• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

I have no idea what language I'm going to put the voices in...I just finished running through the anime in 2 days and the Japanese voices fit the characters and were amazing. The English dub is good too so damn. What are you guys going to use?

There are magic series/gatling/revolver chains for your characters, but the better combos require links with pretty tight timings, especially if they involve personas. For example, one of Elizabeth's challenges requires you to do 5C (a double slash from Thanatos) followed by 2C (Thanatos charges up then releases a small shockwave around him), and finally into 214B (Mabufudyne). I found it was pretty impossible to combo into the 2C and Mabufudyne if I waited to see the previous attack hit before I input the next command, instead I had to finish executing the commands at the moment I expect the previous attack to land.
An interesting point to note is that you can input the One More Cancel command a few frames before the attack actually makes contact and the game will still register the command when it's valid. Also, persona attacks are sometimes not cancellable in the middle of their animation. For example, Labrys' jumping C attack has her persona create some spiky wheels at her location doing around 3 hits, you can't cancel that attack into her 214 special until the animation is completed. You might be able to One More Cancel that, but some attacks can't get One More Cancelled at all, like the aforementioned 5C by Thanatos. Well, the first slash can't be One More Cancelled, but the second can (which is pretty pointless since you can already act freely after that).
In addition, a special move might not be cancellable ordinarily, but if you use the boosted version it may allow you to cancel into other attacks in the middle of the animation (e.g. Elizabeth can only cancel Maragidyne into Mind Charge if she used the boosted version).

Ok, most of this is completely over my head. I'm just going to have to learn it myself because this doesn't sound too similar to fighting games I've played before which either had links or dial a combo.

I must admit, that's one thing games like Killer Instinct and MK3 did a good job of. It made 10 year olds like myself(when I played them) feel so bad ass for doing these long ass combos. I though SF combos would be easy after that, boy was I wrong though.

I have no idea what language I'm going to put the voices in...I just finished running through the anime in 2 days and the Japanese voices fit the characters and were amazing. The English dub is good too so damn. What are you guys going to use?

On a related note, is it possible to set specific characters to ENG/JAP VAs, like in SF4? Or do you have to go all one or the other?

(And on a completely unrelated note, I just clicked on God's Beard's tag out of curiosity. Quite a read. :O)

SUPARSTARX

Ok, most of this is completely over my head. I'm just going to have to learn it myself because this doesn't sound too similar to fighting games I've played before which either had links or dial a combo.

I must admit, that's one thing games like Killer Instinct and MK3 did a good job of. It made 10 year olds like myself(when I played them) feel so bad ass for doing these long ass combos. I though SF combos would be easy after that, boy was I wrong though.

Basically there are chains and very few command normals in this game. They are not all necessarily dial combos where you can push them in and they come out automatically. People can just mash those type of auto combos out but you still need to coordinate anyhow.

There are dash cancelable Persona attacks (C & D) that help keep hit stun on so you can continue combos. Those are the most rewarding ones. Some B's can chain into C or D, and you can dash cancel those to continue pressure or link combos.

The game has a hit stun meter feature in matches. You can see the blue bar flickering right under the hit counter.

vocab

I'm officially gonna get BB guyz. I'm committing a terrible sin.

Hopefully you like it more than I did.

Unsure. I never had a problem with the dubs with atlus games in all honesty. I usually like my SF games in Japanese because I love the Japanese voices in capcom games (jojo's especially).

I think if you have no plan on playing the P4 game, the Japanese voices will probably be the best.

vocab

So....is the game more or less technically complex than Blazblue/Guilty Gear?

The word is that it is easier to get into. Not a baby game though.

I love that short hop is so much easier to do consistently in this game as opposed to KOF. I'm gonna be short hop happy for a long time till I get punished hard for it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
On a related note, is it possible to set specific characters to ENG/JAP VAs, like in SF4? Or do you have to go all one or the other?

(And on a completely unrelated note, I just clicked on God's Beard's tag out of curiosity. Quite a read. :O)

Its one or the other

Onemic

It's one or the other in SF4. Unless I've been lied to this entire time.

Shito

It's the same thing, really; basically what this means is "as usual for an Aksys game the buffer is quite lenient, but it doesn't mean there aren't combos that require tight links". Not necessarily 1 frame links like in SF4, but tight timing nonetheless. For example, comboing Mitsuru's 5A from her throw when in the corner is something to get used to, and using her 4/5/6B in combos is not that easy given the fact that you can charge then by mistake if your input is not straight on point (and thus delay their timing, and miss your combo window).
Anyways, to sum it up, the entry bar is not as high as other fighting games, but it's not to say that they aren't difficult combos or such.

Infinite said:
But I'm fully aware that it was originally a glitch but didn't they intentionally leave it in SSF4 and intentionally put it in SfxT thus making it no longer glitch?
It irks me every time I read someone telling that plinking comes from a "glitch": it does not. It's not a bug nor a glitch, just the way the engine works. We made good use of it, and Capcom has no reason patching it since it works the way it was intended to.

If I main Makoto in Blazblue, Akihiko is the character I should probably look at first, yes?

Wat. Whenever I go into sound options it always just lets me choose JP or ENG, wheres the custom option?

In SF4? As soon as you beat arcade as any character for the first time, you can change every character individually.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It irks me every time I read someone telling that plinking comes from a "glitch": it does not. It's not a bug nor a glitch, just the way the engine works. We made good use of it, and Capcom has no reason patching it since it works the way it was intended to.

It's an unintentional effect of the lenient input system. Nothing more.

Giolon

Without having played P4 (I plan to get the Vita version), how badly will I be spoiled on that game's story and events if I play this one first?

Nah, not really. Aegis is her own weird thing. Her powered up mode is kinda like playing a marvel character though. Well at least in terms of speed and high low mix ups. Her high low is literally almost so fast you have to guess it. Its one of the reasons she's top.
Well...

Looks like I'm gonna be looking for a character with solid AA, jabs and maybe even the magical DP.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really want to play and experience this game, but I don't really like this style of fighting game.

Add to the fact that I'll have to pay an extra 15 dollars shipping (as I live overseas), buying this now is just not viable.

I really hope it doesn't disappear from the market. I'll track a marked down copy in a couple months, along with Asura's Wrath (still hella expensive) and Catherine.

zlatko

Banned
Well if that's what you like sure. I think Yosuke has far better mobility.

He sure does. Damage isn't important, but mobility/mix up game is the characters I initially gravitate towards to.

My favorite character in UMVC3 is Nova, so I look for characters like him.

vocab

He sure does. Damage isn't important, but mobility/mix up game is the characters I initially gravitate towards to.

My favorite character in UMVC3 is Nova, so I look for characters like him.

Ya same here. I like nova a lot. At first glance I like Akihiko a little bit more simply because I like boxer characters (except steve in SFXT ugh). At least on the surface he seems a bit more rush down heavy than Yosuke. However, it comes down to feel in the end. I'll try out everyone.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Without having played P4 (I plan to get the Vita version), how badly will I be spoiled on that game's story and events if I play this one first?

I seriously do not suggest playing story mode unless you have gone through at least P4. That and a lot of things wont make sense anyways, including the little jokes that appear here and there.

At least there is arcade mode to go through if you just want it as a fighting game.

zlatko

Banned
Ya same here. I like nova a lot. At first glance I like Akihiko a little bit more simply because I like boxer characters (except steve in SFXT ugh). At least on the surface he seems a bit more rush down heavy than Yosuke. However, it comes down to feel in the end. I'll try out everyone.

Ditto. Akihiko is the only other character I thought of maining.

One of them is bound to click with me.

Shaffield

I seriously do not suggest playing story mode unless you have gone through at least P4. That and a lot of things wont make sense anyways, including the little jokes that appear here and there.

At least there is arcade mode to go through if you just want it as a fighting game.

So how much would I be missing if I've played 4 but not 3? I know some stuff about 3 already (including some serious spoilers) but haven't had a chance to get into it yet.

I see that there is nothing but QCR motions in this...

I think I'll play pad.

DAT ONE HUNDRED THIRTY UNITED STATES DOLLARS DOWN THE DRAIN.

Top Bottom