• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sales numbers have almost no bearing on if a game makes EVO or not. If the numbers in locals/majors keeps up P4U has a very good chance.

It should have a strong presence in Japan as well, wasn't it the best selling fighting game ever there?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I hope so. I love watching streams and spotting new combos to imitate.

On a side note: does anyone know how much % each story has in story mode? e.g.: Yu's is 15%, Chie's is %11, etc.

Busaiku

How in the world am I supposed to fight that.
Teddievision is useless, my All Out Attack is useless, you never have to stand up, the bat is useless, I can't grab you.

Onemic

How in the world am I supposed to fight that.
Teddievision is useless, my All Out Attack is useless, you never have to stand up, the bat is useless, I can't grab you.

There are ways of getting around my corner poking bs I was doing....

Just use the bat. It's definitely not useless and his most important tool when facing Mitsu. It's the one tool that makes my pokes totally worthless, so spam it all day. If you used it you probably would have beaten me more than I beat you as it sorta fucks up Mitsus game plan. The Teddie matchup is totally in your favour and not mine if you use the bat.

I'm down for a FT5 with you again.

Busaiku

Wait, nevermind, yeah, maybe I do need to use the bat more, but it seems like she can punish it wherever she is.

Also, my biggest problem with Yu is definitely the analog stick.
I think I'm blocking low, but no, I'm 1/2 a millimeter off!

Onemic

Wait, nevermind, yeah, maybe I do need to use the bat more, but it seems like she can punish it wherever she is.

Also, my biggest problem with Yu is definitely the analog stick.
I think I'm blocking low, but no, I'm 1/2 a millimeter off!

Nope you got it in reverse. I can't punish you for using the bat because that things range is huge as fuck. It's longer than Mitsus 5A. If you start using it I have to play you differently.

Onemic

Plus he can dash cancel or jump cancel on block

want to go for some games Q? Im ready to get bodied.

ggs Busaiku. Just learn when to use the bat and when not to since it has slow startup. A lot of the time you tried using it when I was in your face, and my 5A will beat it every time.

Busaiku

I'm not understanding the spacing on it at all.
I hit you with the very tip, yet I only get trades.
Any further out, it whiffs and I get punished by an air sword thing.

Busaiku

I mean, looking at Mitsuru's st.A hitbox, it encompasses all of the sword and her body as well, which makes it equivalent to the bat.

Busaiku

There's nothing Teddie can get from that far out anyways, so it wouldn't really amount to much.
The bat definitely isn't the answer to winning, I mean it'd help, but I just don't understand the matchup at all.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There's nothing Teddie can get from that far out anyways, so it wouldn't really amount to much.
The bat definitely isn't the answer to winning, I mean it'd help, but I just don't understand the matchup at all.

Stop complaining and watch match videos >.<

Busaiku

There are no good match videos!
I mean so many of these Mitsurus just sit at full screen and let Teddie go through his items!
And then they're not blocking low all the time, and try and go for high bocks, I mean c'mon, that's simple stuff.

Man, at least when I'm losing to Aigis, I know what I can do.
And sometimes I can even do it!

But with Mitsuru, I've just got no clue if you're playing right.
Thought I did until those 30 or so straight losses!

Onemic

ggs Q, look like Im not as fraudulant against you anymore.

I still need to learn the different mixups with slab though. That punch is probably the biggest one. I know I can double jump over it when you do it on wakeup, but I'm unsure of the other ones. slabs fast dp maskes it really hard for me to do my throw mixup game with you. Now I understand why Lord Knight was complaining about it so much.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ggs Q, look like Im not as fraudulant against you anymore.

You better not be, that match up is ass. Your normals demolish mine. Your fucking 5a beats her J.B.

And you still lose pretty bad when I feel like trying ;) aka actually going for stuff and not just mashing for the hell of it to see what you would do :lol
Now I understand why Lord Knight was complaining about it so much.
It's the worst hitting DP in the game. It's a ghetto ass version of labs, actually all of s.labs normals are pretty shit compared to labrys'

I have to say though, mitsuru is probably the worst designed arc sys character period, which makes her worse than Slash Ky and CS1 Tao to me. Aigis/Naoto are still better than her though at max level play because they just pretty much rip you apart for free. Mitsu is all about punishing the other person trying to press stuff which of course takes no effort from the mitsu players side they just go about their stuff. Oki based characters are the same in the effort area *Yu/S.lab* problem with s.lab is her normals suck and she has no block strings to set anything up unlke Yu.

Busaiku

B1LbP.png

Does the horizontal punch and laser thing work the same way as Yu's (as in only block the character, not the Persona)?

Onemic

You better not be, that match up is ass. Your normals demolish mine. Your fucking 5a beats her J.B.

And you still lose pretty bad when I feel like trying ;) aka actually going for stuff and not just mashing for the hell of it to see what you would do :lol

Ya I think a lot of the time it was due to me refusing to DP you in many ocassions where I should have. Namely the countless times you IAD me on wakeup to setup your persona mixup. I've gotten Mitsus DP baited so many times, I try not using it even in situations where I should. Also my J.A is pretty shitty against your J.B, most of the time it lost I threw it out it lost unless the spacing was good. It was my j.B I believe that was able to beat your j.B most of the time.

It's the worst hitting DP in the game. It's a ghetto ass version of labs, actually all of s.labs normals are pretty shit compared to labrys'

I don't agree with this at least in terms of the mitsu matchup as I can still do my sweep fake mixup decently against normal Labrys since it's not as fast. slabs DP is fast and it has a fuckton of range, making the mixups more of a risk compared to the rest of the cast where I can pretty much do it freely and only get DP'd if they anticipate that I'll do something after the sweep fake. You can get away with DPing me before the sweep fake recovers unless I get the 5B off at its smallest charge. For Lab even though her DP has a ton of range, if the DP activates as I'm doing the sweep fake in most cases I will recover in time to block it allowing me to get a free punish.

I have to say though, mitsuru is probably the worst designed arc sys character period, which makes her worse than Slash Ky and CS1 Tao to me. Aigis/Naoto are still better than her though at max level play because they just pretty much rip you apart for free. Mitsu is all about punishing the other person trying to press stuff which of course takes no effort from the mitsu players side they just go about their stuff. Oki based characters are the same in the effort area *Yu/S.lab* problem with s.lab is her normals suck and she has no block strings to set anything up unlke Yu.

I don't think she's poorly designed more than people just getting real salty when they play her and not know how she works. Teddie is worse to me as you press a button and you eat a combo no matter the range of his normal. Mitsu is more about her pokes, which makes her slightly less annoying since it's smaller damage.

Fugu

I don't think she's poorly designed more than people just getting real salty when they play her and not know how she works. Teddie is worse to me as you press a button and you eat a combo no matter the range of his normal. Mitsu is more about her pokes, which makes her slightly less annoying since it's smaller damage.
I have to disagree.

She doesn't pick up a lot of damage off of every hit, but she makes so many hits that it's irrelevant. As Q said, she's probably not the strongest character in the game (Aigis seems the most likely candidate), but she is very strong: Her normals are fast and positively huge, allowing her to outpoke zoning characters with large and slow normals; she is probably the least affected by losing her persona; her blockstrings are effective and she can go a long time without having to resort to unsafe pressure; she's got an amazing DP; she's in the faster half of the cast; and really, her neutral game is head and shoulders above every other character in the game so it's irrelevant that her oki is not stupendous.

What makes her frustrating to play against is that, on top of that, she's just downright easy to play as, and it's by design: It's really not that hard to play as a character with fast and gigantic normals where the hitconfirm generally consists of continuing to press the button you're already pressing. I am a better Mitsuru player than I am a Yukiko player and I don't spend any time playing as Mitsuru.

PSN: Yoko337

Anyone got a lobby or something up? I wanna get in like... 10 games then I'll make some breakfast

EDIT screw it gonna go make some bacon, can't grab people on am empty stomach

Onemic

I have to disagree.

She doesn't pick up a lot of damage off of every hit, but she makes so many hits that it's irrelevant. As Q said, she's probably not the strongest character in the game (Aigis seems the most likely candidate), but she is very strong: Her normals are fast and positively huge, allowing her to outpoke zoning characters with large and slow normals; she is probably the least affected by losing her persona; her blockstrings are effective and she can go a long time without having to resort to unsafe pressure; she's got an amazing DP; she's in the faster half of the cast; and really, her neutral game is head and shoulders above every other character in the game so it's irrelevant that her oki is not stupendous.

What makes her frustrating to play against is that, on top of that, she's just downright easy to play as, and it's by design: It's really not that hard to play as a character with fast and gigantic normals where the hitconfirm generally consists of continuing to press the button you're already pressing. I am a better Mitsuru player than I am a Yukiko player and I don't spend any time playing as Mitsuru.

I agree that she is easy to pick up, but she is not easy to master. A lot of her effectiveness comes from being able to react quickly when you notice a character is crouching or being able to react to counters and punish, as that's where her big damage comes from. I'm at the point where I can react quickly enough to go into a crouching combo, but I still can't get her big damage combos from converting her counters and fatals into combos. There's a reason she's not seen that much in ranked compared to someone like Yu or Chie. Regardless I still don't see how it makes her a poorly designed character, as there are characters that are even easier to play and are hella strong.(Yu being the obvious example)

And her normals aren't fast, that is her main weakness. The startup to her 5A is slower than most of the cast. She makes it not matter by spacing it so that the opponents normals can't reach her. In close range 5A wil pretty much lose to anyones 5A. It's why Mitsu mirrors are so annoying unless you sweep her 5A as she can abuse you with it forever and your 5A will never be able to startup in time, pretty much regardless of range. It's also why a good Chie player should be able to demolish a Mitsuru user most of the time. Same goes with Aegis in orgia mode.

And Aki is the least affected by losing his persona. Mitsus corner combos, counter combos and non crouching midscreen combos are all reliant on her Persona. without it I can't do much of anything in terms of combos. Akihiko can still go about his business without using his persona the entire match.

EDIT:

Based on frame data her 5A is only better than Yukiko and Elizabeth and is only tied for speed with Teddie, herself, lab and slab. For Teddie it doesn't even matter much if you know how to use his bat. Everyone else beats it. Even though Yukiko's 5A has a 10 frame startup,(wow) in my experience Yukiko users have less problems dealing with Mitsu's 5A than Liz, just because they can zone her out much more effectively.

PSN: Yoko337

Anyone got a lobby or something up? I wanna get in like... 10 games then I'll make some breakfast

EDIT screw it gonna go make some bacon, can't grab people on am empty stomach

It's time mofo, it's time!!!

Noi

And Aki is the least affected by losing his persona. Mitsus corner combos, counter combos and non crouching midscreen combos are all reliant on her Persona. without it I can't do much of anything in terms of combos. Akihiko can still go about his business without using his persona the entire match.

Akihiko has a persona?

Fugu

I agree that she is easy to pick up, but she is not easy to master. A lot of her effectiveness comes from being able to react quickly when you notice a character is crouching or being able to react to counters and punish, as that's where her big damage comes from. I'm at the point where I can react quickly enough to go into a crouching combo, but I still can't get her big damage combos from converting her counters and fatals into combos. There's a reason she's not seen that much in ranked compared to someone like Yu or Chie. Regardless I still don't see how it makes her a poorly designed character, as there are characters that are even easier to play and are hella strong.(Yu being the obvious example)

And her normals aren't fast, that is her main weakness. The startup to her 5A is slower than most of the cast. She makes it not matter by spacing it so that the opponents normals can't reach her. In close range 5A wil pretty much lose to anyones 5A. It's why Mitsu mirrors are so annoying unless you sweep her 5A as she can abuse you with it forever and your 5A will never be able to startup in time, pretty much regardless of range. It's also why a good Chie player should be able to demolish a Mitsuru user most of the time. Same goes with Aegis in orgia mode.

EDIT:

Based on frame data her 5A is only better than Yukiko and Elizabeth and is only tied for speed with Teddie, herself, lab and slab. Everyone else beats it. Even though Yukiko's 5A has a 10 frame startup,(wow) in my experience Yukiko users have less problems dealing with Mitsu's 5A than Liz, just because they can zone her out much more effectively.

It's time mofo, it's time!!!
You don't have to react quickly though, seeing as your shit hits like a quarter of the screen (droit's range is hilarious for how fast it comes out); that's precisely what makes her easy to play. I find the execution involved with playing Mitsuru to be fairly easy, but that's mostly just P4A in general. Also, I don't know the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if Chie were less played than Mitsuru. In fact, other than Yu and Teddie (Yu being the most played and Teddie the least) I don't think there's any character which is significantly under- or over-played. I don't agree that Yu is easier to play than Mitsuru; he still has to score a knockdown.

Her normals are definitely fast. The speed of her normals aren't simply defined by their startup; what makes them fast is how huge they are and therefore what move they're likely to be competing with. The size of her 5A means that her 5A is competing with a lot of character's B moves for space control. You discussed her 5A; her 5A hitbox is also very long, and it still has an average startup for a 5A. Most 5As are a jab with a tiny range, not a poke. Also, citation needed on Chie vs. Mitsuru being in Chie's favor.

When Akihiko loses his persona, he loses one of his few space controlling options (his fullscreen super). Yeah, this is probably as inconsequential as Mitsuru losing her persona (which only costs her damage) but when most characters lose their persona, they stop being able to do things key to their game plan.
Akihiko has a persona?
I know I didn't believe it either. He's right though, I checked.

Onemic

You don't have to react quickly though, seeing as your shit hits like a quarter of the screen (droit's range is hilarious for how fast it comes out); that's precisely what makes her easy to play. I find the execution involved with playing Mitsuru to be fairly easy, but that's mostly just P4A in general. Also, I don't know the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if Chie were less played than Mitsuru. In fact, other than Yu and Teddie (Yu being the most played and Teddie the least) I don't think there's any character which is significantly under- or over-played. I don't agree that Yu is easier to play than Mitsuru; he still has to score a knockdown.

Her normals are definitely fast. The speed of her normals aren't simply defined by their startup; what makes them fast is how huge they are and therefore what move they're likely to be competing with. The size of her 5A means that her 5A is competing with a lot of character's B moves for space control. You discussed her 5A; her 5A hitbox is also very long, and it still has an average startup for a 5A. Most 5As are a jab with a tiny range, not a poke. Also, citation needed on Chie vs. Mitsuru being in Chie's favor.

When Akihiko loses his persona, he loses one of his few space controlling options (his fullscreen super). Yeah, this is probably as inconsequential as Mitsuru losing her persona (which only costs her damage) but when most characters lose their persona, they stop being able to do things key to their game plan.

I know I didn't believe it either. He's right though, I checked.

That's why I was saying that for the most part Mitsu makes her 5A speed not matter if she spaces it correctly. however if she's in close range a number of characters can outright beat her poke. It's a godly 5A, but there are ways around it. The reason why Chie destroys Mitsuru is her amazing ability to get in, couple that with her ability to low profile 5A making it non-abusable and her fast 5A, and you're as good as dead against a good Chie player that understands the matchup and can get in on you. Once they get in you literally can't do shit because her jab will beat anything you have all the time. Couple that with her in awakening and she gets in for free as long as she has the meter. I believe T-Loc said Chie and Teddie are some of her worst matchups and I agree with that as long as the player knows the matchup and what beats 5A and can properly read Mitsu, Chie slightly more so. Aegis is straight up a free loss.

ehh, I'd say it's about average in terms of reactions, since you can't really convert anything off a counter from max range. You have to get in there somewhat and do a confirm. There are ways around it though, which I'm currently working on improving like fatal counters off of throw tech baits, or fatals off of blocked supers/dp's.

In terms of players I guess it's purely anecdotal, but in my experience with ranked I've seen about as many Mitsuru's as I do Naoto's. When I play a mirror match I'm usually surprised because I really don't see that many online, maybe it's because she's a charge character, but she's definitely on the low end of the played spectrum along with Teddie, Yukiko, slab and lab.

And Aki's fullscreen super isn't available all the time(only in awakening, plus you need meter) and thus is not as heavily relied upon, when compared to Mitsu who loses most of her combos that she uses all the time.

GG Onemic, I gotta admit I have NO IDEA HOW TO FIGHT MITSURU AHHH

My poor Kanji ;_;

Im sorry, Ima let you finish, but Mitsuru has one of the best pokes of all time

ggs man, if you continue using Labrys you can probably body me. I still have problems with the lab/slab matchup.

I want to play you, but Im scared. :(

I've taken a few days off. I should be pretty bad. Plus I want to try out new things, so I'll probably be a sitting duck.

Also, I'm S+ tier. You're only S tier.

in my opinion, of course

Prototype teach me the ways of the Aigis I wanna use dat robot

We can get some matches in. But truth to be told, I don't think I'm using Aigis to the full potential. I'm not using her left/right mixups yet nor do I hit confirm off of j.A.

Fugu

That's why I was saying that for the most part Mitsu makes her 5A speed not matter if she spaces it correctly. however if she's in close range a number of characters can outright beat her poke.
You're looking at this completely backwards; you say the speed doesn't matter, but of course it does, it just matters in a way that is advantageous for Mitsuru. The speed prevents most characters from competing with it anywhere but minimum range.

The reason why Chie destroys Mitsuru is her amazing ability to get in, couple that with her ability to low profile 5A making it non-abusable and her fast 5A, and you're as good as dead against a good Chie player that understands the matchup and can get in on you. Once they get in you literally can't do shit because her jab will beat anything you have all the time. Couple that with her in awakening and she gets in for free as long as she has the meter. I believe T-Loc said Chie and Teddie are some of her worst matchups and I agree with that as long as the player knows the matchup and what beats 5A and can properly read Mitsu, Chie slightly more so. Aegis is straight up a free loss.
Outside of Aigis I wouldn't be surprised if Mitsuru's worst matchup is 5-5.

ehh, I'd say it's about average in terms of reactions, since you can't really convert anything off a counter from max range. You have to get in there somewhat and do a confirm. There are ways around it though, which I'm currently working on improving like fatal counters off of throw tech baits, or fatals off of blocked supers/dp's.
What? A FC off of a blocked super is like the easiest thing to confirm in the world.

And Aki's fullscreen super isn't available all the time(only in awakening, plus you need meter) and thus is not as heavily relied upon, when compared to Mitsu who loses most of her combos that she uses all the time.
Mitsuru gets comparable corner damage without her persona to Yukiko with her persona.

I'm not continuing this discussion. Aigis is a straight up free loss for the second best character in the game? That's just out of control stupid.

Onemic

You're looking at this completely backwards; you say the speed doesn't matter, but of course it does, it just matters in a way that is advantageous for Mitsuru. The speed prevents most characters from competing with it anywhere but minimum range.

I am so confused. You were the one to say it doesn't matter, when I said it was her weakness. I was agreeing with you when you said that it makes it advantageous toward mitsuru due to her long range poke. I think we're arguing semantics here because I'm not disagreeing with you.

What? A FC off of a blocked super is like the easiest thing to confirm in the world.

I suck. So yes it's a work in progress for me because I try to do charged 5B's to punish, which is new to me.
Mitsuru gets comparable corner damage without her persona to Yukiko with her persona.

This is just straight up wrong. Mitsu without her persona in the corner can get away with around 3k+ best case scenario. Yukiko with her Persona on the other hand can go anywhere from 3k-5k or even 12-13k best case scenario(with lvl8). Im confused as to why you're comparing a character that's focused more on zoning to a more more pressure heavier character.

I'm not continuing this discussion. Aigis is a straight up free loss for the second best character in the game? That's just out of control stupid.

Clearly my statement was hyperbolic because I'm so QQ against her ;_; A whole lot of mitsu players do feel free against Aigis, and I do as well, however since the game is new I'm sure some Aigis players feel the exact same way.

Anyway, you're taking this too personally man.

I am so confused. You were the one to say it doesn't matter, when I said it was her weakness. I was agreeing with you when you said that it makes it advantageous toward mitsuru due to her long range poke. I think we're arguing semantics here because I'm not disagreeing with you.

I suck. So yes it's a work in progress for me because I try to do charged 5B's to punish, which is new to me.

This is just straight up wrong. Mitsu without her persona in the corner can get away with around 3k+ best case scenario. Yukiko with her Persona on the other hand can go anywhere from 3k-5k or even 12-13k best case scenario(with lvl8). Im confused as to why you're comparing a character that's focused more on zoning to a more more pressure heavier character.

Clearly my statement was hyperbolic because I'm so QQ against her ;_; A whole lot of mitsu players do feel free against Aigis, and I do as well, however since the game is new I'm sure some Aigis players feel the exact same way.

134581998741.jpg

Fugu

I'm taking this personally?

Also, Yukiko's corner BnB does just over 3k unless your opponent jumps or you use meter. The meter part doesn't take you much past that. Confirms into the corner do far more damage if they're off of a D move or FC, but I'm not talking about that. Level 8 combos aren't even worth mentioning because most people don't even get to 4.

Onemic

I'm taking this personally?

Also, Yukiko's corner BnB does just over 3k unless your opponent jumps or you use meter. The meter part doesn't take you much past that. Confirms into the corner do far more damage if they're off of a D move or FC, but I'm not talking about that. Level 8 combos aren't even worth mentioning because most people don't even get to 4.

Like I said I'm talking best case scenario which applied to Mitsuru as well assuming she gets a fully charged 5B fatal counter in the corner. if we're talking about BnB's then in the corner all Mitsu can do without her persona is 2.6k if you start with a sweep or if they're crouching. if they're standing you can't do anything above 1.6k unless you sweep or use her autocombo for 2.1k.

Sorry about the last part it just seemed like you were attacking me from the last thing about aigis. I thought it was well known I can be quite hyperbolic when it comes to matchups I don't like :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The main problem with Mitsuru and the reason why I say she's so poorly designed besides being as safe as she is for her speed damage and range.

The hit box on her 5a and droits are too fucking high up, but they already designed her that way with the sprites so they can't change it at this point ever unless.

The character hitboxes are huge as fuck in this game, so her having hitboxes as big as she does on moves as fast as she has makes her shit stupidly good dispite it being little simple things.

Aigis has to get in and do crazy shit to kill you, Mitsu just throws out what ever because the only character who's normals can compete with her's is teddies bat. Which leaves the entire cast having to OUTPLAY the mitsuru player in every possible way to win. If you watch mitsuru matches they almost all exactly play each match up in the game the same. There is a reason there are like 4 mitsuru players to every 1 aigis.

SerRodrik

I am just now discovering that Naoto is a lot of fun to play. Plus, since no one at the low level seems to know what to do about her, I just got bumped up a rank to C+. I might have just found a sub.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I am just now discovering that Naoto is a lot of fun to play. Plus, since no one at the low level seems to know what to do about her, I just got bumped up a rank to C+. I might have just found a sub.

She's awesome, her mobility makes her fun as hell to play. Just takes a lot of practice to know what to do and when with her.

Top Bottom