• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Rhapsody

Banned
Even not skipping the intro isn't a "slam-dunk sure thing." Because even if that smooths out and the rest plays fine, as soon as the match begins there's delay. It's one of the reasons I hate playing fighters online: I can't guarantee my actual inputs will be "fast" enough to react to what is going on.

Alright, humoring this: What would the ideal upload speed for P4U2 be?
There's no ideal speed for a specific game. Just don't be on wireless or have bad upload speeds of 2 or something.
I don't really think Rise is really straightforward though, especially after seeing Die-chan's Rise. Not saying she's overly complex either, but more somewhere in the middle.
I feel like Rise's actually more straight forward than I expected her to be. To me, Die-chan's Rise was alright. I don't think he really researched the character much and just wanted to put on a show and land awakening supers.
Someone's dissing Kana Hanazawa? Really...? Really!?

A sad world we live in.

Finished Persona 4 episode, but only at 94 (or was it 97?) % complete?

Play the chapter prior to the battle with
H-N-K, tell Sho it's the power of solitude.
Play until kicked back to the menu. Repeat and tell him the other thing. Then go finish the P3 Path if you haven't already.

Pics_nao

Looking at the Dustloop wiki and it says that Minazuki's air DP is air unblockable. Tried it in training and the CPU blocked every time. Was this a 1.1 arcade nerf?

So, let's talk about Marie.

From the sessions I had last night, it feels like her jumping C/D --> A string is unblockable on the cancel. I went up against that combo a good 20 times and got hit every single time. It doesn't seem to be an up/down mixup or a continuation string, I have no idea how you defend against it other than either trading damage or using sufficient anti-air.

What am I missing here?

Her 236A? It might be crossing up. I know some anti-air combos have it hitting behind you so you can continue the combo. I haven't played her much but it could be possible that the j.C gets her in deep enough that the followup hits behind you.

FluxWaveZ

Damn, they really nailed Adachi all his in game voice stuff is great and his animations are a great mix of goofy and brutal.

Yeah. In general, I think all of the characters are animated and designed very faithfully to who the characters were in the RPGs. I've played as Adachi the most just because he's awesome. They gave him a gun, yet the only attack that has him use it doesn't have him directly shoot the opponent; just like in the games/anime. My favorite line of his is definitely this one; the delivery is perfect:
ifrwI5fB4EAn5.jpg

Yeah. In general, I think all of the characters are animated and designed very faithfully to who the characters were in the RPGs. I've played as Adachi the most just because he's awesome. They gave him a gun, yet the only attack that has him use it doesn't have him directly shoot the opponent; just like in the games/anime. My favorite line of his is definitely this one; the delivery is perfect:

Mr. Bosh is an amazing VA. Great how he can pull off such opposites like Yu and Adachi.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The S-hold system isn't used all that much, no. Sometimes it adds certain properties to moves, like making Akihiko's 236A partly invulnerable. It can be used for a visual fake-out towards the opponent, who might expect you to perform whatever the S-hold is charging towards but, instead, you cancel out of it. It can help for certain combos; I often see Yu players charge it to easily connect his 236236A after a Cross Slash.

I'm still trying to figure out how you're supposed to use that in an actual match since it takes... what.... 60 frames before it even shows up/starts to charge? Seems like a situational thing to start charging up. I'm not sure how that helps "new players" in regards to pulling things easier. *shrug*

Steel

Banned
*sigh* Downloaded this once already, but it was corrupted and would take an hour before it said as much when installing. Is anyone else having a similiar issue? I'm downloading it again now but... Fuck man PS3's wireless is crap.

Geneijin

*sigh* Downloaded this once already, but it was corrupted and would take an hour before it said as much when installing. Is anyone else having a similiar issue? I'm downloading it again now but... Fuck man PS3's wireless is crap.
Try using a wired connection. If your connection disconnects even once, you won't know the download was corrupted until after you try to install it. Happened to me when Sleeping Dogs was a PS+ title.

hao chi

Compared to the rest of the new characters? I dunno, I don't think she's on the same technical level as a Yukari, Adachi, Ken or some of the others.

Definitely not Yukari, but a lot of her combos are actually pretty timing dependent, and utilizing her notes at midscreen and other tools like Arrow Rain and 5D (hold) make her at least less straight forward than at least the Sho's.

I feel like Rise's actually more straight forward than I expected her to be. To me, Die-chan's Rise was alright. I don't think he really researched the character much and just wanted to put on a show and land awakening supers.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same matches. I mean his matches vs Xie and Guynam, and he hardly ever went for the Awakening super. I was actually mainly thinking of how he'd use Rise's notes at midscreen to help deal with Minazuki's range.

I really hope he somehow makes it into the next arena game but the odds of that happening are probably low.

Well it's not like the problem would fix itself for the import, the Japanese version does not have English texts. IIRC BBCP also only has the dub for the story mode. Maybe Arc Atlus doesn't want to pay the licensing fee for having full JP audio overseas other than battle voices for netplay reasons. Funny how the Japanese version has dual audio.
Reasons.. yeah reasons ..i'm more annoyed that there was no way to know before and the fact that i BOUGHT BBCP vita and got a similar fate .. i'm pissed off But i've learnt my lesson. I didn't want to import because i usually support releases that i find satisfactory and i thought this was one. Otherwise i would have got the JP version ( Japanese text is no problem for me )

YES I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. She sounds extremely bratty, JP Teddie is the reason why I'll stick with the dub til the very end.

I like P3's cast in Japanese though, but since Fuuka doesn't sound crappy anymore it's all good for PQ.
I was under the impression that she was a obvious tsundere so her attitude is nothing but normal. Kinda the point of her character IMO

I think BBCP on Vita had only English. Might be a filesize issue there though.

BBCP Vita had japaneses voices in every mode except story.. Again i can understand the size reason for vita but i won't understand when the PS3 game of P4AU is 12gb
I just don't like how half -assed it feels.
I have voices for arcade but not for story ? how does that make sense ? We're obviously past the legal issues of the cost/technical issues that we had as escuses before.

Anyway.I'll just play story with the voice volume at 0. i just can't stand it

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm not sure we're talking about the same matches. I mean his matches vs Xie and Guynam, and he hardly ever went for the Awakening super. I was actually mainly thinking of how he'd use Rise's notes at midscreen to help deal with Minazuki's range.
Ah, I've yet to see those. I only saw the TGS round robin exhibition where he was kinda just messing around.

I'll have to check those out then.

Xenoflare

I was under the impression that she was a obvious tsundere so her attitude is nothing but normal. Kinda the point of her character IMO

Yeah but her it's not like her English voice doesn't carry that over for her, I vastly prefer it over her JP voice.
I never understood Tsunderes and how they are appealing anyways :p

Did you play P3/P4 in Japanese? Usually this has something to do with first exposure, like how I just cannot play P4 in Japanese, aside from Teddie/Rise, I played P4 with English, voice, and it took me a long time for me to adjust for P3's dub, especially with the fact that P3's dub has it's odd spots. Fuuka, Ken etc.

Yeah but her it's not like her English voice doesn't carry that over for her, I vastly prefer it over her JP voice.
I never understood Tsunderes and how they are appealing anyways :p

Did you play P3/P4 in Japanese? Usually this has something to do with first exposure, like how I just cannot play P4 in Japanese, aside from Teddie/Rise, I played P4 with English, voice, and it took me a long time for me to adjust for P3's dub, especially with the fact that P3's dub has it's odd spots. Fuuka, Ken etc.

Yes i did .

Xenoflare

just got this in the mail...did anyone else have theirs in shoddy packaging?

Yes, the thing is that the cardboard box doesn't have a solid frame and there is a lot of room for the box to get squished, I remember when I got FF XIII-2's Xbox BB special with the novella there is a cardboard strip in there to prevent the box from getting squished/collapsing.

Clov

So apparently Amazon.ca shipped this to me without telling me; when I got their shipping confirmation, the delivery estimate was for today. I went down to check my mailbox and the game was already there. Glad it's here, at least.

Already regret opening that inflatable Teddie, it reeks of plastic! Think I'm just going to toss him into my closet.

The hop cancel on Adachi's 2C is so cool. It gives him a lot of nice options off of a juggle.

I can see why he can't combo into his sweep on a standing opponent now. His pressure game is already crazy.

Rhapsody

Banned
The hop cancel on Adachi's 2C is so cool. It gives him a lot of nice options off of a juggle.

I can see why he can't combo into his sweep on a standing opponent now. His pressure game is already crazy.

Yeah, his pressure is pretty scary. Especially on matchups that let him get away with things like Ziodyne.

Speaking of the sweep, be careful to not autopilot and gatling into sweep. It's not a valid blockstring, so I just DP everytime people try it.

Xenoflare

Can someone explain how Junpei's bases are calculated?

I tried to find that Atlus 50 minute stream with Junpei but to no avail.

Yeah, his pressure is pretty scary. Especially on matchups that let him get away with things like Ziodyne.

Speaking of the sweep, be careful to not autopilot and gatling into sweep. It's not a valid blockstring, so I just DP everytime people try it.
Yeah I try to use the sweep sparingly. I like to use 2B > j.C a lot but I need to work on timing it so I can combo the 5B after on crouching opponents.
Can someone explain how Junpei's bases are calculated?

I tried to find that Atlus 50 minute stream with Junpei but to no avail.

Dustloop has a guide on it

So apparently Amazon.ca shipped this to me without telling me; when I got their shipping confirmation, the delivery estimate was for today. I went down to check my mailbox and the game was already there. Glad it's here, at least.

Already regret opening that inflatable Teddie, it reeks of plastic! Think I'm just going to toss him into my closet.

Yeah I was one of those people. UPS guy just saw me as I was about to leave down my apartment building hallway and asked if I ordered a package from Amazon and what my name was. Definitely the strangest shipping problem I've had from Amazon,ca

Though the first thing I did was try to change all voices into Japanese because I want my Japanese Mitsuru and Margaret god damn it but... So the battles are now in Japanese, but everything else is in forced English...? This is the strangest rendition of 'dual audio' I've ever seen. I really thought EVERYTHING with voices would be in Japanese like, you know, Blazblue and the original Persona 4 Arena.

Xenoflare

Yeah I was one of those people. UPS guy just saw me as I was about to leave down my apartment building hallway and asked if I ordered a package from Amazon and what my name was. Definitely the strangest shipping problem I've had from Amazon,ca

Though the first thing I did was try to change all voices into Japanese because I want my Japanese Mitsuru and Margaret god damn it but... So the battles are now in Japanese, but everything else is in forced English...? This is the strangest rendition of 'dual audio' I've ever seen. I really thought EVERYTHING with voices would be in Japanese like, you know, Blazblue and the original Persona 4 Arena.

IIRC when Atlus was doing those P4AU twitch streams, they avoided to comment on the dual audio feature, which made people suspicious.

I think this is to mostly curb importing due to Atlus, instead of the licensing issues for the Japanse audio.

Remember the original P4A had a region lock, but ultimax is region free.

Velcro Fly

So Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy. It's been on "preparing to ship" for 48 hours at least now. I'm not in any rush to get the game but this is getting a little frustrating. I've never had this problem before.

It's amazing to me how much different this feels than blazblue to me. I never got anywhere with the first p4a, just grabbed it since I love asw, then it got me to play p4 which became an instant favorite to me, and now I'm paying more attention to this one. I'm still terrible but having so much fun

Jachaos

This is taking such a long time to download. Abnormally long even. It downloads like less than 1mb/s even though I have 50mb/s on speed tests on my computer and 5.5mb/s download on my PS3.

IIRC when Atlus was doing those P4AU twitch streams, they avoided to comment on the dual audio feature, which made people suspicious.

I think this is to mostly curb importing due to Atlus, instead of the licensing issues for the Japanse audio.

Remember the original P4A had a region lock, but ultimax is region free.

It's such a cop out decision. The only reason why they removed region locking entirely is because P4A got a bad rep with being one of like 4 games to be region locked on PS3, a system which is not region locked. Then they went "OH IT'S NOT REGION LOCKED GUYS!" but then at the same time they still technically region locked it by language. From my understanding the Japanese version has real full dual audio but only Japanese text? I can't wait for the EU version to have full English and Japanese text and audio options somehow.

I'm fine with the dub, I have issues with a lot of the characters voices in both Japanese (I get why KugiRie voices Rise. I'm just not a fan of her sometimes) and Atlus's insistence that the honorifics stay in the English dub. It's not even that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. It's just really disappointing that Atlus would pull this. The game is still basically region locked just not down to the hardware or software, but in the language options.

That being said it's incredibly satisfying to play as Adachi. I tried both versions of Sho and I think I might start getting used to the persona version. I mained Yosuke in Arena and some of the changes are really interesting. Like how the kunai storm doesn't launch people into the air anymore. A lot of the stuff I used in Arena still works in Ultimax with some minor changes. In fact I think I can do more with them now. This is coming from someone who is shit at video games though.

FluxWaveZ

It's such a cop out decision. The only reason why they removed region locking entirely is because P4A got a bad rep with being one of like 4 games to be region locked on PS3, a system which is not region locked.

Or because ownership changed from Index to Sega?

Man... already getting tired of people avoiding me on ranked.

Uraizen

Banned
Speaking of dual audio... if you buy the original P4A story in this, can you play it using japanese voices? That would be fun to find out.

Top Bottom