• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Astarte

SMXmfgu.gif

The feeling of landing two hallelujah command supers in a row as Kanji is second to none. God bless impatient Shos.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm in a lobby and I've been playing 1 and 2 bar players with very little issues

Really? 0-1 bars have been nothing but lag for me. 2 is a mixed bag of some being good, a lot being bad. :/

WHY.jpg do I have to suffer the online mode for 20% trophies? Ugh, Atlus/Arc. Ugh.

On the bright side: Golden Abyss mode is a worthy addition and fun to play.

Question for anyone who bought any of the P4A DLC. Does the game just recognize it and carry it over or do you need to go to the store and download the Ultimax version of it?

Only because on the web store it had the price next to some of the navigators I had purchased (screw Vanilla's score attack mode) instead of the free mark.

Xenocthul

Question for anyone who bought any of the P4A DLC. Does the game just recognize it and carry it over or do you need to go to the store and download the Ultimax version of it?

Only because on the web store it had the price next to some of the navigators I had purchased (screw Vanilla's score attack mode) instead of the free mark.

The game detects the DLC.

Really? 0-1 bars have been nothing but lag for me. 2 is a mixed bag of some being good, a lot being bad. :/

WHY.jpg do I have to suffer the online mode for 20% trophies? Ugh, Atlus/Arc. Ugh.

It must be on your end then, cause I have no problem with 0-2 bar people, same as the last game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is there by chance any way to use Golden Arena characters with their custom abilities in a versus mode? Or are they limited to the GA vs CPU?

TheSeks

It must be on your end then, cause I have no problem with 0-2 bar people, same as the last game.

Everyone says that, but no matter the fighting game I play I get 0-2 bars in the fighting filters. :/ Everyone is West Coast or something it seems.

Any other online title I can get 3-4 bars just fine. I have no clue why fighting games are the only ones that give me that, sync up fine and then just shits the bed in terms of input/smooth animation. It really pisses me off to have online trophies/achievements because it means suffering the online modes randomity in either being a good match or most of the time being a complete guesstimate in getting inputs out.

Is there by chance any way to use Golden Arena characters with their custom abilities in a versus mode? Or are they limited to the GA vs CPU?

It's possible Atlus/Arc could probably patch in an option to enable that, but I think it's unlikely.

FluxWaveZ

No, unfortunately. You can unlock the boss mode of characters by clearing their respective route in Arcade mode and then use those boss mode variations against other players in boss lobbies online, but that's about it.

Xenoflare

No kidding, Golden Arena makes single player worth it.

The lobby is nice, since you can always play without affecting your rankings and such.

How come Marie's BB>2B randomly has the most ridiculously tight timing?

Everyone says that, but no matter the fighting game I play I get 0-2 bars in the fighting filters. :/ Everyone is West Coast or something it seems.
I'm on East Coast, so I don't know what to tell ya.

TheSeks

Is there anyway to move between Lobby "floors" and the Lobbies themselves that isn't exiting to the main menu?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, is Gallery Mode EXTREMELY slow on loading for anyone else? It takes literally 5 seconds just for a picture to load. & this is WITH the game installed.

Also wow Deep Breath Deep Breath is a BGM? This almost makes up for some of the songs being DLC.

Xenoflare

I've just been sitting in training mode with her for the past few hours trying to work up the motivation to go back online.

The upside is that she's the only character I know how to use against high tiered AI's. Her pre-awakened nerfs makes her harder to use compared to the original though.

I won't be touching ranked for this game ever again, it makes you feel so useless in the end haha. I remember being wrecked by a Shabrys in the original P4A.

TheSeks

I won't be touching ranked for this game ever again, it makes you feel so useless in the end haha. I remember being wrecked by a Shabrys in the original P4A.

Better than being wrecked in lobbies?

The upside is that she's the only character I know how to use against high tiered AI's. Her pre-awakened nerfs makes her harder to use compared to the original though.

I tore shit up with her in P4A online, probably more so than in any other fighting game I've played. Now I'm getting slam dunked by everyone and their mom.

I'll probably main yukiko and yukari or rise.

I can already imagine what happens. I do decently for the first few months (atleast on gaf) but my execution and lack of time/commitment will get me bodied
and salty at fucking yu
. Same shit happen in p4a rofl.

I honestly wished yukiko's 5C did chip damage =(

0-2 bars wanting to fight in the lobby mode. WHY.jpg

Never any 3-4 bars around. Now I remember why I don't touch online modes for Arc titles. :/
err ASW has the one of the best netcode for fighters. Only Namco's SC5/TTT2 compared in terms of big name devs/pub. Capcom is shit, DoA is okay at best, and NRS is shit

Xenoflare

Better than being wrecked in lobbies?

At least it doesn't leave a permanent mark on whatever that PSR thing is, and the lobbies at least are divided up by skills. Sure a seasoned ass could go play in a newbie lobby but it's not like it's going to leave a win/lose rank in the end.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
My pre-order didn't arrive on time so I'm off to the store. Smash is hitting this friday so I need to get as much mileage from the next 3 days as possible.

FluxWaveZ

The two characters that are the most fun for me to play as are definitely Yukari and Akihiko. Will have to learn how to play as them for sure.

Xenoflare

I tore shit up with her in P4A online, probably more so than in any other fighting game I've played. Now I'm getting slam dunked by everyone and their mom.

SB agi+Diarahan is one of my key moves that I use, and I can't use that anymore.

What's funny that you can still super combo into Mind Charge with Awakened agi.

What is the use of that....? uhhh.....

TheSeks

At least it doesn't leave a permanent mark on whatever that PSR thing is, and the lobbies at least are divided up by skills. Sure a seasoned ass could go play in a newbie lobby but it's not like it's going to leave a win/lose rank in the end.

I guess. But trying to get this "win one round" trophy is demoralizing me when I win one round only to proceed to be "downloaded" in regards to shit input lag/netcode lag completely fucking me over the next two rounds. :/

I guess. But trying to get this "win one round" trophy is demoralizing me when I win one round only to proceed to be "downloaded" in regards to shit input lag/netcode lag completely fucking me over the next two rounds. :/

is that how you got beat by yukiko's fan in p4a?

Astarte

You sure seem to be having fun with this game.

Xenoflare

I don't care much about the trophies :p

I am really salty with the original P4A though, I always would have disconnections (either due to the other person rage quit or bad connections) during my rank up matches.

And since rank isn't an issue for lobbies, I might finally be able to enjoy the online play casually, the lobbies for the old P4A always fill up and I would have no where to join (and no one would give a shit when I start one). The BBCP styled lobbies is a lot better in that regard.

TheSeks

Oh I have fun with it... offline. Online is a totally different story. Pulling teeth in regards to good connections and finding said good connections because (like Blazblue and Guilty Gear before it) the connection "filter" takes forever to actually give me what the connection quality is to where people jump on the lobby and turns out they're 1 bars right as we start. :/

I try messing around to see if I remember anything, nope. It's been awhile since I play any fighting games and I used to use an acarde stick. It's gonna take some time to adjuste to a ps3 controller. Has there been a tier list?

Xenoflare

BTW, Liz's Megidolaon now seems like only require one hit to trigger, nice?

That megidolaon can be averted even if you triggered it, please be careful.

FluxWaveZ

I'm actually kinda irritated they took out the W/L mark in Lobby and Player Matches. It was a good indicator of which character a person actually played and how proficient they were. Now, you kind of have to rely on card color to find someone who's relatively near your skill level in those modes.

Oh I have fun with it... offline. Online is a totally different story.

I dunno; you sure you're not the type to constantly make excuses offline, too?

Xenoflare

I'm actually kinda irritated they took out the W/L mark in Lobby and Player Matches. It was a good indicator of which character a person actually played and how proficient they were. Now, you kind of have to rely on card color to find someone who's relatively near your skill level in those modes.

For someone like you who plays this at a higher level, I would assume so.

Although ranked matches would be better for you then?

You can always drop by at the hardcore lobbies.

I totally see your point but for a non serious player like me it's better :)

TheSeks

Nope. Because when I get beat offline, I at least know my inputs weren't dropped/two seconds behind what I entered. That and the AI is set to Risky which is automatically gonna destroy me.

FluxWaveZ

For someone like you who plays this at a higher level, I would assume so.

Although ranked matches would be better for you then?

You can always drop by at the hardcore lobbies.

I totally see your point but for a non serious player like me it's better :)

I've spent the vast majority of my time online in the lobbies, but now that the NA version is out, I might spend more time in Ranked if there are more people there. I still like Lobbies a lot, though.

The lobbies are distinguished by skill level? Huh, guess I didn't know that because of the Japanese text. That's interesting.

Top Bottom