• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Scavenger

Hi guys,

I was thinking of buying the cheaper Asian version of this game for my Japanese PS3 console, but with the game being region locked I’m wondering if the Asian version will actually work on a Japanese Ps3. Has anyone played the Asian version on a Japanese PS3?

Onemic

Ah, also why do you suffer with Labrys? The matchup is definitely in Mitsuru's favor.

No I don't think so. I feel as if it's a 5-5 matchup, but I absolutley suck at it due to labrys' very safe mixup/pressure game when fighting mitsu. Almost any move labrys throws out is only punishable by a dp, and if a labrys player knows how to bait it makes it that much safer. Factor in her chain and great crossup ability and she becomes a real pain to deal with. Characters like chie do have similar and better pressure options, but they don't have the amout of options to get in easily like labrys(unless chie is in awakening). Her dp also causes problems with my offense(although slabs is a lot worse)

Naoto is probably my worst matchup personally though, followed by lab and slab

Noi

I have a hard time taking Onemic's complaints about Labby seriously when I have to pull a gargantuan effort in every round to win against him. If I let up for even a moment I'm eating a missile rapier to the face. You give her waaaaay too much respect.

Onemic

I have a hard time taking Onemic's complaints about Labby seriously when I have to pull a gargantuan effort in every round to win against him. If I let up for even a moment I'm eating a missile rapier to the face. You give her waaaaay too much respect.

Wat, my record against you is like 25-3

Noi

Wat, my record against you is like 25-3

You miss the part where I said I have to try really hard to win all my matches? :p You adapt quickly to all the stuff I can do, so I have to constantly come up with new stuff or else you can 5A your way through my axe.

Shito

I was thinking of buying the cheaper Asian version of this game for my Japanese PS3 console, but with the game being region locked I’m wondering if the Asian version will actually work on a Japanese Ps3. Has anyone played the Asian version on a Japanese PS3?
Sorry for the late answer: yeah, I'm doing just that, playing the Asian version on a Japanese PS3. So you can go ahead, it'll work. :)

T.O.P

Banned
Gaf i'm setting up a new account for the ntsc 360 i just got, even if the console is NA i need my gamertag to have american address and such to buy stuff on the NA marketplace and updates right?

Beckx

Gaf i'm setting up a new account for the ntsc 360 i just got, even if the console is NA i need my gamertag to have american address and such to buy stuff on the NA marketplace and updates right?

When I set up my JP Silver acct for my JP Xbox, I did not need to enter an address. However, I was just redeeming a code. I think you may hit a wall with buying anything from the marketplace - it won't let you buy NA points with a card that has a non-NA address. You'll need to get a NA points card somewhere and enter that code.

Never had to use a region-specific tag to get game updates, BUT those were Cave games where you can even buy the DLC (for Mushi Futari at least) via a US tag.

Onemic

You miss the part where I said I have to try really hard to win all my matches? :p You adapt quickly to all the stuff I can do, so I have to constantly come up with new stuff or else you can 5A your way through my axe.

It's the exact same with me and my record is 3-25. ;p

Sorry for the missed invites. I was powering through the story mode. Got through all the story modes(
poor Labrys
) ending with Yu's as my first cliffhanger ending finish.

Does anyone know if the choices you make in the cliffhanger endings affect anything?

hypernima

Banned
Sorry for the missed invites. I was powering through the story mode. Got through all the story modes(
poor Labrys

Does anyone know if the choices you make in the cliffhanger endings affect anything?

Not really.
Can't find any fights, gonna go to bed :(

TWILT

Banned
poor Labrys

Not really, but if you want to get 100% (which really does nothing, but it's self satisfying I guess), you gotta go through Yu's and pick the other dialogue choices.

hypernima

Banned
Sorry for all the autocombo laming onemic, but that's like one the only things I figure i can do since Mitsuru beats 5AB combos clean for the most part

I was just trying to see in that last match what works against her, Noi is right, you can't autopilot that match at all, or else youll eat 4k :\

I would say that a rightly time 5B can punish Droit though and Jumpback B can too. Does any Labrys player know if its possible to combo after Jumpback B 5AA without them falling out of being so far from Chain Knuckle?

Do 5A>5B instead.

Woops, I meant that. It never works unless she's open cause he DPed it in a match.
Then he'd DP my 5AAAA's and then I just realized to stop if blocked and go into block or cancel into string and try for AOA :\

Sorry for all the autocombo laming onemic, but that's like one the only things I figure i can do since Mitsuru beats 5AB combos clean for the most part

I was just trying to see in that last match what works against her, Noi is right, you can't autopilot that match at all, or else youll eat 4k :\

I would say that a rightly time 5B can punish Droit though and Jumpback B can too. Does any Labrys player know if its possible to combo after Jumpback B 5AA without them falling out of being so far from Chain Knuckle?

Do 5A>5B instead.

Not really, but if you want to get 100% (which really does nothing, but it's self satisfying I guess), you gotta go through Yu's and pick the other dialogue choices.

I see. Based on Yu's ending I'd say we're going to
see more P3/P4 character involvement in P5 compared to say P3 involvement in P4.

Onemic

Woops, I meant that. It never works unless she's open cause he DPed it in a match.
Then he'd DP my 5AAAA's and then I just realized to stop if blocked and go into block or cancel into string and try for AOA :\

Well you shouldn't be able to. :p but really I have to play my absolute best against Lab no matter who I'm playing, as one mistake, counter or not and I take 3-5k dmg. Getting counters on lab is harder than other characters, and that's why most of the match was me doing a flurry of 1-2k mixup combos.

I didn't even know that it could be Dp'd until today. After you guys always saying I respect Lab too much I just decided to try and DP everything.

It's not meant to be used as a block string. I was going on the assumption that you got a hit/counter hit with the j5B and was continuing the combo on the ground with 5AA.

Onemic

A Mitsuru is complaining about this.

Not really complaining just providing perspective on my general matchup problem I have with lab. As I have problems getting counters on her I usually have to do a ton of small 1-2k combos, wheras a lab player can generally give me 3-5k regardless on whether they countered me or not.

wanna play?

hypernima

Banned
It's not meant to be used as a block string. I was going on the assumption that you got a hit/counter hit with the j5B and was continuing the combo on the ground with 5AA.

Ah, i really need to learn some block strings then.

Well you shouldn't be able to. :p but really I have to play my absolute best against Lab no matter who I'm playing, as one mistake, counter or not and I take 3-5k dmg. Getting counters on lab is harder than other characters, and that's why most of the match was me doing a flurry of 1-2k mixup combos.

Best DP in the game besides Dia imo.

I didn't even know that it could be Dp'd until today. After you guys always saying I respect Lab too much I just decided to try and DP everything.

A Mitsuru is complaining about this.

Yea, because Lab can punish hard, with 100 SP or with YA or RA. I need to learn more corner RA combos though :\

Onemic

ggs Poorfate.

People are now catching on to my grab after droit shenanigans. :p

Your Chie is coming along though, you have most of her pressure options down pretty tight.

Wasn't sure what I was doing there.

The only combo I have is the auto one but I like to avoid using that too much. Chie can't punish characters with longer range moves so it wouldn't of mattered if I did know combo's anyway.

ggs Poorfate.

People are now catching on to my grab after droit shenanigans. :p

More like I just grab anyway and get fatal countered every time.

Onemic

Wasn't sure what I was doing there.

The only combo I have is the auto one but I like to avoid using that too much. Chie can't punish characters with longer range moves so it wouldn't of mattered if I did know combo's anyway.

You should just use Labrys and body me free every time.

You could have easily bodied me with Chie if you used a certain move that's super abusable with her, but I want my 15min of glory...

You should just use Labrys and body me free every time.

You could have easily bodied me with Chie if you used a certain move that's super abusable with her, but I want my 15min of glory...

I probably won't use Labrys anymore. When I get good enough with a character in a fighting game I will bench them permanently in favour of using characters I'm not good with.

When I lose I will then console myself by thinking that I would of crushed if I used my better character, but I never will because that leaves open the possibility to actually losing with that character.

Onemic

I probably won't use Labrys anymore. When I get good enough with a character in a fighting game I will bench them permanently in favour of using characters I'm not good with.

When I lose I will then console myself by thinking that I would of crushed if I used my better character, but I never will because that leaves open the possibility to actually losing with that character.

Ah, hedging your bets huh?

Honestly though, just abuse chie's AOA. Its the fastest(and best) in the game by far and when mixed in with her blockstrings, it makes her go from good to godly. You used it, but not enough to make me scared like with my sweep mixups. I was never able to block it unless I was already standing.

Ah, hedging your bets huh?

Honestly though, just abuse chie's AOA. Its the fastest(and best) in the game by far and when mixed in with her blockstrings, it makes her go from good to godly. You used it, but not enough to make me scared like with my sweep mixups. I was never able to block it unless I was already standing.

I will probably play Labrys again. I tend to flip flop a lot when it comes to this.

I think I might just choose a different character to learn. Chie's combo style doesn't really jive with me anyway. Too much effort for too little damage. Plus the double skullcrackers are a pain in the ass to do consistently, disregarding the fact that I was never in the position to do it in the matches we played. Also the few times I used her AoA I got hit out of it so I stopped. I think I actually hit with it twice but it doesn't lead to anything big since I have almost zero combo knowledge

I haven't touched persona in so long...=( I'm going to be so free aren't I?

QQ I just have way too many games that I just recently bought and trying to finish before more games come in. Been playing a little TTT2, umvc3 (friends), lollipop chainsaw, asscreed brotherhood, and now BL2.

I might just have to grind it out with Twil or somebody on friday night just to catchup or risk going 0-2.

So are there any other Akihiko players on Gaf these days? All I see are people dropping him D:

Went back to the Gears of War 3 vortex these past few weeks, I'm pretty sure everyone online has leveled up significantly while I'm gone so I'm going to get bodied on ranked.

I'm probably going to use this thread to set some milestones for training mode. I should optimize my fatal counter combo a bit more, practice a new anti-air combo, practice some air-to-air situations, and work on some knockdown mix-ups(hopefully I can utilize some air turns). Also I should investigate the property of the EX weave a bit, and I definitely need to check out the cyclone level 3 overhead's property.

MechaX

Came back to the game after a break and essentially fraudulently worked my way to B rank in Ranked (Naoto traps, j.C + auto combo, or random Double Fangs B, IK in second round). Was still getting hella nervous in those rounds though.

Top Bottom