• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Okizeme is mixups you run while your opponent is waking up. If you're familiar with SF4 and it's lingo the term Vortex implies the same thing.

An example in this game is Narukami ending his combo with a sweep and then using his D persona attack while you're knockdown. The attack creates an opportunity for him to do whatever he wants while you're trying to get up.

Granted that I only really know SF, the corners in this game look brutal as hell.

SUPARSTARX

So has anyone found a spot in nyc that is going to sell the game early?
I'm hitting up VGNY Friday. Thursday would be a far fetch but Friday is plausible.
Initial D in China town, 8bit and up and Next Level all may sell this game early.
Where is ID and 8 Bit?
I thought ID closed and 8bit and nl wont have it early.
NL won't have it early. Their distributors are douche bags.
J&L closed down unless I'm getting the stores mixed up
I swear Jnl is still open. I went passed it for dim sum the other week.

Infinite

I'm hitting up VGNY Friday. Thursday would be a far fetch but Friday is plausible.

Where is ID and 8 Bit?

NL won't have it early. Their distributors are douche bags.
I swear Jnl is still open. I went passed it for dim sum the other week.

Ok I AM confusing them then, sorry. Initial D used to be in Elizabeth center but it got closed down. 8bit and Up is right on saint marks place.

SUPARSTARX

Granted that I only really know SF, the corners in this game look brutal as hell.
Coming from sf games, in here blocking high is the new down-back lol. I got hit by so many highs and random unblockable, i had trouble adjusting to some stuff but hit confirming is really important here too.

People air dash so much and some heights are so deceptive that they either do a high or land so quick that they mix up with a low. That chie video shows a lot of hers.

SUPARSTARX

Ok I AM confusing them then, sorry. Initial D used to be in Elizabeth center but it got closed down. 8bit and Up is right on saint marks place.
Ahh the basement store. I've never seen them carry games early. Ok I know what 8 Bit is now. That's the retro game shop near VGNY.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just payed off my pre-order; all aboard the hype train.

This is probably the first fighting game I'm actively looking forward to since I'm a fan of the series. Gotta go finish up P4 in the meantime.

Onemic

slightly OT, but what does Catherine have to do with the Tensei series, other than being developed by Atlus? I hear people talk about it like it's part of the series when it doesn't even bear the name.

Snakeyes

slightly OT, but what does Catherine have to do with the Tensei series, other than being developed by Atlus? I hear people talk about it like it's part of the series when it doesn't even bear the name.

They have nothing in common besides a Vincent cameo in P3P.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I so want to try a hitbox, but I doubt hitbox will send out a custom hitbox to try before you buy. :( Edited a few buttons in MAME to try on a few fighting games and it feels good but not totally perfect. I gotta get a less cramped keyboard and some space to try it on...

Motifs in the periphery as far as I can tell.

In Persona 5, Catherine had better
be the model for the succubi
damn it :)

Beckx

It's the same universe but that's about it.

On a related note, right now I'm playing both Devil Survivor Overclocked and P3P - how does the Devil Survivor series fit into the universe?

Fighting games, they make my head spin. It's gonna take a while to learn all this stuff.

I think you just simplify the bursts as:

Blue - Defense - get out of combos.

Gold - Offense- anticipating that an opponent is going to press buttons. This would blow though that on block/whiff?

One more - Combos/ Offense - Making punishable moves safe to trick the opponent. Being able to combo into things you normally wouldn't be able to.

TheSeks

There's no reason to believe they're not. They're both just versions of the real world.

That's like saying Biohazard and Street Fighter are related because they're both versions of the "real world."

Nich works at Atlus, he would probably know. :D

According to google, he's also a known racist. Clearly his rage at my skin color is influencing his better judgement.

That's like saying Biohazard and Street Fighter are related because they're both versions of the "real world."
When you're right, you're right.

BkPmA.jpg

Oh look at that! An SMT character, too!

I don't think it is. Seta has burst, he could've probably burst as soon as he broke/right-side-up'ed in the air.

Yeah, you basically burst that shit or you're fucked.

TheSeks

God's Beard trollin' Atlus.

Also I get your point, but no: Catherine isn't related to SMT. It has SMT-like vibes, but isn't in the same "universe" outside of the P3P cameo of Vincent.

SerRodrik

Okizeme is mixups you run while your opponent is waking up.

And wake up is...getting up after you've been knocked down, right?

If you're familiar with SF4 and it's lingo the term Vortex implies the same thing.

Not even a little.

A bunch of helpful stuff.

Thanks, that's pretty in depth, and I think I understood most of it. You started losing me a little bit in the last paragraph because I have no idea how to tell when an opponent is going to DP, but I suspect that's the kind of thing I'd learn by just playing the game a bunch? I've actually seen some of that video before, but without someone to explain why what I'm seeing is important the way you did, I don't really get anything out of it.

Also I can't pull off jumps and air dashes that quickly or accurately, the timing is all fucked. Is that another case of just practicing a whole bunch?

Snakeyes

Thanks, that's pretty in depth, and I think I understood most of it. You started losing me a little bit in the last paragraph because I have no idea how to tell when an opponent is going to DP, but I suspect that's the kind of thing I'd learn by just playing the game a bunch?

You just need to learn to predict your opponent (easier said than done I know). For example, if you notice that he has a tendency to try a DP out of your blockstrings, you can stop in the middle of one of them and block. The opponent's blocked DP leaves him open for a counterattack.

Top Bottom