• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

OceanBlue

people play online the first week? Personally I would never touch online in a new fighter for atleast 2-3 weeks.

I can understand it. Go through your normals and specials and try them out, get a basic feel for the system, learn a basic BnB or two, and get online to see how the game feels against other players. I'm not a big training mode monster so I think I would too.

Although I'm definitely going to learn how to punish Mitsuru's DP before I go online.

I can understand it. Go through your normals and specials and try them out, get a basic feel for the system, learn a basic BnB or two, and get online to see how the game feels against other players. I'm not a big training mode monster so I think I would too.

Although I'm definitely going to learn how to punish Mitsuru's DP before I go online.

Personally I'm going to go in on resets, frame traps, and how to punish a baited burst. Those are going to be my biggest things after learning the character and game mechanics.

Selvaria

Been playing my imported copy for a few days now. This is easily my favorite Arc System Works game!

I've just cleared Yu's story mode. The story is really well written. But, without spoiling anything, the ending is left completely wide open. I wonder if the story will come to a close by clearing other character's stories?

I would like to see a sequel though.

B00TE

I'm gonna be in local VS mode until people start to head home, then get a feel for online play with whoever is left. Pass the controller after every match. We'll be the worst ever, but just about everyone in our little group prefers to learn in the fight (and we'll lose a lot, but it's what we can take away from a fight that helps).

After everyone has cleared out, it'll be time for story mode! Tuesday can't get here soon enough.

kewlmyc

Been playing my imported copy for a few days now. This is easily my favorite Arc System Works game!

I've just cleared Yu's story mode. The story is really well written. But, without spoiling anything, the ending is left completely wide open. I wonder if the story will come to a close by clearing other character's stories?

I would like to see a sequel though.
Some people are thinking that it's going to lead into Persona 5. The other stories just add more cliffhangers.

Question, are there any visual differences between either version? Sometimes the 360 has sub-HD. I'm assuming it's like BlazBlue so there shouldn't be any visual compromises for either version, but just asking to make sure.

Any exclusive characters for the PS3v?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
people play online the first week? Personally I would never touch online in a new fighter for atleast 2-3 weeks.

I never play online, but that's only because my roommate plays fighting games as well.

Stark

Banned
I think it's just a set-up for a potential sequel Persona Arena game and possibly DLC.

The story is canon to the previous games though, correct? It seems to mainly be a bridge to a bigger story. The ASW collaboration was also probably a one-time thing.

d0c_zaius

messed around with training mode for a couple of hours. I didnt realize how different it is until getting to check out the different systems and characters.

It seems like they put in a lot of love with all the voice over work.

kewlmyc

I think it's just a set-up for a potential sequel Persona Arena game and possibly DLC.
Considering Nyarlathotep shows up, I highly doubt it's just a lead in to another fighting game. I wouldn't mind another fighting game though. Actually, no I rather get P5 than more spinoffs, ports, and adaptions. :p

Trigger

Considering Nyarlathotep shows up, I highly doubt it's just a lead in to another fighting game. I wouldn't mind another fighting game though. Actually, no I rather get P5 than more spinoffs, ports, and adaptions. :p

Yeah.

My first thought is that the plotline would be picked up for a sequel or DLC where he drags more characters into a new tournament, but it could easily be a set-up for Persona 5. I just don't know where the main team's minds are on the next game.

denshuu

Why? It takes like one or two days tops to learn the basics of a character. You learn everything else by playing other people. Plus you're doing yourself a disservice by giving everyone else a two week head start.

TWILT

Banned
I usually do some single player stuff (in this case, finish story mode), and practice some BnB combos before hitting online (so not for a couple days at least).

Stark

Banned
I usually do some single player stuff (in this case, finish story mode), and practice some BnB combos before hitting online (so not for a couple days at least).

I'm the same. I tackle all the SP stuff first and offline modes, then finally tackle it after a few days in training.

Why? It takes like one or two days tops to learn the basics of a character. You learn everything else by playing other people.

but its not the basics you have to learn to be decent. You have to learn what combos work where, how to convert off different hit-confirms, resets, frame traps, and etc. That on top of learning the game mechanics such as rolls, burst, fatal counters, and etc.

Playing online the 3rd day the game came out is like playing mvc3 and relying only on the magic series to win.

vocab

Playing online the 3rd day the game came out is like playing mvc3 and relying only on the magic series to win.

Hey as long as you know how to block, You can get a good win streak with just that during the first month. Dante's basic day 1 combo into dead pool was winning tournaments before the game was even out. People learn this shit on the fly. You can practice all the time in the world, but when you actually play a random person, the thought of him doing something you have no idea how to deal with is way more scarier than "Oh man, If I woulda reset there, and did more frame traps when he was in the corner, I could of won.

You think those Kens in SFIV vanilla who got up to A-B in the first month gave two shits?

Yeah.

My first thought is that the plotline would be picked up for a sequel or DLC where he drags more characters into a new tournament, but it could easily be a set-up for Persona 5. I just don't know where the main team's minds are on the next game.

Are there story spoilers in video form yet (english)?

but its not the basics you have to learn to be decent. You have to learn what combos work where, how to convert off different hit-confirms, resets, frame traps, and etc. That on top of learning the game mechanics such as rolls, burst, fatal counters, and etc.

After getting the basics down, I'll jump online and try out a number of characters. Try to get a feel for who I like and what 'clicks'. Then it is back to the lab to get some more tech down.

Staying in training mode or just playing online are both bad ideas. But a good mix is the best way to go. You will learn just as much doing both.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You play online day one to button mash wins out quickly for the leveling up to 30 trophy. Then you hit training mode or whatever for the C+ trophy.

*cough*

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Well, that's pretty much what the first two weeks of MvC3 were: piss easy wins for anyone who understood the magic series. AND IT WAS GLORIOUS

Really, why cheat yourself out of the easiest matches you will ever see in p4a?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://twitter.com/wildfireZer0/status/231570087340040192/photo/1

96Vpq.jpg

c00l

Well, that's pretty much what the first two weeks of MvC3 were: piss easy wins for anyone who understood the magic series. AND IT WAS GLORIOUS

Because wins against scrubs online isn't important to me? I plan to play this game at locals. I don't intend to be an online warrior, nor do I care about rank online.

Steaks

Because wins against scrubs online isn't important to me? I plan to play this game at locals. I don't intend to be an online warrior, nor do I care about rank online.

I uh, hate to break this to you, but I played a lot online and was incredibly highly rated in Blazblue when I played it. As in, like, one of the best players on the East Coast. Not online. In tournaments.

I learned all my matchups online because I didn't have enough people to play IRL.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Fun isn't important? You don't have to want to be an online warrior - the aforementioned first few weeks of MvC3 were a blast.

SUPARSTARX

I, too, grind a lot online. But not because I can't find competition though. It's better learning to supplement training mode setups and combos you learn. You can't teach yourself a lot of fundamentals if you just slap the dummy around or try to set it up for specific situations.

Are there story spoilers in video form yet (english)?

probably easier to just try to read it than finding video. the story is told almost entirely in visual novel form, you'll be reading a lot than watching cutscene. also, the basic story is really simple, if we compare it to persona 3/4, this is basically just a 1 case/dungeon story.

what make it long is that you're repeating many of the same scene with each character although with a bit alteration here and there, and the dialog interaction between characters are great, often time hilarious. chie-akihiko, kanji-naoto, naoto-mitsuru are among my favorites.

oh, and Kanji is pretty damn boss in his story, kinda shows that he's the best character in persona 4 cast.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's up with Amazon? I ordered a All Stars stick at like ... 2 am today, and it still hasn't shipped, and now it won't ship before the weekend

I uh, hate to break this to you, but I played a lot online and was incredibly highly rated in Blazblue when I played it. As in, like, one of the best players on the East Coast. Not online. In tournaments.

I learned all my matchups online because I didn't have enough people to play IRL.

What does that have to do with playing the 3rd day of a game's release? I never said online was bad, but just playing early for the whole sake of winning games early against bad players just for an online rank isn't my idea of fun.

this was the quote I was responding to

Top Bottom