• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

TWILT

Banned
MaFRL.png

It's been a whole month since the game's been released. Everyone has had at least sometime to practice it (moving past the wake up Cross Slashes, mashing on 5A, spamming their DPs, etc.) Just who is the best among (PSN) GAF though? Join us on September 22, 2012 at 9PM EST (date/time may change) to find out! You may register for the tourney at the Challonge link here.
  • PSN only (Sorry XBL users...)
  • Double Elimination
  • Each match will be 2/3 (Winners/Losers/Grand finals will be 3/5)
  • If you lose a round, you may optionally change characters if you want.
  • Unless a stream is provided, I expect everyone to be honest with who wins/loses.
  • Prizes include bragging rights.
  • I'll also photoshop an image to congratulate you and stuff (I may or may not half ass it though.)
  • If I'm feeling nice, I'll buy you a $20 PSN card if you win the whole thing.
  • And of course, have fun! =D

Geneijin

It might be huge but none of my moves do anything to it except my raid super. That might not be the case for Mitsuru because she's got a sword.
You pretty much have to jump Bear Screw and punish because the timing is wonky and tricky on punishing it. Sometimes, your 5A will punish it. Other times, there's enough time for Teddie to BD.

Edit: Haven't really experimented with it, but there is a trick I'm thinking of doing to punish a blocked Bear Screw as I noticed I never bothered to when I first played Busaiku. Maybe you can try it out for me. Since Bear Screw A is 8 hits and B is 9 hits, if you IB after the first few hits of Bear Screw - the quicker, the better, you should be able to consistently punish it more as you have less hitstun to throw out your quick normals faster than his recovery on it in theory...

Busaiku

(mashing on 5A, spamming their DPs, etc.)

Well, that's it for me.

You pretty much have to jump Bear Screw and punish because the timing is wonky and tricky on punishing it. Sometimes, your 5A will punish it. Other times, there's enough time for Teddie to BD.

Edit: Haven't really experimented with it, but there is a trick I'm thinking of doing to punish a blocked Bear Screw as I noticed I never bothered to when I first played Busaiku. Maybe you can try it out for me. Since Bear Screw A is 8 hits and B is 9 hits, if you IB after the first few hits of Bear Screw - the quicker, the better, you should be able to consistently punish it more as you have less hitstun to throw out your quick normals faster than his recovery on it in theory...
Yosuke might be able to do it because his moves are super fast, but most of the cast will have trouble if I'm not pressing a button immediately after (though I usually do).

Beats

It's been a whole month since the game's been released. Everyone has had at least sometime to practice it (moving past the wake up Cross Slashes, mashing on 5A, spamming their DPs, etc.) Just who is the best among (PSN) GAF though? Join us on September 22, 2012 at 9PM EST (date/time may change) to find out! You may register for the tourney at the Challonge link here.

I totally messed up my registration. And the system wouldn't let me modify/delete it to fix it. >_<

Anyway, I'm excited for this. I didn't get to enter the first one.

Geneijin

Yosuke might be able to do it because his moves are super fast, but most of the cast will have trouble if I'm not pressing a button immediately after (though I usually do).
When IB right (IB more than 3 hits), it'll be a CH combo before you're allowed to press a button because of your recovery on Bear Screw. The only problems punishing Bear Screw with IB is that when Teddie crossups on the other side, it's not guaranteed if you mess up your spacing/whiff your 5A punish. Chie's also able to do this.

TWILT

Banned
I totally messed up my registration. And the system wouldn't let me modify/delete it to fix it. >_<

Anyway, I'm excited for this. I didn't get to enter the first one.

Your PSN is Beats00 right? I fixed it for you. =)

And I actually might be able to stream this after all...stay tuned.

cjkeats

Well, I'm signed up. See you on the first round losers bench!

I had a ton of fun in the Giant Bomb tournament the week the game came out, even though I lost first match there too. I did win one round though, and the guy ended up coming second in the overall tourney.

Geneijin

Yukiko and Yu can't punish even on IB though.
Ah, misread that as Yosuke and Yu earlier. Forgive me :lol

Edit: Just tested it now, and they both can punish Bear Screw with IB if they mash 5A immediately after. Well, Yukiko more so immediately after IB than Yu because of her slow 5A startup. Yu's 5A has a larger chance of whiffing than Chie's, but he has the same chances to punish like Chie. It also seems that the requirement to punish Bear Screw with IB may even be to IB 4 hits or more. Not sure how to tell the difference if it's a 3 or 4 hit minimum as my execution isn't that precise :(

Busaiku

Yeah, I definitely have no clue how to play Yosuke.
Just pressing buttons until I hit you seems like the most reliable strategy.

Wow. I am suddenly reminded why I hate Yukiko so much.

Zoning type character. Best 5A and j5A in the game. Wat

I dare anyone to try stuffing it (no DP's of course). If she is in range and you attack at all you lose every time even if you do it first.

Good games btw.

Does anyone have a link to frame data for everyone's 5A's plus other moves? I want to check something.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it was never released.

Onemic

I dare anyone to try stuffing it (no DP's of course). If she is in range and you attack at all you lose every time even if you do it first.

Good games btw.

Does anyone have a link to frame data for everyone's 5A's plus other moves? I want to check something.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it was never released.

Yup I hate yukikos 5a and I play mitsu. Her 5a has the slowest startup(10 frames) but its extremely deceiving because of how much she moves forward and its wide area of attack. Its also like teddys 5a in that if any part of it touches you you're eating a combo.

I still think mitsu has the best 5a, but yukiko definately gets best j5a for me. With naoto not far behind.

Beats

Good games btw.

Good games. :p I didn't get a chance to do any of the counter/fatal counter combos I've been practicing heh.

Yeah they're pretty good, but I think Chie's 2B can beat Yukiko's jA pretty easily most of the time.

Busaiku

Seriously, I rarely ever get hit with any other character's Instant Kill, but I always get hit by Yukiko's.
It is clearly the cheapest move in the game.

Not sure how reliable it is, but some of it's up on Dustloop wiki. Here's Yukiko's. Her 5A has 10 frames of startup apparently.

I still can't believe it. I've never seen it get stuffed by anything at close range save DP's.

Even comparing some of the startup frames for other character's 5A's, I've still lost to Yukiko using those character's 5A's.

This is even worse than Ragna 5B(which I didn't even mind that much compared to this).

BB:CP can't come soon enough.

Onemic

I still can't believe it. I've never seen it get stuffed by anything at close range save DP's.

Even comparing some of the startup frames for other character's 5A's, I've still lost to Yukiko using those character's 5A's.

This is even worse than Ragna 5B(which I didn't even mind that much compared to this).

BB:CP can't come soon enough.

It's because she moves forward I'm thinking. So a smart Yukiko player will use it when they're slightly out of range, because it automatically moves them forward while going through startup. By the time it becomes active and you try and stuff it, it's already too late.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WHY.jpg

Akihiko's TIGER SUPPERCUT doesn't even do crap for damage. :(

On the bright side and if you have meter to burn and no lag you can juggle an opponent with the 236A->236236A(UPPERCUT-if not recovered/blocking)->236236A (UPPERCUT JUGGLE level 2 on that character specific meter but no increase in damage)

Busaiku

Doesn't it do more damage if you have your cyclone gauge up?

Also...
WHY CAN"T I DO COMBOS
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

At least autocombo restores Burst much quicker and gives a lot of meter...

As if I'm not bad enough at this game, when BBCP comes up...
Heaven help me.

Why don't you enter the tourney and prove it? ;)

I was too late to enter the last one and now i have effectively no internet connection or I'd be playing all day. I dunno if I'd win though, I'm only at about Q's level of mashing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What does Yukiko's fire level thing do?
People rarely use it, so is it even anything noteworthy?

Raises damage of her fire attacks. Goes up to level 8. Someone may eventually figure out how to use it more effectively.

Messing around in training with full meter and lvl 8, doing awakened super->awakened super->super wipes out most chars lifebars, lol. Not really practical.

Quadratic

MaFRL.png

• PSN only (Sorry XBL users...)
  • Double Elimination
  • Each match will be 2/3 (Winners/Losers/Grand finals will be 3/5)
  • If you lose a round, you may optionally change characters if you want.
  • Unless a stream is provided, I expect everyone to be honest with who wins/loses.
  • Prizes include bragging rights.
  • I'll also photoshop an image to congratulate you and stuff (I may or may not half ass it though.)
  • If I'm feeling nice, I'll buy you a $20 PSN card if you win the whole thing.
  • And of course, have fun! =D

Damn. I'm still so bad at this game. I need to level up. I'm going to think about signing up if I can get promoted a rank by then.

BlackJace

That's not what I got from it, but... ok.

I don't get what was so hard to interpret from what I said. Did you think I was knocking the game or something?
During the first few weeks I was finding plenty of matches, but now I'm finding only a couple, often the same people over and over. Just an observation.
With me being on at random times and missing fight requests with P4A GAF, I'm forced to just kick it in Offline modes.

Top Bottom