• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Solune

Because I haven't gotten into a single fighting game I have ever purchased. That's not to say I haven't had fun with them, but I rarely practice because of how difficult they are (combos and that kind of stuff). And yeah, I got a little turned off by the combo videos.

This is probably the first fighting game I've been looking forward to due to previous interest in the series.

Well take it slow at first, remember that there is auto combo for you to start off with to get a feel for the game. Eventually you will have to stop using it as your crutch but that depends on how much time you'd like to spend on the game on it for multiplayer vs the story mode. There's plenty of people here who will play both casually and competitively, so no matter what you should be able to play with people around your skill level and still enjoy it.

Keep in mind that you don't have to become pro at the game, but I imagine most people would like to be at least competent. Think of it like playing DotA, the more time you invest in it the better you'll get and everyone has to start from the bottom.

EVOL 100%

Playing this game is making me remember that I'm horrifyingly terrible with any 2D fighting game character that isn't a shotoclone.

Why are you so hard to play as Naoto :(

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Well take it slow at first, remember that there is auto combo for you to start off with to get a feel for the game. Eventually you will have to stop using it as your crutch but that depends on how much time you'd like to spend on the game on it for multiplayer vs the story mode. There's plenty of people here who will play both casually and competitively, so no matter what you should be able to play with people around your skill level and still enjoy it.

Keep in mind that you don't have to become pro at the game, but I imagine most people would like to be at least competent. Think of it like playing DotA, the more time you invest in it the better you'll get and everyone has to start from the bottom.
Thanks for the advice.

Funny you mention DOTA though, because I don't play that much anymore for the same reasons :p

Granted, I'm better at DOTA than I am at fighting games. I guess I'm too spoiled by the ease of access of most shooters.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thank goodness this game has P3 music. As much as I love P4, I still think P3 has the superior soundtrack.

Evidence: Mass Destruction

EVOL 100%

Watch some high level naoto players and copy some of their strats and ideas

I'll do that, but first I need to get a hang of the mechanics. I've only been playing SoulCalibur and Viruta Fighter for the last few years so the mechanics are just making my mind blank out. :p

Thanks for the advice.

Funny you mention DOTA though, because I don't play that much anymore for the same reasons :p

Granted, I'm better at DOTA than I am at fighting games. I guess I'm too spoiled by the ease of access of most shooters.

The best part is that nobody will be shouting obscenities at you if you screw up!

Chavelo

So, I still haven't seen a sign of I'll Face Myself used as a battle theme.

I'm considering a pre-order cancel at this moment.

Sophia

So, I still haven't seen a sign of I'll Face Myself used as a battle theme.

I'm considering a pre-order cancel at this moment.

It's there. The reason you aren't seeing signs is because it plays at very pivotal and very spoilerific moments in story mode. It's also selectable.

So auto combo is basically like beginner mode in Blazblue?

I remember in that game it was pretty much only used if you wanted to troll people online.

Kinda, except they built the gameplay around it, so it's not entirely optional.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Not that I actually think this game is going to get actual costume change DLC, but if it did, they really should get Yu's fishing gear from the anime.

scaled.php

The Kings Game sequence from the anime would have been an awesome super for Yu.

So when it comes to characters health, do certain characters have more health then others despite the fact that everybody has the same size health bar like in Capcom fighters or does everybody actually have the same amount of health. Also, can you be stunned in this game from taking too many hits?

Characters have different amounts of health. There is no stun or guard break, but if your persona gets hit enough those two buttons are disabled until it recharges.

So when it comes to characters health, do certain characters have more health then others despite the fact that everybody has the same size health bar like in Capcom fighters or does everybody actually have the same amount of health. Also, can you be stunned in this game from taking too many hits?

Here you go:

Aigis - 9000
Akihiko - 10000
Steak - 9500
Elizabeth - 7500
Kanji - 10500
Labrys - 9500
Mitsuru - 9500
Naoto - 8000
Shadow Labrys - 8000
Teddie - 9500
Yosuke - 8300
Yu - 9500
Yukari - 9000
Yukiko - 8500

I looked around in the OT, but I couldn't find out if the game has any penalties for running away. BlazBlue and Guilty Gear both had something like that, but I don't see it listed here. Does the game have any penalties for running away too much?

I looked around in the OT, but I couldn't find out if the game has any penalties for running away. BlazBlue and Guilty Gear both had something like that, but I don't see it listed here. Does the game have any penalties for running away too much?

It is a status ailment called 'Negative Penalty'. If you run away too much you'll get a defence decrease until you start attacking again to remove it

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is it bad that I'm hoping the preorder CD just comes with a code to download the songs, so I don't have to rip it myself?

RS4-

Hmm I wonder if the save files are compatible. I kind of want to do as many achievements as possible so I don't have to do them again in a few days.

I can't remember if it was like that for SFIV, etc. Probably not.

Aedile

For anyone who didn't get the preorder deal before and is still interested, Newegg has $10 off game preorders with code EMCNBNG58.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I expected as much. I wonder how much bitching we'll see from SRK about that lol.

Not much takes like 50 billion backsteps for it to trigger and the characters that stay back have plenty of range attacks, try and remember how many times Nu in BBCT got negative penalty lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So auto combo is basically like beginner mode in Blazblue?

I remember in that game it was pretty much only used if you wanted to troll people online.

Yes, but not broken because you can't loop it (or I haven't seen people loop auto-combo). LOL TROEL BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB all day erryday.

Curufinwe

For anyone who didn't get the preorder deal before and is still interested, Newegg has $10 off game preorders with code EMCNBNG58.

Thanks!

I was waiting to see if Amazon would offer any deals, but it was worth signing up to Newegg just now to save $10.

I'm thinking I'm gonna be picking up Akihiko, since Makoto was my favorite in BBCS. Other candidates are Yu, Chie, Labrys, and Mitsuru.

On the other hand, I'm also thinking I need to challenge myself a little and try out Yukiko or S-Labrys, since I don't feel like I really 'get' those archtypes despite having played against them dozens of times, and I probably need to get out of my comfort zone to do so.

Top Bottom