• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Onemic

It seems like the only option you have with Aigis when you're mitsu is to rush her ass down hard. When she goes into Orgia mode, rush that shit down even harder.

Onemic

It was OMB combo

bah, that stupid combo is so damn versatile. Time to start learning Mitsus, so I can join the troll train.

and 214A is totally safe on block if used with his persona? I couldn't punish it at all.

EDIT: ggs guys, my connection dropped. :( Our matches were pretty equal, it seemed like we all had the same win/loss ratio

TWILT

Banned
Good games Proto! Sorry for the random disconnects; internet has been going haywire today. =/

On the bright side, I'm getting better at blocking Aigis! =D
GGs Twilt.

I'm sorry about that Teddie IK. That was the biggest troll on my part.
I probably shouldn't have backdashed there lol. First time I get hit by a IK at the start of the round though haha.

G-Pink

Picked up the game semi-recently, and I'm just about done story mode, and up to at least 17 on everyone's challenges. Trying my hand at Naoto, but I've got a ton of training to do. Planning on getting a Live card in a day or two, looking forward to playing with some of you guys.

Fugu

I don't like this game, and I only continue to play it because the BB scene is dead and I feel obligated to learn it.

Bleh.

Fugu

I'm not going to get used to it. I'm probably going to sell it and go back to playing Quake. I dislike it so much that it's probably not worth my time.

Scratch

Good games Busaiku. Don't really know what happened with the lag in those last two matches, but...

Does Yu's oki not work on Teddie properly or is that just me sucking? It worked a few times, but I kept getting DP'd most of the time. I also need to stop dropping my OMC combos. :|

it doesn't work against teddie. teddie gets out for free everytime. this is probably yu's worst match up, outside of mitsuru. teddie's range can also contend with yu's, thanks to his amazing 5a. against teddie, you have to play extremely honestly. we don't get any oki shenanigans :(

B+D
- (dash) CH 5C
- FC 2C

A+B
- (dash) 5C

Bearscrew A/B (air version)
- (dash) CH 5B

Puppeteddie A/B
- dash CH 5B

Teddievision A/B
- dash 5B

Tomahawk
- (during flash) 214D/dash B+D
- (during flash) Cross Slash

Mid-Air Tomahawk
- (during flash) B+D

Kamui Kablooey
- dash CH 5B
- (during flash) run CH 214A/FC 2C
- (during flash) Myriad Truths

here are some punshes vs. teddie, taken from the dustloop matchup thread. credit goes to VR-Raiden

xCobalt

For those who play Naoto, can someone give me some tips landing the SMP loop? I always miss the sweep after the opponent is stuck on the wall. Is there a particular visual cue you use to determine when to place the trap and sweep?

Fugu

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it?
I feel that the inconsistencies across characters (specifically in regards to learning curve) make learning the game not fun. Because I do not find the game to be mechanically superior to its contemporaries, I do not see the need to subject myself to learning it.

You should give Mitsu a try. She's the most similar to Litchi.

BB scene is dead because Extend sucks balls.
Extend isn't as bad as the community surrounding Extend is.

Mitsuru isn't similar to Litchi.

I feel that the inconsistencies across characters (specifically in regards to learning curve) make learning the game not fun. Because I do not find the game to be mechanically superior to its contemporaries, I do not see the need to subject myself to learning it.

I have no idea what you're talking about. What inconsistencies? This game is pretty balanced... Even low tiers have good chance to win. Tell that to Tager and Tsubaki.

Also, I couldn't care less about the community. Extend just sucks.

I never played Extend so I can't comment on it. Just that I didn't feel like paying $40 for a few new story modes and one new character.

I am completely onboard for Chronophantasma though.

Busaiku

Oh yeah, onemic, you never Bufudyne after your Getsu-ei.
Of course you shouldn't always use it, but you can easily bait people.

Fugu

I have no idea what you're talking about. What inconsistencies? This game is pretty balanced... Even low tiers have good chance to win. Tell that to Tager and Tsubaki.

I'm not discussing tiers. The game might be perfectly balanced at the top, but it's irrelevant because getting there is no fun so I have no desire to put in the effort.

Okay, Extend sucks. I still have more fun playing it than I do P4A.

Onemic

it doesn't work against teddie. teddie gets out for free everytime. this is probably yu's worst match up, outside of mitsuru. teddie's range can also contend with yu's, thanks to his amazing 5a. against teddie, you have to play extremely honestly. we don't get any oki shenanigans :(

here are some punshes vs. teddie, taken from the dustloop matchup thread. credit goes to VR-Raiden

Wut. Yu mitsu matchup is a legit 5-5

I'm not discussing tiers. The game might be perfectly balanced at the top, but it's irrelevant because getting there is no fun so I have no desire to put in the effort.

Okay, Extend sucks. I still have more fun playing it than I do P4A.

I bought BB extend ( never played BB ) and I never really got into bb. But P4A I picked up almost instantly.

different game for different folks

Fugu

I bought BB extend ( never played BB ) and I never really got into bb. But P4A I picked up almost instantly.

different game for different folks
No disagreement here.

I just wish the P4A community hadn't enveloped the BB community. It's unfortunate if you like playing BB.

Onemic

Oh yeah, onemic, you never Bufudyne after your Getsu-ei.
Of course you shouldn't always use it, but you can easily bait people.

Getsuei is her 8c isn't it? I never use that move except when avoiding your super as I haven't learned her aa combos yet. If its her 5c I'm still in the process of mastering the 1.7k midscreen combo that uses it.

Scratch

Wut. Yu mitsu matchup is a legit 5-5

is it? i thought it was 6-4 her favor. i even read it was a 7-3 somewhere, but i don't think it's that bad. i remember that the only 7-3's are:

mitsuru - yukiko
liz - kanji (not sure about this one)
mitsuru - liz

could i get a source for the mitsuru vs. narukami match up? i'm curious to whether it's true or not.

Fugu

is it? i thought it was 6-4 her favor. i even read it was a 7-3 somewhere, but i don't think it's that bad. i remember that the only 7-3's are:

mitsuru - yukiko
mitsuru - liz

could i get a source for the mitsuru vs. narukami match up? i'm curious to whether it's true or not.

The three 7-3 matchups described by stunedge are Liz vs. Kanji (Liz's favour), Slab vs. Yukiko (Slab's favour) and Mitsuru vs. Liz (Mitsuru's favour).

So what exactly is wrong with Extend anyways? All I hear from the BB community are really dumb reasons. Not even something like the pricetag.

I never played Extend so I can't comment on it. Just that I didn't feel like paying $40 for a few new story modes and one new character.

I am completely onboard for Chronophantasma though.

I don't think many people felt like it either.

Mitsuru isn't similar to Litchi.

I see, I am not liking the game as much I thought I would either.

Onemic

mitsuru - yukiko
mitsuru - liz

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14834-Yu-Narukami-vs-Mitsuru-Kirijo

Yu has a whole lot of bs that works on mitsu.

I also don't know why people hate on extend past the 40 dollar asking price

BB's community was dead before P4A came out. It's extra dead now.

I think they will be back for CP since it's a real sequel.

At least as much as a sequel one can be for a fighting game.

3 characters revealed so far. I'm expecting more to be revealed since if you count the two characters removed(or not who knows) that would leave you with one additional character to the roster.

Noi

I still love me some Extend and play it on occasion, but I'm feeling a bit apathetic about it since the CP reveal due to the fate of the character I play as being completely uncertain. I don't know whether to expect the same playstyle but tweaked like the other characters or a complete retooling, so the urge to get better with Lambda kinda poofed until then. :/ Worst case scenario is I have to switch characters entirely, which would make me really bitter.

In the meantime, I can keep fooling around with the other robot girl and this game's zoner to get better in that aspect at least.

Scratch

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14834-Yu-Narukami-vs-Mitsuru-Kirijo

Yu has a whole lot of bs that works on mitsu.

I also don't know why people hate on extend past the 40 dollar asking price

eh. the guy says he read somewhere from someone. i'd rather have a concrete source, but i'll take your word for it.

and to correct myself, the worst match ups in the game closest to 7-3 are

mitsur - liz
liz - kanji
slab - yukiko

according to stunedge

here's more of an elaboration to why this is the case

Elizabeth vs. Mitsuru
Droit destroys every single option Elizabeth has, Elizabeth has to guess "exactly" right to take the dmg and very risky

Yukiko vs. Shadow
Persona guard blocks all projectiles, DP is too good against Yukiko

Kanji vs. Elizabeth
Zoning allday + 2B, JB anti-air keeps away kanji so good

When I was trying out extend it was just so...Iono. So unsatisfying. It didn't click like other games.

Though P4A so far is like 3rd strike fun for me, meaning its the most fun fighter I have ever played.

The only thing I dislike about P4A is the dmg. I wished the dmg was a bit lower on certain characters. IE naoto actually getting buffed and taking away SMP, aigis not getting 4k dmg off an easy instant overhead or sweep mixup, and etc.

I'm ok with 50% dmg like kanji, who has to work for it. I'm less ok with aigis just putting on orgia mode and making you guess 5 times in 2 secs for the same dmg + oki setup on either option of high or low.

I still love me some Extend and play it on occasion, but I'm feeling a bit apathetic about it since the CP reveal due to the fate of the character I play as being completely uncertain. I don't know whether to expect the same playstyle but tweaked like the other characters or a complete retooling, so the urge to get better with Lambda kinda poofed until then. :/ Worst case scenario is I have to switch characters entirely, which would make me really bitter.

In the meantime, I can keep fooling around with the other robot girl and this game's zoner to get better in that aspect at least.

Given the ending of Continuum Shift, she'll probably be back.

Hopefully with a redesign like they did with Noel.

As for P4:A, I need to finish that story mode.

Noi

Given the ending of Continuum Shift, she'll probably be back.

Hopefully with a redesign like they did with Noel.

As for P4:A, I need to finish that story mode.

No doubt about that. But unless she's getting a total reworking, her not being playable during the loketest makes me think I'll have to wait until close to the console release before I hear anything about her, ala Mu-12 in CS.

So what exactly is wrong with Extend anyways? All I hear from the BB community are really dumb reasons. Not even something like the pricetag

The main problem since CS2 is that they tried balancing by bringing everyone down, instead of making everyone go up. Although CT and CS1 are considered to be massively lopsided on the tier scale (as in, not everyone is viable), it was damn fun because of the characters that ARE viable, they were entertaining to watch because of all the BS they can pull off. If they had just brought up the bad characters to the top tiers, it would've been fine, but they've decided to just trim the good stuff. Hence, Extend ended up being horrible.

Imagine no hype moments. Yeah, that's what we ended up getting.

Top Bottom