• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Onemic

Man, I'm too lazy.
And I still wanna play through the story again at some point.

It's completely in english. The story mode has subtitles automatically enabled.

I need moar players, Busaiky pls
chansub-global-emoticon-f6c13c7fc0a5c93d-36x30.png

vocab

Fun game, do miss. Been playing more ggpo games.. I hit a brick wall in progression across the board and everyone I know stopped playing p4a.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm restricting myself to single player, because now I can only play every 2 weeks and I can't handle the online salt. Also, I wanted to get the story trophies.

Haven't played this game in so long.

It seems like the online scene is pretty dead.

I'm sure the GG release had something to do with that as well.

Well, there's always BBCP next year. :p

TWILT

Banned
Still play this game every other day. I'm usually playing in Brett's lobby, though I'm usually up for matches if you see me playing.

Onemic

Haven't played this game in so long.

It seems like the online scene is pretty dead.

I'm sure the GG release had something to do with that as well.

Well, there's always BBCP next year. :p

not really, GG online is pretty dead too. Maybe that'll change when they finally release the game outside Japan

I havent played this game since the last ranbat and even before then I pretty much stopped playing due to the online being pretty dead.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Online died because of region lock and the characters not really being too balanced for tournament play (last I played, checked). Akihiko is basically essentially broke compared to the rest of the cast due to Caesar being mostly useless. I get the idea Atlus/Arc wanted with him but it simply isn't practical against the rest of the cast.

Of course, the local university is doing a LAN that'll have a few P4U players. But I'm not sure I want to wade onto campus to play Akihiko against people that I'll never see again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It's true, dude.

As for Akihiko: Honestly tell me what good is his persona for. The whole "Tager/Potemkin but mixed with Makoto/forgetting the GG variant" idea was nice but not practical when the rest of the cast have far better Personas that aren't situational to use and the game practically wants you to use Personas in tandem with your attacks.

If Akihiko could summon Caesar without Caesar taking forever to start his magnet pull (or grant Akihiko Magnet pull powers in addition to having more than that sword swipe attack as a Persona attack) Akihiko would be worthwhile to play.

Busaiku

That's the thing though.
Akihiko doesn't need to rely on Caesar at all.

He's got some of the fastest stuff in the game and some of the highest damage setups.
Caesar's just a bonus thing (and there for Burst too), so if it gets broken, big deal, you can still do just about everything.

Yeah Yukiko's probably not good though.
Elizabeth, I dunno, when 1 combo will take her out.

Akihiko's definitely not low tier.
Mid, sure, but he's nowhere near as helpless as Kanji or anything.

Sophia

Online died because of region lock and the characters not really being too balanced for tournament play (last I played, checked). Akihiko is basically essentially broke compared to the rest of the cast due to Caesar being mostly useless. I get the idea Atlus/Arc wanted with him but it simply isn't practical against the rest of the cast.

It's true, dude.

As for Akihiko: Honestly tell me what good is his persona for. The whole "Tager/Potemkin but mixed with Makoto/forgetting the GG variant" idea was nice but not practical when the rest of the cast have far better Personas that aren't situational to use and the game practically wants you to use Personas in tandem with your attacks.

If Akihiko could summon Caesar without Caesar taking forever to start his magnet pull (or grant Akihiko Magnet pull powers in addition to having more than that sword swipe attack as a Persona attack) Akihiko would be worthwhile to play.

What the heck am I reading?

This makes me want to jump online and kick some behinds as Akihiko now.

Onemic

It's true, dude.

Akihiko's an A tier character. He doesn't need his persona and when he does have it 5C is a great mixup tool. I think you're more basing it on your troubles with the character when you were still playing the game.

And this game is FAR more balanced than a lot of fighting games out there. If this game is unbalanced for tournament play(meaning essentially broken) then pretty much every fighter that isn't KOF or VF is beyond broken in comparison.

And if Aki could do that, he'd be broken tier.

Steaks

Akihiko is fine and if you think he's bad you're probably channeling being bad at the game into your character. You can't just focus on a weakness and use that as an example of overall character weakness. Having all of your power be character dependent is actually a GOOD thing. Mitsuru has bad startup frames! Terrible character! The worst! It's so easy to project an excuse. Is there a reason Akihiko isn't top tier? Yeah, it's because he has to weave through bullshit to get in and the characters better than him have decent methods of keeping him out while doing pretty large amounts of damage. Akhiko's weakness is he has to work a little harder to get in than better characters have to keep him out, and by a very slight margin.

Every character that is not Kanji and Liz is tournament playable. Even then, unless you're at the tippy top level of play, there's plenty of room for both of those characters to win.

Nyoro SF

Yeah Akihiko has definitely broken out of the low tier pack and is a really solid character. He has the damage and he has the options. His real weakness is just how incredibly shitty his reversal game is and that if you're forced to stay on the ground your attack ranges blow ass.

After watching Kubo's Akihiko this is how I feel. Kubo really does take advantage of IAD j.B better than anyone else. His dash-in and dash-out game is unrivaled.

Deps

Akihiko is very good. He has one of the best anti airs, stupid damage, and great up close. His 5B is amazing, very fast and can easily hitconfirm it into his FC combo. He loses to zoners and some other characters but it's not even that bad, and with how much damage he does and how scary he is up close he can turn matches around very fast.

Nyoro SF

I think it's kind of strange that berserk doesn't go away if you hit the opponent but every other status effect does.

Whatevs.

No point in having a damage bonus on a status effect if it goes away the moment you hit someone :)

Anyway I just watched some footage from A-cho, and um... Aigis... I've seen crazy footage before, but this guy was incredible. This game can be more brutal than any other sometimes. Also no one plays Yukiko.

No point in having a damage bonus on a status effect if it goes away the moment you hit someone :)

Anyway I just watched some footage from A-cho, and um... Aigis... I've seen crazy footage before, but this guy was incredible. This game can be more brutal than any other sometimes. Also no one plays Yukiko.

I mean if you hit Teddie after he has berserked you.

Or are you saying that you get a damage bonus while berserked?

alstein

Yukiko is only S-tier at sucking cock, she's barely viable in this.

That's my problem with Persona, it's a great engine and gameplay, but it's just not refined enough balance-wise to be serious. Too many chars suck ass in this, it needs a balance revision.

Nyoro SF

I mean if you hit Teddie after he has berserked you.

Or are you saying that you get a damage bonus while berserked?

Yep. Extra 25% damage on all attacks while Raged, if I recall.

Yukiko is only S-tier at sucking cock, she's barely viable in this.

That's my problem with Persona, it's a great engine and gameplay, but it's just not refined enough balance-wise to be serious. Too many chars suck ass in this, it needs a balance revision.

It's more like... the top tier of this game is just off the goddamn wall. Any hope I had about Aigis and Mitsuru being usurped as the best characters just vanished a couple of hours ago. Talk about insane hitboxes.

Poor Yukiko. She's actually good in my opinion, but she can't stand up to these monsters. Watching Stunedge get pinned against the wall by Mitsuru a couple of weeks ago for over half the round each time was heartbreaking.

In brighter news, I just started playing Persona 3 FES a couple of days ago. So far, it's looking great.

alstein

Yukiko's not bad, she's just not good enough in this game. This game is just a good balance patch away from being great, it's so frustrating when games just fall short.

Would an Aigis/Mitsuru ban make the game better? (it would never happen though)

Onemic

Yukiko's not bad, she's just not good enough in this game. This game is just a good balance patch away from being great, it's so frustrating when games just fall short.

Would an Aigis/Mitsuru ban make the game better? (it would never happen though)

Honestly they just need to nerf Aigis' ability to having a universal 4k move and her ability to so cancel sweep into instant overhead. For Mitsu they have to lower the range of her 5A hitbox so she can't hit you from practically anywhere.

Oh and nerf Noato's SMP loops.

Geneijin

For Mitsu they have to lower the range of her 5A hitbox so she can't hit you from practically anywhere.
She can keep her 5A as is. Her corner carry is more absurd. 5A should have more startup frames though.

Haha it's finally uploaded... the most hype moment of our local tournament this past weekend.

P4A losers finals match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-7l5IxxHqQ&t=3m7s

Everyone went effing nuts.

I play that character and didn't even know the IK tracks the opponent. <_<
wut, I never knew that.

Top Bottom