• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

What does that have to do with playing the 3rd day of a game's release? I never said online was bad, but just playing early for the whole sake of winning games early against bad players just for an online rank isn't my idea of fun.

I agree playing for wins is pointless, but you can still learn a whole lot by playing on-line early.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
What's up with Amazon? I ordered a All Stars stick at like ... 2 am today, and it still hasn't shipped, and now it won't ship before the weekend

It mostly depends on what shipping method. If you picked Super Saver, it usually takes a day or two to process, THEN they ship it.

Edit : Ordered One and with a free prime trial, I should have it Tuesday. But I should have the game before then.

How are the parts on this stick anyway? Decent, or should I swap them out with better parts?

RoeBear

What's up with Amazon? I ordered a All Stars stick at like ... 2 am today, and it still hasn't shipped, and now it won't ship before the weekend

Yea, I ordered a stick on Sunday from Amazon and it didn't ship till Wednesday. I got it this afternoon so it wasn't so bad of a wait.

Dariso

Neo Member
Sry if it has been asked before, but regarding the story mode,
Is it confirmed that this isn't the same thing as blazblue where you get a extra chapter or something,after completing everyone's stories, where you get a true ending?
It would be kinda disappointing if they don't conclude the whole tournament story with this game. Or they are planning a sequel i guess.

Damn it.... I really want to play this on PS3. But I don't on a stick foe PS3, instead I have two 360 sticks. A HRAP-EX-SE and a MvC2 Madcatz TE.

Ugh... I don't want to buy another $100 stick...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
but its not the basics you have to learn to be decent. You have to learn what combos work where, how to convert off different hit-confirms, resets, frame traps, and etc. That on top of learning the game mechanics such as rolls, burst, fatal counters, and etc.

Playing online the 3rd day the game came out is like playing mvc3 and relying only on the magic series to win.

Gotta learn how to land that single hit before what comes after.

and for that reason I don't see why anyone would hold up in training mode for 2-3 weeks without playing people.

but I mean everyone is different I guess

denshuu

but its not the basics you have to learn to be decent. You have to learn what combos work where, how to convert off different hit-confirms, resets, frame traps, and etc. That on top of learning the game mechanics such as rolls, burst, fatal counters, and etc..

All of the things you listed are things that you learn while playing people. Sitting in training mode with an AI isn't going to teach you much beyond the basics of your character.

EVOL 100%

If you don't care about your win-lose ratio being in the shitter at the beginning I think that it's way better to practice online.

Gotta learn how to land that single hit before what comes after.

and for that reason I don't see why anyone would hold up in training mode for 2-3 weeks without playing people.

but I mean everyone is different I guess

Not just training mode. You could play with a friend/training partner or against the AI. The AI in some fighting game teaches you a lot of things you would never known unless somebody told you. Try playing mvc3 on the hardest setting, they will grab punish you the moment you do something that is -1f if they are in reach. Lastly I never said training mode non-stop 2-3 weeks either, there are other ways to play and learn beside online.

All of the things you listed are things that you learn while playing people. Sitting in training mode with an AI isn't going to teach you much beyond the basics of your character.

Not really. You can easily learn fatal counter setups and combos in training mode. How Also the AI can teach you things such as true block strings, what is a punishable etc etc. Playing against online scrubs in a single set isn't going to teach you anything beside habits on how to beat a scrub.

Even then your argument isn't even a counter to mine at all. I said I don't go online until 2-3 weeks after game release (exception is if I'm comfortable enough to go online). I never said "NEVER GO ONLINE".

edit

Why is nobody taking into consideration of lag on the week of a game's release. You know how difficult it was to air grab dante's tp online compared to offline?

OceanBlue

I don't know about games like BB or Marvel, but I'm awful at learning SF online. It's just so bad and offline just feels so much different.

Selvaria

Sry if it has been asked before, but regarding the story mode,
Is it confirmed that this isn't the same thing as blazblue where you get a extra chapter or something,after completing everyone's stories, where you get a true ending?
It would be kinda disappointing if they don't conclude the whole tournament story with this game. Or they are planning a sequel i guess.

Once you clear certain character's stories, you unlock an additional chapter for most characters with an extended ending.

But as I previously mentioned, the story is left completely open.

I'm guessing it's a P4A sequel of some sorts. They hint about taking the fight to the Moonlight Bridge from P3. It would make sense for Yukari and Junpei to be added to the roster.

Yes. The mentality of not playing online because it is laggy or whatever is where you get an army of ryus who can fadc to ultra but can't play the game for shit and know no match ups.

By all means if you have a friend that is the best option, but actually fighting and figuring out what you need to learn is going to help you the most. Fighting the ai or learning combos over weeks is worthless unless you get really lucky and practice the right things.

Chavelo

sHvvc.jpg

Yo GAF. We in there UURLEEEY.

Dariso

Neo Member
Once you clear certain character's stories, you unlock an additional chapter for most characters with an extended ending.

But as I previously mentioned, the story is left completely open.

Thanks a lot for the reply man.
Probably a P4A sequel is what they're planning. Damn lol having second thoughts of paying full price for the game.
Thought they would at least resolved this story leaving some losse ends for P5 or something but having the whole story end on a cliffhanger...

This is the stupidest thing I've seen in this thread and a damn shame. Don't assume that we're training basics like you have been.

Not everybody learns the same way, not every online match is ideal for experimentation, not every record feature trial and error snap is fruitful, and as for myself, nothing helps my muscle memory like training mode.

This is the stupidest thing I've seen in this thread and a damn shame. Don't assume that we're training basics like you have been.

Not everybody learns the same way, not every online match is ideal for experimentation, not every record feature trial and error snap is fruitful, and as for myself, nothing helps my muscle memory like training mode.

Likewise assuming everybody plays online is just as bad. People should use all the tools they have to get better.

Unless you can think you can mix up an AI for instance his view is calid

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm starting to get some serious buyers remorse.

PS3 or 360 version? Regardless, I know that feeling.

It's not even a matter of me being bad at fighters at this point, I've gotten over that as far as this game goes. Now I'm just worried about the 360 netcode.

Nyoro SF

Training mode is useful for combos and tactics practice, but nothing can prepare you for human tendency other than playing real people.

Now can we move on from this?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why's that? If it's the conversation at hand, I'd just ignore it. :p

Nah, it has nothing to do with the thread. Was playing Blazblue and remembered that none of the characters really "clicked" with me. Went to the tutorial mode and under strategy they're talking cross-ups, mix-ups, rushdown, etc. all in ONE tutorial for the character and that's all "WHOOSH" in trying to take it in.

BB's tutorial is good for the basics, but teaching people the various nuances of the characters is where it fails.

Plus, while I like fighting games, I hate the community and am guaranteed to get hate mail no matter what the fuck I do in a round and I don't like having my message box stuffed full of bullshit. Wish PSN's privacy settings let messages be friends only. Would save me a headache. Along with me being a casual player and after the first week most people are going to be 20x better at the game than I ever will be. So...

BlackJace

Nah, it has nothing to do with the thread. Was playing Blazblue and remembered that none of the characters really "clicked" with me. Went to the tutorial mode and under strategy they're talking cross-ups, mix-ups, rushdown, etc. all in ONE tutorial for the character and that's all "WHOOSH" in trying to take it in.

BB's tutorial is good for the basics, but teaching people the various nuances of the characters is where it fails.

Plus, while I like fighting games, I hate the community and am guaranteed to get hate mail no matter what the fuck I do in a round and I don't like having my message box stuffed full of bullshit. Wish PSN's privacy settings let messages be friends only. Would save me a headache. Along with me being a casual player and after the first week most people are going to be 20x better at the game than I ever will be. So...

That's kinda my apprehension with the game, but it has plenty of other things to do besides online, if that helps.

Sophia

Can't say I'm really fond of the fighting game community myself

I'm sure someone will say otherwise, but I've always found Arc System Works fighting games far easier to learn than any other fighter.

I still think David Sirlin's tutorial for SSF2T is still one of the best I've ever seen, as it actually TAUGHT stuff. It doesn't quite apply to ASW games beyond the basics of cross-ups and zoning, but I'm still a believer after watching it, taking in the info, and getting my first win online.

Tomat

Have you guys really had problems with the FGC? Any time I've ever played online nobody ever talks. If you get hate mail just delete it, no sweat.

Sophia

Have you guys really had problems with the FGC? Any time I've ever played online nobody ever talks. If you get hate mail just delete it, no sweat.

Not online, but I've always avoided excessive talk from the FGC on forums.

Also, I don't think the community surrounding P4A will be as caustic as the likes of Marvel or SF.

Absolutely not. The game's beginner friendly nature will help a lot.

TWILT

Banned
...I get hate mail all the time when I play Marvel. ;_;

I never really had problems with the FGC (hell, I'm part of it...), but I tend to avoid the elitist stuff especially on other forums like SRK.

Tomat

Not online, but I've always avoided excessive talk from the FGC on forums.

Trash talk comes with the territory I think. Same deal for the DOTA2 GAF community. I think once you get to know everyone you come to realize most of it is probably just friendly banter.

Sophia

Trash talk comes with the territory I think. Same deal for the DOTA2 GAF community. I think once you get to know everyone you come to realize most of it is probably just friendly banter.

Coincidentally, I avoid the communities for MOBAs for that exact same reason. It puts me in a bad mood, even if it's not directed at me at all.

lol that's a silly thing to do

Posts like yours are exactly the reason I avoid it. :p

sephi22

Psn does have that option somewhere. I recall seeing it. Try privacy in account settings

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can't say I'm really fond of the fighting game community myself

I'm sure someone will say otherwise, but I've always found Arc System Works fighting games far easier to learn than any other fighter.

Oh, I know. I played Guilty Gear
for like two-three months against the AI by myself. I liked Guilty Gear because it's characters were fun to play despite being slightly different. I could suck with the majority and still have fun. Blazblue kinda takes the "every character is different" a little too far. Like Hakumen's meter building is completely different from the other characters and while they explain that in his tutorial it's not SHOWN/explained in a video/animation while explaining.

BlackJace said:
Also, I don't think the community surrounding P4A will be as caustic as the likes of Marvel or SF.

People said that about VF5's online and yet the same bullshit happened there and completely turned me off the online mode of VF5 despite them doing the sensible route of making the achievements not bullshit for the online portion. *shrug*

I think the only reason I'm going to play online is for that rank achievement quickly and then attempt to get the C+ style one. After that I'll probably go back to offline mode and never look back.

Tomat

Coincidentally, I avoid the communities for MOBAs for that exact same reason. It puts me in a bad mood, even if it's not directed at me at all.

I completely understand what you're saying, I'm the same way. I'll get pissed at people in the DOTA thread for giving people too much shit. Usually though it is just friendly shit talk among friends and not the real deal. Granted, I'm only speaking for the DOTA2 thread. I'm usually in the GAF mumble with them every day, there's some nice people in the community.

vocab

Flood Q's inbox with hatemail. Speaking of hatemail, I haven't got one since MVC vanilla. Shows how average I am.

Tomat

I found that the 360 version lags. It was kinda rare but it happened none the less.

Someone said a page or two ago that the netcode is supposed to be pretty bad.

Could have sworn it was you :p

LuchaShaq

Banned

When I beat people in MVC3 when I put it on idiot mode I got so much hate mail it was hilarious.

I played a ton of MK9 online and didn't get much mail of any kind.

Small sample sizes

Tomat

When I beat people in MVC3 when I put it on idiot mode I got so much hate mail it was hilarious.

I played a ton of MK9 online and didn't get much mail of any kind.

Small sample sizes

See, I'd love to get that kind of hate mail. That would be amazing.

Top Bottom