• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind music as DLC. They're not going overboard like King of Fighters/Atelier series.

This. Are you guys new to fighting games? While it's unfortunate, Capcom, SNK, and everybody else have been doing it for years. I'm ecstatic already that Marie and Adachi are free for the first week and Margaret is only $5.

Nyoro SF

This. Are you guys new to fighting games? While it's unfortunate, Capcom, SNK, and everybody else have been doing it for years. I'm ecstatic already that Marie and Adachi are free for the first week and Margaret is only $5.

Do you think this is an acceptable excuse? "Everyone else is doing it?"

Especially for music that is existing from older games.

"Are you new to fighting games" LOL. That's probably the funniest thing I've read today.

Kof XII had extra music pack as dlc

Whoopsie, edited. Well at least they didn't do it for KOFXIII lol

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think this is an acceptable excuse? "Everyone else is doing it?" Also from my memory Capcom and SNK have never sold music in their console/PC fighting games. God help us if they start.

Especially for music that is existing from older games.

"Are you new to fighting games" LOL. That's probably the funniest thing I've read today.

I'm not defending the practice, I was just pointing out that nickel and diming players has been a staple of fighting games this past gen. I don't get why the uproar for something it was more or less expected at this point. See: BlazBlue navigators, DOA5 costumes, etc.

Nyoro SF

I'm not defending the practice, I was just pointing out that nickel and diming players has been a staple of fighting games this past gen. I don't get why the uproar for something it was more or less expected at this point. See: BlazBlue navigators, DOA5 costumes, etc.

It's unacceptable to take existing songs from old games and resell them as packages.

I don't really care how long whatever piecemeal practice has been going for. Persona music is very nice, any player who buys this game should be able to listen to old existing songs from the franchise just like in the previous version of this game.

Also "uproar". This word manipulation is glorious... voicing objections is now an uproar?

Kikirin

Persona music is very nice, any player who buys this game should be able to listen to old existing songs from the franchise just like in the previous version of this game.

When did this happen? I only remember character themes, mirror match, and P3 match as fight BGM selections.

PK Gaming

When did this happen? I only remember character themes, mirror match, and P3 match as fight BGM selections.

I think he's referring to the fact that the old game didn't lock away songs via DLC.

Like if you wanted to jam out to Mass Destruction, you could do it—no need to throw away money for "song packs."

Nyoro SF

I think he's referring to the fact that the old game didn't lock away songs via DLC.

Like if you wanted to jam out to Mass Destruction, you could do it—no need to throw away money for "song packs."

Yep. Also Mass Destruction IS my jam, how did you know? lol

BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

antibolo

Banned
So the complete P4A DLC just adds the story from the first game? In that case is there any reason for me keep the first game if I am getting Ultimax?

Unless you can sell your copy of P4A for more than 10$ (which is what this DLC costs), then it would be illogical from a financial point of view.

Kikirin

It seems like an odd perspective to me. Let's say that with the baseline release, you get access to all of the songs used as fight music in the arcade version: character themes, a special matchup theme or two, and maybe a few songs from P3/P4. With the DLC, you can also use songs not originally part of the arcade version, or potentially not even used in the current game's story mode.

Would it have been better if these songs weren't a selectable option than for them to be DLC?

PK Gaming

Yep. Also Mass Destruction IS my jam, how did you know? lol

BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

Mass Destruction is secretly everyone's jam.

It seems like an odd perspective to me. Let's say that with the baseline release, you get access to all of the songs used as fight music in the arcade version: character themes, a special matchup theme or two, and maybe a few songs from P3/P4. With the DLC, you can also use songs not originally part of the arcade version, or potentially not even used in the current game's story mode.

Not at all. The baseline release included a smaller roster and a lack of modes. The console release includes a host of new characters, modes, stages and several new songs. And yet, they arbitrarily decided to lock off a few songs (that are on the disc) for some extra cash.

Would it have been better if these songs weren't a selectable option than for them to be DLC?

It would have been better if they were free, period.

Awesome OT! I'm so psyched to play this tomorrow! I've clocked in a ton of hours with the first, and I'm excited to clock in a ton more with this. I added my name to the player list, but I may need a day or two to get back into it; I haven't played in a month or so.

Nyoro SF

Yeah whether or not the songs were on the disc doesn't make a difference to me, but I am arguing on a case of value. The songs which are signatures of the series and already available for reuse should most certainly be free.

Yeah, I'm really happy KoFXIII didn't go crazy on DLC. And they even gave us a color edit mode which was awesome.

I wish ASW would do that one day, but it'll be forever DLC.

I absolutely agree with all three things posted here lol. For the amount of effort it takes to create character colors, I very much dislike them being sold as DLC. From another standpoint in value, I would argue that colors should always be free; I'm sure that statement has its detractors though.

FluxWaveZ

Hearing reports that the JP and NA versions of this game might be incompatible online, ala LOVE MAX!!!!! Really hope that's not true, because that'll be real chaotic.

Lemstar

Hearing reports that the JP and NA versions of this game might be incompatible online, ala LOVE MAX!!!!! Really hope that's not true, because that'll be real chaotic.
I'm pretty confident it's only temporary. The US version hasn't gotten whatever compatibility patches that add the three DLC characters to character select yet.

Uraizen

Banned

Eh? I could have sworn I read a tweet from them saying it's not locked and we're only behind because we don't have the margaret patch yet.

EDIT: Pfft... beaten.

ZeroX03

Banned
Will the DLC be live at midnight or will we be waiting until the store update for that?

T6 and TTT2 didn't. SCV was only one character (which you could get free as a pre-order). The rest was all cosmetics and music/videos from old titles.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Will the DLC be live at midnight or will we be waiting until the store update for that?

T6 and TTT2 didn't. SCV was only one character (which you could get free as a pre-order). The rest was all cosmetics and music/videos from old titles.
Harada is a bro though.

koutoru

Just found out that the US version doesn't have JPN voices for story mode. Dang, I hoped they wouldn't go that route.

FluxWaveZ

Weird, the previous game definitely did.

Perhaps not too weird in this circumstance, as it's probably related to the whole region lock debacle and how this time there isn't one. Wada stated that the JP version didn't have English text because it is region free.

Geneijin

So I only see an option for Japanese or English battle voices, but no option for me to change the default for opening movie, menu voices, etc. I wonder if I have to unlock this by playing the game or I'm just not finding it.

FluxWaveZ

So I only see an option for Japanese or English battle voices, but no option for me to change the default for opening movie, menu voices, etc. I wonder if I have to unlock this by playing the game or I'm just not finding it.

See right above. There is no Japanese voices outside of battle VA in the game.

hao chi

That option should change it for everything, I think. It does on the JP version, anyway.

Geneijin

Me neither guys. Nice that they went by EDT :lol

You guys on PSN? I'd be up for a random lobby right now.

That option should change it for everything, I think. It does on the JP version, anyway.
Nope. No luck. Just battle voices. When characters are shouting the title of the game at the start menu, they do so in English.

Pics_nao

I'd be down for a few games right now but I got class all day tomorrow D:

Glad to see I really do get all my DLC from Arena.

Teknoman

No clue. Never done that for PS3 :lol

Pretty much.

Would be nice since it would let people avoid having to add everyone to your friends list.

At any rate, looking forward to getting combo'd into oblivion by GAF. Grabbing the physical version tomorrow morning (at least it better be at the store). No soundtrack disc this time around?

Saikyo

That really sux about no dual audio for story mode. My friends always play when possible the undub version of the jrpgs. Not much of a problem for me in arena, just going to play for the matches anyway.

Hope it is just need a patch to unlock the dlc color from preorder. Or else the pre order was for nothing...

Clov

Nope. No luck. Just battle voices. When characters are shouting the title of the game at the start menu, they do so in English.

I'm guessing the voices in the story mode are only in English as well? Disappointing, but you can't really expect Atlus to be progressive when it comes to dual audio.

Wish Amazon.ca had shipped my copy today. It hasn't even "prepared to ship" yet, actually. Hope they get on that soon, I want to try out the new characters already!

ZeroX03

Banned
Junpei's baseball stuff is confusing the hell out of me.

But it looks really cool.

P4U2_Junpei_j2A.png

Top Bottom