• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Ignore the keymappings themselves and go more by the placement of the actions. Weak is next to Weak Persona, both above strong / Strong persona.

mm8.png

What buttons you actually map the 4 to is down to whatever your stick's button layout is. This also makes it going between stick and pad more intuitive if you expect to play on pad quite a bit as well (i.e. only have 1 stick but expect a lot of players trading controllers as people lose).
I realize I'm likely in the minority, but it seems to me that the SNK layout makes more sense for this game than the 2x2 grid layout. Hitting D looks uncomfortable, don't you think? I'd much rather not have to move my hand and play this like KoF.

Soma

man the Giantbomb quicklook got me excited for the game. shame i won't be playing it anytime soon.

Naoto looks really fun to play with.

ibe4AVMJRz39IZ.gif

Soma

I hate Chie's character design, but I love her play style. I am torn.

That's unfortunate. She's always been my favorite character design in the game other than Naoto.

She does look really fun though.

ibdKIDcz1E1z58.gif

Despite me not being able to play this for the moment (no system to play it on) at least it's helping me getting the hang of making gifs!

Look at your numpad.

5 is neutral on a stick.

963 are facing right up/mid/down respectively.

741 are back/block up/mid/down, respectively

82 are jump/duck, respectively.

5B means simply press B and link into 4 (backwards)+A to continue the combo.

I hate this number system, who the hell think this is easy to read. much prefer using the F(forward), D(down), B(back), and U(up) annotation, and call motion with annotation like qcf(quarter circle forward), qcb, hcf etc.

Esura

Banned
Fun fact: that's also Mitsuru's!

I find it more amusing that she's the wife of both Yosuke and the P3 Protagonist. :p

Say what now?

themoreyouknow.gif

Easily. One of the most annoying cast members in the Scooby Gang.

I also hate Lisa Silverman

Chie AND Lisa? Oh snap.....

Well different strokes for different blokes I guess. I liked Chie a lot until I played FES and got introduced to Aigis.

Skilletor

I hate this number system, who the hell think this is easy to read. much prefer using the F(forward), D(down), B(back), and U(up) annotation, and call motion with annotation like qcf(quarter circle forward), qcb, hcf etc.

What happens when I have to hit back + b?
Down + d?

It's easier. I find people who dislike it just hate that it's different from Capcom/snk.

What happens when I have to hit back + b?

oh well, you got me there, I'm usually called the attack button with number from 1 to 4.

in persona case you can replace the attack button A,B,C,D with 1,2,3,4. so back + b will be shorted b2. at least you only have 4 number to remember rather than 9 number.

Noi

I mentioned in my last post that I'd be neat to borrow the player spreadsheet from MarvelGAF and I've had pretty crappy internet for the past few days, so with nothing much to do, I went and made one using the current names on the Community section.

PersonaGAF

I know cj hasn't quite updated that section yet, but it's a start!

All the gifs being posted make me wish it was the 7th already...

Skilletor

oh well, you got me there, I'm usually called the attack button with number from 1 to 4.

in persona case you can replace the attack button A,B,C,D with 1,2,3,4. so back + b will be shorted b2. at least you only have 4 number to remember rather than 9 number.

I guess it's not a thing for me. I learned it way back for sc2. It's the notation used for ever ASW fighter, and other anime games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I realize I'm likely in the minority, but it seems to me that the SNK layout makes more sense for this game than the 2x2 grid layout. Hitting D looks uncomfortable, don't you think? I'd much rather not have to move my hand and play this like KoF.

I was able to get used to 2x2 back with Capcom vs SNK, so I think I'll be fine.

cj_iwakura

Not so fast, Steak Army.

eliz3-1.jpg

The OGs ain't having that.

eliz2.jpg

The Arcana is the means through which all is revealed, and ours is Death.

eliz4.png

Don't neglect the Velvet Attendants, or...

Well, best you think positively.

aceface

They claim 30 hours or so. If you're a fast reader, I'd say 20.

Going through all characters Id have to say at least 10 hours. If you read / listen to everything and not skip stuff. Though some stories are shorter since some parts will overlap which can be skipped if wanted. Such as the main 4 starting characters story. Yu, Chie, Yukiko, Yosuke.

Wow, that's quite a lot. Might actually have to buy this. Sucks, I have no money, heh.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wow, that's quite a lot. Might actually have to buy this. Sucks, I have no money, heh.

If you are a fan of P3/P4 the story really is well done and worthy of being an addition to the series. Since the story takes place 2 months after the events in P4, during golden week where Yu is coming back to the town to visit everyone while on vacation.

If you are a fan of P3/P4 the story really is well done and worthy of being an addition to the series. Since the story takes place 2 months after the events in P4, during golden week where Yu is coming back to the town to visit everyone while on vacation.

It also has Rumor Loving Female Student, so you know shit just got real :)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's funny how anytime I listen to the P3 OST my buyer's remorse for this game goes away.

BlackJace

Not so fast, Steak Army.

eliz3-1.jpg

The OGs ain't having that.

eliz2.jpg

The Arcana is the means through which all is revealed, and ours is Death.

eliz4.png

Don't neglect the Velvet Attendants, or...

Well, best you think positively.

I kinda had a shitty day today, this post makes me feel 1000x better :D

OceanBlue

It's funny how anytime I listen to the P3 OST my buyer's remorse for this game goes away.

You don't need to play on the same level of hardcore players who grind training mode for hours a day to have fun. I had fun with Brood War without ever playing anything outside of UMS.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You don't need to play on the same level of hardcore players who grind training mode for hours a day to have fun. I had fun with Brood War without ever playing anything outside of UMS.

I'm going to be playing multiplayer for sure. So as long as I can get SOME wins under my belt everything should be okay. I don't think I have ever won a public/ranked game against a random player in a fighting game. I say this having bought every SF4, and BB on the 360.

Ken

I'm going to be playing multiplayer for sure. So as long as I can get SOME wins under my belt everything should be okay. I don't think I have ever won a public/ranked game against a random player in a fighting game. I say this having bought every SF4, and BB on the 360.

Keep playing until you find a Blanka who just sits in a corner doing that electricity move then do an ultra combo with invincible start up at the last second.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It's a lot easier to "visualize" the stick movement with the numpad system (since it's assumed you're facing right) as opposed to the QCF/QCB/HCF/HCB systems.

You can annotate 236A+B~B->214A ... -> 5B.

As opposed to QCFA+B~B link into QCBA ... stick neutralB.

(Also just look at that and try to process what I just said because QCF/QCB blends with the ABCD/LMHS/whatever non-SF LP/MP/HP/LK/MK/HK systems)

Infinite

It's a lot easier to "visualize" the stick movement with the numpad system (since it's assumed you're facing right) as opposed to the QCF/QCB/HCF/HCB systems.

You can annotate 236A+B~B->214A ... -> 5B.

As opposed to QCFA+B~B link into QCBA ... stick neutralB.

(Also just look at that and try to process what I just said because QCF/QCB blends with the ABCD/LMHS/whatever non-SF LP/MP/HP/LK/MK/HK systems)

Pretty much. Also it eliminates language barriers which is the biggest reason why numeric notation is used.

cj_iwakura

Bad news y'all, OP is overfilled. :( Never had that happen before...

I guess I could move community to one of my later posts on Page 1.
Alternatively, we.are.the.armada. has first post, if he wants to take up the mantle.

I don't want to be lost with the P3 characters storyline wise so I think I'm going to trying to finish P3 this weekend. Can someone tell me how much more hours I have from this point? SPOILERS FOR P3 here.
Last thing I remember was ending the dark hour or whatever its called and some new student joining class that Aiges has a bad feeling about. I really hope Im not more than 10 hours away from the end. Also do I need to beat The Answer not to be lost?

cj_iwakura

I don't want to be lost with the P3 characters storyline wise so I think I'm going to trying to finish P3 this weekend. Can someone tell me how much more hours I have from this point? SPOILERS FOR P3 here.
Last thing I remember was ending the dark hour or whatever its called and some new student joining class that Aiges has a bad feeling about. I really hope Im not more than 10 hours away from the end. Also do I need to beat The Answer not to be lost?

You're coming up to the endgame area.

Also, The Answer has relevance to Elizabeth's story.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

You're about 10-20 hours away. About 1-3 game-months left.

Also no, you don't need to beat the Answer to play this but it fills out P3's ending more. I'd suggest attempting it to see if you want to beat it, if not... (SMH while I type this since I think people should beat it on their own) there's ... youtube.

Top Bottom