• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Sophia

Aigis is harder to play than other characters, methinks. But damn does it feel so good when you win with her.

It's not really expecting the wins, I think. It's more "expecting same skill level." Getting completely owned by someone with 0 PSR plus a C+ kinda gets old fast.

Man I wanna know who you're playing. I've never even encountered that. :\

Hex

Banned
It's not really expecting the wins, I think. It's more "expecting same skill level." Getting completely owned by someone with 0 PSR plus a C+ kinda gets old fast.

There will always be people that can spend hours and hours doing nothing but practicing since the game came out and they will have hundreds of online games in before most have twenty five.
Do not let that hold you back, spend time in practice mode and definitely in challenge mode and then in more casual rooms made by friends and gaffers.
It will pay off not just with this game, but with future fighting games you try.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Anyone see a video tutorial explaining shit to noobs besides the too fast/too easy tutorial? I can hit the commands it asks but remembering 5-10 different things I have no idea when/where to use them is leaving me thinking I should just sell this when I get through story mode.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There will always be people that can spend hours and hours doing nothing but practicing since the game came out and they will have hundreds of online games in before most have twenty five.
Do not let that hold you back, spend time in practice mode and definitely in challenge mode and then in more casual rooms made by friends and gaffers.
It will pay off not just with this game, but with future fighting games you try.

Hah, right. That's why I keep losing despite spending about 20-60+ hours in each fighting game I try. And losing to the same shitty "spam projectiles at you!" tactic. Just played a Yukiko that was completely wiped on the floor from me and my pressure one round. What do they do? Resort to throwing fans cheaply.

Nyoro SF said:
The game was just released, so "rank" has no meaning right now.

I guess, but it's still bullshit as a F- 10 PSR person playing C+ 0 PSR players that are level 1 to my level 2. :|

depths20XX

You're playing the game on day 1, there's gonna be good people at 0 PSR and bad people at 0 PSR.

Give the online ranks time to balance out and hit the training/challenge story mode, learn the game.

remz

Hah, right. That's why I keep losing despite spending about 20-60+ hours in each fighting game I try. And losing to the same shitty "spam projectiles at you!" tactic. Just played a Yukiko that was completely wiped on the floor from me and my pressure one round. What do they do? Resort to throwing fans cheaply.
Learn how to deal with it, practice a counter then next time it happens kick some ass. Times can get rough in these games but for almost every cheapass strategy there's a way to counteract it. You just have to acknowledge these situations and react appropriately. Easier said then done I know, especially with the pressure of thinking quickly, and the frustration of playing online.

but basically, stress less and keep at it.

AnFox

Hah, right. That's why I keep losing despite spending about 20-60+ hours in each fighting game I try.

You know if you want to try getting better, you'll need to spend even more time playing than that. I'd say on average spend about 30mins in training mode whenever you have time just practicing movement, combos and punishment

LegatoB

That's kinda what Yukiko does. Block and move in. Remember that you can roll (A+C) through projectiles if you time it right. Even if you have to block some projectiles and can't advance as much as you'd like at one go, keep calm and keep moving. You'll get it.

On the first week? And I had some history with this guy before... only goes for the top tier characters, yet never levels up, and then bitches and moans to whoever gives him a ride back to his place about how it wasn't his fault that he went 0-2.

Well yeah, even early in the game's life. Even top players from other games will go forwhat dominates right away sometimes when getting familiar with a new game. Nothing wrong with that. That the guy in your case never learns is another problem entirely.

I just don't like the extreme opposite mindset against so-called "tier-whores" because that's how shit becomes absurd and even when you try and get serious about the game because you're interested you end up not knowing what you should. Like how in my area back when we had KOF XIII 1.1 and barely any of us knew how to deal with K' and Raiden because hardly anyone actually played them. That was just dumb in retrospect.

EVOL 100%

Just played a Yukiko that was completely wiped on the floor from me and my pressure one round. What do they do? Resort to throwing fans cheaply.

That's called zoning and it's a viable strategy.

Seriously though, if you want to get decent in fighting games you have to throw tons of time and dedication.

Nyoro SF

If I was destroyed by rushdown in the first round, I would definitely resort to projectile tactics to keep fighters at bay.

Everyone who has seen what Yu, Chie, Kanji or Akihiko can do once they are close will feel pity for all who try to keep them away.

Onemic

I guess, but it's still bullshit as a F- 10 PSR person playing C+ 0 PSR players that are level 1 to my level 2. :|

Why aren't you in training mode? I'm guessing you're mostly just jumping into online matches? You won't learn that way if you don't even know how to properly use your character.

I started playing SF4AE in April and I'm 4 years behind in that game. At first I tried playing ab bunch of online matches and got my ass handed to me even by shitty players. The only way I was finally able to get some wins was to lose the ego and just stay in practice mode. Granted I still suck, but training mode is where you'll level up in pretty much most situations and I've gotten immensely better at the game doing so.

lol...why are people expecting to know what they're doing the day after the game came out?

I'd say your problem is thinking there are shitty tactics instead of tactics you don't know how to get around yet. I haven't seen anything I'd consider "cheap" in this game at all. Don't label something as such just because you don't know how to counter the strategy.

This too. It happens to all of us, but soon you realize it isn't really a cheap tactic but something you haven't learned how to beat yet. (DP mashing is a perfect example of this) Learn to beat it and then you begin to wonder why it was causing you problems in the first place. If there's a tactic being used against you that you don't know how to counter just ask and then replay that situation using the recording feature in training mode, so you'll know how to properly anticipate and counter that tactic.

Skilletor

lol...why are people expecting to know what they're doing the day after the game came out?

I'd say your problem is thinking there are shitty tactics instead of tactics you don't know how to get around yet. I haven't seen anything I'd consider "cheap" in this game at all. Don't label something as such just because you don't know how to counter the strategy.

Zeal

Banned
I know more playable characters will probably come as downloadable content (duh), but I would love to have seen some unlockable MegaTen favorites.

Raidou would be godly:

blogger+raidou.jpg

Along with other no brainers:

Jack-Frost5.png

Ultra epic easter egg character:

persona19.jpg

TheSeks

That's kinda what Yukiko does. Block and move in. Remember that you can roll (A+C) through projectiles if you time it right. Even if you have to block some projectiles and can't advance as much as you'd like at one go, keep calm and keep moving. You'll get it.

The same bullshit as Cody in SSF4, it's stupid. No matter how much I time it I can't ever break their fireball spam. :|

AnFox said:
You know if you want to try getting better, you'll need to spend even more time playing than that. I'd say on average spend about 30mins in training mode whenever you have time just practicing movement, combos and punishment

Done that. Still get owned by projectile spam even if I time going through one, I get hit by another because they're CONSTANTLY spamming fireballs. :|

Gone to SRK meet-ups, same shit just with smug elitist asshats.

jorgeton

I know more playable characters will probably come as downloadable content (duh), but I would love to have seen some unlockable MegaTen favorites.

Raidou would be godly:

blogger+raidou.jpg

I would gladly pay extra for Raidou. And I don't do DLC characters.

Onemic

The same bullshit as Cody in SSF4, it's stupid. No matter how much I time it I can't ever break their fireball spam. :|

Done that. Still get owned by projectile spam even if I time going through one, I get hit by another because they're CONSTANTLY spamming fireballs. :|

Replicate the situation using the recording feature in training mode. Honestly 90% of your time right now should be in training mode, not playing matches. Do you know any BnB's? Do you know your good pokes? Do you know how to space properly and get in? Movement/dashes/rolls etc? All this should be done in training mode.

I can make a room if you're on PSN.

Sophia

Raidou would be godly

Raidou is probably out of the question, given he's in Soul Hackers 3DS.

This is entirely your fault for letting her get range on you. Dodge her fans, roll out of dangerous zone abilities, time your attacks to break her Persona. Yukiko's entire gameplay is about zoning you. If you counter her zoning attempts and get her Persona broken, you've effectively won the match.

Barring the discovery of an infinite or something stupid, there's no such thing as a "shitty tactic." Infact, I'd give that Yukiko player much praise. They found what is a blatant weakness in your gameplay and exploited it for victory.

Replicate the situation using the recording feature in training mode. Honestly 90% of your time right now should be in training mode, not playing matches. Do you know any BnB's? Do you know your good pokes? Do you know how to space properly and get in? Movement etc? All this should be done in training mode.

I can make a room if you're on PSN.

I disagree with the 90% of your time in training mode deal, however, replicating the Yukiko scenario and figuring a way around it for future fights is an insanely good idea.

Nah dude, you're just too impatient.

This game has blocking, instant blocking, semi-invincible dashes, super jumps, double jumps, and air dashes. There's definitely a way around zoning.

But you're not going to find it if you give up and label it as cheap, stupid, or spam.

Chavelo

Well yeah, even early in the game's life. Even top players from other games will go forwhat dominates right away sometimes when getting familiar with a new game. Nothing wrong with that. That the guy in your case never learns is another problem entirely.

I just don't like the extreme opposite mindset against so-called "tier-whores" because that's how shit becomes absurd and even when you try and get serious about the game because you're interested you end up not knowing what you should. Like how in my area back when we had KOF XIII 1.1 and barely any of us knew how to deal with K' and Raiden because hardly anyone actually played them. That was just dumb in retrospect.

Oh, I agree. The best player here in Colorado usually goes with top tier strats (Vanilla MVC3 Dark Phoenix D: :lol). He actually got to top 32 at EVO 2012, and he (along with the rest of the Colorado Springs crew) always keeps Denver hungry. I just want people to put in the effort with these characters and show how really scary they are instead of just following tier charts and expecting to win right away.

The way I look at it, there is two types of people: great players who happen to use top tier characters, and "top-tier whores" :p

Patience is the key against people who try to zone you.

When I fought a Japanese Tager player and lost 20 times as Nu-13, he was extremely patient.

Pretty much blocking all the projectiles I could dish out until he got close and messed me up.

Rush in and you'll just get whittled down by projectiles.

If lag is your issue, then cancel matches that have 0-1 bars. That's what I do so I only play matches that have 3-4 bars, sometimes 2.

Skilletor

Well, just speaking for me, but I have no patience for players who give up and label something cheap without actually putting the effort in to get around it. Maybe that's why you think people are elitist asshats.

At this point you've had the game for a day. You haven't put in very much time at all in to it. There's a TON of shit to learn in this game. To already be calling something cheap is silly. It's obvious what the problem here is, and it isn't P4A.

I've seen you post about the FGC, and it seems to me you take on the label you're bandying about quite well.

On topic: I played a bunch last night. I normally play fast rushdown characters, almost always ninjas, but I'm really not feeling Yosuke. I think Chie and Akihiko will do the same thing as Yosuke and get more damage out of it. I especially like Chie's persona attacks acting as meaty attacks. I'll have to put some more time in with Yosuke before I drop him, though.

Really digging the game. Love everything about the presentation except the music. I really hate the music.

Mesoian

Is there a list of B'n'B's yet? I need to compare my Kanji strategy because it doesn't feel like I'm doing enough ensured damage.

I've been doing c.A,A,B,c.B,236C, 236B then figure out what to do next...but I feel like I should be able to RC that last move and restart the combo...but that doesn't seem to work...I dunno.

And his c.C comes out so slow...I know you can do some amazing stuff with it, but it seems so risky. I was doing a C, c.C,b,c.B, 236c, 214b and getting like...60-70% damage depending on who I'm fighting, but I don't know how to make that safer or more ensured, which means I can't catch faster characters.

Onemic

Raidou is probably out of the question, given he's in Soul Hackers 3DS.

This is entirely your fault for letting her get range on you. Dodge her fans, roll out of dangerous zone abilities, time your attacks to break her Persona. Yukiko's entire gameplay is about zoning you. If you counter her zoning attempts and get her Persona broken, you've effectively won the match.

Barring the discovery of an infinite or something stupid, there's no such thing as a "shitty tactic." Infact, I'd give that Yukiko player much praise. They found what is a blatant weakness in your gameplay and exploited it for victory.

I disagree with the 90% of your time in training mode deal, however, replicating the Yukiko scenario and figuring a way around it for future fights is an insanely good idea.

agree to disagree then I guess. For me as an FGC newbie of a few months most of the stuff I learned was when I decided to just stick in training mode and learn the basics. Once that's done then matches can begin to take precedent over training. With how The Seks is talking about his frustration, it really seems like a thing where he should just be chilling in training mode for a while before going into a game.

It's easy too since you can make a player match in training mode so when you're not in a match you can practice and wait for someone to join your room.

Is there a list of B'n'B's yet? I need to compare my Kanji strategy because it doesn't feel like I'm doing enough ensured damage.

I've been doing c.A,A,B,c.B,236C, 236B then figure out what to do next...but I feel like I should be able to RC that last move and restart the combo...but that doesn't seem to work...I dunno.

And his c.C comes out so slow...I know you can do some amazing stuff with it, but it seems so risky. I was doing a C, c.C,b,c.B, 236c, 214b and getting like...60-70% damage depending on who I'm fighting, but I don't know how to make that safer or more ensured, which means I can't catch faster characters.

Mayonaka is your friend.

Chavelo

For the moment:

http://mayonakamidnight.com/showthr...anji-Tatsumi-Combo-Thread-quot-GET-BENT!-quot

TheSeks

What?

It sounds like you're just refusing to adjust your gameplay.

Adjust my gameplay to what? Getting around fireballs? Jump? Dash over one, get hit by another. Block? There's another one coming.

Cody's gameplay in SSF4 has really weak fireball getting around ability. Pray you can eat a focus and then jump over another.

However here it's basically:

Win first round.

Second round resorts to fireball spam after bursting and knocking me away. Get close? Burst again, run away. Get close again? Jump over and air dash and spam fireballs again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Adjust my gameplay to what? Getting around fireballs? Jump? Dash over one, get hit by another. Block? There's another one coming.

Cody's gameplay in SSF4 has really weak fireball getting around ability. Pray you can eat a focus and then jump over another.

Win first round.

Second round resorts to fireball spam after bursting and knocking me away. Get close? Burst again, run away. Get close again? Jump over and air dash and spam fireballs again.

Time your jumps? Throw rocks? FADCs? Ex-Ruffian Kick?

Everyone has tools against zoning... some have more difficulty that others. You're not adjusting your gameplay because you're not being patient. You're so hung up on "getting in that ass" that you're running into fireballs and not thinking about what tools you have to get around them. I can appreciate the frustration associated with getting zoned out, but the onus is on YOU to change your tactics.

Others have already outlined here the number of general battle mechanics that everyone has in order to get through projectiles.

Skilletor

Win first round.

Well if you're losing, you're obviously not getting around or adjusting to it.

Sophia

Win first round.

I kinda want to play a game against you now. :p

TheSeks

Well if you're losing, you're obviously not getting around or adjusting to it.

Well, obviously.

PoorFate said:
If you're using Akihiko you can use Caesar D to pull them closer. Fireballs shouldn't hit because I'm pretty sure he appears behind you.

Tried doing that. They back dash even if I pull it quick. If I charge it, they'll just back dash while throwing a projectile. I'm not sure if it's mistiming the magnet or what, but it seems really weak compared to Tagers.

remz

Adjust my gameplay to what? Getting around fireballs?
That's precisely what you have to do, unfortunately fighting different characters requires different tactics, and you can't always play in your preferred style.

It's not unbeatable, otherwise everyone in the game would be choosing her and shooting fireballs at each other.

Uncle AJ

Liking the game so far but it's my first Arc Sys game since Guilty Gear X2 like... 10 years ago, so I'm not quite grasping the controls yet. It feels very loose and slippery; having trouble finding combos that I know will reliably link together in most circumstances, and staying mobile takes a surprising amount of dexterity.

Plus I'm just used to Marvel 3's ABCD button layout so I'm constantly mistaking B for C, D for C, and C for B. Hope I get used to it eventually.

Nyoro SF

Win first round.

Cody has fine anti-projectile tactics. He has the same lower than average arc jump as Sakura and Makoto, he also has the ability to Zonk/EX Ruffian/FA-Dash Low Short through obvious fireball barrages at mid range. Also he has his own projectile. Not many characters have that many luxuries.

Also it sounds like you're making your movement options really obvious to the opponent. You may wish to sit still and block for a moment to throw off your opponent's timing. The chip damage in this game is really really low.

EVOL 100%

Tried doing that. They back dash even if I pull it quick. If I charge it, they'll just back dash while throwing a projectile. I'm not sure if it's mistiming the magnet or what, but it seems really weak compared to Tagers.

Why don't you try a zoning character, spam fireballs and see how your opponent beats it?

I'm entirely serious. Seeing how people do it with your own eyes might help a bit.

Noi

Anyone got a lobby going on? I need to finally stretch my online legs and play other people now that I feel more confident in my Yukiko zoning.

PSN is Noisama and all that jazz.

Sophia

Anyone got a lobby going on? I need to finally stretch my online legs and play other people now that I feel more confident in my Yukiko zoning.

PSN is Noisama and all that jazz.

I have one going on right now. I'll invite.

Top Bottom