• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
duwSW.jpg

MAKE IT HAPPEN ATLUS / ARCSYS!

Soooo... I've never played a Persona/SMT game before. I like fighting games a lot and don't mind anime elements as long as the game is fun. Should I stay away since I have no idea what's going on with this game or pick it up since I like fighters?

Thoughts on this matter would be great.

Parakeetman

Soooo... I've never played a Persona/SMT game before. I like fighting games a lot and don't mind anime elements as long as the game is fun. Should I stay away since I have no idea what's going on with this game or pick it up since I like fighters?

If you like fighters / ArcSys games by all means pick it up! Even potentially could lure you into eventually playing through persona 4 in the future lol

Rent it and see what you think? Just watch videos and see if it appeals?
If you've no idea what's going on and just want to play for the fighting mechancis then just skip the cutscenes.

Basically: you know your self best (and I don't mean that in a lazy cop-out way).

If you like fighters / ArcSys games by all means pick it up! Even potentially could lure you into eventually playing through persona 4 in the future lol

I recently bought BlazBlue on a whim to check it out. It's actually very fun and surprisingly deep and easy to do cool combos and stuff. I'm of intermediate skill at best but I still have fun with it. It's the only Arcsys game I've ever played but P4 Arena caught my eye.

Shito

With this game, you're better off being a fighting games fan rather than a Persona fan.
Try it, you'll probably enjoy it!

Parakeetman

I recently bought BlazBlue on a whim to check it out. It's actually very fun and surprisingly deep and easy to do cool combos and stuff. I'm of intermediate skill at best but I still have fun with it. It's the only Arcsys game I've ever played but P4 Arena caught my eye.

Btw if you are the reading type check out this forum. Lots of good info.
http://mayonakamidnight.com/forum.php

One thing for sure is Nanako is going to be making out like a bandit from DLC sales.
aEOu3.jpg

*You know whats in that package? All ur moniez!

Cheddahz

Banned
Only eight more days! This is honestly my second most wanted game of 2012 (Tekken Tag 2 still holds my number one spot). Once I bet RE: ORC, I might actually dive back into Persona 4 to get myself ready

Damn, it looks like the majority of players will be on PS3. I was planning on going with 360 because I have arcade sticks for it.

But should I go with PS3 instead and stick it out with a dual shock 3? Thoughts?

Parakeetman

Although it will never happen, I still demand this!
TzMpo.jpg

Well, I suppose she could crush people.
With all jokes aside, we really do need another more orthodox grab character. Since Kanji is a bit too combo / grab based which I think is why people kinda dont like using him. Though his grab does do an insane amount of damage for a single move.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh, one more question before release. Has anything been said about the differences between the two versions? Any problems on the 360? Only have a stick for that..

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Oh, one more question before release. Has anything been said about the differences between the two versions? Any problems on the 360? Only have a stick for that..

360 has major lag issues that the developers are looking into. Don't know that there's much difference between the versions other than that and things that are safe to assume. 360 version will probably have a smaller community, but better netplay in general once they patch whatever issue is going on now. PS3 will probably have a bigger community and more high-level anime fighter dudes.

Alucrid

Banned
360 has busted online.

360 has major lag issues that the developers are looking into. Don't know that there's much difference between the versions other than that and things that are safe to assume. 360 version will probably have a smaller community, but better netplay in general once they patch whatever issue is going on now. PS3 will probably have a bigger community and more high-level anime fighter dudes.

360 online is messed up but the same thing happened with BB. Should be fine once games out.

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up. I'll probably just stick with 360 if there's a fix incoming, it looks like there's enough SP content to keep me occupied.

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up. I'll probably just stick with 360 if there's a fix incoming, it looks like there's enough SP content to keep me occupied.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'd like to get it on PS3 for the larger community, but I don't have an arcade stick for PS3 and can't afford to get a new $100+ stick for a long while.

Parakeetman

At least a huge plus which will save folks thumbs is that this game doesnt use overly complex motions. Most are either charge moves or QCB / QCF type of commands.

The days of old school SNK fighting games made me sad. Esp trying to do the raging storm.

Saroyan

I'm getting pretty psyched for this game, I'm going to redo the art on my Qanba Q4

I suck at photoshop and this is my first try at doing this, but I think it looks pretty decent.

RoeBear

Went to Gamestop to pay off my preorder and the guy at the counter said they were doing a midnight release. He said a lot of people were wanting it so they are going to stay open till midnight on monday.

Solune

Ugh it can't be worse than MvC3. My freaking left thumb was black and blue until I got a stick.

Lol, some of challenges in BB are far and beyond the ones in MvC3. I know because I've done all of the MvC3 ones and I may never finish some of those BB ones since I can't wrap my head around some characters like Carl.

From the small fraction of what I've seen of P4A's mission mode it doesnt seem too difficult but there's gonna be tricky stuff, especially since all of the characters play completely different.

vocab

Lol, some of challenges in BB are far and beyond the ones in MvC3. I know because I've done all of the MvC3 ones and I may never finish some of those BB ones since I can't wrap my head around some characters like Carl.

From the small fraction of what I've seen of P4A's mission mode it doesnt seem too difficult but there's gonna be tricky stuff, especially since all of the characters play completely different.

BBCS doesn't even ease you into the trial either. I remember doing one of hakumens trials. The easy shit like moves, supers, etc and then the next combo has you doing jump cancels and tking one of his moves into a long ass combo. It was only challange 3. THREE.

fuck that game.

cj_iwakura

BBCS doesn't even ease you into the trial either. I remember doing one of hakumens trials. The easy shit like moves, supers, etc and then the next combo has you doing jump cancels and tking one of his moves into a long ass combo. It was only challange 3. THREE.

fuck that game.

CS EX fixed that a little. The challenges are more spread out.

Tamanon

Banned
Went to Gamestop to pay off my preorder and the guy at the counter said they were doing a midnight release. He said a lot of people were wanting it so they are going to stay open till midnight on monday.

That makes no sense that they'd do a midnight release for P4:A. I love the series, but it can't have that much widespread appeal.

lol baby games

BlackJace

Well, keep in mind I'm not that great at fighters. If this is as accessible as people are saying, I'm gonna put a lot of effort into becoming competitive.

RoeBear

That makes no sense that they'd do a midnight release for P4:A. I love the series, but it can't have that much widespread appeal.

Yea the guy acted like it was just because a lot of the people in the area requested it. So I guess the scene around me is gonna be really into it.

Natiko

Banned
Hopefully the online issue on 360 won't take long to be fixed. I'm not going to go through the hassle of switching my preorder now when it's already fully paid off. Plus I know a couple people getting it on 360 as well.

Hopefully the online issue on 360 won't take long to be fixed. I'm not going to go through the hassle of switching my preorder now when it's already fully paid off. Plus I know a couple people getting it on 360 as well.

I will let you know. As of now, I only have a 360 so ended up getting the 360 version. hopefully it wont be laggy...

Top Bottom