• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

zlatko

Banned
Thanks. I have a stick because I've tried to play SF4 and Marvel before, but I'm really enjoying this game a lot more than I did those two already. I can beat some lower ranked players because I have an idea of how I'm supposed to play the game, but my execution to do that just isn't up to par. I am relying on autocombo a lot though, haha. I think I'll stick with that and the really basic 2B combo I can do in training mode because 2B is a great move for Narukami and I find myself connecting with B a lot more than A.

Would you suggest playing against the computer and just practicing blocking?

You know nothing about my lightning car spam.

What people have said on here before to me about fighting against the A.I as a practice method is that it's jank ass since the AI read inputs and in general don't behave correctly enough like a real opponent would.

It is good to set the AI dummy to random block and practice confirms. You can definitely set the AI to go crazy and attack you non stop to see if it helps you out in blocking though.

Stark

Banned
Story mode ending:

Does anyone recognize the hacker's voice? That cliffhanger ending, it really does set up Persona 5, doesn't it?

Ending spoilers:

It probably does. The story is cannon and I believe that was Nyarlathotep(spelling?) from P2. I think someone had a comparison link indicating it's the same voice.

Ken

Anyone know the timing on Labrys 214AB 22A/B 5A for it to combo?

Seems like I need to delay the 5A so it hits just as 22A hits and traps them but I dunno, the combo seems to always end as 22A hits or cages them.

No one plays Labrys here. ;_;

Ending spoilers:

It probably does. The story is cannon and I believe that was Nyarlathotep(spelling?) from P2. I think someone had a comparison link indicating it's the same voice.

The Malevolent Entity is Nyarlathotep, the hacker is unknown, if I recall

Yeah I'm not good/smart enough to get tat part of this game going yet but yeah some tricky/awesome stuff can come from that.

Yukiko can kick your ass for free....and not even move.

I don't like staying full screen as yukiko. I prefer mid range where I can threaten with free mixup. Most yukiko that I have fought just want to stay full screen and get destroyed in the mirror match, especially ones that toss fans full screen (dia free heal yo).

What people have said on here before to me about fighting against the A.I as a practice method is that it's jank ass since the AI read inputs and in general don't behave correctly enough like a real opponent would.

It is good to set the AI dummy to random block and practice confirms. You can definitely set the AI to go crazy and attack you non stop to see if it helps you out in blocking though.

But the AI can teach you thinks like punish, or whats punishable. Before MvC2/3s came out on the dreamcast I learned ton from the AI. Of course there are exploitable ways to beat the AI. The point of the AI isn't to substitute as a real person but more so to use it as a way to confirm off random hits, and to learn things most opponents would not do which can lead to inspiration. I believe Justin was the one that said he learned storm/mag rushdown after seeing it done to him by the AI at CTF. Could be somebody else though.

MechaX

Why are you giving up so easily? Just keep playing man, we all start out shit. Check out Mayonaka if you want BnB's and just stick in training mode. I've literally only played one ranked match and I don't think I'll touch it again until I get at least one combo down perfectly and improved my movement.

I can make a room if you want.

Don't mind that last part. Salt has been overtaking my sense of reason pretty hard these past couple of days.

But learning BnBs would help me since I still don't really know what links to what (that, and I have no idea how to really use Athena effectively). Played four matches on ranked earlier and lost two (one Naoto player outzoned me pretty hard, and one C+ ranked Yu player got a really lucky I on me when I was one hit away from victory). The other two matches were won simply due to j.5B cross-up-into-Auto Combo shenanigans.

I don't like staying full screen as yukiko. I prefer mid range where I can threaten with free mixup. Most yukiko that I have fought just want to stay full screen and get destroyed in the mirror match, especially ones that toss fans full screen (dia free heal yo).

Hmm...I'll have to try that.

I only faced dudes who looked to rush in and they did nothing but eat fans or fire....and died.

That obviously won't help me against people who know how to roll.

I just had 3 awesome matches with Chie. So many characters that I want to use..so little time.

I love this game for that...that way If I begin to have issues I have a bunch of characters to move too.

Don't mind that last part. Salt has been overtaking my sense of reason pretty hard these past couple of days.

But learning BnBs would help me since I still don't really know what links to what (that, and I have no idea how to really use Athena effectively). Played four matches on ranked earlier and lost two (one Naoto player outzoned me pretty hard, and one C+ ranked Yu player got a really lucky I on me when I was one hit away from victory). The other two matches were won simply due to j.5B cross-up-into-Auto Combo shenanigans.

Have you tried some of the challenges? I do the challenges to get an idea what works and then modify it so that its reliable to use offline/online.

Hmm...I'll have to try that.

I only faced dudes who looked to rush in and they did nothing but eat fans or fire....and died.

That obviously won't help me against people who know how to roll.

I just had 3 awesome matches with Chie. So many characters that I want to use..so little time.

I love this game for that...that way If I begin to have issues I have a bunch of characters to move too.

against people that roll is soooooo easy to bait if you know what to do.

You can 6C and follow that with dash and if they roll they eat 2A into a combo.

If you're good at reading your opponent you can adjust the 1d 2d 3d to bait rolls.

Lastly the ghetto version is if they roll through a fan just press C if they're close enough.

Against rushdown people I almost always burst if I'm near corner so that they can't get momentum (and I'm free in corners anyways). One game I just pushed a Chie into a corner the whole game and perfected her.
she then autocombo her way to win the last two rounds in a close fashion =( fucking high/low mixup in a single move

Also I use the awakening super as a reversal because it has a shit ton of invul frames, comes out regardless if you get hit and pushes them full screen. If I see them do something stupid I firebreak and do the opposite one to bring them in. Shit is so stupid.

MechaX

Have you tried some of the challenges? I do the challenges to get an idea what works and then modify it so that its reliable to use offline/online.

I got up to 22 or so. I'm planning on revisiting them right now, because my main problem is that I picked up Naoto after playing her modes and played with her for the next 4 hours, forgetting most of Aigis's stuff.

I got up to 22 or so. I'm planning on revisiting them right now, because my main problem is that I picked up Naoto after playing her modes and played with her for the next 4 hours, forgetting most of Aigis's stuff.

you don't even have to complete them. Just look at them and get the idea that the trial is trying to teach you. All of them generally have an idea around it.

Onemic

I'd disagree in the fact that if you just learned a combo using it against the computer is really good practice as it gets you conditioned to be able to just go into it in a match. For me personally, learning a combo in the lab and then immediately going into a match and trying to use it pretty much never works. Defense is the same thing, you're not afraid of eating up dmg because you're in the lab and you can just practice for as long as you want before testing it out in a real match.

I guess if you're adept at fighting games in general you don't need to, but if you're not, practicing combos against the computer is really good to get you ready for using it in a match with little to no hiccups.

I wish the challenges showed the actual timing for the combos.

I don't understand how to get Mitsuru's basic charge attack out at the end of a combo. It doesn't seem like there's time to hold left long enough.

Begin charging as soon as you start comboing. (assuming you're doing a 5Axxcoup combo) In general though you charge it a few attacks before. Your previous attacks shouldn't change

Curufinwe

I don't understand how to get Mitsuru's basic charge attack out at the end of a combo. It doesn't seem like there's time to hold left long enough.

Hex

Banned
I'd disagree in the fact that if you just learned a combo using it against the computer is really good practice as it gets you conditioned to be able to just go into it in a match. For me personally, learning a combo in the lab and then immediately going into a match and trying to use it pretty much never works. Defense is the same thing, you're not afraid of eating up dmg because you're in the lab and you can just practice for as long as you want before testing it out in a real match.

I guess if you're adept at fighting games in general you don't need to, but if you're not, practicing combos against the computer is really good to get you ready for using it in a match with little to no hiccups.

Yeah, you need to do it over and over and over until you can hit it 99.9 % of the time from both sides.
(Which is how I will be spending all of my free game time for the near future)

vocab

You have a lot of time to charge. Practice sweep + Coup Droit. You'll get the timing really quick.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Ok GAF, add me if you wanna wipe the floor with a newb:

Jotamide - PS3 - Jotamide - Chie/Aigis

B00TE

SUDDENLY, A WILD YU ARMY APPEARED!

Baiting DP's like a boss. Pretty happy one of the guys here picked him up, I knew when I was free to grab em. Most trouble I've had so far was a Mitsuru player. So hard to get in on, but she made the mistake of trying to rush me while I was awakened. In retrospect, she totally could have baited my super though... Something to think about.

I bought the game and have been playing arcade but I am a little apprehensive at getting into the story mode as I have not played Persona 4 before (waiting for the Vita release). Will I get the story from 4 spoiled by playing the story mode or am I ok?

BTW amazing game. Love the controls and fluidity of the combat.

Akibared

I bought the game and have been playing arcade but I am a little apprehensive at getting into the story mode as I have not played Persona 4 before (waiting for the Vita release). Will I get the story from 4 spoiled by playing the story mode or am I ok?

BTW amazing game. Love the controls and fluidity of the combat.

A bit and I honestly it would be harder to enjoy without playing persona 4.

RedSwirl

It's going to take me a long-ass time to figure this game out. Couldn't even finish Arcade mode and I forgot most of the shit in the tutorial mode as soon as I left it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I would love if this would set up P5, and include characters from both 3 & 4 and The new robot girl

Only if they age a bit more. I'd like to go back to a darker Persona storyline like Persona 3. Wouldn't mind seeing it focus on college age students this time around either.

Yuripaw

Banned
Just beat Kanji's story...and eh, his story was kinda useless I felt. Really didn't serve much purpose other than to show how he got into the TV, and how stupid he still kinda is, lol.

PBalfredo

Just beat Kanji's story...and eh, his story was kinda useless I felt. Really didn't serve much purpose other than to show how he got into the TV, and how stupid he still kinda is, lol.

Yeah, but all of his interactions with Naoto are golden. Especially from her perspective in her story.

gl1tch

Neo Member
Anyone know the timing on Labrys 214AB 22A/B 5A for it to combo?

Seems like I need to delay the 5A so it hits just as 22A hits and traps them but I dunno, the combo seems to always end as 22A hits or cages them.

No one plays Labrys here. ;_;

LEVEL/MIDSCREEN/CORNER

214AB > 22A/B > 66 > 5A

1N/N
2N/N
3N/N
4Y/Y
5Y/Y

214AB > 22A/B > 66 > 5A > 5B

1N/Y
2N/Y
3N/Y