• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

FluxWaveZ

So how much health does Large Marge have?

Neat pic:
ByWdDCZIcAE2V8i.jpg:large

Shouta

Margaret is interesting to say the least. She's definitely the opposite of Liz in style. Rather than throw stuff at a distance and rely on her Persona to do stuff, Margaret has a lot of rush moves 2A, 5B, j.B, 214A or B,. That's why she has 9500 health. She has a lot of Persona cards too because that thing will get broken a lot, lol.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, and she can go from her 5B to 5A pretty quickly, which is an interesting pressure tool.

Really like her from the matches I'm playing. Have mostly been messing around in matches rather than training mode, but it seems that she doesn't have a really effective anti-air? Her 2B's pretty weird, and her 2D doesn't quite work as a reliable one.

Margaret's theme is sublime. I love Poem for Everyone's Souls mixes. I'm also digging Adachi's theme a lot.

I just started playing the original P4A a few days ago...and I am entirely too tempted to pick up Ultimax, but I think I'll wait for a sale. Haven't had this much fun with a fighting game since MK9.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but didn't the original import thread list a bunch of day one DLC like some characters or something? I take it that isn't happening in the USA version if it isn't in the OP now?

FluxWaveZ

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but didn't the original import thread list a bunch of day one DLC like some characters or something? I take it that isn't happening in the USA version if it isn't in the OP now?

No, I don't believe there was something like that in the original OP. We don't know much about all of the DLC's status for the NA release, but we do know that Adachi and Marie will be free DLC on PSN within the first week of the game's release, with Margaret releasing the week after the game comes out.

Stupid question: I can download the Adachi/Marie DLC without owning the game, right? I ask because Amazon.ca has been incredibly awful with their pre-order shipping lately, and I don't want to miss out on free DLC because Amazon decided to be their usual asshole selves and not ship my game for three weeks.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
$5 for each DLC character? Now that's more like it. I'll gladly get Margaret day 1 now.

I suppose there's no point in getting the "complete P4A Story" DLC if I already played P4A, correct? Heck, that's how much the game is on PSN at the moment.

FluxWaveZ

:/
Story mode as in presentation/gameplay wise.
Is it 99% visual novel wall-o-texts with a few fights here and there?
The last game's story mode seemed very lazy to me.

Ah. The presentation and gameplay balance is the same, with it still being represented by a VN. There's a slightly higher number of battles, with opportunities to pick who you fight with in several scenes.

The biggest change comparing this one to the last game is the fact that each character doesn't have their own individual story chapter, but it has a flowchart layout that incorporates the story as a whole, with multiple perspectives.

ZeroX03

Banned

No waiting that long, going US digital ha.

I know I was talking to someone on GAF about Arc Sys's DLC practices, so glad to see we get 2/3 characters free and the last one is only $5. And the color DLC for pre-ordering. The P4A complete story DLC condenses the first game's story into one playthrough yeah? My friend still hasn't played it and that seems like a way better option than the original slog.

FluxWaveZ

The P4A complete story DLC condenses the first game's story into one playthrough yeah? My friend still hasn't played it and that seems like a way better option than the original slog.

Actually, no, it doesn't do that. That was the common assumption before, but Episode P4A is actually the entirety of P4A's story, including every distinct character chapter.

HI gaf ..i'm actually confused since i'm hearing different conflicting information from sources that i don't trust fully so i'm kinda lost.

If i preorder P4AU , in US psn , will i get

1) the color set + adachi + marie

or

2) the color set ?

Hubb

HI gaf ..i'm actually confused since i'm hearing different conflicting information from sources that i don't trust fully so i'm kinda lost.

If i preorder P4AU , in US psn , will i get

1) the color set + adachi + marie

or

2) the color set ?

I believe the 2 characters are open season for all preorders.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Adachi & Marie are free for EVERYONE the first week on PSN & Xbox Live. Even if you don't have the game, you can still nab them and have it download or be on your download list.

However, pre-ordering from PSN gives you the Complete Color Set, along with a XMB theme. Direct quote from PSN:

Pre-order Persona®4 Arena Ultimax™ and receive an exclusive theme for your PS3™ system’s XMB™ menu screen in your download list after checking out. You'll also receive the Complete Colors DLC Pack for free (a $5.99 value). This pack includes additional colors for all 19 characters. Each character will have 8 new colors, 2 of which can only be used offline. Play on 9/30 starting midnight EST.

I believe the 2 characters are open season for all preorders.

Adachi & Marie are free for EVERYONE the first week on PSN & Xbox Live. Even if you don't have the game, you can still nab them and have it download or be on your download list.

However, pre-ordering from PSN gives you the Complete Color Set, along with a XMB theme. Direct quote from PSN:

Thanks for the answers. Much appreciated.

ZeroX03

Banned
Actually, no, it doesn't do that. That was the common assumption before, but Episode P4A is actually the entirety of P4A's story, including every distinct character chapter.

Oh damn. That's uh, time consuming. Might find my friend a YouTube condensed version to watch.

Huh... that's a lot of DLC. At least some of it (other than Adadchi + Marie) are free.

http://atlus.com/p4au/dlc/

The two DLC characters and complete colors are free. Will pay for Margaret, won't bother with the glasses and maybe snatch a few BGM packs. The rest of the stuff is mostly just expedited unlockables by the looks of it. Pretty happy for $10-15 extra.

Is there any consensus on which storyline to play through first? My assumption is P3 first and then P4 (so things end with Yu) but I don't want to mess up the larger story finish.

This is also assuming the DLC campaigns are total offshoots and something you'd play after both but that feels like a much more safe bet. Side-note; I see there's a $9.99 DLC to get the full story of the first game. Good to know and I might convince a few people into buying this if they don't have to ever touch the first one separately.

FluxWaveZ

Is there any consensus on which storyline to play through first? My assumption is P3 first and then P4 (so things end with Yu) but I don't want to mess up the larger story finish.

You can't play through Episode P3 before playing through Episode P4. The only episode available from the start is Episode P4.

You also can't play through Episode Adachi before finishing Episode P4. That episode actually does explain several things that happened in the story that are not covered in episodes P3 or P4.

You can't play through Episode P3 before playing through Episode P4. The only episode available from the start is Episode P4.
Interesting. I'm sure there's a good reason for it written in to the story but that's certainly not what I would have expected. Whatever. Just give me more Mitsuru and all will be well in the world. Thanks for the info!

Dantis

Jeepers. I wonder what the T shirt is? If they do it right, it could be excellent.

Nope

If anything Episode P3 and P4 contradict each other outside the major plot points

Do they really? That's rather silly.

I'll be interested to see what the consensus for Ultimax's story is a few months down the line. People were really positive on Arena's at first, but that faded over time. I only see negative things about it now.

Do they really? That's rather silly.

Yeah it's like, in the P4 story the first interaction of the P3 cast with the P4 one is different than how it happens in the P3 story, or how one set of characters rescue Akihiko in the P4 story while a similar but slightly different one does it in the P3 story.

Stuff like that

Rhapsody

Banned
It's weird, usually I don't mind VNs with different routes that aren't coexisting, but for some odd reason it bothers be a little in P4U.

FluxWaveZ

It's weird, usually I don't mind VNs with different routes that aren't coexisting, but for some odd reason it bothers be a little in P4U.

It was a total mess in P4A, but I'm fine with it in P4AU because of how the story works, and because they give us a better indication of what route actually happened in the story. In this game, it's more about different perspectives based on the episode instead of P4A's "going through the same events again, but with a different character."

FluxWaveZ

getting this on 360, is the netcode good? sizable community expected?

Netcode is good, although there have been some weird, infrequent disconnection issues recently, especially during this weekend where I presume PSN as a whole was going through some weird stuff.

Do not expect a sizable community for the 360 version, though perhaps that platform's community will subvert expectations. Note: The Xbox 360 version will not have the network Lobby mode that the PS3 version has.

Tesseract

Banned
Netcode is good, although there have been some weird, infrequent disconnection issues recently, especially during this weekend where I presume PSN as a whole was going through some weird stuff.

Do not expect a sizable community for the 360 version, though perhaps that platform's community will subvert expectations. Note: The Xbox 360 version will not have the network Lobby mode that the PS3 version has.

guess i'll pass then, thanks!

Top Bottom