• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Xenoflare

So could someone answer a couple questions about this game with as few spoilers as possible?

-Does this game's story take place after that of the original Persona 4 Arena?
-Does it address who the mystery antagonist was at the end of the first P4A?
-Does it end on yet another damn cliffhanger?

1)
Yes

2)
Yes

3)
Not... really, although you'll have to be the judge for that.

muteki

Love the story format so much more. Even if the two sides contradict one another, at least individual characters actions within one side don't. Also, this is the first time I am experiencing Labrys' english voice, and it's hilarious.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Are you making sure not to skip the intro? That makes a huge difference and can even make 0-1 bar connections playable.

Though nothing you can do if your opponent skips. Sometimes in P4A I'd just make a lobby and make the title 'Don't skip intro', and that worked for me. Also, if you're picking the stage, the music room and outdoor night stage right in front of the school are good netplay stages. I'm not sure if any of the new stages are considered as netplay-friendly.

Even not skipping the intro isn't a "slam-dunk sure thing." Because even if that smooths out and the rest plays fine, as soon as the match begins there's delay. It's one of the reasons I hate playing fighters online: I can't guarantee my actual inputs will be "fast" enough to react to what is going on.

If you're getting actual lag, it could be a few things. One is that one of you guys are on wireless or someone else is doing something that's eating the bandwidth (like downloading).

If it's input delay, then that's just the upload speed and ping from either party not being all that great. The netcode is decent, but it can only do so much if someone's internet speed isn't good.

Alright, humoring this: What would the ideal upload speed for P4U2 be?

QaaQer

P4A dlc worthwhile for someone who just wants the story?

& damn, you guys weren't kidding about the Teddy's smell. I feel sorry for the people who work in that factory.

FluxWaveZ

I don't really think Rise is really straightforward though, especially after seeing Die-chan's Rise. Not saying she's overly complex either, but more somewhere in the middle.

Compared to the rest of the new characters? I dunno, I don't think she's on the same technical level as a Yukari, Adachi, Ken or some of the others.

Not an escuse.. it's not even a simultaneous release between japan/us/europe.
This is stupid.
If i knew that before release, i wouldn't have bought the game

so disapointed.

I'm saying it's not the same situation since the previous game was region locked, which, according to the game's director, is probably the reason for this (along with why the JPN version didn't have English text).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
P4A dlc worthwhile for someone who just wants the story?

If you haven't played the previous P4U, yes. It's basically that ones story which continues in this one. Though you have to go through the "gameplay." Which if you have no interest in, you probably are better off watching it on Youtube in a month.

Wow, is Gallery Mode EXTREMELY slow on loading for anyone else? It takes literally 5 seconds just for a picture to load. & this is WITH the game installed.

Yeah, for the non-videos (like the Arcade Tutorial) the illustrations take a little bit to load. Weird since I think this is the first Arc Sys gallery that "lags" slightly on loading stuff. Probably because the illustrations aren't "non-transparent."

Took a peek at a lobby yesterday and only a saw a few people with 3 bar connections and only a single person with 4 bars. Will definitely need to find someone that has a decent connection to help me learn the game.

Took a peek at a lobby yesterday and only a saw a few people with 3 bar connections and only a single person with 4 bars. Will definitely need to find someone that has a decent connection to help me learn the game.
The game has an amazing netcode, the bars don't really matter at all; zero bars can be a little wishy washy, but I've never had issues with 1+. And three bars is about the best you're going to find anyways, I've yet to see anyone with four.

finally fought a mirror as marie and holy crap her JP voice is annoying. Maybe if I played P4G in japanese id hate her character like most others seem to.

Ah well, still trying to figure out marie, spacing out and using the bag has been tough for me, I spend a lot of time super jumping and doing j.D and looking for openings.

If anyone wants to play send me an invite (neogaf practice room?)

ShadowSoldier89 on PSN, toss neogaf in the comment please.

Ken's one of the most annoying characters for me to fight against next to Minazuki, Sho and Yosuke.

Ken's range is crazy, he's really tricky to get in on with a few characters.

And is it just me or is every other person online playing as Akihiko? I was in a lobby yesterday and I was amazed by the amount of them. I haven't even fought any Narukamis yet which is really shocking to me.

Does anyone know why supers aren't activating on the d pad? I can get them out with the stick but only specials activate with the double motion on the pad.

I noticed the same problem. I have no problem activating them on P4A, with the left stick or with my new arcade stick. Training mode says there is no problem with my inputs, so the game is either getting needlessly more pedantic, or it's a glitch. I could drop a skill like nothing in the original title.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*SIGH* It JUST hit me why I couldn't hit the notes during Risette: Live on Stage. It was because I was trying to do it in Challenge Mode, & since I technically cleared the challenge after it connected, it wasn't letting me hit the notes since controls are disabled after you clear a challenge. I thought it was odd that the Demonstration was getting misses as well.

Pics_nao

Is Flux the Netplay Monster? Everytime I go into the lobby I see him bodying people no matter what time it is >_>

Anyone play Sho? I did a few of his challenges and I'm thinking about making the switch to him from Minazuki

It can't possibly be more pedantic as the game will register 2424 input as 214214. You can input quarter circle moves by just hitting down and forward/back.

I still need to find out what all these numbers mean....I'm still high-scrub tier. Don't speak all the lingo yet.

I just know what i've played, and multiple DS3s didn't play nice. I'm slowly getting used to my arcade stick though, and that isn't giving me nearly as many issues.

On another note, what's the consensus on Adachi? I find him great fun to play as, but not sure how well i could pull him off. I work best with the fast fighters like Yosuke.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
God this game is incredible. Really enjoying this story mode, and that golden mode is pretty sweet too

ZeroX03

Banned
I've also noticed the game has issues with some d-pad inputs, tried two controllers. Not a huge issue, but I'm glad it wasn't just my imagination.

Also beat Episode P4. That was so much more concise than P4A. Thank God.

I still need to find out what all these numbers mean....I'm still high-scrub tier. Don't speak all the lingo yet.

I just know what i've played, and multiple DS3s didn't play nice. I'm slowly getting used to my arcade stick though, and that isn't giving me nearly as many issues.

On another note, what's the consensus on Adachi? I find him great fun to play as, but not sure how well i could pull him off. I work best with the fast fighters like Yosuke.

Think of it as a num pad on the computer
So 136 is a hoduken, etc. etc.

and A B C D is the four inputs for attacks. Check the OT for clarification since it has it exactly.

i dont follow seiyuus, but if that person voiced marie then yes I am dissing her, at least her combat work because it is just horribly annoying

I'd like to use this opportunity to talk about how awful normal Labrys's Japanese voice is. Like god its just terrible.

MSMrRound

i dont follow seiyuus

I'd like to use this opportunity to talk about how awful normal Labrys's Japanese voice is. Like god its just terrible.

and now someone talking about Ayana Taketatsu.*Shakes head*

At least I hope you guys aren't saying that they are worse than new Margaret and new Igor...

I'm for both dubs, but gosh, I just can't wait to skip the dialogue whenever the two of them show up.

I havent heard it, but I absolutely love her southern bell english voice

I know right! Its so good, even if it makes no sense, its just so different and good.

Heh, I don't have 2,000+ matches for nothing.

It's 236 but, yeah, it's just a numpad notation, like you said.

You're right my bad lol.

At least I hope you guys aren't saying that they are worse than new Margaret and new Igor...

I'm for both dubs, but gosh, I just can't wait to skip the dialogue whenever the two of them show up.

I have a problem with voice actors that sound like Japanese chipmunks. Its grating, especially with the amount of talking Labrys does in her fights. As for the new voices, I could care less. I mean I haven't heard Margaret yet, but I don't hear Igor enough to really be bothered by it.

new english margerat and igor? Igor is awful, margaret is not awful, but is starkly contrasted by just how amazing og margaret was

Mesoian

So, let's talk about Marie.

From the sessions I had last night, it feels like her jumping C/D --> A string is unblockable on the cancel. I went up against that combo a good 20 times and got hit every single time. It doesn't seem to be an up/down mixup or a continuation string, I have no idea how you defend against it other than either trading damage or using sufficient anti-air.

What am I missing here?

I think she has more of a New York/Boston accent, but I'm not really here to talk about origination of accents

It's definitely a Jersey/Long Island accent. That accent goes from Maryland to Rhode Island.

FluxWaveZ

So, let's talk about Marie.

From the sessions I had last night, it feels like her jumping C/D --> A string is unblockable on the cancel. I went up against that combo a good 20 times and got hit every single time. It doesn't seem to be an up/down mixup or a continuation string, I have no idea how you defend against it other than either trading damage or using sufficient anti-air.

What am I missing here?

Block. There's nothing remotely unblockable about that, and her j.C isn't even an overhead, so you could just stay crouch blocking if you can't block high then low fast enough.

Of course, you can DP it or anti-air it, too. You can also roll through it. Then there's the usual guard cancel or roll cancel... You can do anything against that move/block string, really.

It's definitely a Jersey/Long Island accent. That accent goes from Maryland to Rhode Island.

Maybe Southern Jersey? Because I actually am from Jersey (central and north) and no one around here speaks anything like her. That's definitely sounds like a heavy accent from around NY. I can't speak for any other state though because I'm not from there.

Mesoian

Block. There's nothing remotely unblockable about that, and her j.C isn't even an overhead, so you could just stay crouch blocking if you can't block high then low fast enough.

Of course, you can DP it or anti-air it, too. You can also roll through it. Then there's the usual guard cancel or roll cancel... You can do anything against that move/block string, really.

So weird. I would block the j.C/D and then the transition into the A string always connected, no matter what. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Also is there any point to the hold down a Skill meter attack thing? Isn't it always quicker to use the input?

Maybe Southern Jersey? Because I actually am from Jersey (central and north) and no one around here speaks anything like her. That's definitely sounds like a heavy accent from around NY. I can't speak for any other state though because I'm not from there.

I will say that the place I've seen that accent the most is Providence RI.

FluxWaveZ

So weird. I would block the j.C/D and then the transition into the A string always connected, no matter what. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Also is there any point to the hold down a Skill meter attack thing? Isn't it always quicker to use the input?

FYI, Marie's j.C is completely different from her j.D. Her j.D is the one where she summons three yellow arrow projectiles from the sky.

The S-hold system isn't used all that much, no. Sometimes it adds certain properties to moves, like making Akihiko's 236A partly invulnerable. It can be used for a visual fake-out towards the opponent, who might expect you to perform whatever the S-hold is charging towards but, instead, you cancel out of it. It can help for certain combos; I often see Yu players charge it to easily connect his 236236A after a Cross Slash.

I've also noticed the game has issues with some d-pad inputs, tried two controllers. Not a huge issue, but I'm glad it wasn't just my imagination.

Also beat Episode P4. That was so much more concise than P4A. Thank God.

They structured the story a ton better. Not perfectly, but a lot better.

It's not like before with "Persona 4 Arena: Starring ______", but it still comes across as "Persona 4 Arena Ultimax" and "Persona 3 Arena Ultimax", if that makes sense. I was hoping it would be a single intertwining narrative this time, but alas...

Was also contrived as hell unlocking the true ending path. Atlus likes to make these things a bitch to trigger.

on another tangent, if the DLC took the P4A story mode and made it not suck they would probably have got my money. Instead though, they did a copypasta. Which greatly disappointed me.

Mesoian

FYI, Marie's j.C is completely different from her j.D. Her j.D is the one where she summons three yellow arrow projectiles from the sky.

The S-hold system isn't used all that much, no. Sometimes it adds certain properties to moves, like making Akihiko's 236A partly invulnerable. It can be used for a visual fake-out towards the opponent, who might expect you to perform whatever the S-hold is charging towards but, instead, you cancel out of it. It can help for certain combos; I often see Yu players charge it to easily connect his 236236A after a Cross Slash.

Hmm...alright, well it's just day 1. I'll figure it out eventually.

Not that I'm aware of. Seems to be a relatively unexplored aspect of the game.

The JP wiki that the dustloop wiki links to has some more details on the S hold moves, although for Yu it just seems to state what version of the move comes out at what level and doesn't mention anything about extra properties. Also that wiki seems somewhat incomplete as it's missing sections for some characters. I just took a quick look at Aigis and there was nothing there, didn't check any other characters though.

Xenoflare

Not an escuse.. it's not even a simultaneous release between japan/us/europe.
This is stupid.
If i knew that before release, i wouldn't have bought the game

so disapointed.

Well it's not like the problem would fix itself for the import, the Japanese version does not have English texts. IIRC BBCP also only has the dub for the story mode. Maybe Arc Atlus doesn't want to pay the licensing fee for having full JP audio overseas other than battle voices for netplay reasons. Funny how the Japanese version has dual audio.

finally fought a mirror as marie and holy crap her JP voice is annoying. Maybe if I played P4G in japanese id hate her character like most others seem to.

YES I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. She sounds extremely bratty, JP Teddie is the reason why I'll stick with the dub til the very end.

I like P3's cast in Japanese though, but since Fuuka doesn't sound crappy anymore it's all good for PQ.

Top Bottom