damage you can get out of it depending on the situation. Not a lot of Mitsurus use her full autocombo once they get a grasp of her general midscreen 1.7k combo. I have yet to see one Teddie I've faced not abuse the thing to death. It catches a lot of shit from a variety of ranges.

So I have still sadly put any time into this game but being a fighter NOOOOOOOOOOO but I did have one general fighting game question.

What exactly does it mean to cancel. I've done it in KOF games often enough on accident but I never got exactly what it does or what it means to cancel.

XiaNaphryz

So I have still sadly put any time into this game but being a fighter NOOOOOOOOOOO but I did have one general fighting game question.

What exactly does it mean to cancel. I've done it in KOF games often enough on accident but I never got exactly what it does or what it means to cancel.

Interrupting a move before it completes its animation to perform something else. So a super cancel is entering the command for a super move while the current attack animation is still going on, a jump cancel is performing a jump before the current attack animation is going, etc.

totowhoa

Banned
Does anybody know if this game on sale anywhere at the moment? My fiance is going to be out of town for the next few days so I was thinking about picking this up and sinking a lot of time into it.

Interrupting a move before it completes its animation to perform something else. So a super cancel is entering the command for a super move while the current attack animation is still going on, a jump cancel is performing a jump before the current attack animation is going, etc.

So what exactly is the benefit of this?

Onemic

ggs busaiku. Sorry for the random dc, had to attend to something quickly. I'm down for more games now if anyone wants to do some 1 on 1 sparring.

One thing I noticed with Teddy is that I have to play him patiently, or else I just get my ass hurt. You punished me on wakeup with that TV so many times and I didn't learn :(

Lengthens your combo and generally pertains to supers and specials.

Geneijin

Does anybody know if this game on sale anywhere at the moment? My fiance is going to be out of town for the next few days so I was thinking about picking this up and sinking a lot of time into it.
I think the best you can do is either newegg.com or Amazon.com for ~$53.

TWILT

Banned
Good games Busaiku. Don't really know what happened with the lag in those last two matches, but...

Does Yu's oki not work on Teddie properly or is that just me sucking? It worked a few times, but I kept getting DP'd most of the time. I also need to stop dropping my OMC combos. :|

TheSeks

I dunno, it certainly kept me at bay because any time I tried to 2A it it wouldn't work and I'd get hit and I simply just waited for it to vanish before attempting to hit you. :/

Fugu

EDIT: ggs Seks. My block strings and hit confirms still need serious work. I should just start practicing them against the computer
You do silly fullscreen charge move (I don't know move names) into 5B, which can be low profiled by a lot of characters' 2As. You might try mixing this up by following up with your AoA instead every once in awhile because your AoA will guard point a 2A and will also hit high.

Onemic

I dunno, it certainly kept me at bay because any time I tried to 2A it it wouldn't work and I'd get hit and I simply just waited for it to vanish before attempting to hit you. :/

Just block it man. It's a shitty long range attack, so there's no way you can 2A it unless I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

You do silly fullscreen charge move (I don't know move names) into 5B, which can be low profiled by a lot of characters' 2As. You might try mixing this up by following up with your AoA instead every once in awhile because your AoA will guard point a 2A and will also hit high.

Thanks I'll try that. Mitsus AoA is pretty terrible, so I try not relying on it so much.

Fugu

Thanks I'll try that. Mitsus AoA is pretty terrible, so I try not relying on it so much.
If your opponent isn't punishing 5B and you feel they're not going to start, you're free to just keep doing it. But if you think they might, bust out the AoA. Alternatively, use the AoA first so that you can save your (more powerful) 5B option for when they've already started to predict the AoA.

Onemic

If your opponent isn't punishing 5B and you feel they're not going to start, you're free to just keep doing it. But if you think they might, bust out the AoA. Alternatively, use the AoA first so that you can save your (more powerful) 5B option for when they've already started to predict the AoA.

Does B droit have to be fully charged for the mixup to work?

Fugu

Does B droit have to be fully charged for the mixup to work?
I have no idea; I can't test it right now. I think not.
Also, I said 5B, but I meant 5A. 5A can be low profiled by 2A, not 5B. 5B is just beaten outright because the blockstring is not safe.

Onemic

I have no idea; I can't test it right now. I think not.
Also, I said 5B, but I meant 5A. 5A can be low profiled by 2A, not 5B. 5B is just beaten outright because the blockstring is not safe.

Oh, then I think it's dependent on spacing. I got my 5A mixup after a fully charged B droit beaten by Teddies 5A/grab in my matches with Busaiku a few times

Sorry for the disconnect solar.Yosuke is still my kanji's bane

seeing the S rank aikhiko doing a 1hk setup and having it work on that kanji made me laugh me ass off.

Top Bottom