• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

vocab

If folks don't want to play a game, the netcode doesn't matter.

It's funny how this game stays alive for tournies- I think the simplicity helps it- you don't have to lab monster it up so you can just play- it's kinda got a ST-ish vibe in that regard.

Even the criticism that you've seen one char you've seen them all- also seems to apply to ST as well for many chars. You're not going to see two T.Hawks in ST play differently.

Finally somehow managed to get an S-rank today, first time that's ever happened. I do think this game taught me something about Arc fighters in general, I understand the basic gameplay more. I'd have to play BBCP to see how much of it actually took though.

I was thinking about that the other day. I think some characters in most street fighter games are pretty linear in general. Balrog for example has the same gameplan as any other balrog, but a character like ryu can have many play styles. So many people dropped him in sfiv for that reason. I don't know if its the design of these characters or the limited options they have. I'll agree that p4a eased me into arc skys games better. I feel like i have an easier time with guilty gear, and even something like arcana heart 3 feels familiar.

Yeah, hopefully. Too bad you were away earlier though. Another time.

Fuck man. I left my ps3 on while i was sleeping. Sorry about that.

DR2K

Banned
Just got this for $20($30 on sale, had a coupon) at Gamestop. Arcs best fighting game to date bar none.

Bout to dive into the story mode.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Since I'm planning on getting Persona, I was wondering what the online scene is like right now?

On PS3 is winding down already, still you can find matches easily. I heard on 360 is dead though.

cj_iwakura

For what it's worth, I assume most of us are willing to jump on and play whenever possible(me, I have a P3Vanilla Elizabeth to kill).

vocab

Very hard to find any matches. It's really dead.

Not hard at all on Ps3. P4a, and BBCSextend both have active communities, just not as super active as it was at release. Which is expected. I play it like every other two or three days, and still find matches. I have a few friends, and a few gaffers that I lobby with on occasion, and i'm in the process of teaching someone 2d fighters with p4a. I'll probably play this game off and on until the release of DSR/BBCP since there aren't any fighting games I enjoy playing. Also, if it ever comes out in euro (lolyaright), I'll have more people to play. If GG wasn't just a port, and actually was a legitimate disc release, Id play that.

Longevity and fighters(especially anime fighters) just don't work unless your SFIV(well there's Marvel, but the online anit worth fucking shit). The newest ones get consumed like hell, and people move onto the next game. It's kind of a shame because fighting games are supposed to get better with time when everyone gets better, but I have never seen any of non capcom games get to these points. I feel like the experienced player just dominates for the first month, and the less experienced player tries to evolve, but the experienced player just quits.

TL:DR play what you want. As long as you can play with one other person. I still play Arcana Heart 3 once in a while with another gaffer. Now that game is dead. Fuck it's 3am why am I ranting retardedlyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Shito

PS3 online is not dead. At least it wasn't last week when I played a few matches to blow the rust away.
This topic is, though. :(

Nyoro SF

I made a lobby on XBL this past weekend and got lots of people to join. So I forgive everyone who doesn't post. I don't really post that much either :)

I still like playing too, and today only gave me more motivation to do so, but I can pretty much count my local scene with one hand, and the 360 online is...well...even if not exactly dead, it's definitely less than ideal for where I live.

I will most likely be able to play Friday if anyone would be interested. Sucks cause I accidentally left p4a for Xbox back at my apartment and I am currently 2.5hours away.

Well, that's the idea this year. Honestly, I don't expect to get out of my bracket on anything, but hey, what better way to celebrate a 21st birthday don't you think?

Chairhome

It may be answered already, but are there heavy P3 and P4 spoilers in the story mode? This game is currently on sale for $20 at Gamestop, thinking about picking it up but I haven't beaten either P3 or P4. Should I just get it and stay away from Story mode til then?

Probably, it's really mostly the P3 characters' stories that are somewhat spoilery. Aigis somewhat and Elizabeth majorly. This is including P3FES The Answer spoilers btw.

For P4 the spoilers are just mostly about the characters themselves really.

Sophia

Thanks. So if i stay away from story mode for now I'm okay?

Yeah, you're fine if you stay away from story mode.

Story mode doesn't spoil anything endgame for Persona 4, but it does have tons of minor spoilers for both games, as well a major spoiler for Persona 3 FES's The Answer.

MrDaravon

Yeah I picked it up because of the Gamestop sale; I've beaten Persona 3 but haven't gotten to 4 yet (will soon though). But it's not going to get much cheaper than $20 so why not? I plan on just ignoring the story mode altogether until I beat Persona 4, as far as I can tell in versus mode you can choose whoever you want anyway (aka no character unlocks tied to story mode in versus/online).

Sophia

Only unlocks are the things like the commentators and announcers, and the only one that comes from Story mode is Teddie as a commentator so...

Thanks everyone... I think I'm going to get it now. Haha.

Yeah, seems like the $20 price drop might bring some new folks in. Or at least that's what I'm hoping as I'm also going to nab it as well as soon as I can sneak off to a local Gamestop. I'm not really any type of Persona fan (though I did like Devil Survivor: Overclocked) but I have a fighting game addiction of sorts where even if I don't have the time for them I still pick up pretty much all the major fighting game releases when they make it under $20. It's just fun to have around for messing around locally even if I never really jump into the grind online.

Moonlight

Banned
=Story mode doesn't spoil anything endgame for Persona 4, but it does have tons of minor spoilers for both games, as well a major spoiler for Persona 3 FES's The Answer.
P4 late-game spoilers:
Technically if you played Arena before you played Persona 4, you'd already know that Nanako survives. Then again, it's all in the same string of cutscenes, but it'd still take a bit of the wind out of that scene.

Top Bottom