• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Diarmuid

Neo Member
Does anyone know why supers aren't activating on the d pad? I can get them out with the stick but only specials activate with the double motion on the pad.

zeioIIDX

And there we go! Framed my cards and put it on the wall. Threw this together in about 15 minutes, I like the layout and the simplicity of it. Glued some black construction paper for as the background and put a tiny square of double-sided tape on the center of each card. Sorry for the crappy quality...iPhone 4S in a dim room.

iviDaCVHReZDu.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does anyone know why supers aren't activating on the d pad? I can get them out with the stick but only specials activate with the double motion on the pad.

You sure your D-pad isn't dropping the 214/236 somewhere in the motion? 26 for example where the 3 isn't registered?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I am so bad at this game :( Got wrecked twice on Ranked... Fighters just aren't for me. I love them so but they hate me...
Start gradually, beat some of the challenges, learn some bnb combos, and then jump online. A good exercise I used to do was playing score attack before online. I would get wrecked and then be like "at least, ppl online aren't this cheap".

Diarmuid

Neo Member
You sure your D-pad isn't dropping the 214/236 somewhere in the motion? 26 for example where the 3 isn't registered?
I'm fairly sure it isn't my controller because I switched between three trying to see if there was an issue but the motion inputted properly on all of them in training.

Xenoflare

I've spent the vast majority of my time online in the lobbies, but now that the NA version is out, I might spend more time in Ranked if there are more people there. I still like Lobbies a lot, though.

The lobbies are distinguished by skill level? Huh, guess I didn't know that because of the Japanese text. That's interesting.

The game won't force you, it's just the different establishments caters to different players, since there are lobbies have the description of (for players who just want to get use to the game) and (for players who just want to have matches after matches)

TheSeks

I'm fairly sure it isn't my controller because I switched between three trying to see if there was an issue but the motion inputted properly on all of them in training.

Okay. So you're only having problems putting the two 236's in during matches?

Try doing it slower/consistently? I mean if you're not having issues with it in training you shouldn't be having issues with it in the actual game unless you're going too fast for it to register the inputs in the "buffer."

I was having this issue too. I ended up having to speed up my finger movements with the d-pad then I got them to start activating again. Took a little to get used to though.

Huh, weird.

I was having this issue too. I ended up having to speed up my finger movements with the d-pad then I got them to start activating again. Took a little to get used to though.

FluxWaveZ

For any input issue, it's a good idea to go to training mode and look at how the inputs are being displayed on screen and if they mirror what you think you're doing with the controller.

SO how can i put the japanese voices for story mode ?
do i need the patch ( can't download it ATm ) ?
Very disapointed that i'm forced to hear those when i don't like them.
I guess i'm a fool for expecting something when the previous game had the option.

Diarmuid

Neo Member
Okay. So you're only having problems putting the two 236's in during matches?
In all matches offline and online, as well as the challenge and lesson mode but the super comes out fine when I try the thumbstick
I'm doing the motion at the same speed as I would in vanilla P4A

FluxWaveZ

I guess i'm a fool for expecting something when the previous game had the option.

The previous game was region locked.

Edit: I like the new player cards. A lot of neat information in it, like one's win percentage in a given MU in Ranked. I guess I'm glad that only the Ranked W/L appears there, since I like to mess around quite a bit in Lobbies and Player Matches; I guess I just won't do that in Ranked anymore. Already 2,000+ matches played online...

TheSeks

In all matches offline and online, as well as the challenge and lesson mode but the super comes out fine when I try the thumbstick
I'm doing the motion at the same speed as I would in vanilla P4A

That's weird. I haven't ran into mysterious dropping inputs offline with the D-pad.

hmm yes quite

Oh wow.

FluxWaveZ

alright I actually think Im gonna play rise. Was she released in the arcade version? Also any tips?

Ken, Rise, Adachi, Marie and Margaret are all currently console exclusive characters.

As for tips? I guess it's always good to start off by reading the character's Dustloop page. Rise's got some obnoxious blockstrings by making good use of her music notes.

Zaku

My god, this game has good netcode. Just got finished playing a bunch of matches, and never saw any lag unless the connection was all the way down to 0 on the 0-4 scale the game uses to judge connectivity.

Active PSN community, too. Hope it lasts!

Ken, Rise, Adachi, Marie and Margaret are all currently console exclusive characters.

As for tips? I guess it's always good to start off by reading the character's Dustloop page. Rise's got some obnoxious blockstrings by making good use of her music notes.

yea checking out the loop. Was wondering if anybody here had anything

Lemstar

Nope. Because when I get beat offline, I at least know my inputs weren't dropped/two seconds behind what I entered. That and the AI is set to Risky which is automatically gonna destroy me.
please show me these 2-bar connections that give you two seconds of lag

he's just talking out his ass. same shit happen in the original P4A thread.

"zomg akihiko is the worse character, he can't do anything!" "he only has 2 buttons because ceaser is useless" "omg akihiko sucks because yukiko's 300 dmg fans are impossible to get around." "this game isn't that good because autocombo"

TheSeks

If I had a capture card, I would. But the match syncs. Lags during the character intro. The Round notification is fine... then the game starts to have two seconds of input "lag" to where attempting to block instantly will take two or more seconds to actually "register" my input. It drives me crazy. I have no clue if my actual input will register until too late at times.

I mean if the intro is going to lag while syncing, okay. But as soon as that thing is playing "fine" it shouldn't be messing with my inputs or "frame slowdown"/lagging. It's weird as hell.

Saikyo

Really frustated that after 5 times it still give the same error message.

Thanks Arc, not going to buy another game from you again on console. Release on Steam for now on if you want my money again.

Roto13

So what's the deal with the arcade mode and the lack of endings? It just cuts out when Sho hops up to the top of the tower. Is there a way to see more than that?

I really want to use Yukari but after trying her challenges I'm not sure my execution is good enough. I'll give them all another shot tomorrow though. Maybe after sleeping on it tonight I'll see some improvement.

So what's the deal with the arcade mode and the lack of endings? It just cuts out when Sho hops up to the top of the tower. Is there a way to see more than that?

Story mode, the arcade stories are a very summarized not entirely accurate tl;dr version of it up until the final Sho battle.

Roto13

Story mode, the arcade stories are a very summarized not entirely accurate tl;dr version of it up until the final Sho battle.

Well, yes, obviously there's story mode, but the last game still had little character specific endings like most fighting games. The way it ends (with a TV being shut off as soon as things get interesting) is just really abrupt and it seems like there's supposed to be something else there.

I really want to use Yukari but after trying her challenges I'm not sure my execution is good enough. I'll give them all another shot tomorrow though. Maybe after sleeping on it tonight I'll see some improvement.

Yeah her combos are surprisingly tough. Her 5AAA xx 214A, 5C > 5B string seems like it's really important for combos and I have a hard time landing it consistently.

hao chi

Really? 0-1 bars have been nothing but lag for me. 2 is a mixed bag of some being good, a lot being bad. :/

WHY.jpg do I have to suffer the online mode for 20% trophies? Ugh, Atlus/Arc. Ugh.

On the bright side: Golden Abyss mode is a worthy addition and fun to play.

Are you making sure not to skip the intro? That makes a huge difference and can even make 0-1 bar connections playable.

Though nothing you can do if your opponent skips. Sometimes in P4A I'd just make a lobby and make the title 'Don't skip intro', and that worked for me. Also, if you're picking the stage, the music room and outdoor night stage right in front of the school are good netplay stages. I'm not sure if any of the new stages are considered as netplay-friendly.

hows marie in the tier list? Might pick her up or ken/rise not sure.

People seem pretty split on Marie. Sounds like she's complicated and people haven't fully figured her out yet.

Well, yes, obviously there's story mode, but the last game still had little character specific endings like most fighting games. The way it ends (with a TV being shut off as soon as things get interesting) is just really abrupt and it seems like there's supposed to be something else there.

Eh, that's just them not wanting to spoil the final section of the story. Even tho they had individual art didn't all of the P4A arcade endings end with Labrys getting possessed and then there being an abrupt cut too?

Rhapsody

Banned
If I had a capture card, I would. But the match syncs. Lags during the character intro. The Round notification is fine... then the game starts to have two seconds of input "lag" to where attempting to block instantly will take two or more seconds to actually "register" my input. It drives me crazy. I have no clue if my actual input will register until too late at times.

I mean if the intro is going to lag while syncing, okay. But as soon as that thing is playing "fine" it shouldn't be messing with my inputs or "frame slowdown"/lagging. It's weird as hell.

If you're getting actual lag, it could be a few things. One is that one of you guys are on wireless or someone else is doing something that's eating the bandwidth (like downloading).

If it's input delay, then that's just the upload speed and ping from either party not being all that great. The netcode is decent, but it can only do so much if someone's internet speed isn't good.

Like all games online, you just need to hope you and the other guy has a wired connection at the very least.

FluxWaveZ

People seem pretty split on Marie. Sounds like she's complicated and people haven't fully figured her out yet.

I don't know about tiers but, of all of the new characters, Marie seems to be the simplest or most straightforward.

Edit: Wait, I wasn't even thinking of the Shos or Rise. Never mind.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't know about tiers but, of all of the new characters, Marie seems to be the simplest or most straightforward.

For me, my ranking on the new console cast is Rise > Marie > Adachi > Margaret (still early) > Ken

It's all opinions though, and I could be completely wrong. I find Rise extremely scary right now, especially since OMB and awakening super can be 6k-7.5k or so with very little work. Plus her corner game is pretty scary with safe jumps and oki (even on Kanji). Only on standing opponents though :(

Marie, I still believe to be really good. My friend and I tested her Awakening super for hours. She has a straight up 50/50 with this one setup we tried that had to be a straight up guess to block. If you manage to block it, you have to deal with more mixups (especially on Rainy weather). However, it's not guaranteed if her opponent has meter on a certain setup.

Adachi is good. I don't think his unblockable reset factors in much to be honest. Heat Riser is amazing and should be done asap when he gets 50 meter. Margaret I need to wait on. I'm liking Ken, but he has some really rough matchups compared to the others (against Margaret too).

I'm interested to see how everything plays out though, but I do believe Rise to be high up there.

PK Gaming

Said character specific endings involved still shots of your playable character talking to Rise, wondering what happened to Labrys. Hardly what i'd call an ending, especially since it was the same for most (70%) of the characters.

If anything, prefer the character specific win message at the end of arcade mode.

Picked it up tonight. Artwork is beautiful. Animation is superb like all Arc System Works games.

I like it!

Edit: they can at least put a progress bar or percentage when installing!

Xenoflare

The final boss with Labrys is so, so retarded.

I died even on safety I feel so inadequate right now.

Fuck giant boss fights.

ZeroX03

Banned
I was under the impression that there are no rules bounding that, but edited.

Just common courtesy, game has only been out one day in the States (and won't hit Europe til next month), people don't know things about bosses or the story. I wasn't even aware of that until you posted it.

hao chi

Edit: Wait, I wasn't even thinking of the Shos or Rise. Never mind.

I was partially going off of what little I know about Marie, such as how the weather affects her, but also how Chosen Ninja a few days said she needs figuring out.

Can't say I've really kept up with Marie much though. She's pretty boring to me and I've fought against maybe one online.

I don't really think Rise is really straightforward though, especially after seeing Die-chan's Rise. Not saying she's overly complex either, but more somewhere in the middle.

For me, my ranking on the new console cast is Rise > Marie > Adachi > Margaret (still early) > Ken

It's all opinions though, and I could be completely wrong. I find Rise extremely scary right now, especially since OMB and awakening super can be 6k-7.5k or so with very little work. Plus her corner game is pretty scary with safe jumps and oki (even on Kanji). Only on standing opponents though :(

Sounds like I need new tech.

Well, that and I need to stop being lazy and work on learning the OMB combo I have written down.

So could someone answer a couple questions about this game with as few spoilers as possible?

-Does this game's story take place after that of the original Persona 4 Arena?
-Does it address who the mystery antagonist was at the end of the first P4A?
-Does it end on yet another damn cliffhanger?

Edit: The Persona 4 Arena 1 DLC that's $10 on PSN, is it the complete story mode from P4A? or is it some abridged version of it?

Top Bottom