• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Baust

Loving the game so far. The soundtrack is great too, comprised of more P4 and P3 songs than I thought there'd be!

Also, anyone know if it's possible to taunt? Can't figure it out...

Alucrid

Banned
Ok. If I order the game now from Amazon I can get it Thursday with two day free shipping or tomorrow with 1 day, but since I had it preordered I have to wait until Friday. wtf.

Dantis

Gotta admit, this soundtrack CD is severely lacking compared to past Atlus discs.

It's not Meguro, so maybe that's why it's not what you were expecting?

I think it's pretty solid though. I like the remixes more than the actual OST.

DJIzana

I saw Gametrailers review for it... the only time I'll trust a review is fpr a game outside of the realm of genres I play. I've never been huge in fighting games but I love the Persona series and this seems like an easy start. Typically the only fighting game (if you even want to call it that), that I've enjoyed was the Smash Bros. series.

I normally just play like... open world games, jrpg's / sjrpgs or the odd FPS or survival horror game. So I'm hoping if what they've said, in terms of how easy it is, will be a good fit for me. I really enjoy the style Arc System Works uses too. Any input would be nice from you guys too, please let me know how this would be for a beginner to the fighting game scene! =)

Thanks!

Ken

Loving the game so far. The soundtrack is great too, comprised of more P4 and P3 songs than I thought there'd be!

Also, anyone know if it's possible to taunt? Can't figure it out...

Couldn't find it in the manual so I don't think there is a taunt?

Onemic

Loving the game right now. I was skeptical about autocombos at first, but they are a wonderful addition to the game if you are first starting out with either this game(which we all are) or fighting games in general, as it allows you to focus on fundamentals first and foremost and combos second, since you can just pres 5aaaaa to do a simple troublefree combo. Unlike other games where I feel like you have to learn combos first and fundamentals second, as you wont be able to do any dmg to your opponent if you dont learn any.(blazblue ;( )

Defunkled

Can someone help me please? I'm stuck on the Instant Kill lesson in Lesson Mode. No matter how many times I try, hitting Down, Down, Down, C + D doesn't perform Yu's Instant Kill. Am I doing something wrong here? It's exactly what the Command List is telling me to input.

Sophia

Labrys's english voice...

JERSEY ACCENT

WHYYYYYYYYYY

Hey, it's cute. Hush you. :|

Can someone help me please? I'm stuck on the Instant Kill lesson in Lesson Mode. No matter how many times I try, hitting Down, Down, Down, C + D doesn't perform Yu's Instant Kill. Am I doing something wrong here? It's exactly what the Command List is telling me to input.

You have to be quick about it.

Alfredo

I've never had any problems with the older SF4 pads, but I did tend to break the Dpads after a while.

The SFxT pad feels...odd, but I can't tell if it's due to the size or the new build quality on the pads themselves. I had a cammy fightpad for 2 years and did well with it, when that broke I bought a Juri one which still does well. I bought a SFxT one in a pinch in order to compete in the Marvel tournament at PAXEast and had issues with it.

I've been doing a ton of research on what the best pad for fighting is on 360 and, in the end, it's still the transforming D Pad ones. Problem is the build quality on those pads is SO HORRIBLE, you will be running through dozens of them. In 2 months I went through 8. Gamestop had no choice but to exchange them. The plastic on the Axl of the dPad is completely flimsy so any serious play literally snaps them in half.

I dunno, I think you guys are crazy. I've had a Chun-li MadCatz FightPad for the 360 ever since Street Fighter 4 came out, and it has been great since then. I feel it's leagues better than the "transforming d-pad."

HOWEVER, maybe the reason the d-pad is so good is because I did this easy d-pad mod. I don't know, because it's been so long since I've played without it.

So Yukiko is definitely not an easy char to pickup but definitely fun.

I tried online just to see how is the netcode day 1. It can go from vanilla mvc3 ass to pretty amazing.

Sophia

I swear it sounds Texan.

It's not anywhere close to Texan accent.

So Yukiko is definitely not an easy char to pickup but definitely fun.

I tried online just to see how is the netcode day 1. It can go from vanilla mvc3 ass to pretty amazing.

I'm glad there's actually players now. Guess I was just getting unlucky yesterday, as all my games today are largely lag free. Of course, I'm utterly pissed off thanks to real life at the moment, so I haven't exactly won today...

TWILT

Banned
Just finished all the lessons, and man I having a blast already. Gonna try and do Yu's challenges and hit story mode.

Button layout is messing me up though; guess I'm still too used to the Marvel layout :lol.

B00TE

Been playing non stop since 10:30 EST. I love this game. Definitely getting a 360 copy as well. Haven't tried online yet, been in versus mode. Kanji, Akihiko and Chie are so much fun to play. The only character being played by more than one person is Chie (everyone loves her play style).

We'll be online tonight, probably make a room. Or possibly be bouncing around rooms. Wish there was a public matching feature like ranked has, where you just choose a character and go essentially.

Cheska

I know that we have that list going on with everyone's name but I wonder if there should be some separation in terms of everyone's skill level. I would definitely love to play with other casuals where we can just sit and have fun rather than getting frustrated when playing with some of the more advanced crowd.

Button layout is messing me up though; guess I'm still too used to the Marvel layout :lol.

Same here, the SF 6 button lay out has been instilled in me since I was 9 years old. The only other non-SF game that I played a lot was MVC2. But that was a easier transition as it used 2 punches and 2 kicks. This on the other hand, it's literally frying my mind. It's hard to break the only thing you've ever known for the past 20 years. I think simply getting use to this game is going to take me a little longer than most FGC-GAF'ers because of my lack of experience playing non-Capcom games.

njean777

Ok after playing for a bit longer, I retract my statement this game seems to be fun for everybody from beginners to pros (I guess that was there point). I would say I am a novice at fighting games so hopefully I can play this without getting over frustrated online.

Sophia

Poor new player. I saw F- and 0 PSR and assumed the worst. Won the match by Mortal Blow and they didn't even win a round. I... almost feel sorry. D:

phaonaut

From finesko stream, I didnt know that stick was real

OwrmY.jpg

MechaX

I have been in Challenge Mode with Aigis for awhile now (haven't done anything else). Seems nice enough, since I'm using my recently purchased arcade stick to play it. I really want to go back to a pad just because my qcf motions are pretty shaky on a stick, but I'm resisting the urge to do so.

But I do have a question in terms of the default button layout for stick users. For the people that are still using this set-up...
AC
BD

Exactly how are you having your fingers rest on the controls? I instinctively put my index and middle finger on A and C, but it's kinda awkward to switch between B and D with my thumb, and it's excessively awkward to try to have four fingers on that configuration at once. I am thinking about remapping the controls to have B,C,D at top row with A at lower left, but I want to give the default scheme a few more hours before I decide.

Busaiku

Oh, so Labrys isn't actually new to this game, but existed before?
I really want to go back to a pad just because my qcf motions are pretty shaky on a stick, but I'm resisting the urge to do so.
Playing on a stick isn't gonna magically make you better, it's just a different control method.
If you think you can do better on a pad, go for it.

MechaX

Playing on a stick isn't gonna magically make you better, it's just a different control method.
If you think you can do better on a pad, go for it.

I got that, but a notion of getting better is not quite the reason I got a stick. I'm actually doing some actual physical damage to my thumb playing on the pads I got, which was actually the motivating factor to getting a stick in the first place. I don't want to switch back because I know I have to toughen it out to get used to playing on stick.

Top Bottom