• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Um, guys?

I'm playing my friend in a lobby right now and we're on a stage where there's Noel and Ragna standing still in a background, looking all black and white. What the fuck is this shit? Pictures in a sec...

IMG_0044.jpg

Amazing.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone who is incompetent at 90% of 2d fighters but good at MK and ok at 3d fighters this game is so far over my head.

Did the tutorial but all it really did was explain 5-10 different things I would never ever remember to use during a match each with a different confusing name.

I have liked the story stuff so far but looks like I'll be selling this when I'm done unless story dlc is going to be a big thing.

Lunar15

Man, I want to be good at this game. I really love the systems, the speed, and the flashiness of it all. I just can never really get good at these kinds of games. WHELP TIME TO PRACTICE FOREVER.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
As someone who is incompetent at 90% of 2d fighters but good at MK and ok at 3d fighters this game is so far over my head.

Did the tutorial but all it really did was explain 5-10 different things I would never ever remember to use during a match each with a different confusing name.

I have liked the story stuff so far but looks like I'll be selling this when I'm done unless story dlc is going to be a big thing.
I'm interested to see how many people will end up like this. Still haven't opened my copy yet.

Getting matched up against people with 500 PSR now for some reason.

My win strategy is to hope my opponent never uses DP. Because that counters everything Yosuke does and his is kind of bad.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
From what I watched, seems alot more user friendly than GG and a hell of alot more than Blaz.
I feel the exact opposite.

The execution and leniency for combos etc. are on par or easier than other japanese 2D fighters imo, but the basic command normals/movements are throwing me off. I'm sure I'll get used to them but it's a learning curve that I feel like isn't there in other fighters.

Sophia

I feel the exact opposite.

The execution and leniency for combos etc. are on par or easier than other japanese 2D fighters imo, but the basic command normals/movements are throwing me off. I'm sure I'll get used to them but it's a learning curve that I feel like isn't there in other fighters.

I'm not sure where you're getting that. The game's basic commands are far more lenient than say SSFIV. The only learning curve is learning the systems, and those are universal to all characters, so it's not like you have to learn them 13 times. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You know what really sucks. When you rebind the keys, the challange mode buttons are not reflected to your change.

Wow that's a huge oversight on Atlus'/Arc's part, they need to patch that.

And really, I've kinda adjusted to the A/C B/D layout now.
If button mashing auto-combo erry match is what you call "adjusting."

Completed (and insta-killed in a round) with Teddie, ShLabrys, and Akihiko. Leaves the other characters to do in Arcade and maybe my connection won't be crap tomorrow morning to where I can get a few rounds in. But given the lag rounds I had (two before giving up) I doubt I'll hold my own even though I know some of Akihiko's movelist right now.

What is the point of 214C or D for Akihiko's "dodge" (or is it "roll?") move? I know 214A or B will give you a chance to counter-hit (but I can't seem to land that counter-hit since they go through that barrier on Akihiko stepping forward for a counter-hit) but haven't found the point of the C/D version.

Score Attack and "Fair" shouldn't exist in the same sentence. It's basically a gauntlet of boss versions for every character in the game, while you only play as a normal character. You have no continues, so if you lose against one, you have to restart from the very beginning. It's the equivalent of having to fight a whole bunch of SNK hard bosses, all in one go.

For reference. And that's the first fight.

Jesus, I wouldn't have minded, hell, I WANTED score attack to be harder than Extend's, but I never wished for it to be fucking replaced with Unlimited Mars D:

Um, guys?

I'm playing my friend in a lobby right now and we're on a stage where there's Noel and Ragna standing still in a background, looking all black and white. What the fuck is this shit? Pictures in a sec...

IMG_0044.jpg

loooool

I know that that's pretty much how the pirated arcade CS looks when running it on something that doesn't really fulfill the specs it needs or if you turn the bgs off somehow I can't remember, but how the hell did that even happen here? XD

B00TE

I love this game, but I need sleep and to let my hand unbreak itself haha. At the same time, got that JUST ONE MORE MATCH feelin' going. So hard to put down!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interested to see how many people will end up like this. Still haven't opened my copy yet.

As mean as it is to say I think the thread peaked in activity pre-release lol

Sophia

Btw anyone else playing with a normal Dual Shock 3?

Lots of people are. It's perfectly playable with a pad, although if you're like me, the DS3's atrocious D-Pad will probably hurt your hand after awhile.

Now the 360 on the other hand.... ugh, hope you got a fightpad or a hori pad or stick or something. ._.

Astral

Ziodyne Circle. Someone earlier suggested I should place my fingers for the input while Crouch Triangle is still going. I'd be happy to if you have a tip, as ill be trying both tomorrow.

Don't just place them. Actually DO the input on your d-pad while down Triangle is happening. Another thing, it wants you to do the Triangle version of Ziodyne not Circle. Circle Ziodyne comes out too slow.

Teknoman

Jesus, I wouldn't have minded, hell, I WANTED score attack to be harder than Extend's, but I never wished for it to be fucking replaced with Unlimited Mars D:

loooool

I know that that's pretty much how the pirated arcade CS looks when running it on something that doesn't really fulfill the specs it needs or if you turn the bgs off somehow I can't remember, but how the hell did that even happen here? XD

Midnight Channel.

Snakeyes

Ziodyne Circle. Someone earlier suggested I should place my fingers for the input while Crouch Triangle is still going. I'd be happy to if you have a tip, as ill be trying both tomorrow.

Figured it out. It's actually Ziodyne Triangle (C) as Circle (D) comes out too slow.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
As mean as it is to say I think the thread peaked in activity pre-release lol
I think a lot of people are off playing the game today instead of hanging around here. You could be right though, we'll see.

Yuripaw

Banned
Is there an ideal order for characters to play story mode in? I'm not sure who to start with, and I wasn't sure if there is a consistency throughout each character's story that it would make sense to play certain characters before others.

Deps

This game is too fun, almost brought back my carpal tunnel from playing too much, dunno how long i'll live when xbox patch is out and I can actually crack out.

Noi

Playing arcade is doing wonders to get familiar with Liz and Yukiko more than Training or Challenge mode. I'll leave learning proper combos for later and just get a hang of their normals and special moves first.

Ugh, seriously. I love going for stupid hard trophies, but even I draw the masochistic line somewhere.

I bought a stick just to play this game, yet I probably picked the one game that's just as comfortable to play on pad than on stick. Plenty of pad users around.

Edit: Elizabeth has no arcade mode plot? Booooooooo!

BlackJace

Figured it out. It's actually Ziodyne Triangle (C) as Circle (D) comes out too slow.

Don't just place them. Actually DO the input on your d-pad while down Triangle is happening. Another thing, it wants you to do the Triangle version of Ziodyne not Circle. Circle Ziodyne comes out too slow.

Ooooooh. Thanks guys. I'm actually playing on a stick, but yeah, Ziodyne Circle is way too slow.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The only learning curve is learning the systems, and those are universal to all characters, so it's not like you have to learn them 13 times. :p
Right, that's what I was talking about. No judgement on how I feel about it long term yet and there's no question I'll get used to it after a while, but it's definitely an extra hurdle to get across even if you're a fighting game veteran.

Anybody know why the vast majority of lobbies show up as 0 bar connections even though my NAT is type 2 on my PS3 and it's running in DMZ mode?

loooool

The funny thing is it happened twice. First in my match, but then I lost so my other friend played and it went to the stage AGAIN. After that it didn't come back. It's pretty much just a frozen image of Ragna and Noel as well as a lifebar with the 99 counter in the middle. I hope someone else runs into this.

I am and I must say, not really liking it. I think it's about time I get a stick.

In Blazblue, I at least did fairly well with Noel but in this game, I keep getting destroyed online. This could be because Naoto doesn't fit my playing style at all but I still want to master her.

B00TE

Lots of people are. It's perfectly playable with a pad, although if you're like me, the DS3's atrocious D-Pad will probably hurt your hand after awhile.

Now the 360 on the other hand.... ugh, hope you got a fightpad or a hori pad or stick or something. ._.

Right now I'm missing that 360 pad just because it doesn't destroy your hand like the DS3 has been. :C

vocab

What is the point of 214C or D for Akihiko's "dodge" (or is it "roll?") move? I know 214A or B will give you a chance to counter-hit (but I can't seem to land that counter-hit since they go through that barrier on Akihiko stepping forward for a counter-hit) but haven't found the point of the C/D version.

Weaving has upper body invulnerability.

C version can be held down, cannot use kill rush follow ups at lvl 0 (214c). Akihiko gradually gains meter the longer he is in this animation.

D version Akihiko move backwards slightly.

SB Version has full invulnerability and Akihiko moves backwards further than the D version.

I kind of walked away from the game for the night to clear my mind. He requires some work.

I'm guessing the 300 and 500 PSR players are Japanese? I need to face more of those.

I ended up fighting that Yu player a few more times and was becoming more acquainted with his style.

Won a few rounds too.

Decided to stop eating DP's and played more cautiously. Came pretty close.

Sophia

I am and I must say, not really liking it. I think it's about time I get a stick.

In Blazblue, I at least did fairly well with Noel but in this game, I keep getting destroyed online. This could be because Naoto doesn't fit my playing style at all but I still want to master her.

Try Chie or Yosuke.

Right now I'm missing that 360 pad just because it doesn't destroy your hand like the DS3 has been. :C

I have a MadCatz fightpad for the 360, but everyone playing on the PS3 + I don't want to pay for Live means I got it for PS3 instead. I'm almost starting to think that was a mistake. Oh well.

It's the same for me. Once I'm in a lobby though I'm good with even 1-2 bar connections.

It's the same for everyone I think. The indicator seems misleading.

Top Bottom