• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Nyoro SF

You know, the hitbox also includes her arm and chest.
It's ridiculous.

I'm too busy getting stabbed in the face to notice, although...

It's nice to know that low profile moves can duck it. Not many can reach that far though.

The most annoying part about Mitsuru for me isn't stand A though, it's jump B. If the opponent times it properly it's very very difficult to anti-air it. If you get counter-hit it does a hard knockdown. Because of its high blockstun it's safe no matter how high she does it. It also has an incredible air to air hitbox. So stupid.

How the hell did I get to B rank again...this is very fraudulent.

Finally starting to use some of those post-kill rush mix-ups with Akihiko, I've been practicing those in training mode for days but every time I get to a real game I always go "dur hur let's do duck into grab again". Now to add some frame traps into the mix, I've seen people do 5B right after a blocked hook, the distance seems to be just right so that if the opponent mashes 5A they will whiff and the second hit of my 5B will FC them. However I do feel that Aki might be at minus frame after a blocked hook. I also enjoy how Aki can deal 3.5k off an anti-air 2B, my favorite combo.

Next item on the agenda, baiting DPs, and post-meteor mix-ups.

Oh yeah, weaving through Mitsuru's 5A and droits is hilarious, guessing wrong and getting FC by 5B instead? Not so much.

Played 2 Elizabeth who actually knew what they were doing for the first time. Got completely bodied. Have to say, her jump B caught me completely by surprise and Thanato can probably body me by himself.

Yukiko is such a scary character, I played one who had me blocking from fullscreen for literally 10 seconds because I was so scared to press a button, but a good guess will lead into knockdown and pain so it's fair.

You know, the hitbox also includes her arm and chest.
It's ridiculous.

hmmmm

okwiththis.png

hypernima

Banned
Can any Akihiko players explain the cyclone gauge for me? I don't understand it much since its pretty much at 0 most matches I have. I can never keep it at a level

Solune

What makes her frustrating to play against is that, on top of that, she's just downright easy to play as, and it's by design: It's really not that hard to play as a character with fast and gigantic normals where the hitconfirm generally consists of continuing to press the button you're already pressing. I am a better Mitsuru player than I am a Yukiko player and I don't spend any time playing as Mitsuru.

lol this is just so wrong. It's not wrong to say that Mitsuru has one of the best autocombos in the game which is why people think that she's herp derp to play. Most of her hitconfirms require a crouching hit or counterhit.

P4A itself unfortunately is designed to autocombo to win, that's one of the negatives that come from designing a game with beginners in mind because certain characters get to mash 5A to win without actually learning their character.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Can any Akihiko players explain the cyclone gauge for me? I don't understand it much since its pretty much at 0 most matches I have. I can never keep it at a level

The Cyclone meter isn't meant to last more than a 1-2 seconds. It builds every time you cancel one special move into another (weave > hook, etc). The meter changes the properties of those special moves - adding invincibility, crumble, wall bounce, etc.

The Cyclone meter isn't meant to last more than a 1-2 seconds. It builds every time you cancel one special move into another (weave > hook, etc). The meter changes the properties of those special moves - adding invincibility, crumble, wall bounce, etc.

It's like red axe levels for Labrys but it ends a second or two after you stop doing moves.

The most visible example of the cyclone gauge's effect per level is with Akihiko's uppercut super with level 3 cyclone sending him flying off the screen.

Onemic

lol this is just so wrong. It's not wrong to say that Mitsuru has one of the best autocombos in the game which is why people think that she's herp derp to play. Most of her hitconfirms require a crouching hit or counterhit.

P4A itself unfortunately is designed to autocombo to win, that's one of the negatives that come from designing a game with beginners in mind because certain characters get to mash 5A to win without actually learning their character.

Honestly, even though it's one of the best, it still sucks as a combo. Total waste of meter. I never use it unless I'm frustrated and randomly mash it.

ggs beats. You never fell for the main thing I was trying to practice in the set, for you to tech my damn throws. ;_;

Geneijin

Honestly, even though it's one of the best, it still sucks as a combo. Total waste of meter. I never use it unless I'm frustrated and randomly mash it.
You don't always need to super cancel with Mitsuru's auto-combo. It gives her great position after she finishes with droite and even pushes people into corners where she's the most dangerous.

Beats

ggs beats. You never fell for the main thing I was trying to practice in the set, for you to tech my damn throws. ;_;

GGs. I totally hate Mitsuru heh. :p

Anyone else wanna play on PSN?

shtkn

from the dl wiki
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Akihiko_Sanada_(P4Arena)
Cyclone Level

Akihiko can cancel certain Skill Attacks into each other. Each cancel increases the gauge by 1 (max level 3). Certain attacks deal more damage and gain special properties depending on the level.
For example, Level 0 Corkscrew only knocks the opponent away, while Level 3 Corkscrew wallbounces the opponent. Level 0 Double Upper allows the opponent to ukemi in the air, while Level 3 raises the opponent higher and increases the hitstun significantly, allowing you to combo afterwards.
The Cyclone Level reverts back to 0 very quickly after you stop canceling attacks into each other. This means that the Cyclone Level only really works on a per-combo/blockstring basis.

Aigis has to get in and do crazy shit to kill you, Mitsu just throws out what ever because the only character who's normals can compete with her's is teddies bat. Which leaves the entire cast having to OUTPLAY the mitsuru player in every possible way to win. If you watch mitsuru matches they almost all exactly play each match up in the game the same. There is a reason there are like 4 mitsuru players to every 1 aigis.

Kind sir, I recommend you cease post-haste your mendacious accusations. It takes a certain type of refined gentleman to satisfy a sophisticated woman's fancy. Many a street urchin is drunk on her affectations, but a fine spirit demands subtlety.

Onemic

You don't always need to super cancel with Mitsuru's auto-combo. It gives her great position after she finishes with droite and even pushes people into corners where she's the most dangerous.

ya it still sucks though unless you want to get that last hit in to win the match. her 5aab>5C>A droit is much better as it does more damage and on block it turns into a mixup if you randomly go into it.

GGs. I totally hate Mitsuru heh. :p

Anyone else wanna play on PSN?

If you remember in the first 5 or so matches, there was a corner combo I was doing on you that I wasn't doing properly, but seemed like it turned into reset because you teched. Do you remember it at all, and if so were you able to move after you teched?

Solune

It's one of the things you can do. It is by itself not a all-in winning strategy. Just a tool.

Autocombo itself leads into other hitconfirms, this is supposed to be intuitive for players where beginners mash to win and intermediate players do advanced combos. The problem with developing this system is

1) leads to situations where autocombo is the best punish either for positioning or some other reason where the player didn't have to work for it

2) characters like Mitsuru have an autocombo that is stupidly safe while outclassing other characters which is a constant but valid complaint I read about. It's a direct result of implementing autocombo. And then you have characters like Elizabeth who have an ASS autocombo. There isn't a reason for them to do it because it's terrible so Elizabeth players already have to put in twice the work of a Mitsuru player, and I won't even go into matchups.

So a tool that was designed to level the playing field between equal players already makes the disparity larger than it should be.

3) players don't develop skills while relying on a string to carry them.

Geneijin

ya it still sucks though unless you want to get that last hit in to win the match. her 5aab>5C>A droit is much better as it does more damage and on block it turns into a mixup if you randomly go into it.
Strongly disagree. Besides it being one of the top damaging auto-combos, the positional advantage off her auto-combo is immense. It does not suck.

Onemic

Strongly disagree. Besides it being one of the top damaging auto-combos, the positional advantage off her auto-combo is immense. It does not suck.

when I say suck I'm not talking about in relation to other characters. It's one of the best. But when trying to do more advanced stuff it isn't that good. you need to be closer to the opponent to use it than that combo I showed, it has no real mixup potential on block, and it does less damage to boot. Theres a time and place for it yes, but for the most part you don't want to be reliant on it at all. I got better and started winning more matches when I stopped using that combo.

Beats

If you remember in the first 5 or so matches, there was a corner combo I was doing on you that I wasn't doing properly, but seemed like it turned into reset because you teched. Do you remember it at all, and if so were you able to move after you teched?

I should have saved a few of those matches. I don't remember unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to do much at all when you got me into a corner heh.

Geneijin

when I say suck I'm not talking about in relation to other characters. It's one of the best. But when trying to do more advanced stuff it isn't that good. you need to be closer to the opponent to use it than that combo I showed, it has no real mixup potential on block, and it does less damage to boot. Theres a time and place for it yes, but for the most part you don't want to be reliant on it at all.
Mitsuru's auto-combo along with her more advance stuff is the problem. I'm talking about the auto-combo itself and its utility, not whether or not you can only mash 5A to win.

Quadratic

So how good are you guys now? Haven't played in over a week because of PAX. Not really sure if I should ask to play you guys now. I think I'm still F- level with my Chie.

Beats

I think one minor thing I would like in matches with spectators is to be able to replace Rise's messages with custom messages that the spectators can input a couple of times during a match.

Top Bottom