• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why don't you try a zoning character, spam fireballs and see how your opponent beats it?

I'm entirely serious. Seeing how people do it with your own eyes might help a bit.

Done that in numerous fighters. Tried doing the counters (roll/focus/jump) and while in training mode you can get a timing down, in actual player matches you can't. There-in the issue. In a player match they're going to constantly spam them at you with various timings and getting past that timing is damn near impossible to me to where I just put the controller down and go outside because there's no point sitting there blocking for 20 seconds to get in close, get burst, and then have to block for another 20 seconds.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Spent most of last night in Challenge mode just trying to get a feel for the fighting engine. I think I finished around 200-220 of them or so. Did a few arcade matches against the CPU after just to mess around before calling it a night.

Chie really is a poor man's Jam. Glad I went with my Yukiko/Mitsuru decision, since the full awesome of Ms. Kuradoberi hasn't been translated over.

LegatoB

Done that in numerous fighters. Tried doing the counters (roll/focus/jump) and while in training mode you can get a timing down, in actual player matches you can't. There-in the issue. In a player match they're going to constantly spam them at you with various timings and getting past that timing is damn near impossible to me to where I just put the controller down and go outside because there's no point sitting there blocking for 20 seconds to get in close, get burst, and then have to block for another 20 seconds.
Yeah, that's kind of... exactly how you have to play some matchups. Especially Akihiko vs. Zoning. You defend properly while you gain your ground, and then you blow them apart once you're in. It's okay if it takes you a while, because the more patient player will win these encounters. And if you know they're going to burst as soon as you do get in, try baiting it out: cut your string short when you think they're going to break the glass, block the blowback, and then punish with another combo.

Noi

Goddamn, onemic. That was intense.

Sec, we had a random joiner cuz it was public. Friend me, PSN same as my GAF username, and I'll get you in after the next match.

Make a new lobby with max players and max private slots. It's the only way to play!

TheSeks

Yeah, that's kind of... exactly how you have to play some matchups. Especially Akihiko vs. Zoning. You defend properly while you gain your ground, and then you blow them apart once you're in. It's okay if it takes you a while, because the more patient player will win these encounters. And if you know they're going to burst as soon as you do get in, try baiting it out: cut your string short when you think they're going to break the glass, block the blowback, and then punish with another combo.

But see: What good is sitting there blocking going to do when they're CONSTANTLY (and I mean CONSTANTLY, no breaks) throwing fireballs at you? Roll through them, sure: Then get hit by another one and then you're back at the back of the screen again blocking to try to wait for them to stop.

I can wait, but that means I'm taking chip damage with 40 seconds left on the clock only to get back in, bait a burst (get hit by the burst because the netcode has input lag) and then time-out from fireball spam again.

Shito

You have to learn their timing: more often than not those players repeat the same pattern over and over. Yeah, this pattern is different for each zoning player you'll have to face, but sit down, guard their projectiles, and observe their patterns. Once you have this down, approach them, take the life lead, and go back to the other side of the screen and camp them out. Usually there's not much they can do, and they'll either time-out doing nothing, or die trying to rush you out (which is not something they know how to do).
Of course, this is all for those random low-grade zoner players; for a good one, well, you'll need a lot more patience and skill than that... :D

Sophia

But see: What good is sitting there blocking going to do when they're CONSTANTLY (and I mean CONSTANTLY, no breaks) throwing fireballs at you? Roll through them, sure: Then get hit by another one and then you're back at the back of the screen again blocking to try to wait for them to stop.

I can wait, but that means I'm taking chip damage with 40 seconds left on the clock only to get back in, bait a burst (get hit by the burst because the netcode has input lag) and then time-out from fireball spam again.

You shouldn't be worrying about chip damage when you're at the start of a match o_O;

And even less so with Akihiko.

BTW ,want in on this GAF lobby, TheSeks?

TheSeks

You shouldn't be worrying about chip damage when you're at the start of a match o_O;

And even less so with Akihiko.

It's more worrying about getting through the projectile spam than it is the chip damage. Sitting there waiting for an opening takes forever. And given the chance, they'll never let up. I played a round that was EXACTLY like I describe: Burst->Ballballballballballballballballballballballballballball... no stopping. No nothing. If I jumped? Yukiko's persona jumps out to hit me. Ball ball ball ball ball ball. Dash through? Persona attack! Ball ball ball ball ball.

*stop blocking, leave room. Grab gun and summon my own personal persona*

Sophia

It's more worrying about getting through the projectile spam than it is the chip damage. Sitting there waiting for an opening takes forever. And given the chance, they'll never let up. I played a round that was EXACTLY like I describe: Burst->Ballballballballballballballballballballballballballball... no stopping. No nothing. If I jumped? Yukiko's persona jumps out to hit me. Ball ball ball ball ball ball. Dash through? Persona attack! Ball ball ball ball ball.

*stop blocking, leave room. Grab gun and summon my own personal persona*

So don't give them that chance from the getgo? I mean, Akihiko's a rushdown character. Don't ever let them get far enough away to throw projectiles without being able to punish them for it.

BTW, PoorFate and Noi, that was an AMAZING match. :O

TheSeks

So don't give them that chance from the getgo? I mean, Akihiko's a rushdown character. Don't ever let them get far enough away to throw projectiles without being able to punish them for it.

I wasn't trying to? The burst did that?

Mitsuru is so good at meter management. Plus, I've got a 35% meterless combo now ^_^

Today's the last finals day, so I'll be able to start playing for real later!

Noi

I wish I had saved that replay now, bah. Yukiko having a close range instant kill... ARCSYS.
LLShC.gif

TheSeks should have seen the match just now to learn how to counter Yukiko.

Mesoian

Anyone got a good stream going? I need something to do at work and I'll bummed out after finding out Bob Hoskins has Parkinson's disease.

Meh, UPS lost my package with P4A in it. Amazon is sending me a replacement that will get here tomorrow but was looking forward to play this yesterday.

Ah well. Have fun all.

Sophia

I wasn't trying to? The burst did that?

If they've wasted their burst, rush their fucking asses. That means they're desperate to keep you away and you have the advantage.

Bleh, I'm not doing as good since we switched to the new lobby. Beginner mistakes ahoy.

Yukiko players tend to burst as soon as you get to them.
Use this at your advantage: bait them to it, and punish.

Calm yourself down, and try to outsmart them. This is how it's done.

Exactly. Yukiko players don't want you near them. If they burst; Bait. Punish. Rush em. Win.

Yeah, chances of winning increase over time once you start learning your opponent's tactics.

Zoning characters can't lock you down indefinitely. That's why you look for openings so you can get in or attack.

Having ranged options yourself helps as well.

I really suck at Yosuke's basic BnB though.

The timing on the B dash is so short that I consisently drop the combo leading to getting DP'd out of his moonsaults.

Onemic

Damn, poorfate is already an expert at this game.

airdash

Are you actually trying to learn how to avoid them or are you just doing the same thing expecting it to work?

Mitsuru is so good at meter management. Plus, I've got a 35% meterless combo now ^_^

Today's the last finals day, so I'll be able to start playing for real later!

As a fellow mitsuru player you must share your secrets!

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Hah, right. That's why I keep losing despite spending about 20-60+ hours in each fighting game I try. And losing to the same shitty "spam projectiles at you!" tactic. Just played a Yukiko that was completely wiped on the floor from me and my pressure one round. What do they do? Resort to throwing fans cheaply.

Read and learn.

Raiho

Neo Member
I'm bloody terrible at fighting the cpu. I'm looking forward to going 0-1000 against real people when I finally get online. : /

How does hitstun work in this game? The same moves don't seem to combo in different situations. I can tell there's some sort of juggle limit, but some links won't work off throws, etc? And you can't hit people out of the ice super after a long combo.

As a fellow mitsuru player you must share your secrets!

In/near the corner:

Sweep xx Coup Droit B, 2A 2B xx Aegis Reflector C, Sweep xx Coup Droit B, 2A

3490 damage

Noi

All my years of playing Lambda/Nu paid off (in an unrelated game.) ;_;

I think I officially hate yukiko now. Noi always running away from me makes me want to tear my hair out. Man, I need to learn how to properly space Mitsu's persona attacks so I can be good at midrange.

And I hate every character that can beat out my normals, that makes us even. :p

Onemic

I think I officially hate yukiko now. Noi always running away from me makes me want to tear my hair out. Man, I need to learn how to properly space Mitsu's persona attacks so I can be good at midrange.

Sophia

Wow, I did not mean to select Chie there. Stupid game won't let you back out once on the color select. ;_;

I'm bloody terrible at fighting the cpu. I'm looking forward to going 0-1000 against real people when I finally get online. : /

Wanna join us in our GAF P4A lobby? :D

Onemic

Could try using her D whip. I have no idea how far it goes though.

Also air dashing in without attacking can test people as well.

I do but it's usually not spaced properly so it whiffs. Gotta take her to the lab. You already know Yosuke so well!

TheSeks

Eat a Persona attack.

Are you actually trying to learn how to avoid them or are you just doing the same thing expecting it to work?

Try to get out of the loop of constant spam cheapness with jumping (PERSONA ATTACK!) air dash (PERSONA ATTACK!) roll (eat a projectile and go back to the back!), block (projectile projectile projectile projectile...).

Unless there's some hidden FIFTH option that isn't "give up because there's no way around it?"

If they've wasted their burst, rush their fucking asses. That means they're desperate to keep you away and you have the advantage.

Well, obviously they wasted their burst and I want to rush thei--PROJECTILEPROJECTILEPROJECTILEPROJECTILEPROJECTILE (because they land while I'm being sent across the room from a burst).

Infinite

Yeah Mitsuru should not be losing to zoners free imo. You gotta get more proficient with your character and I don't mean just nailing bnbs.

Onemic

Eat a Persona attack.

Try to get out of the loop of constant spam cheapness with jumping (PERSONA ATTACK!) air dash (PERSONA ATTACK!) roll (eat a projectile and go back to the back!), block (projectile projectile projectile projectile...).

Unless there's some hidden FIFTH option that isn't "give up because there's no way around it?"

Have you tried his 5D which pulls opponents into you? And like I said before go to the lab and record yukiko fireball spamming you and work on getting it.

Sophia

Eat a Persona attack.

If you're eating a Persona attack in an airdash, you're timing your airdashes wrong.

Well, obviously they wasted their burst and I want to rush thei--PROJECTILEPROJECTILEPROJECTILEPROJECTILEPROJECTILE (because they land while I'm being sent across the room from a burst).

You're being absurd now and actually pretty stupid. They will not get that many projectiles off at you unless you let them. Tech the burst, airdash back in. If you need to, use your own burst to get back into range, or use Akihiko's 5D before you airdash. Practice it in training mode if you must.

Nyoro SF

All my years of playing Lambda/Nu paid off (in an unrelated game.) ;_;

And I hate every character that can beat out my normals, that makes us even. :p

Can you give me some pointers? (at work atm).

1) What do you do against excessive airdashing?
2) If you see an Evasive Action coming?
3) Do you use meter more on super confirms or on the EX delayable fire traps?

TheSeks

Have you tried his 5D which pulls opponents into you? And like I said before go to the lab and record yukiko fireball spamming you and work on getting it.

His 5D seems way too situational and like I stated when you asked this before: It's too weak. Pull it off quickly, they'll just back-dash and then go back to spamming. Charge it (while attempting to avoid spam) they'll backdash, projectile, backdash, projectile, backdash *magnet wears off*, projectile, backdash, projectile spam start again.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Sounds like a sinking ship in here. It's too bad considering she just set sail, you know?

TheSeks

Sounds like a sinking ship in here. It's too bad considering she just set sail, you know?

Oh, I like the game. I just hate the stupid bullshit projectile spam that happens every 2D fighter.

For people like TheSeks, you gotta play the right people. A friend of mine sometimes 'trains' me in that he'll do something stupid over and over to see if I can get out of it.

What you WANT is to find other Yukiko players and learn the matchup.
You WANT her to throw fans at you over and over because that's how you're gonna learn to beat her.
Fighting a Chie as Akihiko is going to be different than fighting Yukiko.

Or even better, pick up the character. (though I gotta say, almost nobody takes this suggestion. it's like its against their religion or something)

Onemic

His 5D seems way too situational and like I stated when you asked this before: It's too weak. Pull it off quickly, they'll just back-dash and then go back to spamming. Charge it (while attempting to avoid spam) they'll backdash, projectile, backdash, projectile, backdash *magnet wears off*, projectile, backdash, projectile spam start again.

Then it's all you and not yukiko. You already know about the tools that let you get in without taking much damage. You have to practice them in the training room,(rolls, 5d, airdashes, etc.) which you don't seem to want to do. Use that record ability and keep practicing until you get the hand of getting around them

For people like TheSeks, you gotta play the right people. A friend of mine sometimes 'trains' me in that he'll do something stupid over and over to see if I can get out of it.

What you WANT is to find other Yukiko players and learn the matchup.
You WANT her to throw fans at you over and over because that's how you're gonna learn to beat her.
Fighting a Chie as Akihiko is going to be different than fighting Yukiko.

Or even better, pick up the character. (though I gotta say, almost nobody takes this suggestion. it's like its against their religion or something)

Or just use record in training room.

When I face people who I'm not sure how to beat I'll typically play safe, let go of the attack buttons and start faking them out. Like going in to attack and hopping away, whiffing a jab at far range on purpose and other things like that.

Zoners can sometimes panic when people get in close and they end up messing up and leaving themselves open.

You need to learn what moves you can use to punish people who make mistakes for your character.

Yosuke has a ton of stuff like that.

Esura

Banned

No offense...but are you high or something?

Is it wise for me to get this attached to Elizabeth? lol I usually have poor execution in fighters and rely mostly on the basics and reading my opponents to compensate.

Top Bottom