• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

GorillaJu

I think people think that I'm trolling when really I'm just bad. Three times now I've been fighting some dude in a player match and they just back off and stop attacking and practice blocking on me. Then they kick me when the round is over.

Fugu

The main problem since CS2 is that they tried balancing by bringing everyone down, instead of making everyone go up. Although CT and CS1 are considered to be massively lopsided on the tier scale (as in, not everyone is viable), it was damn fun because of the characters that ARE viable, they were entertaining to watch because of all the BS they can pull off. If they had just brought up the bad characters to the top tiers, it would've been fine, but they've decided to just trim the good stuff. Hence, Extend ended up being horrible.

Imagine no hype moments. Yeah, that's what we ended up getting.
Uuuunless you play Ragna.

Story time!

I played against a Teddie player who wiped the floor with me in player matches.

He wasn't even doing anything complicated, yet I failed to counter him and fell for the exact same tricks every round.

We played around 5 or so matches I think. I didn't win a single round.

I am upset at my inability to do anything right. Upset that I not once decided to hold back and look at the situation before proceeding.

I just did the same things over and over again expecting to win, like a terrible player.

After that, he switched to another character and lost intentionally twice. After that I sent a message than just waited for the match to end before turning off the game.

Basically I am upset because I am a POS.

Ken

Well, Teddie does have amazing/annoying normals and that jumping A is too good. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

Scratch

He wasn't even doing anything complicated, yet I failed to counter him and fell for the exact same tricks every round.

I am upset at my inability to do anything right. Upset that I not once decided to hold back and look at the situation before proceeding.

I just did the same things over and over again expecting to win, like a terrible player.

After that, he switched to another character and lost intentionally twice. After that I sent a message than just waited for the match to end before turning off the game.

it seems like you have a grasp of what went wrong with that. did you save those matches? you should save matches against people you lose to continuously, that way you can watch what they do and what you do to look for inconsistencies in your play

though what i find best is to get a friend (idk if you're psn or xbl) to watch your matches and to actively comment on what's happening. another perspective can be very useful when playing. think of it like a navigator, except they'll say useful stuff
"oh no, you're gonna lose big bro" thanks nanako

just remember at the end of the day it's only a game! it should be played for fun. if you're not having fun take a breather and go do something else :D

alstein

The main problem since CS2 is that they tried balancing by bringing everyone down, instead of making everyone go up. Although CT and CS1 are considered to be massively lopsided on the tier scale (as in, not everyone is viable), it was damn fun because of the characters that ARE viable, they were entertaining to watch because of all the BS they can pull off. If they had just brought up the bad characters to the top tiers, it would've been fine, but they've decided to just trim the good stuff. Hence, Extend ended up being horrible.

Imagine no hype moments. Yeah, that's what we ended up getting.

Hakumen was buffed pretty heavily in EX.

Some chars were overnerfed, and I've heard folks say the game is less balanced overall.

You do need to stop buffing and start nerfing at some point, otherwise you get power inflation if a series goes on long enough, and then things get ridiculous.

Onemic

Well you can always beat up on me and my mitsu if you want to feel better.

Nyoro SF

Does Yukiko naturally counter Teddie? I don't think I've lost to one since the game came out, I never really feel threatened by him since someone told me you can block all his jumping attacks low.

Scratch

j.A
Teddie kicks at the opponent 4 times. j.A has a great hit box that can easily cross up opponents. It also has fast recovery and is very good as a jump in and pressure tool. Not an overhead.
j.B
Teddie kicks the opponent with a soccer cleat and bounces off the opponent. Teddie can choose to bounce backwards (hold back or nothing) or bounce forward (hold forward). j.B bounces the opponent on hit and is Teddie's staple air combo ender for oki into item summon. For combos, you must connect j.A very quickly to continue the combo or the opponent will bounce out of range. This air normal is also great for cross ups, especially when assisted by the barrel item. Not an overhead.

-dustloop wiki

oh ted~

Scratch

another gem from the dustloop wiki, one that i'm sure ragingnight will have something to say about ;)

Dia
When activated, causes a short range physical hit that knocks the opponent far across the screen. It is completely invincible until after active. It is possible to combo after this hit if you have the opponent in the corner. Dia is Super Cancelable (on hit/guard), which can be very useful as well. However, the move is very unsafe on block or wiff, so you must still be careful with it.

In addition, you can Hold B+D when you do the move, and Yukiko will continuously heal herself until you release. She will block all projectiles as long as you hold the buttons, so you can use Dia to beat attempts to thoughtlessly throw projectiles at you as well. This includes things like Teddie's meteors and clown ball super. However, since Dia technically counts as blocking the projectiles, the other player can OMC their projectile and whatever else. Additionally, you can only hold buttons for 15 seconds per round, after that you will no longer be able to do it (but you still can use Dia).

While Dia does cause Blue Life damage to Yukiko like all Furious Actions, it also can easily heal this life back up. If you successfully hit the opponent with it, you may end up with more life than you started with if you hold it briefly.

it seems like you have a grasp of what went wrong with that. did you save those matches? you should save matches against people you lose to continuously, that way you can watch what they do and what you do to look for inconsistencies in your play

though what i find best is to get a friend (idk if you're psn or xbl) to watch your matches and to actively comment on what's happening. another perspective can be very useful when playing. think of it like a navigator, except they'll say useful stuff
"oh no, you're gonna lose big bro" thanks nanako

just remember at the end of the day it's only a game! it should be played for fun. if you're not having fun take a breather and go do something else :D

I do wish I had saved those matches now. I probably would of noticed a lot of mistakes. I'll remember that for next time i get smashed.

After sleeping on it I am fine now. Beating myself up won't help me get better.

Well, Teddie does have amazing/annoying normals and that jumping A is too good. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

Yeah, he didn't even abuse the drill which surprised me.

Well you can always beat up on me and my mitsu if you want to feel better.

You've been playing more than me. I'm sure things will be a lot closer than last time if we play.

Fugu

Come on mang, Ragna still got worse. Just less worse than the rest.
I'm trying to think back to CS2 Ragna and I can't think of his changes. But he can't possibly have done that much damage in CS2.

Hakumen was buffed pretty heavily in EX.

Some chars were overnerfed, and I've heard folks say the game is less balanced overall.

You do need to stop buffing and start nerfing at some point, otherwise you get power inflation if a series goes on long enough, and then things get ridiculous.
I don't think anyone in good conscience has ever argued that CSEX was less balanced than CS2.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
hahaha you guys didn't know teddies jump attacks were not overheads? Why the fuck do you think his normals are so good. I said before he HAS to beat you out with his attacks since he can't normally open you up. His only overhead is his AoA and that's slow as hell

I don't think anyone in good conscience has ever argued that CSEX was less balanced than CS2.
CSEX is more balanced. It just became dull :( and I don't think it's so much ragna got a huge damage boost it's just the damage he gets compared to the rest of the cast now is higher than the average in CSEX

Shito

Funny story, PoorFate, I've just played a Teddie just like you described, not fancy or anything but who wiped the floor with me the first 5 matches we played. After that, I caught on on his habits, learned where I could counter his attacks, and won the 5 next matches. Too bad I had to leave, he really pushed me hard and helped me get better by trying to "up my game" so as to beat him.
Trivia stuff: so, you cannot use Mitsuru's IK on reaction against Teddie's bullshit circus super (he's off the screen when the IK starts), but at least you don't get hit by his ball... 100 meter for just that is a bit expensive, but I'm always so bad at avoiding this, I get hit one time out of two. >_<

Onemic

Sure, will be online in a few minutes.

sorry for the random dc, my router does that sometimes. Anyway ggs

I'm still an fgc newbie so I'll be free in all fighting games for a very very long time. I still have no idea when its safe to attack Labrys when shes doing block strings. It's way too hard to tell. Her, Chie, Yu, and Aigis block strings just make me stare at the screen saying wtf. as Mitsu I still have no idea what my gameplan should be, as when I try to rush down I get my ass beat because of her faster 5A, and if I try and be defensive I just start the whole blockstring 50/50 game. The only times I managed to beat you was when I was doing totally random shit like double jumping all over the place.

Funny story, PoorFate, I've just played a Teddie just like you described, not fancy or anything but who wiped the floor with me the first 5 matches we played. After that, I caught on on his habits, learned where I could counter his attacks, and won the 5 next matches. Too bad I had to leave, he really pushed me hard and helped me get better by trying to "up my game" so as to beat him.
Trivia stuff: so, you cannot use Mitsuru's IK on reaction against Teddie's bullshit circus super (he's off the screen when the IK starts), but at least you don't get hit by his ball... 100 meter for just that is a bit expensive, but I'm always so bad at avoiding this, I get hit one time out of two. >_<

Yeah, Teddie seems like the kind of character that can mess people up easily with just a few basic techniques. It's just for this one I could not get inside of his head. It's unfortunate but it happens.

For the circus super, if your DP has invincibility you can use that to avoid it. That might be difficult though since mitsu's DP isn't a charge DP like Labrys'.

sorry for the random dc, my router does that sometimes. Anyway ggs

I'm still an fgc newbie so I'll be free in all fighting games for a very very long time. I still have no idea when its safe to attack Labrys when shes doing block strings. It's way too hard to tell. Her, Chie, Yu, and Aigis block strings just make me stare at the screen saying wtf. as Mitsu I still have no idea what my gameplan should be, as when I try to rush down I get my ass beat because of her faster 5A, and if I try and be defensive I just start the whole blockstring 50/50 game. The only times I managed to beat you was when I was doing totally random shit like double jumping all over the place.

Well Mitsu's 5A does outrange Labrys'. It's actually pretty slow which is why it usually gets beaten by Yukiko's and Teddie's unless I throw it out way before hand. You did pretty well in blocking my mixup's imo.

It's part guessing game part learning the other player's patterns. You can also DP and roll through certain moves to get out of the block strings.

What I do is hold down/back and only back when I see an overhead coming or if they are in the air.

Some people will circumvent this though like a Yu I just fought. He would get me in a block string and jump, but instead of using an overhead attack he would let himself fall to the ground and jab me low because I was expecting an overhead attack instead.

Also many characters can super cancel out of their DP's like Labrys so you have to watch out for that as well.

Onemic

Yeah, Teddie seems like the kind of character that can mess people up easily with just a few basic techniques. It's just for this one I could not get inside of his head. It's unfortunate but it happens.

For the circus super, if your DP has invincibility you can use that to avoid it. That might be difficult though since mitsu's DP isn't a charge DP like Labrys'.

Well Mitsu's 5A does outrange Labrys'. It's actually pretty slow which is why it usually gets beaten by Yukiko's and Teddie's unless I throw it out way before hand. You did pretty well in blocking my mixup's imo.

It's part guessing game part learning the other player's patterns. You can also DP and roll through certain moves to get out of the block strings.

What I do is hold down/back and only back when I see an overhead coming or if they are in the air.

Some people will circumvent this though like a Yu I just fought. He would get me in a block string and jump, but instead of using an overhead attack he would let himself fall to the ground and jab me low because I was expecting an overhead attack instead.

Also many characters can super cancel out of their DP's like Labrys so you have to watch out for that as well.

i always hop when i want to roll through moves since im holding down back. Its really hard to get used to. as for dp, i always seemed to get baited during your blockstrings and during wakeup even though you would go straight into attacking me more than half the time, especially if your axe was red. I guess i need more lab experience

i always hop when i want to roll through moves since im holding down back. Its really hard to get used to. as for dp, i always seemed to get baited during your blockstrings and during wakeup even though you would go straight into attacking me more than half the time, especially if your axe was red. I guess i need more lab experience

I mean some of my block strings were unsafe. As in you could DP and I would have no way to escape.

Rolling can take some getting used to. Once you learn where you can roll through people's block strings it's really helpful.

Ken

Couldn't you just use j.C or j.D to stay in the air longer to avoid that super. I think Labrys' greatest weakness against Teddie is Teddie's 5A has so much longer range than Labrys'. I found there's no way I could win trying to poke with normals.

Couldn't you just use j.C or j.D to stay in the air longer to avoid that super. I think Labrys' greatest weakness against Teddie is Teddie's 5A has so much longer range than Labrys'. I found there's no way I could win trying to poke with normals.

I guess but I always mess up the super jump. I'm not sure if you can avoid it if he does the long version and you super jump to avoid the short one.

With her DP, you can simply time it to start charging for the short one and the long version will pass right through you if he uses it.

Onemic

I mean some of my block strings were unsafe. As in you could DP and I would have no way to escape.

Rolling can take some getting used to. Once you learn where you can roll through people's block strings it's really helpful.

can you tell me which moves are unsafe when you're doing block strings? I know that chain grab thing is unsafe if you try and follow it up when blocked, but it also seems like you can go for an overhead before reaching me, so If I try and grab, I would be punished.

can you tell me which moves are unsafe when you're doing block strings? I know that chain grab thing is unsafe if you try and follow it up when blocked, but it also seems like you can go for an overhead before reaching me, so If I try and grab, I would be punished.

A DP will beat the overhead follow up to the chain grab easily. Actually, it will beat both the high and low follow ups.

5AAA is unsafe as the third hit is coming out but I stopped doing that after TWILT punished me a lot for it in some past matches.

Guillotine Axe A is safe I believe. I think you can punish the B version but I'm not sure.

I imagine that Mitsu's 2B is air unblockable, you should be able to stuff whatever happens after I jump cancel the 2B.

5A>5B can be punished after the 5B, not sure if that requires an instant block or not.

I'm trying to move away from things that leave me in an unsafe position. Of course sometimes you have to take risks if your mixups aren't working.

I think they might have some more information on what can be punished at dustloop.

Nyoro SF

A DP will beat the overhead follow up to the chain grab easily. Actually, it will beat both the high and low follow ups.

5AAA is unsafe as the third hit is coming out but I stopped doing that after TWILT punished me a lot for it in some past matches.

Guillotine Axe A is safe I believe. I think you can punish the B version but I'm not sure.

I imagine that Mitsu's 2B is air unblockable, you should be able to stuff whatever happens after I jump cancel the 2B.

5A>5B can be punished after the 5B, not sure if that requires an instant block or not.

I'm trying to move away from things that leave me in an unsafe position. Of course sometimes you have to take risks if your mixups aren't working.

I think they might have some more information on what can be punished at dustloop.

I have lost to every Labrys I've faced online, so this is some useful info....

I'll be able to play later today (maybe in an hour or so), so if anyone wants to play, add me on PSN! My name on PSN is the same as my GAF name.

Also, should we start calling them SEN?

Bilix

Getting a little burned out with this game. I have a 20% win ratio with Yosuke over ~125 matches. Past couple days I've been having some serious losing streaks and at this point I feel like I'm not learning anything at all from the matches. I could just pick another character and auto-combo my way up the ranks but that would just be boring.

I don't know. Unless some serious enlightenment happens, I'm going to have a frustrating future with this game.

Busaiku

Man, I've said it a number of times in here, but people just ignore me!
You can just hold down back on Teddie and be safe for the most part.

I could just pick another character and auto-combo my way up the ranks but that would just be boring.

I don't know. Unless some serious enlightenment happens, I'm going to have a frustrating future with this game.

If you're playing ranked matches;That right there is your problem.
Play more player matches,less on the line,less gimmicks and more good players.

If you're playing ranked matches;That right there is your problem.
Play more player matches,less on the line,less gimmicks and more good players.

When you move up the ranks and get a decent PSR decent players do start to appear too though. Having something on the line is not necessarily a bad thing, although it does create more ragequitters (oddly I have yet to find one here).

Top Bottom