• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Chavelo

Tomat, we get it. You've got "buyer's remorse." If you're not going to add anything meaningful to the discussion than shut it and stop trolling us.

Seriously, it's getting fucking old.

What is he trying to prove, anyway?

Bro, it's just a game. So what if people trade it in a day later? Do you pop a boner when someone does? o_O

Onemic

When I face people who I'm not sure how to beat I'll typically play safe, let go of the attack buttons and start faking them out. Like going in to attack and hopping away, whiffing a jab at far range on purpose and other things like that.

Zoners can sometimes panic when people get in close and they end up messing up and leaving themselves open.

You need to learn what moves you can use to punish people who make mistakes for your character.

Yosuke has a ton of stuff like that.

I fucking hate you fate. You're too damn good. You already know how to use Aki as well? damn it all.

AnFox

Sounds like a sinking ship in here. It's too bad considering she just set sail, you know?

zLeOj.gif

vocab

I feel like I was born with part of my brain missing. I can't adapt to the controls, nor can I do something when Its right in front of me. I walk away after 10-20 mins of trying, get a drink, and pull it off on the first try wtfffffffffffff.

Teknoman

Oh, I like the game. I just hate the stupid bullshit projectile spam that happens every 2D fighter.

Isnt there a way to dodge right through them? Finally picking up the game tonight, but looking at the OP and Akihiko's move trailer, seems like there should be a good way to counter spam.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Then it's all you and not yukiko. You already know about the tools that let you get in without taking much damage. You have to practice them in the training room,(rolls, 5d, airdashes, etc.) which you don't seem to want to do. Use that record ability and keep practicing until you get the hand of getting around them

Or just use record in training room.

Using Record won't speed-up/down the input. I can 236A236B236A all day and record that but the speed of inputs won't help with the variable like a real-match.

Poorfate said:
Zoners can sometimes panic when people get in close and they end up messing up and leaving themselves open.

The problem is getting in close to make them mess-up. Because by the time I do they have an option to get away. It's just so ugh.

Mesoian

No offense...but are you high or something?

Is it wise for me to get this attached to Elizabeth? lol I usually have poor execution in fighters and rely mostly on the basics and reading my opponents to compensate.

Can you bait Shuffle Time?

If yes, you'll be fine.

If no, swtich to someone else.

Noi

For people like TheSeks, you gotta play the right people. A friend of mine sometimes 'trains' me in that he'll do something stupid over and over to see if I can get out of it.

What you WANT is to find other Yukiko players and learn the matchup.
You WANT her to throw fans at you over and over because that's how you're gonna learn to beat her.
Fighting a Chie as Akihiko is going to be different than fighting Yukiko.

Or even better, pick up the character. (though I gotta say, almost nobody takes this suggestion. it's like its against their religion or something)

This is actually what I've been doing in the lobby right now for a few matches. Nothing but fans to see how people react to it, since it's what they're getting hit by the most.

Can you give me some pointers? (at work atm).

1) What do you do against excessive airdashing?
2) If you see an Evasive Action coming?
3) Do you use meter more on super confirms or on the EX delayable fire traps?

1. Proper spacing with the fans. 2B in particular stuffs out a lot of airdash attempts, though your best bet is to not allow the opponent to airdash at all, which I do with constant j.B's..

2. Depending on the distance, either use your fans or just dash away if the roll puts him in throw range. The former will either snuff out an attack done/force them to block, the later puts you back in Yukiko's comfort zone.

3. Honestly, this is something I don't quite implement well yet. I tend to sit on a lot of meter that I could be using on Agidyne, so for now I just stock up to use for EX Maragi and Maragidyne once awakened.

Try to get out of the loop of constant spam cheapness with jumping (PERSONA ATTACK!) air dash (PERSONA ATTACK!) roll (eat a projectile and go back to the back!), block (projectile projectile projectile projectile...).

Well, obviously they wasted their burst and I want to rush thei--PROJECTILEPROJECTILEPROJECTILEPROJECTILEPROJECTILE (because they land while I'm being sent across the room from a burst).

As a Yukiko player, I wish this was all as ridiculously easy as you're making it sound.

Nyoro SF

1. Proper spacing with the fans. 2B in particular stuffs out a lot of airdash attempts, though your best bet is to not allow the opponent to airdash at all, which I do with j.B and 5C.

2. Depending on the distance, either use your fans or just dash away if the roll puts him in throw range. The former will either snuff out an attack done/force them to block, the later puts you back in Yukiko's comfort zone.

3. Honestly, this is something I don't quite implement well yet. I tend to sit on a lot of meter that I could be using on Agidyne, so for now I just stock up to use for EX Maragi and Maragidyne once awakened.

As a Yukiko player, I wish this was all as ridiculously easy as you're making it sound.

Thank you!

Also I agree with that last statement, I'm not looking forward to being violated by Chie once I drop something online. :(

Onemic

Fuck this game. I quit ;_;

Using Record won't speed-up/down the input. I can 236A236B236A all day and record that but the speed of inputs won't help with the variable like a real-match.

The problem is getting in close to make them mess-up. Because by the time I do they have an option to get away. It's just so ugh.

It will help though. Stop making excuses and just do it. If all you're gonna do is play the same way and expect to get in without practicing and complain here when nothing goes you're way then that's the definition of insanity. Practice the game and take the suggestions people here have given you.

sixghost

With Chie, what should be my general goals during a match? I watched a few matches from a Japanese tournament, and the guy was big on comboing into knockdowns using the sweep, rather than doing more damage with other combo endings. Is this something I should be focusing on? Most of his game seemed to be getting knockdowns, then using the neutral or crouching D to irritate people during wake-up.

Seks..you are on the 360 too right?

Probably should just wait for the patch then.

Shitty lag will fuck you over everytime wit spam.

If not, just keep at it bro. Or just play the story mode and fuck online for a bit.

Don't bash your head against a wall if you don't have too, this game has enough content for you to take a long or permanent break from online.

Trust me, nothing burns you out on a fighting game faster than losing constantly to nonsense.

Also try to only play with friends or gaffers. Random dudes who are trying to always win no matter what isn't exactly the greatest training ground.

Sophia

Isnt there a way to dodge right through them?

There is. PoorFate just proved that against me, even though I was playing as Aigis, not Yukiko.

PoorFate and Noi: Gonna take this chance to break with onemic leaving. I need a stretch and cooldown after being schooled by PoorFate. XD

Great games tho. :)

Hey I was getting mauled just as bad yet I'm not giving up! :(

Although, Aigis is beastly in Origa mode. I just wish it wasn't such a pain to activate.

It will help though. Stop making excuses and just do it. If all you;re gonna do is play the same way and expect to get in without practicing then that's the definition of insanity. Practice the game.

Did I ever tell the definition of insanity? Insanity, is doing the exact same fucking thing, over and over again, expecting shit to change. That. Is. Crazy.

Mesoian

Surely there is more to it that. I highly doubt her whole gameplan hinges on Shuffle Time.

It hinges on her distance games, using her persona to keep heavy pressure on from full screen, and when they get close, baiting them with shuffle time since ST is invincible and has massive distance and gets them back to full screen.

The rest is gravy.

How does hitstun work in this game? The same moves don't seem to combo in different situations. I can tell there's some sort of juggle limit, but some links won't work off throws, etc? And you can't hit people out of the ice super after a long combo.

In/near the corner:

Sweep xx Coup Droit B, 2A 2B xx Aegis Reflector C, Sweep xx Coup Droit B, 2A

3490 damage

Pushed to 3753:
Sweep xx Coup Droit B, 2A 2B xx Aegis Reflector C, All Out Attack, Launch upwards, Getsu-ei

Better wakeup version:
Sweep xx Coup Droit B, 2A 2B xx Aegis Reflector C, B xx Sweep xx Coup Droit B, 2A xx Marin Karin
3708 damage

Esura

Banned

LOL come on at least give it a week. I'd usually quit a fighter if it doesn't click by a week and I'd go back to my regular fighters.

This auto combo system is throwing me off. I have this tendency to keep relying on it right now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I feel like I was born with part of my brain missing. I can't adapt to the controls, nor can I do something when Its right in front of me. I walk away after 10-20 mins of trying, get a drink, and pull it off on the first try wtfffffffffffff.

It's funny how muscle memory works. :p

Tomorrow can't come soon enough! I really want to play! :)

The one thing I'm not sure of is who to play as. I thinking Naoto or Brosuke just to see how they feel.

Onemic

LOL come on at least give it a week. I'd usually quit a fighter if it doesn't click by a week and I'd go back to my regular fighters.

This auto combo system is throwing me off. I have this tendency to keep relying on it right now.

The game sucks and theres nothing I can do against Aigis.

Sophia

I think he's being sarcastic. It was right after me and him got schooled pretty badly by Noi and PoorFate. XD

Noi

I'm sure Onemic is just kidding. If he quit that easilly, he wouldn't have stuck around for more than a day of BlazBlue a week ago.
KuGsj.gif

Esura

Banned
It hinges on her distance games, using her persona to keep heavy pressure on from full screen, and when they get close, baiting them with shuffle time since ST is invincible and has massive distance and gets them back to full screen.

The rest is gravy.

See, I figured it was more to it than that. Only thing that's bothering me now is her health. Eh, no rush. Taking my time with her.

B00TE

The way ranked matches are set up is too awesome. Would love this for public matches. Just pick a character and go.

Have gone full swing into Kanji mode, it's hard to play anyone else right now. Chie and Akihiko are taking a backseat for now. But man, getting in on some people. It's an awesome challenge. :D

Noi

The rest is gravy.

See, I figured it was more to it than that. Only thing that's bothering me now is her health. Eh, no rush. Taking my time with her.

Honestly, Liz is right up my alley as a zoner, but I'm still at the point where I make way too many mistakes to play as her given her low health. Maybe once I get more confortable with the game I'll give her a proper run.

First, I need to fix my nasty habit of sitting on 100-150 meter and not using it.
KuGsj.gif

I fucking hate you fate. You're too damn good. You already know how to use Aki as well? damn it all.

Kind of. His short jump height lets you get in easy j5B overheads when you get close. Plus you can mix up his A and B's pretty quickly in addition to his rush that has multiple parts to it so you can mix that up as well.

I'm not saying I'm great because I'm not, godoftennis101 kicks my ass every time.

I have experience from playing Blazblue a lot as well and that translates over to this game pretty well.

I think you guys need to work on defense more. Best way to nullify an opponent's combo is to block everything. When I face someone who combo's me a lot. I will eventually shift to a completely defensive mode where my only focus is on blocking their high/low mixup. Because if I can't do that then i have no chance of counter attack.

Yosuke is the kind of character that can keep up constant harassment, but if I can't keep up my defense at the same time I need to back off and re-evaluate how I play the rest of the match.

I wish I had some replays to show you how I do it. It's very much learning your opponent's behaviour. Once they see they can't hit you or their ranged options aren't doing anything because you block/dodge everything then they will be forced to change up their tactics which usually involves close ranged options.

Also for people who DP you, do the exact same combo except drop it where they usually DP you. Works most of the time until they catch on, but matches are usually short enough where people won't catch on to you dropping combo's intentionally to bait DP's unless you did it often enough in the first round.

vocab

it's way too early to give up. There is way too much to learn. I almost won three in a row in ranked, and I barely started to implement real big damage combos into my game. I think defense is so damn important in this game, and that is something that will take time.

Ya, the yukiko shit kinda is annoying. She can fuck you up pretty bad, plus she has fire traps. Probably one of akhiko's harder match ups.

Nope. PS3. 0 bars that are good one game, ass the next. 1 bars that are okay. Never seen any 2-3 bars.

I've seen a few 3. I dunno what the zero bar shit is about. They might need to patch it.

Esura

Banned
Honestly, Liz is right up my alley as a zoner, but I'm still at the point where I make way too many mistakes to play as her given her low health. Maybe once I get more confortable with the game I'll give her a proper run.

First, I need to fix my nasty habit of sitting on 100-150 meter and not using it.
KuGsj.gif

You should stick with her regardless. Get comfortable with her and slowly grow and adapt to her.

I never really liked the idea of going to an easier character first then going back to the harder character later.

Sophia

I've seen a few 3. I dunno what the zero bar shit is about. They might need to patch it.

The latency indicator is completely useless. I was playing Noi who was coming up as 0 bars, yet our games were lag free outside of the intro.

B00TE

So those of you playing Naoto, do you rush down or try to zone? I feel zoning in this game is daaaaamn hard to do.

My brother plays her and zones. If they get in close, he kicks them back or traps them. Can't comment on how hard it is to do though. He picked it up fast though...

Noi

You should stick with her regardless. Get comfortable with her and slowly grow and adapt to her.

I never really liked the idea of going to an easier character first then going back to the harder character later.

Oh, I'm sticking with Yukiko anyway, don't worry about that. I stuck to Nu/Lambda in BlazBlue since day one CT and have had a couple of subs that I picked up and dropped along the way, I'd just like to at LEAST learn one more character for this game for variety's sake, even if they both involve zoning.

The latency indicator is completely useless. I was playing Noi who was coming up as 0 bars, yet our games were lag free outside of the intro.

The biggest reason why I love Arcsys titles. Since I'm from Puerto Rico, nearly every other online game has me suffer some degree of lag, but I can play these games with anyone in the world with little to no problem~

So those of you playing Naoto, do you rush down or try to zone? I feel zoning in this game is daaaaamn hard to do.

I tried her out for a while and love her gun options, but needing to cancel every single Aim attempt can get really tiring. That and I'm pretty bad at laying down traps.

Sophia

The biggest reason why I love Arcsys titles. Since I'm from Puerto Rico, nearly every other online game has me suffer some degree of lag, but I can play these games with anyone in the world with little to no problem~

Huh, well maybe the latency indicator isn't broken. It's probably just set to a horribly low threshold for what constitutes zero bars.

Late, but you can record at three different patterns, or speeds, and have it play on random repeat.

Did somewhat better today online, won 2/3 against this guy! To me that's improvement since I don't play fighting games :p but I still don't know who to main.. Either chie or teddie...

Mesoian

Did somewhat better today online, won 2/3 against this guy! To me that's improvement since I don't play fighting games :p but I still don't know who to main.. Either chie or teddie...

If you can get good with Teddie, you'll have an advantage. He's not really being used a lot and he has a lot of crazy random mixups.

Esura

Banned
Oh, I'm sticking with Yukiko anyway, don't worry about that. I stuck to Nu/Lambda in BlazBlue since day one CT and have had a couple of subs that I picked up and dropped along the way, I'd just like to at LEAST learn one more character for this game for variety's sake, even if they both involve zoning.

Hell yeah! Usually my secondaries to my main Noel.

Originally, before I played I just knew it was going to be Chie as my main but I've been taking a shine to other characters, particularly Yukiko, Elizabeth, and Aigis.

Shito

Speaking of D whip, here's my midscreen BnB for corner press:

DD, B 2B xx Aegis Reflector C, Sweep xx Coup Droit B

25%
Hmm, you can probably add a 6B between the Bufula C and the Sweep -- or does it scale damage and make it less interesting in the end?
Gonna have to try that later, instead of this long-ass 3100k SBO combo off an anti-air 5A...

Top Bottom