• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

I'd like to play some people here sometime.

Please forgive how my game will devolve into frantic mashing at random points.

Are you on 360 and suck? I'm on 360 and I really fucking suck right now. And my fear is that playing anybody who knows what they're doing will just crush me and make me want to quit. So I better stick with low tier GAF. I'm still in the process of learning to hit the right buttons and move around the stage correctly, that's how ass I am right now.

zlatko

Banned
I am dildos at this game and will be on tonight around 6:30PM-10:30PM Mountain time in the USA.

GT: Outlaw Slevin

Just send a message saying you are from GAF, and we are in there.

LProtag

Are you on 360 and suck? I'm on 360 and I really fucking suck right now. And my fear is that playing anybody who knows what they're doing will just crush me and make me want to quit. So I better stick with low tier GAF. I'm still in the process of learning to hit the right buttons and move around the stage correctly, that's how ass I am right now.

Sorry, PSN.

I think someone invited me in a room but it failed, sorry!

Defunkled

Christ, I've been banging my head against Yosuke's 19th Challenge (Moonsault + Crescent Slash x3) for the last 45 minutes. How did you guys do it?

zlatko

Banned
Christ, I've been banging my head against Yosuke's 19th Challenge (Moonsault + Crescent Slash x3) for the last 45 minutes. How did you guys do it?

Watch the demonstration. The first crescent has to be input as low to the ground as possible and the ones after have to be input extremely quickly.

Defunkled

Watch the demonstration. The first crescent has to be input as low to the ground as possible and the ones after have to be input extremely quickly.

I've been watching the Demonstration and I'm trying to copy it as close as possible. My second Crescent Slash never connects and I'm inputting my commands as fast as possible.

zlatko

Banned
I've been watching the Demonstration and I'm trying to copy it as close as possible. My second Crescent Slash never connects and I'm inputting my commands as fast as possible.

Make sure to reset it after each try with select button so you get the same spacing everytime, or try putting the CPU in the corner. I don't think the different button versions do anything different for the CS, but if they do make sure you are doing the one it prompts on the screen.

I just did it hella fast, and made sure the first one hit low though. Got it on my third try.

Story mode ending:

Does anyone recognize the hacker's voice? That cliffhanger ending, it really does set up Persona 5, doesn't it?

Cheddahz

Banned
488340_4054108125099_928550660_n.jpg

Defunkled

Make sure to reset it after each try with select button so you get the same spacing everytime, or try putting the CPU in the corner. I don't think the different button versions do anything different for the CS, but if they do make sure you are doing the one it prompts on the screen.

I just did it hella fast, and made sure the first one hit low though. Got it on my third try.

Got it! Thanks for the help. Also, how do you get higher in the middle of air combos? I can't seem to finish some of these combos without falling out of range.

LProtag

Alright, alright, I'm at a little bit of an impasse.

Not sure what I should focus on, this is my first time playing a fighting game besides just mashing (or at least, trying not to). Should I focus on just using normals/specials and learning the game by playing matches, or should I be in training mode trying to learn how to combo? I really can't get the timing down for a lot of the combos I'm seeing online, I can only do something like 2B>5B>5C>214D for Narukami and I can never pull it off in a match.

Just want to figure out what to focus my time on so I can become better.

Esura

Banned
Story mode ending:

Does anyone recognize the hacker's voice? That cliffhanger ending, it really does set up Persona 5, doesn't it?

I doubt that would be a Persona 5. I bet you it'll be some Arena 2 or something.

EDIT: Forgot tags...sorry....

zlatko

Banned
Got it! Thanks for the help. Also, how do you get higher in the middle of air combos? I can't seem to finish some of these combos without falling out of range.

Depends on which trial you are doing, but I'm guessing it's one of his Jump B, down + B, then jump B, into another down +B ?

All you do is when you get the down + B to hit is double tap up quick so you perform another jump in the air.

CSX

*Does combo in challenge mode*

*forgets combo for arcade/training mode*

and having special movements tied to the attack buttons is blowing my mind lol

Yukiko is pretty awesome.

Although i have been saying with almost everyone after beating their arcade mode.

But still might be the first zoner character that I can sort of use.

Then again the A.I tends to run into shit.

Onemic

Everyone either plays Chie or Yukiko, it's driving me crazy!

gg to onem1c. I need to stop pressing 6C in the combo because it doesn't combo

gg, I was fucking up my dash the entire set. I really have to practice dashing and airdashing on the fly. Would have played longer but I was just resorting to stupidness instead of trying to practice my combos. Something about your player match win ratio being recorded makes me want to focus on winning rather than practicing strategies and combos in friendlies. I finally got my j.D combo I've been practicing since this morning and the 2AAAxxcoup. Now for some corner and 5D combos.

They seem pretty easy to grasp. Chie especially.

It may seem like they are just mashing but her autocombo can lead into some tricky shit.

and with DP like Yu's taking health, flowcharters have to go elsewhere lol.

zlatko

Banned
Alright, alright, I'm at a little bit of an impasse.

Not sure what I should focus on, this is my first time playing a fighting game besides just mashing (or at least, trying not to). Should I focus on just using normals/specials and learning the game by playing matches, or should I be in training mode trying to learn how to combo? I really can't get the timing down for a lot of the combos I'm seeing online, I can only do something like 2B>5B>5C>214D for Narukami and I can never pull it off in a match.

Just want to figure out what to focus my time on so I can become better.

The road to getting good at anything is a long one and will require patience plus tons of time on your end to put into it.

You have so much to cover to learn that there's really no wrong way to go about it. If you are using a controller, first thing I would check is how consistent your execution is. Can you do 50 quarter circle foward + button in a row without missing one to make the move come out for your character? On both sides of the screen? If so, then you're probably up to snuff on execution. If you suck and can only do like 4 then the 5th is botched, then it might be time to just work in training mode on getting consistent on just QCF motions, or hell if you're serious, invest in an arcade stick.

Some solid things to do to get better:

Learn to block properly. This means cross ups, high lows, etc. There's no reason to know solid combos if you can never pull them off since you are always getting opened up to be destroyed.

Learn 1-2 simple, yet effective combos that you can use as your go to's whenever you confirm a hit on someone. If right now that's AAAAAA then fine, go for it.

Learn other characters and what they are capable of. If you've never fought a Labrys, then how can you defeat one in a fight? A good work around is to just go into the training mode or challenge mode with each character and do some of the trials just to see how their moves work so you have a better knowledge of what an opponent is doing in the fight with that character.

Practice,practice,practice. If you want to do ranked for the practice go for it. Private matches? Do that. Local fight? Works too. You just need to be taking the information you will be gathering and put it to use.

Above all don't get flustered about losing. I probably lost 200 matches in a row in SF4 until I had a miracle break through to get my first win. It takes work.

Shaffield

phew, home from work and ready to grind.

I've been thinking about it all day, and decided that I'll focus mostly on Yukiko right now, but also try to get good with Yosuke so I have an option if someone is an expert at wrecking zoners.

hit me up with an invite if anybody has a lobby goin on

RS4-

Man, the worst losses I've had involved the instant kill.

I'm winning by a sizable lead, I knock them down and they do wakeup IK. And they're the ones that I can't block (Aki, Naoto)

Lolol.

Fuck.

vocab

Did akihikos challenge 30 yay. I'm really starting to get a grasp on his some of his stuff, but ya he's way more complex than I thought he was. Still got a long way to go though.

Mesoian

Man, the worst losses I've had involved the instant kill.

I'm winning by a sizable lead, I knock them down and they do wakeup IK. And they're the ones that I can't block (Aki, Naoto)

Lolol.

Fuck.

Naoto's is especially terrible since you still need to move around and those targets can still fade in on top of you.

gg, I was fucking up my dash the entire set. I really have to practice dashing and airdashing on the fly. Would have played longer but I was just resorting to stupidness instead of trying to practice my combos. Something about your player match win ratio being recorded makes me want to focus on winning rather than practicing strategies and combos in friendlies. I finally got my j.D combo I've been practicing since this morning and the 2AAAxxcoup. Now for some corner and 5D combos.

I also didn't have my pressure down =( left a lot of holes where you could 2a my persona.

edit

played a bit online (hypocrite) and I think yukiko is in disadvantage against mitsu and slab. Slab I want to say is like 7-3 since slab can just use persona skills all day without fear of a break really. Mitsu is more 6-4/5.5-4.5 due to her range and speed of her pokes. Also mitsu gets in for free with coup since yukiko can't seem to punish it on block.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm pretty sure if you dont move it doesn't kill you. Don't jump back. It's bad idea.

Correct, I think it's "crouch and don't move." It's a powerful IK if you don't know what you're doing against it, but it's basically neutered after that.

Akihiko's isn't bad either, it just has to draw you into that globe. If you have a range attack, hit him and he'll stop the attack. (Or simply get the hell away from the globe)

Snakeyes

Is it normal that I pretty much have to input down-forward, down, down-back, back for a qcb special to reliably come out? My stick has a square gate if that makes any difference.

LProtag

The road to getting good at anything is a long one and will require patience plus tons of time on your end to put into it.

You have so much to cover to learn that there's really no wrong way to go about it. If you are using a controller, first thing I would check is how consistent your execution is. Can you do 50 quarter circle foward + button in a row without missing one to make the move come out for your character? On both sides of the screen? If so, then you're probably up to snuff on execution. If you suck and can only do like 4 then the 5th is botched, then it might be time to just work in training mode on getting consistent on just QCF motions, or hell if you're serious, invest in an arcade stick.

Some solid things to do to get better:

Learn to block properly. This means cross ups, high lows, etc. There's no reason to know solid combos if you can never pull them off since you are always getting opened up to be destroyed.

Learn 1-2 simple, yet effective combos that you can use as your go to's whenever you confirm a hit on someone. If right now that's AAAAAA then fine, go for it.

Learn other characters and what they are capable of. If you've never fought a Labrys, then how can you defeat one in a fight? A good work around is to just go into the training mode or challenge mode with each character and do some of the trials just to see how their moves work so you have a better knowledge of what an opponent is doing in the fight with that character.

Practice,practice,practice. If you want to do ranked for the practice go for it. Private matches? Do that. Local fight? Works too. You just need to be taking the information you will be gathering and put it to use.

Above all don't get flustered about losing. I probably lost 200 matches in a row in SF4 until I had a miracle break through to get my first win. It takes work.

Thanks. I have a stick because I've tried to play SF4 and Marvel before, but I'm really enjoying this game a lot more than I did those two already. I can beat some lower ranked players because I have an idea of how I'm supposed to play the game, but my execution to do that just isn't up to par. I am relying on autocombo a lot though, haha. I think I'll stick with that and the really basic 2B combo I can do in training mode because 2B is a great move for Narukami and I find myself connecting with B a lot more than A.

Would you suggest playing against the computer and just practicing blocking?

I just won online with Yukiko and I feel bad about it.

fans are the new icecars

You know nothing about my lightning car spam.

Skilletor

Is it normal that I pretty much have to input down-forward, down, down-back, back for a qcb special to reliably come out? My stick has a square gate if that makes any difference.

Nope. Not normal. Are you checking your inputs in training mode? Make sure you're actually hitting everything when you do the motion.

branny

Been playing my copy. The fighting engine is very fun. This is the closest game out there I've played to Arcana Heart.

And, yeah, Yukiko is like CT Nu-13 mixed with Maori from AH.

Hmm, you can probably add a 6B between the Bufula C and the Sweep -- or does it scale damage and make it less interesting in the end?
Gonna have to try that later, instead of this long-ass 3100k SBO combo off an anti-air 5A...

You probably can, but the ranges are weird, and you have to absolutely hit the B before they land.
How does hitstun work in this game? The same moves don't seem to combo in different situations. I can tell there's some sort of juggle limit, but some links won't work off throws, etc? And you can't hit people out of the ice super after a long combo.

Better wakeup version:
Sweep xx Coup Droit B, 2A 2B xx Aegis Reflector C, B xx Sweep xx Coup Droit B, 2A xx Marin Karin
3708 damage

Just pushed it again, you can finish it with a 2B after the last Coup Droit instead of 2A because you hit them higher out of the ice. 3732 damage.

I honestly don't think fans are what make yukiko annoying to fight. Its more like the pressure she can keep on you with her persona while from mid screen.

Yeah I'm not good/smart enough to get tat part of this game going yet but yeah some tricky/awesome stuff can come from that.

Yukiko can kick your ass for free....and not even move.

Top Bottom