• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

brettreyu

Did not have much time to sink into this tonight, parenting duties. I really enjoyed what I played and the fan service to Persona 4 is remarkable.

Chavelo

Steam convo I had a minute ago

Local "player" that follows too much online FGC drama: hey who's top tier in persona 4 arena?
Chavelo: Why?
Local "player" that follows too much online FGC drama: cause
Local "player" that follows too much online FGC drama: i want someone good when i play the game at the next gathering
Chavelo has logged off

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Today I played this for like 2 hours, but for some reason I just couldn't play online with anyone. Does anybody know if I should open some ports in my router or something? It kept giving me that I had to wait for the other players to respond, which never ever happened, every single time.

Imm0rt4l

Man I was going to wait a month to get this game, but I might cave. I should probably trade in SFxT, but I doubt I'd get much for it.

Onemic

great games onemic, we had some really damn close ones lol

Mitsuru is so terrifying, I really need to step up my anti-air game

ggs. That 5D combo I kept trying to do failed so hard. I think the best I got was 50% of it but you did a burst :(

Once I get Mitsu's 5D, 8D, and 2D combos down, that will make me way more versatile with her as I'll be more dangerous at more ranges. <3 Mitsuru

Hey, whoever's running that "gaf training" room on PSN, shoot me an invite. PSN is SeraphisCain.

That was me. Going to bed now though, I'll be playing this all day tomorrow.

Solune

Wow so the title screen changes depending on the time set on your ps3? Or is it random? All I know is When the Moon Reaches for the Stars started to play. SO. GADLYKE.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just noticed this little tidbit in an Amazon review:

Gameplay: The gameplay is so smooth, you don't even need the move list. It' like Marvel vs capcom, you can literally mash the buttons, I love those kind of fighting games. 5/5

I :lol'd.

LProtag

Since this is still one of my first forays into fighting games I've been sitting in training mode a lot as well as trying to do challenges.

I did 18 of Narukami's and I've been trying to practice some combos I've seen online. This is always the hardest part for me and where I've given up before. Sitting around and failing at something for like 15 minutes is a pretty big barrier to get over with a video game, haha.

Tomorrow I predict many hard grueling hours. I really want to get good.

Ken

Since this is still one of my first forays into fighting games I've been sitting in training mode a lot as well as trying to do challenges.

I did 18 of Narukami's and I've been trying to practice some combos I've seen online. This is always the hardest part for me and where I've given up before. Sitting around and failing at something for like 15 minutes is a pretty big barrier to get over with a video game, haha.

Tomorrow I predict many hard grueling hours. I really want to get good.

Make sure you can tell which combos are worth doing and which aren't, especially starting out. Get down damaging BnBs that you can reliably pull off first.

Cheska

Couldn't resist and bought the full color palette :/ And I know I'll eventually give in and buy the glasses as well.

It's so hard to choose a character to main, I like everyone's moveset and playstyle.

LProtag

Make sure you can tell which combos are worth doing and which aren't, especially starting out. Get down damaging BnBs that you can reliably pull off first.

Yeah, I'm wading through stuff.

This is the one I'd really like to pull off, but I don't think I will be able to for a while:
2A > 2B > 2A+B > {5D} > QE > 5D (5DD Hit) > 5B > 2B > 5C > 5B > 2B > 5C > 214D/Reset with 2A+B

It's the one where you get Izanagi on one side and use the quick escape/evasive action to get to the other side and hit them from both sides.

I need to find an easy BnB though, heh.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Shes not that bad, at least not on the surface. Right?

I don't know how I feel about auto combos tbh. O well.

Also, yukiko trashes personas so fast :(

Auto combos are only there to gain meter not to do big damage lol use them to gain meter then do other shit after

Maining Aigis, she is so awesome.

Story spoilers:
So who was the voice that spoke to Labrys while she dreamed? The voice sounds very very familiar, but I can't seem to peg who it is

vocab

Auto combos are only there to gain meter not to do big damage lol use them to gain meter then do other shit after

Ya, It's pretty cool how you can optimize the first 3 a's into a good starter for most of the cast.

Biggest hurdle in the game is defense. Thankfully it's a small cast. There's no way you can play against a big roster, and not get hit by something you've never seen before. Also, I pulled a win with Shadow Lab against some dude i'm playing who's learning FG's. I really thought the character would be Devo piss hard, but the Persona actually follows you, and stays behind you a lot. Probably the easiest puppet controlled character I have ever played. I mean, there's a lot of complexity there, but it's great I can play one of those characters and nto feel worthless.

Lucentto

Banned
I might just stick with Naoto. I like Labrys but she is too slow for me in this kind of game. Time to spend hours learning mudoon loops I will never do in a real match, fuck.

Ken

Ya, It's pretty cool how you can optimize the first 3 a's into a good starter for most of the cast.

Biggest hurdle in the game is defense. Thankfully it's a small cast. There's no way you can play against a big roster, and not get hit by something you've never seen before. Also, I pulled a win with Shadow Lab against some dude i'm playing who's learning FG's. I really thought the character would be Devo piss hard, but the Persona actually follows you, and stays behind you a lot. Probably the easiest puppet controlled character I have ever played. I mean, there's a lot of complexity there, but it's great I can play one of those characters and nto feel worthless.

I did like 5 challenges as S. Labrys and went back to Labrys. I guess I don't click with puppets and charge characters.

Anyone else keep getting booted out of games after a while with it saying the room was disbanded and then reloading the list and the game is still there?

Not getting any lag or any other issues on psn but this keeps happening every 7-10 games for some reason.

so basically my yukiko is free to pressure =( also I keep dropping the basic bnb with mis-inputs

GG to Q. That liar!

Overall I think I did decently for having no experience in anime fighters/ASW fighters. (except that time I got perfected....)

edit
Q give me tips to be good as you!
without changing characters =( though I might pickup mitsuru or something for yuki's bad matchups

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Played 29 ranked matches with Mitsuru today. Went 23/6 and reached C rank, so I'm quite happy for today. Saw every character used but Mitsuru and both Labrys'. About half of them were Chie. Sigh.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Loving this game so far. Beat Yosuke's story too now. I don't want to sleep, I just want to keep playing!
You should probably take a break. Wouldn't want to burn yourself and get a bad case of buyer's remorse now would you?

Yuripaw

Banned
Wouldn't want to burn yourself and get a bad case of buyer's remorse now would you?

I doubt that'll happen. I've devoted so much time to Persona 4 on the PS2. Replayed the game multiple times just so I could spend more time with the characters, and am still looking forward to the Vita version. To have a new story with these characters has been so exciting for me. ^_^

Yuripaw

Banned
How much cash/credit did you get back?

Probably not enough. This game is too awesome to sell, hehe. Also this game was sold out at my work today for PS3 and Xbox 360. I don't know how other stores were doing, but that's pretty cool to see we ran out of copies. I'm thinking it might become hard to find this month(at least locally) if the positive word of mouth keeps spreading.

kewlmyc

Liking this game a lot, will probably be the only fighter I'll try to get good at. I still need to adjust to using a stick though.

I was originally going to main Akihiko/Aigis/Yu, but Aigis's mode changes are too confusing for me so just Akihiko/Yu for me. Might try out Kanji later.

Also, even though I have a PS3, how shit is the online on 360?

Ken

Probably not enough. This game is too awesome to sell, hehe. Also this game was sold out at my work today for PS3 and Xbox 360. I don't know how other stores were doing, but that's pretty cool to see we ran out of copies. I'm thinking it might become hard to find this month(at least locally) if the positive word of mouth keeps spreading.

How many copies did your store get in?

I'm glad I got 2 (+1 Asian) copies now.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Damn, how long did you gave it for? Just a few hours?

How much cash/credit did you get back?

Sold it to a friend for $55. So all in all, I'm only taking a hit of about $10-13, after shipping and tax and whatnot. It's not like I sold it to GameStop or something. :lol I'm not THAT dumb.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Not hard to sell out when you only order four copies or so :p
Sold it to a friend for $55. So all in all, I'm only taking a hit of about $10-13, after shipping and tax and whatnot. It's not like I sold it to GameStop or something. :lol I'm not THAT dumb.
Not a bad deal at all then. Any ideas for what you might get next?

Yuripaw

Banned
How many copies did your store get in?

I wasn't there when the store opened, so I wasn't sure how many we started with, but my friend told me we sold through quite a few before I got there. There were still 2 PS3 copies (one of them was mine), and 3 Xbox 360 copies when I got there. We went through them all while I worked. I know we probably didn't get like dozens of copies, but it's still impressive for my location to sell them all like that.

I'm not a real hardcore fighting game player, but I do get the feeling that this game would play a lot better with an arcade stick. I've been using a fight pad, and while the stick on the pad works fine, pressing buttons with my thumb does not feel like the ideal way to be playing this. Which is weird for me, because I'm not usually one of those people who goes deep with that kind of thing.

Really want to pick this up, being a fan of both Persona and ArcSys fighters, but I'm just too low on cash at the moment to justify it. Plus I wanna wait until the 360 online play issues are solved. It's so tough not being able to play, though, game looks awesome.

Top Bottom