• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

I think the problem is I get so freaked out by Labrys' FA I respect it more than any other attack in the game(maybe Slab's FA moreso). If you noticed those times I KO'D you really quick was when I just went in a didn't give a shit. When you started FA'ing though, I started to play defensive, which you should never do with lab.

I remembered your FA to super shenanigans the last time we fought so I made sure to not fall into that same trap :p.

When I got caught in your rhythm it was pretty much over. Her FA is pretty good because you can't be damaged during it, but there's a bunch of situations where it just screws you over. S.Lab's is better since it's a lot faster, so you don't get things like missing them by a hair resulting in a punish.

The FA>Super is my trump card. It's risky if I only have 50 Heat because if I activate it too early it gets blocked, if I activate it too late then I get punished normally. Time it just right as they attack and you get out.

FA>Super>OMC is best case scenario, so even if it gets blocked I can cancel it and do whatever.

does BBCP have a release date for consoles yet?

Still TBA. Following the precedent of the previous games iirc it should be coming out this summer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yup, a good Aki can easily kill you in 2 combos if you're not careful.

Getting in is the problem though and there's the issue. Every other character has tools that can break guards and get in. Akihiko has... a magnet pull? That can be fan-tossed/projectiled to cancel?

FluxWaveZ

Getting in is the problem though and there's the issue. Every other character has tools that can break guards and get in. Akihiko has... a magnet pull? That can be fan-tossed/projectiled to cancel?

That's why Aki players have to play "smart" instead of trying to recklessly approach the opponent. Aside from simply blocking or rolling or not getting hit during his D moves, Akihiko can use 236C/D, 214C/D and 214A/B as evasion or counter tactics. These are all effective ways of approaching the opponent and it's when the Aki gets close that he's dangerous. Of course it's hard for him to approach keepaways, but his mix-ups, high health and crazy damage make up for it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
None of those options work. They can be stuffed or countered by a faster move. Good luck using duck/weave as a counter ender and jumping back from a counter-move. You won't. You'll get hit and eat a combo and then have to wait until you can get through fans (spoiler: you probably won't if they time them right) or persona attacks (spoiler: you can't since Ceaser sucks hard) to get back there.

FluxWaveZ

None of those options work. They can be stuffed or countered by a faster move. Good luck using duck/weave as a counter ender and jumping back from a counter-move. You won't. You'll get hit and eat a combo and then have to wait until you can get through fans (spoiler: you probably won't if they time them right) or persona attacks (spoiler: you can't since Ceaser sucks hard) to get back there.

I don't get it. For one, Aki can weave through the fans thrown at him, gaining meter in the process. But what moves will stuff his evasion tactics by a "faster move"? Using Duck's invulnerability or Weave's is to go through projectiles. His Parry > duck also works to get through. Blocking and advancing works for long-range Persona attacks. Holding D and releasing at the right moment is actually an effective way of getting the opponent to get closer, especially since Caesar is invulnerable during its active frames.

I assume you've watched high-level Akis like Dacidbro play? Watching them play Akihiko gives a good idea of how well they can get through to opponents and proceed to destroy them.

Not that the Aki vs. Liz/Yukiko/Naoto/Mitsuru matchups aren't in their favor, but Aki has ways to get through to them. Kanji has less options than Aki does in terms of approach.

Onemic

Man Im so bad at this game now. Dropped from S to B+ rank with Mitsuru within a day ;_;

I should just say fuck it all and roll with Aki.

I'll throw in my gtag I guess?

XBL - DEEEEEWSHBADGE

I'd be interested in facing a few XBL gaiz, I'm not exactly aware of how good I am at this game.

Also holy shit, I heard mass destruction for the first time and I got struck with dat NOSTALGIA.

is seks bitching again? Aki loses to Yukiko? LOLOLOL what? That matchup at worst is a 4.5-5.5 for aki. How is it fair that if aki touches you once you lose 50% hp and put in a mixup situation when Yukiko has to hit you 5-6 combos just to kill you? Yukiko almost has no way to bypass aki's awakening but aki has every tool in the fucking book to negate yukiko's awakening.

Btw aki has 10k hp and a fan does 300 damage. If you're dying to fans then you just suck. Let me rephrase, you have 10k health, 99 secs and do 50% combos. Why the fuck are you just trying to bulldoze rush your way in. Stop fucking pressing buttons and learn how to actually play.

Also if yukiko is tossing fans guess what you should be doing? Shit If I were akihiko I wished yukiko did nothing but throw fans. Instant block and duck/weave all day then when I land a hit you die. The matchup isn't free but its nowhere near "hard".

Akihiko is upper mid tier. He is nowhere near yukiko, labyrs, liz, or kanji tier. Just look at any major results or at SBO.

Shit if his "worse" matchup is yukiko then I daresay deal with it. You know what liz/kanji/yukiko/slab have to deal with? Their worse matchup is atleast 4-6 with the common consensus of 3-7 and its with actual top tier characters. Play kanji vs liz, yukiko vs slab, liz vs mitsuru if you really want to feel what a useless piece of crap a character can be.

The problem with people is that people just like to bitch about things rather than find reasons to win. I go pretty even with onem1c when we used to play in sets and he played Mitsuru and I still did day 1 combos. I didn't just go "ooo woe is me that mitsuru beats majority of my options". Its one thing to ask for help or state an opinion, but when you get answers that refute your statement from actual decent players then you're probably wrong. We even talked on vent how a lot of players just want to press buttons and have the most obvious patterns.

Busaiku is a model player. He wasn't great at the game, he even admitted it but he knew what he was doing wrong and knew what characters teddie should beat. Never once he said "TEDDIE IS USELESS! GOD HE HAS NO OVERHEAD SO THAT MEANS HE SUCKS! HIS PERSONA SUCKS TOO BECAUSE BLAHBLAHBLAH" and kept saying it over and over. Busaiku has the mindset that most people need to have. I've beaten busaiku almost like 85-90% time we played and he still palyed and tried to adapt and get better. That guy has the heart and mind, but do you? NOPE

Reclaimer

Playing through Persona 4 vita right now, and really enjoying it (maybe 10-15 hours in). How spoilery is Arena, or can I jump in right now?

cjkeats

Playing through Persona 4 vita right now, and really enjoying it (maybe 10-15 hours in). How spoilery is Arena, or can I jump in right now?

They dance around what happens pretty well, unless you consider "good guys solve mystery and save the day" a spoiler. I don't recall if they mention the killer by name though, which would be a big spoiler.
Personally I'd wait before playing story mode.

FluxWaveZ

Persona 4 Arena is a direct sequel to Persona 4, so I would recommend you finish P4G before playing P4A's story mode. There aren't many big spoilers, but there are some concerning certain events that occured in the previous game as well as some character spoilers.

A list of what I can think it spoils (don't highlight if you haven't finished Persona 4):
-Human Teddie
-The fact that Teddie's a Shadow
-Nanako ended up in the TV world at some point
-That the Investigtion Team defeated a god
-That Naoto's female
The really major spoilers P4A has are in relation to Persona 3.

Edit: WHAT THE HELL. I totally put the spoiler block and it even appeared as such when I refreshed my browser, but I change computers and it's gone. Are bullet point lists incompatible with the spoiler tag? Is the Universe against me? I really hope I didn't spoil anything for anyone, ugh. I just wanted to list out what I thought would be spoiled in P4A for reference for those who finished P4; I'm sorry...

Maybe it's a difference between IE9 and Chrome...

Reclaimer

Ack! Block those spoilers FluxWaveZ! (I think you meant to, but just didn't actually put the spoiler tags in...)

I'll wait until I'm finished with P4G first. Thanks guys!

FluxWaveZ

Edit: I apologize for having no sub :(

Ha, don't worry about it. I don't really have one either, but I still play all of the cast just for fun.

Edit: Good games. Always nice playing a Yosuke who knows actual combos, though it seemed that you were unfortunately dropping some critical ones because of the latency/timing.

Geneijin

Edit: Good games. Always nice playing a Yosuke who knows actual combos, though it seemed that you were unfortunately dropping some critical ones because of the latency/timing.
Good games. If it weren't for the first 2 games where I skipped the intro, the lag was clean for the most part. There was the occasional sporadic slowdown, but it was good considering our distances from one another I'm assuming (West Coast here)?

There weren't many combos I dropped I think. The lag mostly affected my glide shenanigans :lol

Edit: Ah, some of the OMC combos I tried to do to finish the round. That was all bad timing. Latency might have played a part in it.

FluxWaveZ

I was mostly thinking about the Garudyne > OMC > 2B that you missed a fair amount of times, but yeah, I suppose the lag wasn't too bad. I live in Montreal, so I've had some bad luck when it comes to finding good connections.

Geneijin

I was mostly thinking about the Garudyne > OMC > 2B that you missed a fair amount of times, but yeah, I suppose the lag wasn't too bad. I live in Montreal, so I've had some bad luck when it comes to finding good connections.
Pretty sure if it weren't for the lag, you would school me majorly :lol

Playing against your Aigis for example, I should have known better.

Uncle AJ

Sorry for lack of posts - been too busy training! I'm still playing this all the time, not sure about the rest of you guys.

Just got some new recording equipment too so going to be making videos to help other Chie players in the future. I finished the first one today, nothing special, just a tutorial on completing Challenge 30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GqCHlYHWXE

So, if I were to pick this game up tomorrow for the Xbox 360, would there be anyone playing it or would I just be able to play the single player?

Alec

So I'm about to finish P4G and I am wanting to get into P4A...are there any plans to bring it to PSN? I was hoping to not have to buy the disc.

Who else from PersonaGAF is going to EVO?

Sorry for lack of posts - been too busy training! I'm still playing this all the time, not sure about the rest of you guys.

Just got some new recording equipment too so going to be making videos to help other Chie players in the future. I finished the first one today, nothing special, just a tutorial on completing Challenge 30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GqCHlYHWXE

Nice! Make more vids, please! I just got my EVO pass but I'm going to be free as hell.

FluxWaveZ

Yosuke mirrors are nuts. I love it.

Good games! Best moment for me was when less than 10 seconds remained, we had both won a round and we only had a small amount of health left. Pretty intense.

Top Bottom