• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Infinite

Yeah, I'm wading through stuff.

This is the one I'd really like to pull off, but I don't think I will be able to for a while:
2A > 2B > 2A+B > {5D} > QE > 5D (5DD Hit) > 5B > 2B > 5C > 5B > 2B > 5C > 214D/Reset with 2A+B

It's the one where you get Izanagi on one side and use the quick escape/evasive action to get to the other side and hit them from both sides.

I need to find an easy BnB though, heh.

2 Narukami BnBs you have to know are:
  • 5B>2B>5C>214D - If you're too far then omit 2B. If their back is to the wall you can do 214C if you're close enough since you can link 5A after it. It acts as his best punisher as well since you can OMC 214D and do 214B>dash up (if outside the corner) 5B>5C>JBB>jB>jC>214B to maximize damage. There's a jump loop you can do as well as long as you have them in the corner which does even more damage. I can post the notation for it if you want.
  • 2A>2A>5B>2B>2A+B - Basically hit confirm into sweep to start the 5D oki afterwards. If you are in 2B range sweep will always hit so you can actual hit confirm this without the jabs.

One thing you have to recognize with this character is your spacing on his normals since that greatly effects what you're able to combo.

Volcynika

My brain is having trouble going from BlazBlue to this (just in terms of going from one ASW fighter to another), considering how the ABCD buttons are organized. May have to change the inputs!

zlatko

Banned
Game is fuck awesome!

I have it on 360 and got in about 20 matches last night. The only lag I experienced was at the start of matches for the first 4-5 seconds sometimes. The rest ran baby silk smooth for me. I'm sure I'm not the majority in having that experience, but this is not on KOF 12 levels of bad by any means.

Yosuke is awesome! So is Naoto. Akihiko seems a bit more complex than I thought he'd be.

alstein

Mitsuru made the game less frustrating. I try not to tierwhore, but I'll make an exception this time.

That said, VF is my main game, and I suspect TTT2 or DOA5 will replace this as my sub game once they come out. I'll like those better.

I feel a bit bad, cause I think a lot of folks are giving up on this game real early for some reason- not really getting why- it's not a bad game at all.

MechaX

Does anybody know any Aigis BnBs? I'm tired of getting bodied literally all the time and I really don't want to just end up selling the game.

Curufinwe

I'm not a real hardcore fighting game player, but I do get the feeling that this game would play a lot better with an arcade stick. I've been using a fight pad, and while the stick on the pad works fine, pressing buttons with my thumb does not feel like the ideal way to be playing this. Which is weird for me, because I'm not usually one of those people who goes deep with that kind of thing.

My last two fighting games before P4A were SC 2 and Tekken 3, but I bought a stick just for this game and I do like being able to have four fingers on the four buttons.

But I'm not sure if having my index and middle finger on the top two buttons and my thumb and ring finger on the bottom two buttons is the right way to do it.

Can someone tell me what BnBs are?

BnB = Bread and Butter

Or in the world of fighting games, your go to combos. Normally the ones that you most commonly see used for a certain character by just about everybody that plays that character. In most cases it's because they're easy to perform and do good damage. In some cases, some characters have no choice and their BnB's are considered kind of hard.

BTW, is their some video guide to Akihiko yet? I know this is so soon, but man I'm confused and really need help.

Vaati

Banned
How much of the soundtrack is on the preorder CD? Is it in the same box as the game like P4? Picking mine up today after work.

Nyoro SF

If this is your first Arcsys game, or first fighting game period, I highly recommend starting with an easy character. It might feel weird not playing with the character you wanted to main at first, but it's best to ease into the mechanics with a starter character like Yu or Chie.

Characters like them were developed with the purpose of making it easier to learn the game. Most fighting games are made with characters like this included. After you get the basics down with the starter character, you will be very surprised at how easy it is to transition to the main you wanted to play.

kewlmyc

If this is your first Arcsys game, or first fighting game period, I highly recommend starting with an easy character. It might feel weird not playing with the character you wanted to main at first, but it's best to ease into the mechanics with a starter character like Yu or Chie.

Characters like them were developed with the purpose of making it easier to learn the game. Most fighting games are made with characters like this included. After you get the basics down with the starter character, you will be very surprised at how easy it is to transition to the main you wanted to play.
I'll probably main Yu for now then gradually move to Akihiko. He's fun, but I'm not that good with counter characters. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
17 rounds later, still F-
and 3 wins. Go go lag code

:lol turns to crying.gif

Buyers Remorse |OT|? Buyers Remorse |OT|.

I stopped at C or D rank yesterday with 149 PSR. Around that point you get start getting matched with players with PSR in the 300-500's, likely Japanese players.

Look forward to it, because you'll find that they really know how to utilize their character's strengths.

TheSeks

I stopped at C or D rank yesterday with 149 PSR. Around that point you get start getting matched with players with PSR in the 300-500's, likely Japanese players.

Look forward to it, because you'll find that they really know how to utilize their character's strengths.

I'm running into C+'s with 0 PSR which is pure "how the hell!?"

TheSeks

Is grade character-specific? I know PSR is, so maybe they're just not using their main. Or they played a hell of a lot of player matches.

I don't think it is if they're C+ with 0PSR.

Cheddahz

Banned
So I ended up doing around 157 challenges last night, it helped out a whole lot and I'm working on Yu's story at the moment.

Overall, I'm really loving this game, it is seriously like a Persona 4 fan's dream video game

Dantis

Overall, I'm really loving this game, it is seriously like a Persona 4 fan's dream video game

Not Persona 5? :p

I'm pretty peeved that Zen haven't announced an EU date yet. I think it'll be mid September, but good lord, I wish they'd just out and confirm it.

Onemic

Seems like all the Mitsuru combos I'm practicing aren't even practical in typical match situations.

Was practicing jDD> C Bufula> [6B]> 2B> 2DD> 4B> 2AB> B Coup for like 2 hours and tried using it on a cpu opponent and found that it pretty much doesn't work unless the opponent is really close to you and with its slower startup it pretty much never connects unless the opponent randomly decides to be close to you and stand still, which will pretty much never happen. I think I'm gonna stop looking at dustloop for combos and go to Mayonaka midnight instead. They seem to have their shit down.

alstein

Is grade character-specific? I know PSR is, so maybe they're just not using their main. Or they played a hell of a lot of player matches.

Levelling up increases your grade, it's not character specific- so it might be a good player trying a new char.

TheSeks

Loss Loss Loss Loss Loss Loss.

Now I remember why I stopped playing fighting games. :/

And even more hilarious is that I can't make a room with my username because "K" "O" "K" is in it.

EVOL 100%

Loss Loss Loss Loss Loss Loss.

Now I remember why I stopped playing fighting games. :/

And even more hilarious is that I can't make a room with my username because "K" "O" "K" is in it.

So you can actually make rooms with your name?

I wonder what's wrong with Cho-EVOL

Onemic

Does anybody know any Aigis BnBs? I'm tired of getting bodied literally all the time and I really don't want to just end up selling the game.

Why are you giving up so easily? Just keep playing man, we all start out shit. Check out Mayonaka if you want BnB's and just stick in training mode. I've literally only played one ranked match and I don't think I'll touch it again until I get at least one combo down perfectly and improved my movement.

I can make a room if you want.

TheSeks

So you can actually make rooms with your name?

From what I see, yeah. I haven't digged too deeply into the user name room cards to see if they're their actual PSN id, I just know Atlus censors mine because of those three letters.

Nyoro SF

Why are you giving up so easily? Just keep playing man, we all start out shit. Check out Mayonaka if you want BnB's and just stick in training mode. I've literally only played one ranked match and I don't think I'll touch it again until I get at least one combo down perfectly and improved my movement.

You have the correct mindset.

Anyone that jumps on online without practicing and expects wins is crazy.

mjc

I'm thinking I should play through P4 before I even try and play this, just to avoid spoilers. But do I play my PS2 copy or should I wait for the Vita one? Hmmm

EVOL 100%

And since everybody just got the game, everybody is shitty right now.

Jumping in fighting games a few months after release may be daunting, but now just practice.

ultron87

I'm thinking I should play through P4 before I even try and play this, just to avoid spoilers. But do I play my PS2 copy or should I wait for the Vita one? Hmmm

PS2 now and then when you feel like playing it again you can play Golden and revel in the fan service.

jorgeton

There's also so much content besides the online fights. I played one player match online, and dived back into story mode and challenge mode. Not touching online again until I'm way more comfortable with the game.

Also, is there any way to mute people's mics on the PS3 version? I went into a room and it felt like a talk show.

Chavelo

PersonaGAF google spreadsheet

Just in case people were looking for it.

Game is fuck awesome!

I have it on 360 and got in about 20 matches last night. The only lag I experienced was at the start of matches for the first 4-5 seconds sometimes. The rest ran baby silk smooth for me. I'm sure I'm not the majority in having that experience, but this is not on KOF 12 levels of bad by any means.

Yosuke is awesome! So is Naoto. Akihiko seems a bit more complex than I thought he'd be.

Yosuke is too fast for me too handle, haha. BTW, we're having a little gathering close to Lakewood on Thursday. You down, playa?

I am really feeling the effect of that region lock now.

That's what you get for getting Mahvel so early! :p

Sorry, bro. :(

Picking a character based on tiers is as good a reason as any.

On the first week? And I had some history with this guy before... only goes for the top tier characters, yet never levels up, and then bitches and moans to whoever gives him a ride back to his place about how it wasn't his fault that he went 0-2.

Don't do that. Combos are an advanced part of the game. You need to get close to land BnB in the first place. Learn the fundamentals of the game.

Find a reason to like the game in the first place. Do some of the story mode and check out Aigis' part. :D

TheSeks

It's not really expecting the wins, I think. It's more "expecting same skill level." Getting completely owned by someone with 0 PSR plus a C+ kinda gets old fast.

On the first week? And I had some history with this guy before... only goes for the top tier characters, yet never levels up, and then bitches and moans to whoever gives him a ride back to his place about how it wasn't his fault that he went 0-2.

This game has been out in other places long enough that there could be legit tier lists.

Your friend sounds like a scrub, but wanting to play top tier isn't what makes him one.

Top Bottom