• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Stark

Banned
Probably the boorus

Bingo. :D

Here go an eye cleanser.

1076461-p4___nanako_to_by_kobakoba.png

Much better. <3

Onemic

Does the Persona 4 anime completely ruin the story of the Persona 4 game? I just finished the second episode and I'm assuming that everything that happens is taken directly from the game(which would explain some of the nonsensicalness of certain plot points) I'm currently playing persona 3 and would like to play 4 after, but I feel like I would have less incentive to if the P4 story is completely told by the anime, at the same time I need to watch it lest I be confused to hell by P4A's story mode. (Since I can't finish P4 the game in 8 days)

So they are scared of reverse importing?
Pretty much. You might scoff at the $60 price point for half the series, but in Japan good luck getting one of the 2 episode DVD sets for much less than $80. Anime prices (and entertainment on discs in general) in Japan are ludicrous.

Infinite

Does the Persona 4 anime completely ruin the story of the Persona 4 game? I just finished the second episode and I'm assuming that everything that happens is taken directly from the game(which would explain some of the nonsensicalness of certain plot points) I'm currently playing persona 3 and would like to play 4 after, but I feel like I would have less incentive to if the P4 story is completely told by the anime, at the same time I need to watch it lest I be confused to hell by P4A's story mode. (Since I can't finish P4 the game in 8 days)

This has been asked and answered multiple times. Yes it does.

SerRodrik

Yup, it's pretty much a straight adaptation. Hits all the main story beats (and I would argue in most instances it's not done quite as effectively as in the game). But as you said, there's no way to finish P4 in a week. You could get P4A and only play the arcade and versus modes until you can play P4, maybe?

Esura

Banned
Pretty much. You might scoff at the $60 price point for half the series, but in Japan good luck getting one of the 2 episode DVD sets for much less than $80. Anime prices (and entertainment on discs in general) in Japan are ludicrous.

When I was checking out some import sites it made me realize how freaking good we got it as far as anime prices are concerned. Before then, I though I lost my mind after buying the complete first season of K-ON! from Bandai, which were in 4 separate volumes for about 30 bucks a pop (cept for one, which was 10 bucks for some reason on Amazon).

The only reason I don't want to get it yet is because I hate buying one part then having to wait for the other. So I wont buy them until the second part is released as I like to complete anime in one go.

Yup, it's pretty much a straight adaptation. Hits all the main story beats (and I would argue in most instances it's not done quite as effectively as in the game). But as you said, there's no way to finish P4 in a week. You could get P4A and only play the arcade and versus modes until you can play P4, maybe?

I finished P4 in two weeks. :p

Felt much longer but it was only two weeks when I think about it.

Onemic

Is there enough of a disconnect to still make the game worth playing after?

I could just play arcade mode though, I'm torn, especially since I've already started watching the anime :/

Which is why Gundam Unicorn BRDs run $60 MSRP for one 90 minute episode. So it's a bummer about the P4 BRDs, but apparently all parties involved are not underestimating the popularity of the Persona 3/4 franchise.

SerRodrik

Is there enough of a disconnect to still make the game worth playing after?

I could just play arcade mode though, I'm torn, especially since I've already started watching the anime :/

Well, there's still the game's true ending, which hasn't been adapted by the anime yet, so there's still something for the game. And a lot of the side material, such as the s links, is compressed by the anime, so there'd still be that to see. I'm actually not sure what I'd do.

Geneijin

Well, there's still the game's true ending, which hasn't been adapted by the anime yet, so there's still something for the game. And a lot of the side material, such as the s links, is compressed by the anime, so there'd still be that to see. I'm actually not sure what I'd do.
Nope. Sold separately.

Deitus

Man, I can't believe Amazon doesn't offer release day shipping anymore. It's like they don't want my business.

I originally ordered it on Amazon anyway, because I didn't think anyone else offered the preorder CD except for Gamestop (and wasn't about to start shopping there again if I could help it). Luckily I found out that Newegg also has the CD in time to cancel my Amazon order. It's only free 3 day shipping, but its far better than the 7-10 business day (or therabouts, I forget the exact number) shipping Amazon was offering. I do hope Amazon reverses this recent change, because it would be a shame to have to go back to buying games at brick and mortar stores.

Anyway, I'm not really a fighting game fan, but I'm super excited for this game. I can't even decide who I'm going to use. I guess I'll have to play them all.

Man, I can't believe Amazon doesn't offer release day shipping anymore. It's like they don't want my business.

I originally ordered it on Amazon anyway, because I didn't think anyone else offered the preorder CD except for Gamestop (and wasn't about to start shopping there again if I could help it). Luckily I found out that Newegg also has the CD in time to cancel my Amazon order. It's only free 3 day shipping, but its far better than the 7-10 business day (or therabouts, I forget the exact number) shipping Amazon was offering. I do hope Amazon reverses this recent change, because it would be a shame to have to go back to buying games at brick and mortar stores.

Anyway, I'm not really a fighting game fan, but I'm super excited for this game. I can't even decide who I'm going to use. I guess I'll have to play them all.

Amazon generally only offer RDD on big games. P4A isn't a big game comapred to Halo, GOW, COD and etc.

Also you missed the Newegg preorder coupon to get the game for 47.99 before tax. Lastly from many reports if you live close to the warehouses (Socal, NJ and TN) you get it same day or day after.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Amazon generally only offer RDD on big games. P4A isn't a big game comapred to Halo, GOW, COD and etc.

Also you missed the Newegg preorder coupon to get the game for 47.99 before tax. Lastly from many reports if you live close to the warehouses (Socal, NJ and TN) you get it same day or day after.

They usually offered it on every title. I was able to get Devil Survivor 2 with RDD, I wouldn't really call that a "big title" in most circles.

They also don't have RDD for Halo 4 or Borderlands 2 anymore, which are AAA titles.

I am totally getting the game on release day from Amazon.

I don't think they call it that anymore as I got two day shipping to the delivery date is the 7th.

Better yet I order Kingdom Hearts 3ds with two day shipping and still got it today.

Geneijin

If you preordered early enough like a few months ago for P4A, they did. They stopped RDD for P4A strangely in the last month or two.

has it ordered with RDD

I am totally getting the game on release day from Amazon.

I don't think they call it that anymore as I got two day shipping to the delivery date is the 7th.

Better yet I order Kingdom Hearts 3ds with two day shipping and still got it today.
I think those with Prime membership get free RDD. That's why.

Release-Date Delivery Charges
Shipping charges for Release-Date Delivery vary by item and are displayed on the order confirmation page after you select Release-Date Delivery as your shipping option. If you're an Amazon Prime member, Release-Date Delivery is free when selecting Two-Day shipping.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Confirmed that not all GSes are doing midnight launches. Only one in Broward County is.

Still on the fence.

Where did you check this out at?

I'm probably not going to take the day off but it would be nice to know that it's there on my way to work on Tues/Wednesday depending on when UPS hits the Gamestop...

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Im conflicted about this game. I love me some Persona but I'm not a big fan of fighting games. I'd like to support a persona game on the 360 but I'm not sure if I'll actually play it because of how terrible I am at these kind of gamed.

Im conflicted about this game. I love me some Persona but I'm not a big fan of fighting games. I'd like to support a persona game on the 360 but I'm not sure if I'll actually play it because of how terrible I am at these kind of gamed.

From the high praise I'm hearing about this game's story mode I think it's worth it. It's apparently got a lot more story than fighting.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

If you really are concerned and dont mind waiting a long while wait for a sale, then just go through the story mode. Since I can assure you being an owner that its not only well written, but really do not need to be good at fighting games to enjoy it. Since the fights that do appear in the story mode are just 1 round deals. Plus you can always set the game to easy.

As a fan of the series, the story mode more than enough makes up for it in my own opinion.

Sophia

Yeah if you're interested in the story, go for it. Just set it to easy and enjoy yourself. Maybe you'll change your opinion on fighting games too, but if not, you still got an amazing story.

Tomat

I'll keep an eye on it and make a decision in the next few days. My big issue with fighters is the barrier of entry/learning curve. Takes a lot of practice to get good at them in multiplayer.

Definitely interested in the story but I completely forgot I haven't finished Persona 4 yet :S

I know P4A is a sequel so can anyone here who has played the JP version of P4A comment on how spoilery it is for P4?

Ken

I'm buying two copies plus the one copy I have already so even if you don't buy it you will support it in spirit. :D

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'll keep an eye on it and make a decision in the next few days. My big issue with fighters is the barrier of entry/learning curve. Takes a lot of practice to get good at them in multiplayer.

Definitely interested in the story but I completely forgot I haven't finished Persona 4 yet :S

I know P4A is a sequel so can anyone here who has played the JP version of P4A comment on how spoilery it is for P4?

It can and will spoil things for P4 if you have not beaten it. So Id suggest you get cracking lol Plus the story isnt as enjoyable without all of the knowledge from P4.

Tomat

I'm buying two copies plus the one copy I have already so even if you don't buy it you will support it in spirit. :D
Haha, thanks :p
It can and will spoil things for P4 if you have not beaten it. So Id suggest you get cracking lol Plus the story isnt as enjoyable without all of the knowledge from P4.
Damn, that much story is impressive for a fighting game. I think I'll hold off till I finish P4 then. Thanks for the info everyone.

Sophia

P4A is really easy to get into for a fighting game, and there's an exceptional tutorial, and it does spoil a good chunk (but not everything) regarding Persona 4, so I'd at least watch the anime before you play. Ideally, play the game.

alstein

This is why the Japanese need to make this flop. Ultimately, it's up to the Japanese to vote with their wallets.

cj_iwakura

Which one in Broward County? Might go if it's close to me.

Atlantic/441, where the Walmart/Quizno's is.

Not one in Coral Springs, believe me I checked, I live there. :(

@TheSeks: just asked a local employee, he said they weren't and only knew one that was.

Tomat

Pretty sure I'm going to pick this up next week. Just read about the systems on MM. A lot of the stuff I don't really get that much but I like how the game handles personas and the status effects. I really like how each character has their own special system/gauge too.

I hope the game ends up having good balance and netcode. Will be getting the 360 version, GT is t0mat03. No clue who I will play yet.

SUPARSTARX

Pretty sure I'm going to pick this up next week. Just read about the systems on MM. A lot of the stuff I don't really get that much but I like how the game handles personas and the status effects. I really like how each character has their own special system/gauge too.

I hope the game ends up having good balance and netcode. Will be getting the 360 version, GT is t0mat03. No clue who I will play yet.

What dontcha get about the system?

What dontcha get about the system?

I'll chime in with things that I want to know:
  • Can training mode show hitboxes?
  • Do all characters have air-throws? Do they tech?
  • How many types of jumps does this game have?
  • What's the damage difference between auto and manual combo?
  • Any moves that cause BURST to increase faster?
  • Which moves are cancel-able?

SUPARSTARX

I'll chime in with things that I want to know:
  • Can training mode show hitboxes?
  • Do all characters have air-throws? Do they tech?
  • How many types of jumps does this game have?
  • What's the damage difference between auto and manual combo?
  • Any moves that cause BURST to increase faster?
  • Which moves are cancel-able?

1. Training mode doesn't. But it has frame advantage meter ala Skullgirls. Hit boxes are on Dustloop wiki, people datamined them.
2. Yes and yes.
3. Everyone has double jumps, super jumps, mini-jumps and to air turn you hit A+C, then tap your direction back to jump back if I'm not mistaken.
4. Autocombos are weak. To put in perspective, I was playing some dudes trying to get a feel for this game, they mostly hit AAAAA combos on me that do like maybe up to 2k with Super moves combined. I did regular BnB's on them with just Special move enders and they dealt about 2-3k. Trying to learn those phat 4k+ stuff :D
5. Not sure what can increase burst. I didn't pay much attention to it. I think it fills up at the same rate on offense and defense. Maybe I will try to see if it's any faster in some videos. I felt that if I used the burst in the first round I can almost always get it back by the end of second round. But definitely can get it back in the third if it comes down to it. It's critical sometimes.
6. Everyone has different cancelable moves. Normals, persona attacks, you'll see characters use their personas to lock down people and then they'll dash out during the block stun and pressure. Some have jump cancels mid air too.

Hope that covers some base. I love this game and I'm a Capcom type of guy too. This game just feels really good.

And help me RT this, thx

https://twitter.com/SUPARSTARX/status/230532156835897344

lWICH.png

Say hello to your new god.
Goddess** of whiff punishes.

aceface

Oh shit, it has an amazing story? Man I thought I could safely ignore this game cause I am horrible at fighting games. Is it one overarching story, or does each character has their own story mode?

Top Bottom