• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Marvel is easy, unless you think he is talking about MvC2 or something.

Then my statement still stands and no, high level marvel is not "easy". Low level to medium play maybe.

It all depends on the characters you pick. Some require really high execution to hold ground at high level play.

Esura

Banned
Marvel is not "easy"

I consider it harder than AE

I despise links with a passion so I already consider AE and pretty much any fighter reliant on links to be hard as nails.

Then my statement still stands and no, high level marvel is not "easy". Low level to medium play maybe.

It all depends on the characters you pick. Some require really high execution to hold ground at high level play.

High level play for many fighters aren't easy. I don't think he was talking about high level play, just in general. In general, Marvel 3 is possibly the easiest fighter to get into execution wise....well second to Brawl maybe.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I despise links with a passion so I already consider AE and pretty much any fighter reliant on links to be hard as nails.

Do anyone still play MvC2 with UMvC3 out now?

But sf4 isn't that hard, it's links are not even that bad sf4 is more of a chess type game than execution.

Yes mvc2 high level is harder than umvc3? But who cares the game is stale ass compared to it at this point.

Marvel is in no way easy. The easiest fighting games I've played are the soul caliber series.
Nah, high level SC is eventually harder faster versions of SF3 done in 3d. It feels easy as fuck at low levels cause of how the game flows and how high the damage and how heavy the block stun can be on some stuff, but once parrys come into play it changes completely

High level play for many fighters aren't easy. I don't think he was talking about high level play, just in general. In general, Marvel 3 is possibly the easiest fighter to get into execution wise....well second to Brawl maybe.

ABC combos in marvel.... I don't really count for execution barrier. Marvel is so much about mobility that it's part of the execution barrier. Persona is a very easy game on almost all acounts for most of the characters, is that a bad thing? Nope not at all. The game then becomes more about set ups and the actual fight than trying to pull off your proper combos and such.

Esura

Banned
But sf4 isn't that hard, it's links are not even that bad sf4 is more of a chess type game than execution.

Yes mvc2 high level is harder than umvc3? But who cares the game is stale ass compared to it at this point.

I just hate doing links in general.

I just didn't find MvC3/UMvC3 to be hard at all which is why I love it in the first place.

SF4 links are seriously not that hard, even the 1 framers. If you put the time into practicing these links(if you wanted to that is), I think you would find it kind of easy. I actually consider myself to have bad execution, but I can hit 2 frame links all day, even 1 frame links. The only links that I and most people stay away from are the ones that take place after a move with a lot of active frames. Like Ryu's F+HP into cr. HP link or Fei Long's HK chicken wing into st. HP link. Those are a bitch and you'll see most of the guys main'ing them not even attempt those links. But they'll go for the 1 frame sweep links that both characters have(or had in Fei Long's case) and they almost always hit them, even the average players.

About Persona 4 though, I actually don't know how combos work in this game. Is it chains, or is everything like a 5 frame link or something else?

Even chicken wing into clHP is baby game easy compared to shit you had to do in old games. Dudley lift combos, bbhood dash infinites, crouch cancels in jojo's, etc.

TWILT

Banned
Links in SSF4 are super tough for me. Maybe it's just me not practicing enough...

Yeah, I was just talking about in general. I actually think that high level play for Marvel 3 is legit tough and there are some characters (Magneto, MODOK, constantly doing Soul Fists with Morrigan, etc.) that are legit hard to play as. I just think that doing some basic BnB ABCS combos not hard to do at all is all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They are tough for me too.

And me. The timing is soooo funky, and it's indicator being a "flash" on the health bar was not intuitive or useful in the heat of battle.

FSLink

Banned
And me. The timing is soooo funky, and it's indicator being a "flash" on the health bar was not intuitive or useful in the heat of battle.

Well that's probably why you're messing up, I thought the flash was debunked as an indicator, it was just a normal flash.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well that's probably why you're messing up, I thought the flash was debunked as an indicator, it was just a normal flash.

No, it's a timing indicator of the 1-frame links. It reaches the end is when the link is supposed to happen. But generally you're focusing on the action/non-healthbar to where getting the timing down outside of spending thousands of hours in practice mode (Which is borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring) is damn near impossible.

That little movement bar along with the flash is what I mean by "the flash" that bad moves from left-to-right and as it hits the timer/KO bar limit is when the link for a move is supposed to happen in general.

Solune

There are many links in Marvel, that's how attacks are combined to form a combo when they aren't cancelled or chained... Frame data doesn't magically convert from game to game.
No, it's a timing indicator of the 1-frame links. It reaches the end is when the link is supposed to happen. But generally you're focusing on the action/non-healthbar to where getting the timing down outside of spending thousands of hours in practice mode (Which is borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring) is damn near impossible.

That little movement bar along with the flash is what I mean by "the flash" that bad moves from left-to-right and as it hits the timer/KO bar limit is when the link for a move is supposed to happen in general.
There is absolutely no need to look at the health indicator in order to time your link, you should be determining when to press your attack judging by the movement of your character. I've never spent more than a 1000 hours on SF4 but I can hit 2-frame links all day and 1-frame links about 50% of the time without plinking like Rice-Eater. You are definitely overexaggerating the execution barrier in SF4.

vocab

LOLOL what, that flash doesnt mean shit

Oh man I remember reading that back in 09. I'm like MAN I KNOW HOW TO PLAY THIS GAME. Ran back to my stick, and was like FUCKING LIARS.

Paying attention to the animations of your moves recovery is much more important anyway for links, especially for hitconfirms. Unless your a player that says fuck it, I'm doing it every time no matter if they block or not.

SUPARSTARX

Tried to weasel in some games at Big Two. One setup and like four to six people hovering over it to take turns. Finally got a setup to myself after the finals and played some more.

I can't waaaaaaaaaiiiiitt.

Next week will be madness.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Uh... no? Plinking gets rid of half the timing required for links in the first place, no one that seriously plays looks at flashing lifebar crap and Im pretty sure that was PROVEN false. It's about muscle memory, and if it takes you 1000 hours to get muscle memory down then =/ play a more basic character. I was able to pick up some of seth's sakura and adons links in less than a day on pad. It's not that hard and that's with not plinking I actually just found out what that was a few months ago LOL

Oh man I remember reading that back in 09. I'm like MAN I KNOW HOW TO PLAY THIS GAME. Ran back to my stick, and was like FUCKING LIARS.

Paying attention to the animations of your moves recovery is much more important anyway for links, especially for hitconfirms. Unless your a player that says fuck it, I'm doing it every time no matter if they block or not.
Hahaha I went straight into training mode and tested it for an hour straight. Was pure bullshit

Alfredo

The way I judge difficulty in a fighting game (or any game, really) is by how much you have to look up online to actually understand how it all works. So it basically comes down to if the in-game tutorials are worth a damn.

I can't really play Street Fighter for the life of me, because the closest that they have to tutorials in those games are the trials, and they just give you a list of moves to do. It doesn't tell you what the timing is, or anything like that. So I find most fighting games pretty difficult.

daica_

Neo Member
anyone else having issues with this game's display scaling?

"type a" scaling stretches out too wide, especially at the bottom where i cant even see the bottom button instructions.

but when i change it to "type b /or c" i get black bars around the whole thing.

Shito

Yup, scaling is weird.
I use "type B", if I remember well, which only puts tiny black vertical bars on the edges.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Has anyone uploaded pics of what all the DLC color sets look like? Wondering if I should bother getting a Japanese PSN card to get them all.

anyone else having issues with this game's display scaling?

"type a" scaling stretches out too wide, especially at the bottom where i cant even see the bottom button instructions.

but when i change it to "type b /or c" i get black bars around the whole thing.

Seems to depend on the TV/monitor. On my TV I have to use type B to get the whole picture, but on my smaller monitor, have to change it back to type A.

Seems to depend on the TV/monitor. On my TV I have to use type B to get the whole picture, but on my smaller monitor, have to change it back to type A.

I'm worried that this is going to look like overbloated garbage on my set up (this is what I've got in my game room). Can we change the size of the UI? I might opt for playing it at smaller screen real-estate if I can increase the UI size and see the text/numbers.

The way I judge difficulty in a fighting game (or any game, really) is by how much you have to look up online to actually understand how it all works. So it basically comes down to if the in-game tutorials are worth a damn.

I can't really play Street Fighter for the life of me, because the closest that they have to tutorials in those games are the trials, and they just give you a list of moves to do. It doesn't tell you what the timing is, or anything like that. So I find most fighting games pretty difficult.

Virtua Fighter 5 was so easy to transition to thanks to VF4:Evo's tutorial.

Esura

Banned
There are many links in Marvel, that's how attacks are combined to form a combo when they aren't cancelled or chained... Frame data doesn't magically convert from game to game.

I know what links are and I know that they are some in Marvel (particularly Dante's stuff). But mostly everything I did in Marvel 3 were cancels and magic series chains and that sufficed for me.

Esura

Banned
Do you ever combo after an air throw?

Nope. When I read this I was going to say yeah but then I realized that was an OTG I did with X-23 and Wesker on vanilla MvC3.

I assume that is a link as well correct?

Btw, plinking isn't an option for me since I don't use stick anymore.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nope. When I read this I was going to say yeah but then I realized that was an OTG I did with X-23 and Wesker on vanilla MvC3.

I assume that is a link as well correct?

Btw, plinking isn't an option for me since I don't use stick anymore.

You don't plink in marvel.

Infinite

Yeah it is but that's neither here nor therei; t's all about the P4A. This game isn't gonna to take you a while to master your characters combos and movement unless you decide to play Aigis. It won't frustrate you imo

To all the NYC people VGNY is in fact breaking the street date on Saturday but it seems they may do it based on priority.

You don't plink in marvel.

That is false. There is plinking in marvel particularly for Dante.

Top Bottom