• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

TWILT

Banned
Good games guys! I need to stop dropping my OMC combos. X_x
GG's.

If you fighting guru's can give me some pointers on why my Chie sucks so badly I'd be open to improvements.

I'm no Chie expert, but a lot of times, you seem to go for her Dragon Kick move even if I block it which is pretty unsafe. You might be mashing a little too much. Learn to use her Oki set ups with her 5D move. Good Chie players keep using it until the opponent makes a mistake. Marlinpie is a good Chie player, so you might wanna look up videos with him playing.

Aside from that, you don't seem to tech alot; there were a couple combos I did that you would have fell out of if you had held a button. Your blocking needs some work too; I managed to hit you alot with the AoA overhead (then again, my blocking is pretty ass too lol). You might learn more about Chie on Dustloop, including some BnB combos.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?224-Chie-Satonaka

Good luck, and sorry if I wasn't helpful. =P

SVViv.png

I finally got it but looking at ones I have left.I doubt I'll get Mitsuru or the other achievement.
<_<

Onemic

Good games onemic. Not sure what caused that huge lag spike, but I had to go after that match anyway. :x

ggs. I hate Yukiko so much. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that Yukiko has two very easy to set up unblockables and I have no idea how to avoid it. And her stupid DP is hard as hell to punish, I have no idea when its safe to go in or not.

Beats

ggs. I hate Yukiko so much. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that Yukiko has two very easy to set up unblockables and I have no idea how to avoid it. And her stupid DP is hard as hell to punish, I have no idea when its safe to go in or not.

I only keep doing that particular one until the opponent rolls through it. I usually do Maragidyne (C, the one that goes towards the opponent) first, then throw out the other version for the unblockable. But if you're not getting hit by the 'C' version you can roll through it if you time it right. Other than that I don't think there's much else you can do unless you're Yukiko (since she can just DP through it).

Her DP seems kind of bad though compared to some other characters. :\

Alucrid

Banned
I think I've had more hate mail in this game than all other fighters combined. People really hate fans.

Your level can rank up in player matches right? I just got C rank so I hope I'm done with Ranked matches forever.

My fraudulent rank B was quickly exposed when I came across the same player 4 times in a row, the guy isn't amazing but still a better Akihiko than me. Ranked my ass down twice, now I'm back to my rightful place....

Quadratic

Good games guys! I need to stop dropping my OMC combos. X_x

I'm no Chie expert, but a lot of times, you seem to go for her Dragon Kick move even if I block it which is pretty unsafe. You might be mashing a little too much. Learn to use her Oki set ups with her 5D move. Good Chie players keep using it until the opponent makes a mistake. Marlinpie is a good Chie player, so you might wanna look up videos with him playing.

Aside from that, you don't seem to tech alot; there were a couple combos I did that you would have fell out of if you had held a button. Your blocking needs some work too; I managed to hit you alot with the AoA overhead (then again, my blocking is pretty ass too lol). You might learn more about Chie on Dustloop, including some BnB combos.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?224-Chie-Satonaka

Good luck, and sorry if I wasn't helpful. =P

Thanks to everyone who gave me some tips. Beats too. I read your post from a few days ago. Going to download some Marlinpie videos and watching them on my flight.

I only keep doing that particular one until the opponent rolls through it. I usually do Maragidyne (C, the one that goes towards the opponent) first, then throw out the other version for the unblockable. But if you're not getting hit by the 'C' version you can roll through it if you time it right. Other than that I don't think there's much else you can do unless you're Yukiko (since she can just DP through it).

Her DP seems kind of bad though compared to some other characters. :\

Yeah there are like 3-4 ways to get out pending on how its done.

1) late tech
2) burst
3) SJ airdash backward
4) invul super out
5) dp (if you're dp has invul frames and you can time it)
6) run straight

Her dp is one of the worst in the game. Mediocre hit box, tons of recovery, does 100 dmg, and seems like it has low invul frames but it makes it up with a single guard point.

Noi

Yeah there are like 3-4 ways to get out pending on how its done.

Her dp is one of the worst in the game. Mediocre hit box, tons of recovery, does 100 dmg, and seems like it has low invul frames but it makes it up with a single guard point.

Onemic complaining about Yukiko's DP while playing Mitsuru is something I find hilarious.
KuGsj.gif

Nyoro SF

Yukiko's reversal is one of the reasons I can't quit the character. It's anti-crossup and eats projectiles, which is just key in my gameplay. It's saved my butt too many times and even helps me avoid Instant Kills. I can't give it up.

I've got a question for P4A GAF.

I picked up the glasses DLC ('cause I'm a sucker like that), and when I pick a pair of glasses, they show up on the character in battle and on their portraits in battle (like awakening/1-hit KO) but they do not show up on the pre-battle portraits.

I know I played against someone online who had Akihiko's goggles showing up on the portrait. Is there some trick to getting them to show up?

EDIT: Also unrelated, but what is DP? Did some googling and saw "Dragon Punch", but is that right? Kind of sounds like you guys are talking about Furious Actions. Just trying to learn something.

Onemic

Onemic complaining about Yukiko's DP while playing Mitsuru is something I find hilarious.
KuGsj.gif

Its just really annoying to punish for me personally. I guess now that I know about Mitsus DP to super the same could be said for her, but first I have to be able to actually do it consistently. :p

Its just really annoying to punish for me personally. I guess now that I know about Mitsus DP to super the same could be said for her, but first I have to be able to actually do it consistently. :p

difference is yukiko can't cancel dp into anything. Not even OMC IIRC.

By just visually guesstimating I have to say yukiko's dp is atleast 25-35 frames of recovery. I want to say more but at the very least its around those frames of recovery.

Fugu

Mash DP. You can get a persona hit out of it too. Just don't do this too many times as you'll get your DP punished.

In terms of beating Yukiko's DP, if she's already started it, you can just beat it with any normal. If you want to bait it on wakeup without having to... well, use any intelligence, use a distant 5A; if Yukiko uses her DP, it'll whiff.

Ken

I've got a question for P4A GAF.

I picked up the glasses DLC ('cause I'm a sucker like that), and when I pick a pair of glasses, they show up on the character in battle and on their portraits in battle (like awakening/1-hit KO) but they do not show up on the pre-battle portraits.

I know I played against someone online who had Akihiko's goggles showing up on the portrait. Is there some trick to getting them to show up?

EDIT: Also unrelated, but what is DP? Did some googling and saw "Dragon Punch", but is that right? Kind of sounds like you guys are talking about Furious Actions. Just trying to learn something.

DP = Dragon Punch = R-Action/BD.

Sophia

Huh, fond some info on the soundtrack. Looks like Shoji Meguro + Atsushi Kitajoh as someone earlier suspected, and Kitajoh did do the ending song. :O

Opening song is Meguro.

raven777

kinda curious, how is the story more?

I have played P4 in PS2 a while ago, and I will be playing P4G from next week. I do remember the story vaguely.

Should I finish P4G before I start the story mode of P4U?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This game is crazy as hell. Finally got around to playing it and went through the arcade mode with Teddie on normal. Is it right to assume that the arcade story is like the "sparksnotes" version of the story mode?

I do like the game, but I rely on auto combo waaaaaay too much, trying to get away from that. Despite that, the game doesn't feel too overwhelming in terms of special attacks and stuff. It's not that they're all quarter circles, not that I mind, but it's more that there's not a buttload of them (for teddie at least). I don't feel overwhelmed by the amount of special moves. Had a few times where I lost myself on screen with all the stuff that was going on, but that's just a matter of getting used to the pace.

Combos is another thing though, I have never been good at combos in any fighting game.

I had fun though! Really funny interactions between all the characters. Cutscenes are very entertaining. I love the title system online too; I went with "Best Bud Banana Hustler."

Also the VA for Labrys is a hell of a lot better than I expected.

Glad to see you didn't succumb to buyer's remorse after all.

And yes, that's pretty much all arcade mode is, though it ends right before the real climax and Liz plus both Labs don't have any arcade story.

It was hesitation to try another fighter more than buyer's remorse, but that was only the first week. After that it just turned into another "I have so many games I could play and I can't make a decision." I definitely won't be getting rid of the game and I am going to try to focus on playing it more now.

Noi

I had fun though! Really funny interactions between all the characters. Cutscenes are very entertaining. I love the title system online too; I went with "Best Bud Banana Hustler."

Glad to see you didn't succumb to buyer's remorse after all.

And yes, that's pretty much all arcade mode is, though it ends right before the real climax and Liz plus both Labs don't have any arcade story.

Ken

I do like the game, but I rely on auto combo waaaaaay too much, trying to get away from that. Despite that, the game doesn't feel too overwhelming in terms of special attacks and stuff. It's not that they're all quarter circles, not that I mind, but it's more that there's not a buttload of them (for teddie at least). I don't feel overwhelmed by the amount of special moves. Had a few times where I lost myself on screen with all the stuff that was going on, but that's just a matter of getting used to the pace.

Teddie only has two supers anyways, and one is Awakening only. I think the most supers any character has is 3 anyways, except for Liz.

Dantis

Huh, fond some info on the soundtrack. Looks like Shoji Meguro + Atsushi Kitajoh as someone earlier suspected, and Kitajoh did do the ending song. :O

Opening song is Meguro.

Posted this a few pages back. Most of my guesses were right, which I don't know whether to be proud of or embarrassed by. ;)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Naoto too. Has like what...4 non awakening and 1 awakening.

I'm not worried about the supers or any of the special moves. All that takes is a little practice.

My problem is going to be with the combos. I'm the type of person who uses special moves in fighting games like they're going out of style. It's rare for me to actually go through a normal combo using simple punches and kicks and ending with a special move. I have a very hard time inputting the buttons at the correct time to actually link different attacks.

GorillaJu

I'm not just trying to be a negative Nancy - I really like the fighting system in this game and despite my issues with network lag I'm still getting tons of enjoyment just out of training mode, even.

But the sound quality is terrible. :( The voices drive me nuts.. on good speakers they're atrocious.

T.O.P

Banned
Oh god Play-Asia will make me go crazy

They asked for a scan of my CC (i used Visa but i actually paid with Paypal) and an ID card

But i can't seem to understand if they received the mail or what, has anyone had any experiences with Play Asia lately? :x

Ken

They asked for a scan of my CC (i used Visa but i actually paid with Paypal) and an ID card

But i can't seem to understand if they received the mail or what, has anyone had any experiences with Play Asia lately? :x

I remember them asking me for this too when I tried ordering a 3DS. I just emailed them and said I was uncomfortable with sharing scans of those and they canceled my order.

T.O.P

Banned
I remember them asking me for this too when I tried ordering a 3DS. I just emailed them and said I was uncomfortable with sharing scans of those and they canceled my order.

Well, too late for that e.e

They're the only one site i was able find that are able to ship a ntsc console to Europe e.e

Beckx

Mine have all been fine, but I've paid with credit card. When I ordered my JP 360 in the spring they called to confirm the order, which is the only out of the ordinary thing (but that order was using Paypal, and my Paypal email was different than my PA email).

Please don't scare me, I will start worrying about my ZoE HD Premium edition. :)

------

So, if so many of us are the Worst Player Ever, why aren't we having a League of Extraordinary Scrubs tourney?

Mine have all been fine, but I've paid with credit card. When I ordered my JP 360 in the spring they called to confirm the order, which is the only out of the ordinary thing (but that order was using Paypal, and my Paypal email was different than my PA email).

Please don't scare me, I will start worrying about my ZoE HD Premium edition. :)

Well, I ordered this game from PA and they didn't make me do anything unusual, but I used a credit card so I dunno if that changes things much.

Onemic

I'm not worried about the supers or any of the special moves. All that takes is a little practice.

My problem is going to be with the combos. I'm the type of person who uses special moves in fighting games like they're going out of style. It's rare for me to actually go through a normal combo using simple punches and kicks and ending with a special move. I have a very hard time inputting the buttons at the correct time to actually link different attacks.

You play Teddie. He has the best Autocombo in the game. I honestly have not played a Teddie high ranked or low, who didn't abuse their autocombo every chance they got.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

I have played P4 in PS2 a while ago, and I will be playing P4G from next week. I do remember the story vaguely.

If you played through P4 before you're fine. If you played through P3 as well, you're even better. Especially if you played through the Answer.

Onemic

Junpei you want to do a round or five? >_>

Im down. Ill be super free, I'm just gonna be practicing hit confirms and strings. Hopefully my urge to win wont get the better of me.

EDIT: ggs Seks. My block strings and hit confirms still need serious work. I should just start practicing them against the computer

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Im down. Ill be super free, I'm just gonna be practicing hit confirms and strings. Hopefully my urge to win wont get the better of me.

EDIT: ggs Seks. My block strings and hit confirms still need serious work. I should just start practicing them against the computer

Mitsuru's poke is too good. Half the time I'd block your poke, go in to R-action (er-"DP") and completely wiff it because the range of your poke is longer than I expect.

I did learn that jumping C seems to be a good poke tool if you can catch the Mitsuru off guard with it. But loop loop loop. :(

Alucrid

Banned
I'm not just trying to be a negative Nancy - I really like the fighting system in this game and despite my issues with network lag I'm still getting tons of enjoyment just out of training mode, even.

But the sound quality is terrible. :( The voices drive me nuts.. on good speakers they're atrocious.

See, this is funny because I replayed Persona 4 before this where the sound quality is so god awful that it made this seem excellent in comparison.

Onemic

Mitsuru's poke is too good. Half the time I'd block your poke, go in to R-action (er-"DP") and completely wiff it because the range of your poke is longer than I expect.

I did learn that jumping C seems to be a good poke tool if you can catch the Mitsuru off guard with it. But loop loop loop. :(

The negative is that it has a longer recovery so when I'm in really close range unless you yourself are in recovery, most likely your 5A will beat mine. The tough thing about mitsuru s knowing what range you're poking and your options you have at those ranges. Something I'm not even close to mastering yet.

Oh and you should block more. In some of those games Id literally just walk up and DP you everytime. One thing I noticed though, unless I did it too late during our match, Mitsus DP to super wont work and will be CH'd if the opponent does a super to you as you come down.

Curufinwe

I haven't played P4G, I don't think you need to finish it before playing P4A.

P4A's story is about 20 hours long if you don't skip stuff, but I'm really enjoying it. Only have Akihiko, Aigis and Elizabeth left to go.

Top Bottom