• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh shit, it has an amazing story? Man I thought I could safely ignore this game cause I am horrible at fighting games. Is it one overarching story, or does each character has their own story mode?

Yeah, you could set it to easy and just enjoy the story.

1. Training mode doesn't. But it has frame advantage meter ala Skullgirls. Hit boxes are on Dustloop wiki, people datamined them.
2. Yes and yes.
3. Everyone has double jumps, super jumps, mini-jumps and to air turn you hit A+C, then tap your direction back to jump back if I'm not mistaken.
4. Autocombos are weak. To put in perspective, I was playing some dudes trying to get a feel for this game, they mostly hit AAAAA combos on me that do like maybe up to 2k with Super moves combined. I did regular BnB's on them with just Special move enders and they dealt about 2-3k. Trying to learn those phat 4k+ stuff :D
5. Not sure what can increase burst. I didn't pay much attention to it. I think it fills up at the same rate on offense and defense. Maybe I will try to see if it's any faster in some videos. I felt that if I used the burst in the first round I can almost always get it back by the end of second round. But definitely can get it back in the third if it comes down to it. It's critical sometimes.
6. Everyone has different cancelable moves. Normals, persona attacks, you'll see characters use their personas to lock down people and then they'll dash out during the block stun and pressure. Some have jump cancels mid air too.

Hope that covers some base. I love this game and I'm a Capcom type of guy too. This game just feels really good.

And help me RT this, thx

https://twitter.com/SUPARSTARX/status/230532156835897344

Goddess** of whiff punishes.

iirc the AAAAAA combos give you burst meter.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm coming from a Street Fighter background so this should be a nice learning curve.

Oh, and uppercuts are just two button moves in the game. Kaching

DP's are just hitting like B+D at 5 something? Does everybody have the same DP or do some characters got a crazy Tiger Knee Burnkick kind of thing?

What is burst exactly?

A blast of energy comes out of your character and knocks the opponent back about 1/3 screen - good for defending against combos but you can only use it when the BURST meter is full.

Hex

Banned
lWICH.png

Say hello to your new god.

She is my number two, if Liz does not work out for me.
Gives me Charlotte flash backs

Onemic

DP's are just hitting like B+D at 5 something? Does everybody have the same DP or do some characters got a crazy Tiger Knee Burnkick kind of thing?

A blast of energy comes out of your character and knocks the opponent back about 1/3 screen - good for defending against combos but you can only use it when the BURST meter is full.

So you can use it when someone is hitting you mid combo?

RS4-

So you can use it when someone is hitting you mid combo?

Yeah, it's like a "combo breaker" to an extent. There are some things you can't burst out of, like supers, throws or multi throw stuff like Kanji's follow-ups after a command grab.

I'm not 100% if there are actual combos where you can't burst out of though.

For example: say you were getting hit by the AAAAA, I believe you can burst before the second hit even lands (provided that the opponent was timing his combo properly); but you can also get baited into wasting your burst if he stops attacking, giving him time to block your burst, then punish.

SUPARSTARX

Not all B+D's are made the same. Chie's is a counter while others function more like regular Shoryuken's for Yu and Mitsuru. They're universal Reversal moves.

You can't burst out of Supers.. Yosuke's tornado thing comes to mind. You can't burst Instant Kill's obviously. You can burst for very specific combos in the corner because they get blasted away and it's not techable I believe. Someone figured out Chie's lvl 30 trial which is to use three God Fist supers at once. A burst was used in between haha.

edit: fixed

Not all B+D's are made the same. Chie's is a counter while others function more like regular Shoryuken's for Yu and Mitsuru. They're universal Reversal moves.

You can't burst out of cinematic type of SUpers.. Yosuke's tornado thing comes to mind. You can't burst Instant Kill's obviously. You can burst for very specific combos in the corner because they get blasted away and it's not techable I believe. Someone figured out Chie's lvl 30 trial which is to use three God Fist supers at once. A burst was used in between haha.

Ok cool, now the real question: Who has divekicks? :p

Infinite

What is burst exactly?

BURST is a one of your meters which allows you to do one of 3 things:
  • Blue Burst is an attack that you can do when you BURST meter is filled. While you're being attacked you can use this attack to essentially combo break at the cost of all your BURST meter.
  • Gold Burst uses a third of your meter to knock the opponent back and build your SP Meter to 100%. You can't use a gold burst while you're in hit stun.
  • One More Burst uses all of your BURST meter to essentially cancel one of your attacks completely. When your opponent is hit by a one more burst it sends the flying straight into the air and your damage is upscale for all subsequent attacks. You can only use this while you're on the offensive by canceling an attack.

In the version 1.02 patch they nerfed the meter gain that auto combos give you.

Cheddahz

Banned
I went to Gamestop with my lady friend yesterday to pick up Kingdom Hearts 3D and I asked about my pre-order of Persona 4 Arena, it turns out I'm the only one in my town that pre-ordered it!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I went to Gamestop with my lady friend yesterday to pick up Kingdom Hearts 3D and I asked about my pre-order of Persona 4 Arena, it turns out I'm the only one in my town that pre-ordered it!

You better make sure they hold a midnight release just for you.

• Blue Burst is an attack that you can do when you BURST meter is filled. While you're being attacked you can use this attack to essentially combo break at the cost of all your BURST meter.
  • Gold Burst uses a third of your meter to knock the opponent back and build your SP Meter to 100%. You can't use a gold burst while you're in hit stun.
  • One More Burst uses all of your BURST meter to essentially cancel one of your attacks completely. When your opponent is hit by a one more burst it sends the flying straight into the air and your damage is upscale for all subsequent attacks. You can only use this while you're on the offensive by canceling an attack.

Hell yes, this is a good write-up.

SerRodrik

Fighting games, they make my head spin. It's gonna take a while to learn all this stuff.

Fighting games, they make my head spin. It's gonna take a while to learn all this stuff.

It looks overwhelming compared to a system like Street Fighter, but its really not bad at all. You'll get the hang of it with a little dedication and practice. The cool thing about ASW fighting games is the personal flair you can throw into combos with a little creativity. Making your own swag combos is so much fun. Just take it one chunk at a time, ask questions, play some fellow gaffers, and you'll have it in no time!

SUPARSTARX

The game will make a lot of sense after you play around with it. Auto combos will you confidence to continue learning lol

In other news, P4U sold 117k on PS3 and 9k on Xbox the first week in Japan. Xbox should jump back up a bit after they patch the online.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The game will make a lot of sense after you play around with it. Auto combos will you confidence to continue learning lol

In other news, P4U sold 117k on PS3 and 9k on Xbox the first week in Japan. Xbox should jump back up a bit after they patch the online.

Hope so, I'd like to see a decent sized community on XBL. I've got Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for the 360 and I think a whopping 4 people play that online, so I really shouldn't complain.

The numbers I saw were 128k PS3 which puts this game shoulder to shoulder with some bigger fighting titles this generation. Go Atlus!

Infinite

Yes I understand, information overload is a problem when you're trying to learn a fighting game. You should focus on actually moving your character and use autocombo when you're starting. Movement is the important thing to master in any fighting game.

Might get both version once I get an xbox.

Yes I understand, information overload is a problem when you're trying to learn a fighting game. You should focus on actually moving your character and use autocombo when you're starting. Movement is the important thing to master in any fighting game.

Might get both version once I get an xbox.

I'm more of a tinkerer myself, I'll play training mode for 48 hours before anything else, mwhahahah!

SUPARSTARX

Yeah the numbers are pretty good. Comparatively speaking other major titles only have good sales numbers to show after a three to five week mark.

SerRodrik

It looks overwhelming compared to a system like Street Fighter, but its really not bad at all. You'll get the hang of it with a little dedication and practice. The cool thing about ASW fighting games is the personal flair you can throw into combos with a little creativity. Making your own swag combos is so much fun. Just take it one chunk at a time, ask questions, play some fellow gaffers, and you'll have it in no time!

In a weird way, I know so little about fighting game theory that I don't even know which questions to ask.

I know really basic mechanics stuff like canceling, mixups, hitstun and such (basically anything explained in the Skullgirls tutorials), but anything beyond that sounds like gibberish. Even the stuff that I know, I don't really know how to apply it. I understand mixups on a basic level, and I've done the sample mixups from the Skullgirls tutorial, but I don't feel like I grasp it enough to construct it on my own, or use it effectively on the fly. I don't know why I should use it as opposed to any of my other options. Is that the kind of stuff that you just have to practice and use it until you understand it intuitively?

Basically, I have no idea where to even start. Listening to people talk about fighting games reminds me of listening to people speak in Spanish. I only recognize every tenth word and have no context for how anything fits together.

Infinite

In a weird way, I know so little about fighting game theory that I don't even know which questions to ask.

I know really basic mechanics stuff like canceling, mixups, hitstun and such (basically anything explained in the Skullgirls tutorials), but anything beyond that sounds like gibberish. Even the stuff that I know, I don't really know how to apply it. I understand mixups on a basic level, and I've done the sample mixups from the Skullgirls tutorial, but I don't feel like I grasp it enough to construct it on my own, or use it effectively on the fly. I don't know why I should use it as opposed to any of my other options. Is that the kind of stuff that you just have to practice and use it until you understand it intuitively?

Basically, I have no idea where to even start. Listening to people talk about fighting games reminds me of listening to people speak in Spanish. I only recognize every tenth word and have no context for how anything fits together.

Since you know about basic universal FG stuff you ask about the movement options a particular game offers and where those things can be applied.

Kind of. For me, that all comes with playing other people and learning from them and watching videos. ASW has pretty great tutorials, too. I know the latest Blazblue had a really great walkthrough that told why and when to use every aspect of the fighting system. Like I said, just take it one chunk at a time.

Alot of these concepts have come from years and years of playing fighting games. I have been playing fighting games on a regular basis since SF Alpha days, so I'm familiar with alot of these concepts and some things and ideas come naturally to me. What works for me is playing with a group of people regularly and bouncing ideas off them. Idk what system you are getting this for, but I'm sure there will be a group of people willing to learn with you or help you learn on either system!

Onemic

I wonder if the blazblue community will be barren once P4A comes out, especially considering that extend came out only a few months ago.

SerRodrik

Kind of. For me, that all comes with playing other people and learning from them and watching videos. ASW has pretty great tutorials, too. I know the latest Blazblue had a really great walkthrough that told why and when to use every aspect of the fighting system. Like I said, just take it one chunk at a time.

Alot of these concepts have come from years and years of playing fighting games. I have been playing fighting games on a regular basis since SF Alpha days, so I'm familiar with alot of these concepts and some things and ideas come naturally to me. What works for me is playing with a group of people regularly and bouncing ideas off them. Idk what system you are getting this for, but I'm sure there will be a group of people willing to learn with you or help you learn on either system!

I'm getting it for PS3, so it's looking like there will be a fair number of people to work with.

Also, can anyone explain okizeme? I read a vague definition somewhere, but I'm not sure I got it. And I seem to keep hearing about it in relation to playing Chie, so I should probably know a little more about it.

Infinite

I'm getting it for PS3, so it's looking like there will be a fair number of people to work with.

Also, can anyone explain okizeme? I read a vague definition somewhere, but I'm not sure I got it. And I seem to keep hearing about it in relation to playing Chie, so I should probably know a little more about it.

Okizeme is mixups you run while your opponent is waking up. If you're familiar with SF4 and it's lingo the term Vortex implies the same thing.

An example in this game is Narukami ending his combo with a sweep and then using his D persona attack while you're knockdown. The attack creates an opportunity for him to do whatever he wants while you're trying to get up.

OceanBlue

Even the stuff that I know, I don't really know how to apply it. I understand mixups on a basic level, and I've done the sample mixups from the Skullgirls tutorial, but I don't feel like I grasp it enough to construct it on my own, or use it effectively on the fly. I don't know why I should use it as opposed to any of my other options.

It helps to tackle things piece-by-piece until you understand everything. With mixups, for example, you say you know what mixups are. Basically, from that point on, you need to understand when you're seeing someone do a mixup, what situation they're in that allows them to do a mixup, and why they're going for a particular mixup. All of this takes time to completely understand, and some parts you won't understand until you understand other things like frame advantage and the different "zones" of a game (full-screen, close-up, and poke range).

I'm not the best fighting game player, but I'll explain mixups as well as I can. Mixups are basically what players do to bypass an opponent's defense. Generally, it means making them block the wrong way through the use of overheads, crossups (moving to the other side so they're holding forward), throws, etc. You want to do them because you want to open up your opponent so you can do a combo, because in the end the objective is to have more life than your opponent. That's why you'd use a mixup.

This is a good video which has a lot of Chie setups using Tomoe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho6KS2qOEB4

There are some important things to note. Generally, mixups need you to be at some form of advantage against your opponent because a lot of the ways you apply mixups are generally slow. For example, in the video Chie does a knockdown after a combo and sets up Tomoe to force your opponent to block. While the opponent is blocking, Chie does an air-dash into either a j.B or a 2A, which is a high-low mixup. The reason you want to set up Tomoe is shown in the beginning of the video. If you just try to do it when your opponent is sitting on the other side of the screen or when the opponent can do things, he can just hit you out of the air for a counter-hit or jump away. By setting up Tomoe properly, the opponent can't attack or jump without getting hit by Tomoe. That allows Chie to do whatever she wants for brief moment, and Chie takes that chance to mixup the opponent.

I said before that mixups are used to break your opponent's defense. This really only works if your opponent is blocking in the first place. In that case, there are some cases where you don't want to go for mixups. Mostly, it's when you think your opponent is going to do a DP/R-Action, because the invincibility on the DP will beat your mixup and hit you. You can still find ways to trick your opponent into thinking that you're going to do a mixup, but will leave you blocking if your opponent does do a DP. Knowing when your opponent will or will not DP has to do with understanding who you're playing. A more passive player will be more reluctant to DP. Some players only DP at certain times, like when they're at low life or after a certain combo/setup. Becoming accustomed to picking up on things like this is just experience.

I probably forgot a bunch of stuff, but I'm just brain-dumping right now.

B00TE

Yeah, really good to see! Going to buy the PS3 version now, and the 360 version at some later date. Going to commit myself to playing online.

PSN: Social_Link_Go

I'll be one of four people using the account, as my friends and I often do round-robin style public or ranked matches. Helps keep the salt down when there's at least one other person able to point out what went wrong and joke about it.

Regarding the unlock requirements for navigators,
According to Mayonaka Midnight, you unlock Nanako by clearing arcade mode on hell difficulty with all characters, but from what I've seen from Japanese wikis, that might not be true? http://w.livedoor.jp/p4u_matome/d/%b1%a3%a4%b7%cd%d7%c1%c7 says 「アーケードモードを難易度HELLで全キャラクリア」など、アーケードモード関連はというのはガセ。 which I'm pretty sure means "clear arcade mode on hell mode with all characters is not true".

Top Bottom