• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Geneijin

laaame

Guys, sign up for the GAFBats.

The 1st will be this Saturday at 8 PM EST.
The ranbats will be every week in October.

Win or not, show up every week, and you still have a shot at something!
Of course if you win, you get the most fabulous prizes!

Would it be possible to enter the 2nd one next week? I may or may not be able to make it for this Saturday, but for now I am going to say no because I don't want to be a no-show and waste people's time.

When this game came out, I didn't get a stick because I didn't expect to play for longer than the story modes and then just quit. But I'm addicted and now I feel like if I spend time learning the stick from scratch, I will get good only after everyone quits. But I can't keep fighting with this goddamn PS3 controller. My right analog is loose as hell and I can barely pull off qcb or basically any super when I'm panicked. Fuck. I don't want to relearn shit.

Geneijin

Damn that looked crazy.

I should practice that combo, it does almost 2k more than what I currently do off a FC.
I'm surprised you haven't seen it yet. What kind of Yosuke player are you D:

When this game came out, I didn't get a stick because I didn't expect to play for longer than the story modes and then just quit. But I'm addicted and now I feel like if I spend time learning the stick from scratch, I will get good only after everyone quits. But I can't keep fighting with this goddamn PS3 controller. My right analog is loose as hell and I can barely pull off qcb or basically any super when I'm panicked. Fuck. I don't want to relearn shit.
It's totally worth putting in the time. I wouldn't be half as competent without switching to stick.

Onemic

Ill be around at least until the release of GG and probably after that. This is my first fighter I've followed and started training on day 1, so I'll be here for a while.

Busaiku

Would it be possible to enter the 2nd one next week? I may or may not be able to make it for this Saturday, but for now I am going to say no because I don't want to be a no-show and waste people's time.

That's perfectly fine!
If you can make it out every week, that's great, and I want to possibly make it worth your while.

But the goal is to just play!
So if you wanna play, join in whenever you can!

It's totally worth putting in the time. I wouldn't be half as competent without switching to stick.

Ill be around at least until the release of GG and probably after that. This is my first fighter I've followed and started training on day 1, so I'll be here for a while.

How long did it take you to learn the stick? I've never even used one in an arcade. I've got no disposable income right now, so I'll probably spend a lot of time doing research.

Onemic

I'm surprised you haven't seen it yet. What kind of Yosuke player are you D:

6.8k fc combo in the corner and people complain about mitsus 6.1k fc corner combo :T

How long did it take you to learn the stick? I've never even used one in an arcade. I've got no disposable income right now, so I'll probably spend a lot of time doing research.

About a week. I never really played fighters seriosuly until maybe 2 weeks before I got my stick, so I guess not really being good at any peripheral helped a bit too.

Uncle AJ

What in the world is that...?
Tame (タメ) means to charge, if that helps.

Google Translated frame data, yo

I was looking at Naoto's specifically. I haven't played much of her, but someone I play against frequently likes to abuse 5C xx 2C in blockstrings and I'm trying to figure out what I can punish with as Chie. So I'm not sure which one of those two is her 2C. If Tame means charge then can she hold down C to get a longer attack?

Beckx

4I didn't get a stick because I didn't expect to play for longer than the story modes and then just quit. But I'm addicted and now I feel like if I spend time learning the stick from scratch, I will get good only after everyone quits.

Nice thing is that once you learn to use the stick those skills will translate over to other games.

6.8k fc combo in the corner and people complain about mitsus 6.1k fc corner combo

I complain about never being able to pull off a combo better than 4K and that only under perfect circumstances. :p

vocab

What are some good chie bnbs. I looked at the combo thread, and there's just so many long ones. I need that simple stuff.

Geneijin

Well, I've read about it but hadn't really seen it in action IT INVOLVES IADS IN COMBOS AND I SUCK AT THOSE DON'T JUDGE ME D:
Same. It's why I ain't bothering to learn it ;__;

Hard to say. I didn't settle on a grip until playing P4A for awhile after release date. Technically, I started 6 months ago with SSF4 casually, but I never dedicated enough time for it unlike P4A.

What, am I doin something wrong lol
Thanatos pressure is the bane of my existence. If you started landing your midscreen combos with Liz, I'd start to hate you (if we ever play) D:

vocab

5A > dc > 5AA > 5B > 2B > Sweep
5A > dc > 5A > dc > 5AA > 5B > 2B > Sweep
5A > dc > 5A > dc > 5A > dc > 5AA > 5B > 2B > Sweep
...and so forth

dash cancel? If so, I tried to do that a while back, and seemed impossible. Is the window super small, or what?

Geneijin

dash cancel? If so, I tried to do that a while back, and seemed impossible. Is the window super small, or what?
When Chie's 5A hits on block, dash cancel and press 5A again quickly before the animation ends if you're having trouble.

Edit: YES, dustloop updating its wiki with frame data. Finally.

Uncle AJ

When Chie's 5A hits on block, dash cancel and press 5A again quickly before the animation ends if you're having trouble.

5A and 2A are not dash-cancelleable, you have to wait for the recovery frames to finish. But 5A is +1 on block w/ a 5 frame startup so you're able to keep that string up without the ability to cancel.

So it's more like: 5A -> (wait for 5A to recover) -> dash -> cancel dash into 5A immediately

shtkn

that's not a dash cancel. you are waiting for the 5A to finish its recovery, then do another dash 5A immediately afterwards.

also, you should use 4A instead so you won't get 5AA instead if you do it too fast. ormaybe you want a 5AA? i dunno, depends what you'd rather have happen: 5AA or nothing.

Geneijin

5A and 2A are not dash-cancelleable, you have to wait for the recovery frames to finish. But 5A is +1 on block w/ a 5 frame startup so you're able to keep that string up without the ability to cancel.

So it's more like: 5A -> (wait for 5A to recover) -> dash -> cancel dash into 5A immediately
that's not a dash cancel. you are waiting for the 5A to finish its recovery, then do another dash 5A immediately afterwards.
Yeah, dash 5A as I've been corrected.

also, you should use 4A instead so you won't get 5AA instead if you do it too fast. ormaybe you want a 5AA? i dunno, depends what you'd rather have happen: 5AA or nothing.
No clue. Not a Chie player :3

Thanatos pressure is the bane of my existence. If you started landing your midscreen combos with Liz, I'd start to hate you (if we ever play) D:

Well from what I can seem to work out, due to the knock back it isn't possible to start with a connect between 2C then Bufu etc etc...

Though Thanatos pressure is a tad more difficult than it looks cause...ya know...people do crap like jumping and...yeah jumping.

Onemic

Are you a student or something? You're always up for matches. Any day, any time.

Just graduated in the middle of August actually. I have a job now so Im not on as much as I used to be, but my shift ended around lunchtime today so I have some extra time to burn on the game.

He's just hungry man.

Well played.

More UNiB avys! Is the game coming out to consoles soon or something?

Ya the game being my first fighter Ive tried hard learning(apart from sfiv) and that I got it at launch instead of coming in 3 years removed probably helps my motivation level for tryign to get better

He's just hungry man.

Well played.

You have almost no say. You never play P4A.

Just graduated in the middle of August actually. I have a job now so Im not on as much as I used to be, but my shift ended around lunchtime today so I have some extra time to burn on the game.

More UNiB avys! Is the game coming out to consoles soon or something?

Ya the game being my first fighter Ive tried hard learning(apart from sfiv) and that I got it at launch instead of coming in 3 years removed probably helps my motivation level for tryign to get better

Ah ic. I'll probably play this game LESS since I just GOT TTT2. THANKS Q!

Steaks

UNIB looks positively awful from the gameplay I've watched. It could be good with a huge update but right now it has infinites that scale so hard they end in time overs 99% of the time.

Onemic

UNIB looks positively awful from the gameplay I've watched. It could be good with a huge update but right now it has infinites that scale so hard they end in time overs 99% of the time.

links to said gameplay?

Does it even have a release date for consoles?

OceanBlue

A patch was just released today to deal with the biggest contributing factor to the infinites: Chain Shift. Dunno if it works, of course, since it was just released and it's nighttime in Japan right now.

The combos even outside of infinites are still longer than I'd like though. OTGs suck.

Beckx

Been watching Alex Valle play Akihiko during Level Up Series WNFAE. It's actually encouraging to see that there are no secrets or really super combos that I don't know about, just a level of execution that far, far exceeds mine. I'm no good at these massive 30+ hit combos so it's nice to watch someone be effective with most of his game based around precision/timing/pressure.

Nyoro SF

Been watching Alex Valle play Akihiko during Level Up Series WNFAE. It's actually encouraging to see that there are no secrets or really super combos that I don't know about, just a level of execution that far, far exceeds mine. I'm no good at these massive 30+ hit combos so it's nice to watch someone be effective with most of his game based around precision/timing/pressure.

Alex Valle isn't actually an execution monster though.

He's just really good at knowing when to attack. Super good.

Top Bottom