• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Mesoian

Where's that Yotsuba image of her going "No." when I need it... >_>;

nokwkqn.jpg

Sophia

Yeah, I figure as much. I also think this is why Chie works so well since, to an extent that others could better describe, is similarly like this. Chie reminds me of Elena from the Uncharted series in some way... I'm sure I could write a bit more about it after some thought.

What do you think about Chie? I hope they didn't retcon her in P4A.

They didn't retcon her. Although as far as P4 cast is concerned, I'm more fond of Yukiko.

[img ]http://www.abload.de/img/nokwkqn.jpg[/img]

Lovely. Thank you.

PBalfredo

It's all we have.

Yeah that's what happens when there isn't a default name for the character. It's going to be weird for me to have him named anything other than what I named him: Brick Hardbeef. Brick-kun to my friends.

But Mitsuru can call me Hardbeef all she wants.

BlackJace

Yeah that's what happens when there isn't a default name for the character. It's going to be weird for me to have him named anything other than what I named him: Brick Hardbeef. Brick-kun to my friends.

But Mitsuru can call me Hardbeef all she wants.

She's my waifu. No one else's!

jorgeton

So, without spoilers, what do those who have it think of the story mode? How can it sustain 30+ hours of playtime without it becoming incredibly dull? Does it have some kind of level up system?

Sophia

So, without spoilers, what do those who have it think of the story mode? How can it sustain 30+ hours of playtime without it becoming incredibly dull? Does it have some kind of level up system?

30+ hours is being generous. You'd have to be a slow reader to hit that long. However the game's story is insanely good. I personally think it's one of the best stories they've written for a Persona game. There were a few parts in there I was holding back tears on.

The story's length itself is probably equivalent to two 800+ page novels.

jorgeton

30+ hours is being generous. You'd have to be a slow reader to hit that long. However the game's story is insanely good. I personally think it's one of the best stories they've written for a Persona game. There were a few parts in there I was holding back tears on.

The story's length itself is probably equivalent to two 800+ page novels.

Wow. Ok. Good to know!

Every story is different.

Thanks. For some reason I thought the story mode focused on Yu, didn't realize each character had their own branch. Which actually makes more sense.

Sophia

Thanks. For some reason I thought the story mode focused on Yu, didn't realize each character had their own branch. Which actually makes more sense.

Yeah it's weird at first. The story itself plays out like an Arc System Works game, but the actual script was by Atlus. Feels like a hybrid of the two.

Shito

Heh, just had a weird moment in challenge mode. I was trying to clear Akihiko's #20, resetting the challenge every time I missed it by clicking quickly two times on the demonstration button (it basically starts a demonstration and cancels it, reseting your initial position, without any loading or losing any time -- it's really quick and useful). So I was there, doing that for maybe a good 10 minutes now, try, fail, R2R2, try, fail, R2R2, try, fail, R2R2, getting closer and closer to clear it, in the zone, when suddenly I cleared it perfectly! Yeah! Wait... why doesn't it display the "CLEAR" message? Why did it just reset? Oh shit, missed my cancelling of the demonstration mode, I was playing *exactly* like the demonstration and I didn't even realized it was not me playing!
After that I was a bit bummed, but decided to try it one last time, and... I cleared it. Easily.
Might start doing my inputs during the demonstration for the future ones, seems to work quite well! :)

PBalfredo

Yeah it's weird at first. The story itself plays out like an Arc System Works game, but the actual script was by Atlus. Feels like a hybrid of the two.

Does the story stay coherent when playing through each character's story? I remember playing BlazBlue and the story of that game went to bananaland in record time. Things were contridicting each other, everything was out of order, then suddenly split timelines and multiverse!

Sophia

Does the story stay coherent when playing through each character's story? I remember playing BlazBlue and the story of that game went to bananaland in record time. Things were contridicting each other, everything was out of order, then suddenly split timelines and multiverse!

It's largely coherent. Some details change depending on who you're playing as, such as who fights the final boss, but it's otherwise consistent. No stupid stuff like split timelines or multiverses or anything.

Yeah, I would replace the word "emo" with "douchey". He:

• ran with hands in his pockets
  • had very poor posture
  • had terrible fashion sense
  • wore Col. Sander's necktie
  • wore his pants like Steve Urkel

He had a great fashion sense (everyone in P3 dressed better than P4, even that dork Ken) and that laissez-faire aura was soo dreamy. Minato is the greatest Persona character ever. He's only not in this game because if he was they'd have to change it to "Persona Arena: Minato vs Scrubs"

omgkitty

I'm sure someone has asked this, but does anyone else who is terrible at fighting games buying this? I love the series, but I am pretty bad at fighting games / actively despise them for their difficulty. Trying to decide if this game is worth it.

Sophia

I'm sure someone has asked this, but does anyone else who is terrible at fighting games buying this? I love the series, but I am pretty bad at fighting games / actively despise them for their difficulty. Trying to decide if this game is worth it.

You can always bump the difficulty down for story mode, and the game has a pretty extensive tutorial. It's also one of the easier fighting games to get into.

Yeah, me. Probably after a month or so. I bought MvC2 just for the cast and it was pretty fun, but I could never beat it.

alstein

Who could hate ArcSys?

They make great technical fighters.

They also make games that have aspects that don't appeal to a lot of traditional SF players.

That said, Persona doesn't seem to have super-long combos and loops, so I'm thinking this might be the first Arc game I like. It looks like what I like about Arc minus the things I don't like.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
He had a great fashion sense (everyone in P3 dressed better than P4, even that dork Ken) and that laissez-faire aura was soo dreamy. Minato is the greatest Persona character ever. He's only not in this game because if he was they'd have to change it to "Persona Arena: Minato vs Scrubs"

Damn right. *puts on sunglasses* Main: Minato Sub: Akihiko.

Instead of Main: Akihiko Sub: wishing for more of the P3 cast or P2 cast instead of anyone on the P4 cast because fuck the Mystery Machine team.

Raxious

I'm horrible at fighting games, the only times I played them was during work against people who actually knew how to play. I did however find out how to spam Hadouken :p

Shito

That said, Persona doesn't seem to have super-long combos and loops, so I'm thinking this might be the first Arc game I like. It looks like what I like about Arc minus the things I don't like.
Yeah, I wasn't much into GG/BB, partly because of those never-ending combos, but for the moment I'm reeeeaally liking P4A. To me it seems to sit in-between SF and Marvel, gameplay-wise, but then again this is something I was already saying about SFxT...

omgkitty said:
You can try getting it, but don't pump yourself too much about it: it is really a fighting game at its core. It's true the entry bar is a little bit lower than more recent ones, but it's still a "true game", and if you're not willing to invest yourself into it (learning combos, spacing, setups and such) you'll only get so much fun out of mashing this A button.

vocab

Who could hate ArcSys?

They make great technical fighters.

I hated Blazblue CS. Felt like shit, played like shit. So I have my doubts about this game, but i'm willing to play it. If it feels like shit to play and awkward as hell, it's getting sold really quick.

SerRodrik

Oh aye. I'm here entirely because of Persona. I've barely played fighting games before this.

I'm so hyped for this game...that I don't even give a shit about Kingdom Hearts tomorrow...lol.

I'm hyped to be free...again....just like every fighting game.

Top Bottom