• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Deps

Ranked always gets less populated as a game gets older. I haven't played ranked for weeks, player match is much better for me, can just run sets for hours.

Shito

Yeah, I usually play ranked in fighting games the first two weeks, and then switch to player matches only.

And now, for a stupid question: can't you OMC Elizabeth' 5C on guard? Training mode seems to tell me no no you can't, but I could swear I saw some people do this on streams.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yeah, I usually play ranked in fighting games the first two weeks, and then switch to player matches only.

And now, for a stupid question: can't you OMC Elizabeth' 5C on guard? Training mode seems to tell me no no you can't, but I could swear I saw some people do this on streams.

How come? What's the difference between ranked and player match?

TWILT

Banned
For people who want to enter the tourney, don't forget to sign up on the Challonge link. Of course if you have trouble signing up for whatever reason, just let me know and I'll add you myself.

Also, I found a way record matches and put it on Youtube, but with the way it's set up, I won't be able to stream it. Thankfully, I can save replays...

Onemic

For people who want to enter the tourney, don't forget to sign up on the Challonge link. Of course if you have trouble signing up for whatever reason, just let me know and I'll add you myself.

Also, I found a way record matches and put it on Youtube, but with the way it's set up, I won't be able to stream it. Thankfully, I can save replays...

how?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't think I quite understand. What doesn't do damage? Kill Rush A directly into Cyclone Upper A twice? Raw Cyclone Upper?

Both. Cyclone Upper just doesn't seem to do some decent damage for what is supposed to be a super.

forgot this was in the Community section now. I'll enter the tournament for now.

And Yukiko with the best 5A? Its good but not that good. Chie's 5A is +1 on block, dash cancel-able, and I think jump cancelable. The only thing good about Yukiko's 5A is the range, the ability to be jump cancel-able and the active frames.

Judging by the entrant as of now, it looks like anybody has a decent shot at winning if they get paired against the right people.

Both. Cyclone Upper just doesn't seem to do some decent damage for what is supposed to be a super.

It all depends on your combo/cyclone; a level 3 Cyclone Upper can tack on 1.2k+ damage to a combo and a combo ending with two consecutive Cyclone Uppers (the first has to be below level 3) can add ~2.8k, even after longer combos. Here's a combo video where you can find examples of both.

Basically, as this video explains around 1:43 (the whole video actually has some decent tips throughout if you want to watch it), without Kill Rush -> Corkscrew or Level 2+ cyclone, Cyclone Upper just doesn't pay off. That would explain your current predicament. It's not meant to be pulled out raw or used after a Kill Rush with no followups -- it's best used in the corner after a corkscrew sends the opponent sliding, which isn't too bad since lots of Akihiko's combos carry the opponent quite a sizable distance. Unless you need to use it for the kill, play smart with your Kill Rush followups and deal a combo which sends them reeling on their back into the corner. Already be inputting the upper when that last corkscrew comes out, or it might not connect. Even a simple FC 5B -> 2B -> Kill Rush A -> 4A -> 6B -> Cyclone Upper can do... 3.7k I think, if not over 4k. Even starting that chain with 5AA will probably still do ~3.5k, meaning that Cyclone Upper should still be doing roughly 1k damage.

RoeBear

How do you do against twil? I haven't played this game since the last time I played twil so I'm really rusty (again).

Haven't fought him since the first tourny. I fight Onemic every once in a while do fairly well against him. I fight Apollojoh a lot and we go about 65/35 usually in his favor, he uses Mitsuru.

Busaiku

You should do your shots at full screen more, against me at least.
I suck at making it through that field.

Mainly cause I suck at double tapping with the analog, so it's running/air dashing is never reliable for me.

Onemic

Haven't fought him since the first tourny. I fight Onemic every once in a while do fairly well against him. I fight Apollojoh a lot and we go about 65/35 usually in his favor, he uses Mitsuru.

I need to see these matches. Then again if you're not using naoto I think that automatically makes me slightly less free to you. :p

As long as I avoid you, twilt, noi, poorfate, and q I might have a chance at this tourney!

This Mitsuru I'm fighting rn may suck at not having her DPs baited (...and I at not getting hit by them) but my god it feels so good to just go under her Droit with a sweep and knock her down.

Beats

I'll never figure out how to fight Mitsuru.

I keep wanting to learn another character that stands a better chance against her, but I just end up going back to my main heh. I feel like I have to outplay decent/good Mitsuru players in every possible way to win. :x

Busaiku

I'll always be free to Yu cause I never know when I'm actually blocking or when I'm slightly off.
Ugh, this irks me almost as much as Mitsuru.

Onemic

anyone down to play? haven't been able to get any reps in since TTT2's release.

ggs TWILT, my mitsu is so fradulant. Is that oki setup you always do safe? Was trying to figure out if it was punishable by anything other than a dp when blocked.

TWILT

Banned
anyone down to play? haven't been able to get any reps in since TTT2's release.

ggs TWILT, my mitsu is so fradulant. Is that oki setup you always do safe? Was trying to figure out if it was punishable by anything other than a dp when blocked.

Good games. I kept rolling into DPs like a dumbass, but in my defense, it's 2 in the morning over here and I'm tired (going to sleep after I post this lol). The oki set up is usually safe, but I've been DP'd out of it before (might have to do with spacing and how fast I call Izanagi).

I love the IK win I got by the way. Kappa.

Onemic

I suck at this game now. Ranked just puts me up against my worst matchups, S labrys' and S Naoto's. Quite literally they have represented a good 80% of my ranked matches over last night and today.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I suck at this game now. Ranked just puts me up against my worst matchups, S labrys' and S Naoto's. Quite literally they have represented a good 80% of my ranked matches over last night and today.

Stop playing ranked, foo. That's the solution to your problem.

Whoa, didn't know this thread moved to community. Haven't played this game for so long, I must be so rusty.

Time to hit training mode tonight

hypernima

Banned
ggs hypernima. It'll only be a matter of time til you body me since you're using Lab.

I respect her because her block strings are safe as hell against mitsu. The only thing I can do is dp most of the time.

I still don't even fully understand what a blockstring is after 2 years back into fighting games haha.

I'm still faithful to Akihiko/Liz though. And I feel that a good Liz is worst than a good Lab at times in the matchup.

All I know is that in her 5AAA series I can cancel with grapple or trap :\
I also cried when I missed YA: 5AA 236A 6 A 666 5AAAAA 214B 236236D twice :\

Onemic

I still don't even fully understand what a blockstring is after 2 years back into fighting games haha.

I'm still faithful to Akihiko/Liz though. And I feel that a good Liz is worst than a good Lab at times in the matchup.

All I know is that in her 5AAA series I can cancel with grapple or trap :\
I also cried when I missed YA: 5AA 236A 6 A 666 5AAAAA 214B 236236D twice :\

it's just a series of attacks you do when an opponent is blocking. Like a combo but for when your opponent is blocking instead of being hit.

Top Bottom