• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

As someone once told me, sticks can be used for alot more than just fighters.

Correct. Can be used on shump's / Shoot 'em ups, platformers and even some racing games.

So I want to Personafy the art on my SF4 TE stick but I'm not sure where to start. Any advice? I've never done anything with the stick so it looks like it was straight out the box.

You'll find templates, examples and ideas at the link provided.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...imageboard-instructions-on-first-page.137307/

OceanBlue

My point is sort of that I don't know how to begin doing that because I don't understand the underlying mechanics of fighting games, I guess, which is why I keep asking dumb questions.

I think you're overthinking it. Just worry about getting comfortable with fighting games first and learning things piece-by-piece. If there's something specific you aren't getting, ask. As for "underlying mechanics", you don't really have to be completely familiar with all of them when you're learning. It becomes a lot easier to understand what people are talking about when they talk about mechanics if you have enough experience to match theory and concepts with things you've actually done.

Edit: Video tutorials help too. I only know of Street Fighter ones though because that's how I learned...

SerRodrik

I think you're overthinking it. Just worry about getting comfortable with fighting games first and learning things piece-by-piece. If there's something specific you aren't getting, ask. As for "underlying mechanics", you don't really have to be completely familiar with all of them when you're learning. It becomes a lot easier to understand what people are talking about when they talk about mechanics if you have enough experience to match theory and concepts with things you've actually done.

I would not be surprised. It's just really easy to become confused when you hear the sheer volume of jargon that people that really know fighting games throw around. It makes everything sound really complicated and impenetrable. I'll probably just start trying stuff out once I get my hands on the game and see how things play out, and then see what I still need help understanding.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I would not be surprised. It's just really easy to become confused when you hear the sheer volume of jargon that people that really know fighting games throw around. It makes everything sound really complicated and impenetrable. I'll probably just start trying stuff out once I get my hands on the game and see how things play out, and then see what I still need help understanding.

Just play and look at the manual, faq, in game command list and have fun. Thats about all the real advice one can give. Ignore all of the jargon and shit from the hardcore crowd. Since they play on a whole different level from the average user, not that its a bad thing mind you. :D

Lots of videos too which will help you see how moves outside of whats normally shown off in the "Challenge Mode" link together and what not.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

You're really overthinking it.

Footises: Spacing moves. Think "PPPPPPPPP" (er-in P4U's case ABBBBBBBBB) but with the intention to not hit but keep the opponent evenly spaced/hit-stun them to "hit-confirm" into a combo.

Wake-up: When put on the ground, you're choices of "waking-up"/getting off the floor are various: attack, don't attack, move around to get up. Opponent has to guess which option you're doing to make a hit while you're waking up.

Otherwise don't worry about the other nitty-gritty jargon, they aren't needed.

Parakeetman

Might be falling off the face of the earth for a while as DQX comes out in 12 minutes in my town lol.

Guess will have time to get my ass handed to me further in P4U during updates!

Ken

Correct. Can be used on shump's / Shoot 'em ups, platformers and even some racing games.

You'll find templates, examples and ideas at the link provided.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...imageboard-instructions-on-first-page.137307/

Thanks. Seems kind of too technical for my hands. Oh well, first I need to find or make art for the stick. @_@

Parakeetman

Thanks. Seems kind of too technical for my hands. Oh well, first I need to find or make art for the stick. @_@

Making art seems to be quite easy, since like the vid shows its just fitting the pic onto the faceplate template. Unless you mean a total custom job as in you photoshopping various resources together yourself.

Ken

Making art seems to be quite easy, since like the vid shows its just fitting the pic onto the faceplate template. Unless you mean a total custom job as in you photoshopping various resources together yourself.

I mean designing or finding artwork I like for more than 5 minutes.

Hex

Banned
If you took out all the interesting battle mechanics from smt games, all the interesting demon mechanics, stripped the personality from all the characters and set them in a soulless world, what you're left with is digital devil saga.

So...tell us how you really feel, where it all began
SbGTQ.gif

Sophia

With the momentum this game has going, they're almost certainly going to follow up on it. It's not even really questionable.

I think (possible spoilers) this picture explains pretty well how the SMT games are connected.
It's still (mostly) based on theories, but fascinating nonetheless.

Oh nice. Someone updated this to include the PS2 Devil Summoner games. They form the perfect missing link for stopping the ICBMs from launching.

The previous diagram just left it as an unexplained event or the actions of the player character.

Scratch

Why wouldn't Atlus to make a sequel to an incredibly popular game made by a company that's paying them licensing fees?

Let me rephrase that. Yes they should and probably will make a sequel. but how arc sys does it, ala GG and BB, is really just sloppy. I'd rather have a polished sequel then 3 iterations in the next year

Curufinwe

My HORI Xbox 360 Soulcalibur V Arcade Stick is finally about to ship from Amazon. And they have them back in stock at $99.99 if anyone's interested. The PS3 version is only being sold by resellers now at $140 and up.

kewlmyc

With the momentum this game has going, they're almost certainly going to follow up on it. It's not even really questionable.

I just don't see how they can do it story wise, unless it's just a retread featuring additional characters ala Continuum Shift II.

Let me rephrase that. Yes they should and probably will make a sequel. but how arc sys does it, ala GG and BB, is really just sloppy. I'd rather have a polished sequel then 3 iterations in the next year

That's be cool, but isn't their system for making characters incredibly slow? I heard it takes them months to pump out a single one. If they can turn up the pace, I'd love a sequel with 6-8 new characters.

cj_iwakura

Great to see it's making bank. Hopefully the US release follows suit.

Raidou and Hitoshura expansion more likely every day! :D

Parakeetman

My guess would be at least 1 new character if they port the game to the vita.

Which you would think they will do, since folks who bought the vita for P4G would consider checking out the fighting game due to hearing about how the story mode is well done.

cj_iwakura

It's heavily implied in Persona 2 that
Chief Todoroki is being possessed by Kyoji Kuzunoha, a la the protagonist of the first Devil Summoner game.

This is new. Genuinely curious about some supporting evidence?

I knew he was a summoner, but yikes.

Snakeyes

I just don't see how they can do it story wise, unless it's just a retread featuring additional characters ala Continuum Shift II.

They could do some kind of side story where Yukari and Junpei are investigating a Shadow-related event in another area, possibly with a cameo from a main P5 character.

cj_iwakura

It's not even the same universe, any more than Breath of Fire is the same universe as Street Fighter because it has a Chun Li cameo.

What about (Catherine mega spoilers)
Astaroth, fricking Nergal and Demi-Vincent? A stretch, but hey.

They could do some kind of side story where Yukari and Junpei are investigating a Shadow-related event in another area, possibly with a cameo from a main P5 character.

All you have to say is "rumors about demons" and BAM, whole Persona 2 cast in the background.

Ulala Serizawa
Maya Amano
Katsuya Suou
Baofu

C'mon son.

NichM

Banned
What about (Catherine mega spoilers)
Astaroth, fricking Nergal and Demi-Vincent? A stretch, but hey.

The fact that demons are in the world does not make it an SMT game. It's not an SMT game. I fully expect you to ignore this, but it isn't.

Parakeetman

I dunno, did the region-lock outrage damage the momentum a bit?
GAF seemed enraged.

Considering the game is coming out very soon (for the US anyways) I think most people forgot about it. Though new shift in rage or partial is towards the decision with the BR version of the anime it seems.

Sophia

I dunno, did the region-lock outrage damage the momentum a bit?
GAF seemed enraged.

Sure as hell didn't damage first day sales. The region lock situation is pretty shitty for our European friends however. :(

The fact that demons are in the world does not make it an SMT game. It's not an SMT game. I fully expect you to ignore this, but it isn't.

I'm printscreening this post with spoilers just to forever mock you in a friendly manner if you happen to be wrong. :p

BlackJace

Sure as hell didn't damage first day sales. The region lock situation is pretty shitty for our European friends however. :(
I hope the Sept. 7th rumors are true.

Considering the game is coming out very soon (for the US anyways) I think most people forgot about it. Though new shift in rage or partial is towards the decision with the BR version of the anime it seems.
Now that I am pissed at. An anime without Japanese dub is ridiculous. Sigh..still gonna get because I need an anime collection going, and of course, my love for Persona.

Scratch

That's be cool, but isn't their system for making characters incredibly slow? I heard it takes them months to pump out a single one. If they can turn up the pace, I'd love a sequel with 6-8 new characters.

Now that's a sequel! Continuum shift was 3 new characters :(

CS Extend was what CS should've been. But I have faith in atlus and arc sys. They're honestly a match made in heaven

Top Bottom