• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

GooeyHeat

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

How do you do DP motions though?

R-Actions! B+D, depending on the character, is either a reversal/DP kind of move or a counter. It's sort of like a Focus Attack, though, in that it burns a bit of health that heals back over time.

Infinite

1343950532157.jpg

RS4-

The word is that it is easier to get into. Not a baby game though.

I love that short hop is so much easier to do consistently in this game as opposed to KOF. I'm gonna be short hop happy for a long time till I get punished hard for it.

A quick note about the short hop or those that have their AB overhead actually jump...you can get grabbed.

I don't know if it was just certain instances or what, but I've been normal/command grabbed while I'm in the air.

I'll have to test it again later.

vocab

What is the 5B>2A etc signify? The amount of times you hit the button or is it directional movement?

Direction of the stick, like this!

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Examples
2A = Down A
5B = Neutral B
6C= Forward C
etc

So nasty!

Let's call Chie's BnB's SnS. It doesn't stand for salad :)

I'm going to be writing the notation of those SnS' down so that I have some material to work from on day one :3

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
A lot of hours in training mode.

I think that's an incredibly boring part of fighting games. May pass this up after all.

I like that I can pick up just about any other genre out there and just get into it without spending hours fighting against lifeless AI.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What is the 5B>2A etc signify? The amount of times you hit the button or is it directional movement?

Look at your numpad.

5 is neutral on a stick.

963 are facing right up/mid/down respectively.

741 are back/block up/mid/down, respectively

82 are jump/duck, respectively.

5B means simply press B and link into 4 (backwards)+A to continue the combo.

dan2026

I have to say I'm not all that impressed by the animation in this game.

Seems kinda stiff as if there is not that many frames.

BlackJace

I think that's an incredibly boring part of fighting games. May pass this up after all.

I like that I can pick up just about any other genre out there and just get into it without spending hours fighting against lifeless AI.

Fighting games always seem daunting at first, but anyone who's mastered any can tell you that it is a very rewarding experience once things start to gel.

Like fighting IRL, you gotta practice :p

Curufinwe

For this stick, should I remap the buttons or is the default setup OK?

Soul-Calibur-V-HORI-Joystick-Xbox-442x332.jpg

From the GB Quick Look the default seems to be:

X: Weak
A: Strong

Y: W. Persona
B: S. Persona

Infinite

Fighting games always seem daunting at first, but like anyone who's mastered any can tell you that it is a very rewarding experience once things start to gel.

Like fighting IRL, you gotta practice :p
Like anything really. Wanna get good at guitar? Gotta play the chords bro.

Tomat

I don't think the default setup would be comfortable with the arrangement of ABXY on the stick. Go with whatever is comfortable for you.

Like anything really. Wanna get good at guitar? Gotta play the chords bro.
The barrier of entry is much, much higher for the fighting genre than most other genres.

Sophia

I wouldn't let that combo video dissuade you. It's listed as "Beginners" but it's misleading, as no actual beginner should be looking at (or care about) a combo video in the first place.

Pretty much all of those combos are impractical for a beginner versus a real player anyhow, and shouldn't be attempted til you've got the basic flow of the game (Movement, Mashups, Zoning, etc) down and can win a few matches. =P

The barrier of entry is much, much higher for the fighting genre than most other genres.

This I do agree with. It doesn't absolutely help that Capcom is absolutely terrible at adding new fans to the genre. I won't even get started on King of Fighters... Luckily, P4A has an awesome tutorial.

Curufinwe

I don't think the default setup would be comfortable with the arrangement of ABXY on the stick. Go with whatever is comfortable for you.

Yeah, it seems like I would want weak and strong attacks on X and Y, but I will experiment and see what works for me.

Tomat

Yeah, it seems like I would want weak and strong attacks on X and Y, but I will experiment and see what works for me.

Try going with the first three top buttons and the leftmost button on the bottom. That's my suggestion.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Ignore the keymappings themselves and go more by the placement of the actions. Weak is next to Weak Persona, both above strong / Strong persona.

mm8.png

What buttons you actually map the 4 to is down to whatever your stick's button layout is. This also makes it going between stick and pad more intuitive if you expect to play on pad quite a bit as well (i.e. only have 1 stick but expect a lot of players trading controllers as people lose).

cj_iwakura

And yeah, I'm a couple pages behind on the community section, I'll update soon.

Bad news So Fla: false claims on the 441/Atlantic store having midnight pickup. Gonna have to get it during the day on Tuesday. :(
(Unless Walmart gets it I suppose... worked for Catherine!)

Curufinwe

Thanks. It's my first arcade stick and first fighter since Soul Calibur 2, so I know I've got a lot of hours of practice and trying stuff ahead of me.

That layout looks similar to the one on my stick. In that case, you should probably change it to:
B: Weak
X: Weak Persona
LT: Strong Person

That way it's accurate to the arcade. Still, if you feel more comfortable with some other config then go for that one.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Got so tempted again after seeing the GB quicklook despite still being weirded out/immensely bummed by chie/teddy voices.

This will sound like blasphemy to people who are into fighters but I wish there was a easy operation/idiots only mode where moves didn't use quarter/half circles. In MK I could pull off whatever move I wanted at any time but would still get beat by good players online. It is a big reason why I was able to remember moves and enjoy the story while still having fun getting my ass kicked online. Fighting games with circular movements I might as well be trying to play with my toes.

Esura

Banned
"So this is what humans call... a slam?

Such an intimidating display of skill. Designed not only to score a 'point' but also to dishearten one's opponent and amaze witnesses.

How marvelous!"

I approve of this post. Sounds like something Elizabeth would say too, lol.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How long is the story mode in this game?

Going through all characters Id have to say at least 10 hours. If you read / listen to everything and not skip stuff. Though some stories are shorter since some parts will overlap which can be skipped if wanted. Such as the main 4 starting characters story. Yu, Chie, Yukiko, Yosuke.

Top Bottom