• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is it possible to mess up stat allocation and have a terrible character? I Really want to main yukiko and yukari... what stats should I focus on without following some strict point guide?

EMT0

Banned
Plot Spoilers:
...There is nothing to do with Persona 2 or Nyarl. Nothing at all. They pulled a wtf out of left field with the final boss. Sho's Persona is just a reference, apparently. Nothing more. And the silhouettes from the original Shadow Operatives image still has about half the characters as question marks. Elizabeth's quest is a footnote. Sho has no conclusive ending to his story. And the inclusion of Tartarus and the Lobby are just neat throwaways, which is better than nothing, but I was hoping for something more substantial

811464256649141138.gif

Why Atlus. Why do I feel like they got overly ambitious with the plot and said "Uh....mhmm.....we didn't think this through, did we? Fuck this, let's rewind"

PK Gaming

Plot Spoilers:
...There is nothing to do with Persona 2 or Nyarl. Nothing at all. They pulled a wtf out of left field with the final boss. Sho's Persona is just a reference, apparently. Nothing more. And the silhouettes from the original Shadow Operatives image still has about half the characters as question marks. Elizabeth's quest is a footnote. Sho has no conclusive ending to his story

811464256649141138.gif

Why Atlus. Why do I feel like they got overly ambitious with the plot and said "Uh....mhmm.....we didn't think this through, did we? Fuck this, let's rewind"

Sarlie_hug.gif

At least Yosuke is top tier

FluxWaveZ

Why do I feel like they got overly ambitious with the plot and said "Uh....mhmm.....we didn't think this through, did we? Fuck this, let's rewind"

I do feel that there might have been a bit of this but, then again, I also feel that it was about the plan considering the hints in P4A. I don't necessarily have a problem with what you've mentioned individually, but I did have an issue with its execution, mainly the abruptness of the ending sequence and how it just felt extremely cliché.

If anything, at least it does a good job of acting as a conclusion to P4 and P3. Well, until the dancing game...

Still not sure who to focus on,I've really enjoyed what I've played of Junpei and I'm liking Kanji but I need to sit down and just mess around with everyone still.
And actually play the story stuff which was the main reason I bought the game.

FluxWaveZ

Oh wow, the Paulownia Mall lobby (X Fortune) currently has a legit line behind a cabinet. It's crazy; there are 6 players here, with 2 of them playing and 4 of them in a straight up line behind one of the players, with the other having a current 6 win streak. I think all of the players are Japanese. Heh, it's neat.

Steel

Banned
*Sigh* I really am not meant to play this game. I've redownloaded it about 4 times now, 3 of those times via wired, and it's been corrupted every single one of those times. Seriously, I'm cursed.

MechaX

Even/Especially after two beers, I still cannot get Yukari's 5AAA bombs into 5C down consistently. I don't even know what to even look for in terms of timing.

Yep, I don't have the expertise to play this character. Time to try someone else.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
Being able to pick and choose who I'm fighting is convenient. Near the end of P4A's life, I had a really hard time finding matches. I'd often get matched with rage quitters. Plus, it's neat that I can be challenged while in other modes.

FluxWaveZ

More granular search conditions, for one. It's nice to be able to establish that you're searching for connection speeds like 1 and Above, instead of P4A's 3 or above if you wanted to avoid 0 bars.

Ranking system is the same and I'm not much of a fan, but I guess I understand why it's like that. I'm currently S+, so I'll only be able to get promoted if I face off against A+ ranks or higher, and the same interval of grades for a chance at promotion continues for ranks after that.

Edit: Ack, perfect 60/60 win streak on Ranked just got wrecked. Eh, wasn't gonna last forever.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh wow, the Paulownia Mall lobby (X Fortune) currently has a legit line behind a cabinet. It's crazy; there are 6 players here, with 2 of them playing and 4 of them in a straight up line behind one of the players, with the other having a current 6 win streak. I think all of the players are Japanese. Heh, it's neat.

You weren't kidding. There's 3 there playing against him. 16 wins so far.

Interesting.

Xenoflare

Golden Arena question.

Will
Dekaja works on the eventual Golden Elizabeth? The skill that prevents regular characters from entering awakening

How should I be spending the points if I'm playing as Elizabeth? The AI always would spend points on MA but with her invigorate she doesn't really need it......

There really is something about Anime games that draws out the casual crowd. I am playing ranked and the competition isn't anywhere as stiff as say something like SF4.

I mean I am bad at fighting games, really bad, but I can get away with it for some reason. It's like I am playing Continuum Shift again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There really is something about Anime games that draws out the casual crowd. I am playing ranked and the competition isn't anywhere as stiff as say something like SF4.

I mean I am bad at fighting games, really bad, but I can get away with it for some reason. It's like I am playing Continuum Shift again.

Don't worry, it'll die out in a week/month and you'll be facerolled. :(

tmtyf

*Sigh* I really am not meant to play this game. I've redownloaded it about 4 times now, 3 of those times via wired, and it's been corrupted every single one of those times. Seriously, I'm cursed.

make sure after you delete it you reboot x2 before trying again. I had the same problem a while back. If that doesn't perhaps you can tell me if u have brighthouse/time Warner internet

If you have PS+, start the download and let PS+ download and install it over night.

I ran into the corruption issue twice in a row before doing that and it installed fine after I let PS+ do its thing overnight.

Steel

Banned
make sure after you delete it you reboot x2 before trying again. I had the same problem a while back. If that doesn't perhaps you can tell me if u have brighthouse/time Warner internet

I actually did reboot after each deletion. And yeah, you guessed my internet provider. How did you figure that one out, is it that bad for them?

Even/Especially after two beers, I still cannot get Yukari's 5AAA bombs into 5C down consistently. I don't even know what to even look for in terms of timing.

Yep, I don't have the expertise to play this character. Time to try someone else.

Yeah it's tricky, there's no real easy way to do it either. On the 5AAA you have to cancel to 214A ASAP when the third shot goes off so you can link the 5C. I start to buffer the 214 before the third shot so I can get the cancel on time.

The new characters in general have some pretty tricky execution IMO. With Adachi I'm having a hard time getting 2B > j.C, 5B consistently on crouchers and the 236ABA 665B is really hard too.

FluxWaveZ

The new characters in general have some pretty tricky execution IMO. With Adachi I'm having a hard time getting 2B > j.C, 5B consistently on crouchers and the 236ABA 665B is really hard too.

I've been getting by without that stuff. Doesn't seem like those super tight links would be too viable in netplay, even if one could do them semi-consistently in training mode. At least, the 2B > j.C > 5B makes for a good block string if it doesn't hit.

The ranks they've added are pretty great/silly. SS+ (just got this), SSS+, Grand Master (which was in P4A, but not normally accessible) and, I think the last one, God. With other alternatives of play like player matches and lobbies now, though, I feel that ranked is not very populated by North American players. Wonder if that'll go up over time or only dwindle.

I am actually really glad about all the new and casual players that picked up this game. I managed to get a bunch of fun matches in with people of various skill levels, it was a lot less frustrating than trying to play USF4 online.

Nyoro SF

I'm enjoying ranked right now, won 5 straight
against people that were new

However I have two questions I hope people can help me with:

1) Is there any way to disable the replay function so that it doesn't bother me after every game? Like in Blazblue. Is there any way for me to speed up post-match processing?

2) Combo lists show Minazuki able to do 2AB -> 214A -> 4A -> 4AB -> 2A but it doesn't work on anyone; can't get the 2A after the 4AB. Tried it against a bunch of characters, supposedly works midscreen, yet doesn't? So strange.

2) Combo lists show Minazuki able to do 2AB -> 214A -> 4A -> 4AB -> 2A but it doesn't work on anyone; can't get the 2A after the 4AB. Tried it against a bunch of characters, supposedly works midscreen, yet doesn't? So strange.

I've been reading some dustloop threads that say 4AB has to be delayed for 2A to land, but I haven't gotten it to work either.

Rhapsody

Banned
Flux is right. You don't have to worry about those too much. Even I don't really do those offline. 2B > j.C > 5B I'll just use as maybe a blockstring. I don't really confirm into it on hit since you have to be rather close, confirm off of a good starter, and realize they're crouching very fast. I'll do it for obvious counter hit combos though. As for the second one you listed, that's mostly done when you're doing the unblockable reset (which rarely happens imo).

If anything, 236B~A is more used if you want to side switch. You then super cancel into Heat Riser which is much more worth it. I'll even do this midscreen sometimes.

No I know, I stick to that string for blockstrings because I can't hit it consistently online lol. I'll go for 2C mjc combos though, they are great for corner carry.

tmtyf

I actually did reboot after each deletion. And yeah, you guessed my internet provider. How did you figure that one out, is it that bad for them?

if you go to dslreports forum you can open a ticket under the direct forums for bhn. I'm guessing you have lightning along with the sb Motorola modem. If so post that your DL get corrupted and bhntech can fix the settings on your modem so it fixes that problem.

took me forever with tons of phone calls with no luck until I found that site. He fixed it in like 10 min. The other alternative is set your modem to passthrough but then you will have no WiFi.

Nyoro SF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7TsTZuJwE Here is a japanese combo video of super low quality, you can see it being done here at around 1:20

Personally yeah I am sticking to the easy stuff for now.

Oh! That shows it beautifully! I'll try it tomorrow.

Minazuki is a really interesting character. I had no idea crouching state was required for 5C to chain into 5D. Now that I know that I can go for the safe jump setup more reliably after my regular bnb.

Steel

Banned
if you go to dslreports forum you can open a ticket under the direct forums for bhn. I'm guessing you have lightning along with the sb Motorola modem. If so post that your DL get corrupted and bhntech can fix the settings on your modem so it fixes that problem.

took me forever with tons of phone calls with no luck until I found that site. He fixed it in like 10 min. The other alternative is set your modem to passthrough but then you will have no WiFi.

Yeah, just had my install get corrupted for the 5th time. I'm doing that. Fuck this shit, considering double dipping because of it.

Uraizen

Banned
Yeah, just had my install get corrupted for the 5th time. I'm doing that. Fuck this shit, considering double dipping because of it.

Call Sony, tell them what's happening, and they'll probably refund you because they can see you haven't started it once.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I have this feeling that Marie is bottom tier but she's fun to play!

MechaX

Yeah it's tricky, there's no real easy way to do it either. On the 5AAA you have to cancel to 214A ASAP when the third shot goes off so you can link the 5C. I start to buffer the 214 before the third shot so I can get the cancel on time.

Yeah, I've been toying with ways to input the 5AAA that would allow me to at least get the 214A -> 5C in a way that would make sense to me, but no dice. It has to be the difference in some frames I'm just not seeing, because the demonstration makes it look like I'm at least on time with the bombs, but usually not the 5C (but I know I have to be doing the bombs late).

I dunno, I'll keep at it, but I think I'll just switch over to Naoto full time now. Muscle memory from P4A helps and I'm getting used to her point blank shot (especially since a lot of the time, you won't necessarily be using the guns for a lot of zoning, but Double Fangs follow-ups, and the point blank shot helps do the damage while saving the bullets). And her challenges are actually kinda easier for me, nothing really as bad as the SMP loop just yet.

I won't even have internet for most of the weekend, so hopefully grinding out the highest difficulty can help a little bit.

Top Bottom