• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Infinite

I don't think that's plinking, just fast button pressing.
The way I input the command is 6H > 22H~S. If that's not a plink then I guess I'm wrong. Who really gives a shit at this point? Why are we even arguing if X game has links?

That is a jump cancel, and you don't have to plink it.

Not sure what you by "you don't have to plink it". You don't have to plink any link lol. Can you is the question

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The way I input the command is 6H > 22H~S. If that's not a plink then I guess I'm wrong. Who really gives a shit at this point? Why are we even arguing if X game has links?

That's the opposite of a plink, a plink is going from high to low and the lows all counting as repeat presses of the high. :p Which is a glitch from the sf4 engine....

Edit: God's Beard beat me

Infinite

Plinking is an engine-specific glitch, not a technique.

That's the opposite of a plink, a plink is going for high to low and the lows all counting as repeat presses of the high. :p Which is a glitch from the sf4 engine....

Edit: God's Beard beat me

I guess I'm wrong.

But I'm fully aware that it was originally a glitch but didn't they intentionally leave it in SSF4 and intentionally put it in SfxT thus making it no longer glitch?

Onemic

Looks like there's a local BB scene around my area and they might be getting P4A too.....I'm now thinking of picking that game up in anticipation of P4A. Good idea? bad idea? Will the BB scene(online and off) die with the release of P4A?(not that the offline scene was that great anyway)

Sophia

o.o what did they say?

Was in regard to the game's reception if I recall.

Enjoyed it a lot, but switched it off as they were heading into the story mode. I'm sure they wouldn't actually spoil anything serious, but I'd rather go into the game knowing as little as possible. I'll watch the rest after Tuesday.

They do the start of Chie's story mode, and pretty much spoil nothing. They didn't even make it to the first fight.

Solune

Looks like there's a local BB scene around my area and they might be getting P4A too.....I'm now thinking of picking that game up in anticipation of P4A. Good idea? bad idea? Will the BB scene(online and off) die with the release of P4A?(not that the offline scene was that great anyway)

BB is already dead in general, at least in America and most places not named Japan. That's what I was getting at last time.

So how does the technical complexity of the game compare to Blazblue and Guilty Gear? Is it easier than blazblue or somewhere in between blazblue and guilty gear?

o.o what did they say?

IIRC, Aram mentions the fanbase's understanding of the availability of certain voice actors for the game and mentions NeoGAF in regard to the overall reception of the game. He also said that after viewing the NeoGAF OT, QisTopTier will be the EVO2013 P4A champ and we.are.the.armada will be contracted to do graphic art. Or maybe just that first part :)

Lot of Chie love in that quick look!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
IIRC, Aram mentions the fanbase's understanding of the availability of certain voice actors for the game and mentions NeoGAF in regard to the overall reception of the game. He also said that after viewing the NeoGAF OT, QisTopTier will be the EVO2013 P4A champ and we.are.the.armada will be contracted to do graphic art. Or maybe just that first part :)

LOL I could never be evo champ I suck

Esura

Banned
You don't plink in marvel.

I should of quoted the other post that mentioned plinking in AE. Sorry about that.

Yeah it is but that's neither here nor therei; t's all about the P4A. This game isn't gonna to take you a while to master your characters combos and movement unless you decide to play Aigis. It won't frustrate you imo

image.php

Damn.... :(

But I main Noel in BB so that should be some good experience to attempt Aigis no?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Damn.... :(

But I main Noel in BB so that should be some good experience to attempt Aigis no?

Nah, not really. Aegis is her own weird thing. Her powered up mode is kinda like playing a marvel character though. Well at least in terms of speed and high low mix ups. Her high low is literally almost so fast you have to guess it. Its one of the reasons she's top.

vocab

Ya aigis seems a little more complex. Limited flight mode which opens up more moves? and limited ammo in her mini gun. So three meters you'll have to manage. But her combos are pretty, and that bullet hell pressure looks really strong.

Ya aigis seems a little more complex. Limited flight mode which opens up more moves? and limited ammo in her mini gun. So three meters you'll have to manage. But her combos are pretty, and that bullet hell pressure looks really strong.

I remember seeing a stream earlier this year where the Aigis player ran out of ammo, and I suppose it was the first time they had seen that, and everybody was laughing while the opponent stayed back for a while and let the Aigis player do the gun firing animation over and over without ammo. Did anybody see that?

Infinite

Nah, not really. Aegis is her own weird thing. Her powered up mode is kinda like playing a marvel character though. Well at least in terms of speed and high low mix ups. Her high low is literally almost so fast you have to guess it. Its one of the reasons she's top.

She's basically like a Magneto which I didn't think was an easy character to pick up movement wise.

Esura

Banned

I'd say a little closer to nova but same dif, magneto would probably be easier to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIygsVczI5U&t=9m30s

Check out this video Esura

Thanks for the vid. I'm getting a Trish vibe from her from that video as well as a Mag vibe. I never played against too many Novas so I don't quite know how he plays. Those mixups are crazy.

I'm going to still give her a shot, especially if the game is easier to get into than the average ArcSys game.

SerRodrik

Urgh, I'm still bitter about that. I'm sure there was no way around it, but it's the one thing I'm still unsure about.

vocab

I'd say a little closer to nova but same dif, magneto would probably be easier to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIygsVczI5U&t=9m30s

Check out this video Esura

So game plan looks like this.

1) Use that bullet spread wisely.
2) Flight mode starts your offense. Sit back when you don't have flight mode.

So ya, learning how to play when A) you have no flight mode, and B) have no bullets is probably key in some cases. Seems without bullets, and limited persona options makes her defensive options kinda shit. Plus she has low health, so defense is really important. How's her R action?

SerRodrik

Don't be. Having seen the story mode pretty extensively, the new voices are just fine.

Oh I'm sure. What little I've heard from both replacements leads me to believe they'll do an excellent job performance-wise. I'm more worried about my ability to adapt. I've been listening to them talk for hundreds of hours, they're pretty ingrained into my brain. Anyone else risks just sounding weird.

Sophia

Oh I'm sure. What little I've heard from both replacements leads me to believe they'll do an excellent job performance-wise. I'm more worried about my ability to adapt. I've been listening to them talk for hundreds of hours, they're pretty ingrained into my brain. Anyone else risks just sounding weird.

I got used to the new voices pretty fast, despite having some 100 plus hours on regular Persona 4. I can't picture them doing the old lines, but for the sake of the game they're fantastic. Teddie in particular is as every bit as hilarious as the original.

SF4 links are seriously not that hard, even the 1 framers. If you put the time into practicing these links(if you wanted to that is), I think you would find it kind of easy. I actually consider myself to have bad execution, but I can hit 2 frame links all day, even 1 frame links. The only links that I and most people stay away from are the ones that take place after a move with a lot of active frames. Like Ryu's F+HP into cr. HP link or Fei Long's HK chicken wing into st. HP link. Those are a bitch and you'll see most of the guys main'ing them not even attempt those links. But they'll go for the 1 frame sweep links that both characters have(or had in Fei Long's case) and they almost always hit them, even the average players.

About Persona 4 though, I actually don't know how combos work in this game. Is it chains, or is everything like a 5 frame link or something else?

There are magic series/gatling/revolver chains for your characters, but the better combos require links with pretty tight timings, especially if they involve personas. For example, one of Elizabeth's challenges requires you to do 5C (a double slash from Thanatos) followed by 2C (Thanatos charges up then releases a small shockwave around him), and finally into 214B (Mabufudyne). I found it was pretty impossible to combo into the 2C and Mabufudyne if I waited to see the previous attack hit before I input the next command, instead I had to finish executing the commands at the moment I expect the previous attack to land.
An interesting point to note is that you can input the One More Cancel command a few frames before the attack actually makes contact and the game will still register the command when it's valid. Also, persona attacks are sometimes not cancellable in the middle of their animation. For example, Labrys' jumping C attack has her persona create some spiky wheels at her location doing around 3 hits, you can't cancel that attack into her 214 special until the animation is completed. You might be able to One More Cancel that, but some attacks can't get One More Cancelled at all, like the aforementioned 5C by Thanatos. Well, the first slash can't be One More Cancelled, but the second can (which is pretty pointless since you can already act freely after that).
In addition, a special move might not be cancellable ordinarily, but if you use the boosted version it may allow you to cancel into other attacks in the middle of the animation (e.g. Elizabeth can only cancel Maragidyne into Mind Charge if she used the boosted version).

Top Bottom