• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

FluxWaveZ

Just go into lobbies and build up massive win streaks, then send taunting messages on twitter.

Yeah, I still spend most of my time in lobbies because most times when I can find someone outside of Japan in Ranked, they won't play me.

I built up a 51 win streak, once, but I tend to leave cabinets a lot since people tend to leave after I've won a couple of times. I like to have fun in lobby mode, so that's a big no to that Twitter thing, ha.

Really, really like Yukari. She's a lot of fun, even though I can't pull off most of her BnBs because they're so crazy.

Steel

Banned
Just redownloaded the game on a wired connection after having it get corrupted the first time.

And it's corrupted again... :\

*sigh* Shoulda gone physical

Xenoflare

I like the newb lobby. I go neck in neck with the peeps in there and I feel like we all suck.

I still feel a bit nervous during online play, so the only string I end up using for Liz is

5C->2C->214A. and AoA launch j.C. Which means the only chance I get is when my opponent start making elementary mistakes.

Sometimes I even forget I can use D to grapple.

Her 5B is lovely, even though I think it's nerfed from the original? It saved my life many times chipping that last bit of health.

I've met one Liz player who I think mistakenly canceled Mind Charge when he/she wanted to do Diarahan. It's kinda cute, because I've made that mistake before when I started playing P4A, the player also decided that spamming Zio is a good idea :p

Sorry if I made any mistakes writing these notations. I'm just starting :p

I'm having a very difficult time to charge for attacks (the reason why I dropped playing as Mitsuru), I don't know the timing of it and it always fail on me :( So Debilitate is getting hard for me to get use to.

I had about 10 matches so far (?) with a 50/50 win rate.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmm... they changed Akihiko's 236AA->2B or Dustloops wiki notations kinda stuck. Supposed to be able to "rush-down" multi-hit and then launch. But the launch completely fails now.

Xenoflare

Just redownloaded the game on a wired connection after having it get corrupted the first time.

I'm kinda scared for this since I'm getting Samurai Warriors 4 on PS3, and that game only has discs for PS4, the game is also around 10-12GB.

When I downloaded Dragon's Dogma from PS+ I thought my PS3 was dead.

Imouto

Banned
So I just bought the game and found out there is no Japanese voice in story mode? Thank you Atlus. Now I won't touch story mode ever again.

Khal_B

Bro, I feel your pain. I've tried literally everything, or almost everything. There's some dudes who have actually reformatted their entire PS3 and some guys who have requested a refund and re-bought the digital copy only for the same error to occur at the exact same point during installation. Me? I've downloaded and re-dowloaded the game probably close to 20 times now and think I'll request a refund. 12 gigs and failed installations over and over have taken their toll.

Here's a thread of others getting the same error. Maybe you'll find something that can give you a solution: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/Error-80029564-when-installing-Persona-4-Ultimax/td-p/44568288/highlight/false

But it's a slim maybe.

koutoru

So I just bought the game and found out there is no Japanese voice in story mode? Thank you Atlus. Now I won't touch story mode ever again.
Yeah, it was a bummer for me too, especially since they were harping about how P4A was their first dual audio persona game.
If they were going to take out dual audio for the sequel, i wish they would've been more upfront about it.

Any tips for using Rise? I picked her up as a joke character to mess with my friend, but I turned out to be pretty good with her; I'm not sure I completely understand her key mechanics, though. Like what that QCB+C/D shield is supposed to do.

Also, I know some people have expressed some concern about Naoto's changes, but I actually like them. My friend and I were toe-to-toe back in Arena with me maining Naoto and him maining Liz, but we went 4 matches yesterday with that same match-up and I didn't lose a single round. This was in spite of the fact he'd been using new Liz for the past few days and that was my first time picking up new Naoto.

Kikirin

For what it's worth, I really like this new Naoto as well. While her keepaway game is relatively hurt by the reload timer and longer recovery and weaker conversions on non-CH traps, I feel like she's more solid overall now. Legitimate anti-airs, better conversions off max range 5B at midscreen, and I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but she just feels much faster overall.

I also got my preliminary games in against a friend's Liz, and being able to actually do something about her j.B when she's at a 30-45 degree angle from the horizontal is such a huge godsend for the matchup.

FluxWaveZ

Naoto is objectively better. She was considered one of the worst characters in the original game.

Any tips for using Rise? I picked her up as a joke character to mess with my friend, but I turned out to be pretty good with her; I'm not sure I completely understand her key mechanics, though. Like what that QCB+C/D shield is supposed to do.

Check Dustloop for basic things like what her moves do.

TheSeks

Naoto is objectively better. She was considered one of the worst characters in the original game.

Really? Seemed like if she got momentum she'd be able to Hama/Mudo you pretty easily.

It's nearly impossible for me to find anyone online with a 3bar connection. Time to scour NYC to find any local events

Try Player MATCHES, not Player LOBBIES. Should be able to find three bars like I did. But I haven't touched that mode due to the game continuously crapping out after syncing on me.

MSMrRound

Help. What's the exact amount of water that one might need in order for Teddie to become a functional bop bag?

Is he supposed to rebound back after you strike him? Cuz mine would just topple over, only rebounding if I strike him against another surface.

Does that mean I might have too much or too little water in Teddie?

Yay, got my copy already thanks to based Nedgame. So fast!

Any EU folks that want some matches can add me. PSN: Cephiria.

Time to hit training mode~

kewlmyc

Help. What's the exact amount of water that one might need in order for Teddie to become a functional bop bag?

Is he supposed to rebound back after you strike him? Cuz mine would just topple over, only rebounding if I strike him against another surface.

Does that mean I might have too much or too little water in Teddie?

Deflate him. Fill the base up with water until it's literally shooting back out at you, close it, then blow it up.

MechaX

Managed to pick the game up. Man. Yukari really is pretty hard.

I guess I can go back to Naoto, but jeezus, I cannot get over muscle memory from P4A involving her sweep/down shots. This gun meter is just so strange. But at least in light of her altered zoning, she got buffed everywhere else, so that's not too bad.

Clov

If you go to the options, you can turn the voice volume to 0 if you don't like the English dub voices. That way you won't have to listen to them during story mode. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing!

Regarding the whole situation, I think it's pretty disappointing after the last game had full dual audio options. Lacking dual-audio is definitely better than a region locked game, but there really shouldn't be this dichotomy to begin with. There's other, smaller publishers than Atlus that have dual audio in their games without a region lock (most of NISA's titles, a good portion of Aksys and Xseed's, etc), so I really don't feel that Atlus couldn't afford the licensing. As an outsider to the world of video game licensing it strikes me as being more unwilling than unable, especially since there still is the option for battle voices in Japanese. It makes it seem like they weren't willing to go all the way.

Regardless, the game itself is still good! Adachi is a lot of fun to play as, though I'm still best as Mitsuru. I'm finding the story mode somewhat annoying; I've gone through three small branches so far (Yu, Naoto, Rise) and there haven't been any fights at all! Made me go back to arcade mode for a bit. The online is great too, but I'm not very good compared to a lot of other players.

Teknoman

Play the chapter prior to the battle with
H-N-K, tell Sho it's the power of solitude.
Play until kicked back to the menu. Repeat and tell him the other thing. Then go finish the P3 Path if you haven't already.

Oh I should've know when you have an actual choice like that, it matters.

Shouta

If you go to the options, you can turn the voice volume to 0 if you don't like the English dub voices. That way you won't have to listen to them during story mode. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing!

Regarding the whole situation, I think it's pretty disappointing after the last game had full dual audio options. Lacking dual-audio is definitely better than a region locked game, but there really shouldn't be this dichotomy to begin with. There's other, smaller publishers than Atlus that have dual audio in their games without a region lock (most of NISA's titles, a good portion of Aksys and Xseed's, etc), so I really don't feel that Atlus couldn't afford the licensing. As an outsider to the world of video game licensing it strikes me as being more unwilling than unable, especially since there still is the option for battle voices in Japanese. It makes it seem like they weren't willing to go all the way.

Regardless, the game itself is still good! Adachi is a lot of fun to play as, though I'm still best as Mitsuru. I'm finding the story mode somewhat annoying; I've gone through three small branches so far (Yu, Naoto, Rise) and there haven't been any fights at all! Made me go back to arcade mode for a bit. The online is great too, but I'm not very good compared to a lot of other players.

Licensing of audio differs greatly between properties. It's not as simple as Company A gets it so Company B should too.

Clov

Licensing of audio differs greatly between properties. It's not as simple as Company A gets it so Company B should too.

Yeah, I guess that's true. It just seems so strange since I don't know the exact factors that affect licensing costs. The factors themselves could vary from company to company, even. I do admit, there's a lot of stuff involved that I just don't know about.

Roto13

I just played a bunch of matches online with someone who I was pretty evenly matched with until I played a match with Shadow Junpei and just completely slaughtered him. I'd say "Junpei feels overpowered" but he was playing as Regular Junpei so it shouldn't have been that big a difference. :p He might not have known to get 10 runs.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this game a lot. So far I've had very few problems with the netcode. (For a while this morning, I couldn't connect to people, but my connection to the PSN itself also timed out so it probably wasn't the game's fault.) Aside from that, I've only had one round that had noticeable lag after like 20+ matches. The last person I played a bunch of matches with had a 0 bar connection and there was still very little lag aside from that one round. Just let the intro play, I guess.

EDIT: I know this game recycles a lot of stuff, but come on. :p

NIaAsKP.png
ezzo7SB.png

koutoru

Yeah, I guess that's true. It just seems so strange since I don't know the exact factors that affect licensing costs. The factors themselves could vary from company to company, even. I do admit, there's a lot of stuff involved that I just don't know about.
Personally, for this situation it's a case were Atlus JP is resistant to the notion of dual audio and Atlus US is unwilling to push/negotiate for it.
Maybe if they start looking at dual audio from a DLC point of view (like SE is now doing) they would be more willing to incorporate regularly.

Clov

Personally, for this situation it's a case were Atlus JP is resistant to the notion of dual audio and Atlus US is unwilling to push/negotiate for it.
Maybe if they start looking at dual audio from a DLC point of view (like SE is now doing) they would be more willing to incorporate regularly.

Yeah, that would make sense. It wouldn't be too surprising to see the full Japanese voice track as DLC, but who knows if they'll go through with it. We'll just wait and see, I guess!

Shouta

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s422...ce5904298afe/ee4eb744660d5b329321ea9293e71a36

Kubo posted this, was curious if there's anything in it that's useful besides just a basics guide.

Anyways, he is a good player so should be insightful if anything.

Nothing particularly new. A few combos in there that might be useful and He showed me the timing of the j.2b spin combo for them. I did learn that the activation of SB Koro moves are guaranteed when used regardless of whether or not Ken is hit though. He didn't mention that 236 SB also leaves Koro right in front of the opponent instead of making him jump back, heh.

This thread is making it hard waiting for the EU release, I want to get the physical EU copy but I'm so tempted to just download it from my US PSN account.

TheSeks

So with Akihiko, the only way to take full advantage of his twister gauge is to do Cyclone Uppercut SP skill immediately?

Kinda... yes. He's pretty heavily "attack combo/blockstring" focused if you want to use the Cyclone to it's fullest.
Which means I'm forever going to suck at getting him to 2/3 unless I'm lucky with a combo
Because as soon as the "combo"/blockstring/attack is dropped, the counter resets.

It only gives some benefits in regards to moves like 236A->A gaining Wallbounce from level 1(?) so you don't need to worry about it too much but it is something to keep in mind.

Top Bottom