• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

B00TE

Yeah but... losing to me of all people? I'm not exactly good at this game. :p

Well, at least you're better off than that dude you just mauled, probably. :p

Any tips for Yosuke? One of my friends is dead set on learning him but isn't doing so well at the moment. Watching him in the lab right now.

This game is pretty sweet. beat Yu's arcade mode (glad to see it spoils nothing from the story mode...trying to wait for my sister to be back before I tackle that since she's not the best fighting game player but she loves Persona 4).

Before that I ran through the cast on a small sample size. No real favorite yet (althoug I can't use Naoto or Aegis for shit) but I'm leaning towards Yosuke or Labyrs (or Chie...but the army is too big for a scrub like me...lol).

But first impressions go like

Yu: basic, kinda slugish...and I haven't grasped the Persona aspect sicne I often send Izanagi out to die. Having a DP that damages you is going to lead to some fun for scrub killers....

Yosuke: Fast as shit and seemingly have crazy combo potential. Not sure about his damage tho. Fun to play.

Chie: So fun to use....rushdown all de time but I'm pretty sure I'm using her wrong.

Yukiko: Didn't really grasp her playstyle expect she using her persona for all of her speical which would be my downfall.

Teddie: Not a fan of Teddie...lol but he seems to have a ton of options

Kanji: I never really use grapple characters and probably won't start but brofist. Nuff said.

Naoto: too technical for my current level but I could see experts laying traps and keeping people away with ease...hopefully not against me.

Liz: I had fun but she seems to be a technical character too..her autocombo is beastly tho. I might try to use her eventually when/if I get a better grasp of everything.

Mitsuru: Can't charge with or without my stick (which is broken) without making it obvious. She has a small movelist which could mean eventually she becomes predictable...maybe?

Akihiko: Swag. I struggle with rekkas but I felt like a boss for the 5 minutes I played him, will look into him later.

Aegis: No clue what the fuck I was doing, would probably use all my bullets every match and I wasn't even sure If I was in Orgia mode or not....so...lolno.

Labrys: I like her design, she seems a bit slow but I had fun. Need more time in the lab tho. Potential main just because.

Shabrys: Nope. I like crazy but having my persona on screen at all times and setting up stuff is not for me. Never say never but for now...no.

This might be the one fighting game where I don't mind beating arcade mode with everyone...probably gonna bump it down a bit for some characters. I didn't have much trouble on normal with Yu until Shabrys...had to scrub it out with random dps and still barely won.

One thing though...does the game not fit the screen or is that just something on my end?

Gonna take a quick break and then get back to it.....I probably will knock out more arcade modes tonight.

Sophia

Aegis: No clue what the fuck I was doing, would probably use all my bullets every match and I wasn't even sure If I was in Orgia mode or not....so...lolno.

Orgia mode is activated by 22A or 22AB (Down Down A or AB.) General gameplay with Aigis is using your bullets outside of Origa mode to look for an opening, and then when see one, pop Origa mode and take advantage of it. If you're just firing bullets all the time, you'll lose pretty fast because while they're great for zoning, they have pretty low damage.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just got back from the store. The buyer's remorse is literally overflowing from the game case.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Calling it now Kanji will be nerfed

Tier list atm goes like:

S: Aegis, Mitsuru
A: Teddie/Kuma, Akihiko, Yu, Yosuke, Chie
B: S.Labrys, Labrys, Yukiko, Kanji, Naoto, Elizabeth

So, probably not unless something big happens. Or ArcSys wants to start nerfing bottom tier characters for whatever reason.

Sophia

Starting to win matches consistently now. 29 PSR, E+ rank.

Just got back from the store. The buyer's remorse is literally overflowing from the game case.

That's not buyer's remorse. That's the smell of a fresh game out of the package telling you it's going to be awesome.

So what are the downsides to using the 5 A combos other than missing out on doing more damaging combo?

You mean the auto-combo? Mainly because it's the same combo every time. Your opponent in an ideal situation will see it coming.

njean777

Tier list atm goes like:

S: Aegis, Mitsuru
A: Teddie/Kuma, Akihiko, Yu, Yosuke, Chie
B: S.Labrys, Labrys, Yukiko, Kanji, Naoto, Elizabeth

So, probably not unless something big happens. Or ArcSys wants to start nerfing bottom tier characters for whatever reason.

I have no clue who put him in bottom tier his throws destroy your life gauge.

Well, at least you're better off than that dude you just mauled, probably. :p

Any tips for Yosuke? One of my friends is dead set on learning him but isn't doing so well at the moment. Watching him in the lab right now.

Do all his challenges. Get his timing down. Never sit still.

Shito

Was in training mode for a good 30 minutes now, working on the godly Mitsuru combo the SBO winner used sooo much, all the while vaguely listening to the FinestKO charity stream.
When all of a sudden I'm like "wait, who is this guy talking, he really has the same voice as english Teddie: that's quite a thing.... oh, wait, it IS the guy doing Teddie's english voice! Commentating the stream, as if he were Teddie... okay...".

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That's not buyer's remorse. That's the smell of a fresh game out of the package telling you it's going to be awesome.
The twist is, I haven't opened it yet. Full refund still applicable.

Infinite

Those tier list are opinions and not based on any kind of quantitative data. Please don't let it define your character choices or anything of that nature. All the characters in the game are viable atm.

Sophia

Bad at fighting games like me? It's hard for me to avoid this game, but knowing my lack of love of the genre, I just could not buy it :/

I'm starting to wonder if Tomat enjoys anything now, given his/her responses in this thread. :p

Also, Aigis (EN) vs Aigis (JP) with Aigis as the commentator. Surreal. Luckily, Aigis won. >_>

Don't know where to put this, so I guess this is where this should go:

this is an old Gamertag lol, my newer one is having issues, try not to laugh at my xXXxXx name, I was younger when I made it:

Platform: 360
Gamertag: IXAceOfSpadesXI
Characters I Intend to Main: Yosuke, Naoto, and either Mitsuru or Akihiko

I'm gettin this game tomorrow or the next day, cannot wait, bring it!

Sophia

So I'm hearing you can't use analogue sticks on this?

That is an amazingly stupid design decision.

What? Analogue sticks work just fine, unless you mean like macroing it.

With as bad as my hand is getting beaten up by the PS3's d-pad, I'm tempted to play with just the stick at times... >_>

Dantis

What? Analogue sticks work just fine, unless you mean like macroing it.

Really?

That's really weird then. Some guy on GFAQs is sat getting mad, saying that analogue sticks only work in beginner mode or something.

Thank goodness it's not true.

Trolling it up with Yosuke. At D rank right now online which doesn't mean much since it's first day.

I still have trouble confirming anything into combo's. Especially the sukukaja combo from the challenge mode.

The sukukaja version of the auto combo is pretty nice though.

I like using the auto combo without the super for building quick meter at the beginning.

Venfayth

Story mode concerns:

wtf, i just got credits after that? WHO THE FUCK THREW HER IN THE TV? someone please tell me there's more unlockable story or something. i need resolution up in this mother fucker.

Top Bottom