• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Mdesilva

Yukari BnB timing is rough at first, but once you get it down it just feels really natural. Just keep trying to get the Bomb as early as possible and then hit 5C as fast as you can. Some people tell me they hit 5A during each hit of 5AAA to keep in time, but input 214 on the last one. Just keep practicing it and you'll get it. Her combos are hard to learn, but at least once you get her main routes down, you can do anything. Not really much outside of Bomb, IAD, and Wall-sticks to do.

Fuck the wall-stick route though. It's really annoying.

Finished Episode P4, and I learned two things. One, I am even worse at fighting games than I figured. And by that, I mean that there were a few fights that I got wasted on, only to pass the stick to my friend who just mashed buttons randomly and won easily. Even the final battle (fight spoilers, no plot)
was brutal for the two of us (died a whole bunch of times with no idea if we did any significant damage) until my friend tried the trick of walking up to the boss and hitting strong persona attack over and over until it died.
So basically I'm worse than a mindless button masher. That's really not good.

Two, the story seems to have way more filler than P4A did. There's a real sense of "wait, that's it?" after finishing the first episode and realizing that Episode P3 is likely to be the same basic plot from the perspective of the P3 characters. The pacing's also pretty bad, especially at the beginning when you go through three or four lengthy visual novel segments without getting into a single fight.

ZeroX03

Banned
Finished Episode P4, and I learned two things. One, I am even worse at fighting games than I figured. And by that, I mean that there were a few fights that I got wasted on, only to pass the stick to my friend who just mashed buttons randomly and won easily. Even the final battle (fight spoilers, no plot)
was brutal for the two of us (died a whole bunch of times with no idea if we did any significant damage) until my friend tried the trick of walking up to the boss and hitting strong persona attack over and over until it died.
So basically I'm worse than a mindless button masher. That's really not good.

Two, the story seems to have way more filler than P4A did.
There's a real sense of "wait, that's it?" after finishing the first episode and realizing that Episode P3 is likely to be the same basic plot from the perspective of the P3 characters. The pacing's also pretty bad, especially at the beginning when you go through three or four lengthy visual novel segments without getting into a single fight.

Huh? Did you play P4A? That game has something like 20 hours of filler when you repeat the same things from different perspectives over and over again. Everybody is pretty much in agreement that this story mode has been a huge improvement. Pacing is again, far better than before though not perfect.

Good games, VanillaCake!

Yeah. Next time if you don't mind can you not change characters after every match? I can't really acclimate to anything when you do that.

It's going to take me a while to get used to Labrys' changes. Her new auto combo is throwing me for a loop right now since I'm not sure what to do with it yet.

Xenoflare

Liz's SB Diarahan managed to save my life today.

I went from almost dead to 4/5 full while my opponent teddie (shocked with broken persona) watched. Won the match by time out.

I also had a shocked Yukiko, when I started charging SB Diarahan she started to go all Dia too. We fought with full health at awakening, I won again by time out.

Also saved my life when I fought a Shadow Yukari with Tetrakarn in Golden Arena, I SB charged Diarahan while she spammed arrow. I lost many times because by the time I cut her health to 1/4 I'm pretty much left with 1 hp due to Tetrakarn.

LOL. I cannot believe this actually worked. I almost laughed out loud when Teddie was just like O.O. Tried to spam Circus Bear and I avoided with high jump+Garu. I lost the first round because apparently he used another version that had a delay.

Sorry for the brag, but I only started taking this a tad bit seriously and this is a good confidence boost for me to get good. Even though I'm fighting noobs at my level.....

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit. 'Liz and Labrys' pressure is insane once they get going. Couldn't do anything against a local person that just mauled me alive with the axe. Then trolled me because I forget how you dodge that unblockable axe rush super.

Xenoflare

Also I got completely ruined by a Marge. Her arsenal of skills is incredible. That charge attack of her having a spiral of cards in front of her is my downfall.

Holy shit. 'Liz and Labrys' pressure is insane once they get going. Couldn't do anything against a local person that just mauled me alive with the axe. Then trolled me because I forget how you dodge that unblockable axe rush super.

I don't know about Labrys, but Elizabeth pressure is literally nonexistent.

TheSeks

I don't know about Labrys, but Elizabeth pressure is literally nonexistent.

Liz's pressure comes from her persona. If you don't take the Persona out (which seems impossible for me, try to poke it get command grabbed by it) she can roll. Glass cannon or not.

Liz's pressure comes from her persona. If you don't take the Persona out (which seems impossible for me, try to poke it get command grabbed by it) she can roll. Glass cannon or not.

From blocked 5CC she can go 5D or 2C. 2C has armor but Akihiko (I believe you play as Akihiko) can DP right through it, and Aki can DP or 2A the grab away after a blocked 5CC. Its only three hits and far from a true blockstring.

I guess I'm just having trouble doing it then because I tried that and could not get it. I'll try again tomorrow thanks.

Microdash links are hard, you really just have to grind it out.

Would 662B (1hit) > 5C xx 22B work? I'm not really familiar with Rise's normals so I'm not sure if it's any easier or if would even work but it's worth a shot.

Microdash links are hard, you really just have to grind it out.

Would 662B (1hit) > 5C xx 22B work? I'm not really familiar with Rise's normals so I'm not sure if it's any easier or if would even work but it's worth a shot.

it would work but 22B may not connect on the way down would use 22A. I think 22B will only work on a fatal counter start

hao chi

Could someone explain to me how Rise is able to have forward momentum after the 236C+D in this video? I can't get the 22B to connect after the 5C.

You microdash after the 236C+D, but honestly, I haven't really gotten the timing down on it at all either since Tectal Eastside gave me a better combo that's easier and ends with the opponent analyzed:

5AA > 2B (2) > 5B > 2A+B > 236C+D > 66 > 2B (2) > 5C > 22B > (delay) 214A > 5D/2D (2987 dmg)

Just a few notes: if your opponent hit the outside of the Arrow Rain after your 214A, you did it too soon. And I put '5D/2D' at the end, because some smaller characters tend to end up higher in the Arrow Rain, so you need to do 2D to analyze them.

Also, feel free to switch around the 2B (2) > 5B if you want.

Also, Yu and Akihiko have more specific timing for this combo than all the characters I've tested out so far, and as far as I can tell, the ender for the combo doesn't work on Kanji. If you happen to get it to work on Kanji, please tell me how you managed to do it. :p

And feel free to ask me if you have any questions. This combo honestly took me forever to figure out, so anything I can do to help I will.

Also, here's an even easier combo that you can also do:

5AA > 2B (2) > 5B > 2A+B > 236C+D > 5C (2) > (bit delayed) 214B > 5AA > 2A+B > meaty 236B (2839 dmg)

You microdash after the 236C+D, but honestly, I haven't really gotten the timing down on it at all either since Tectal Eastside gave me a better combo that's easier and ends with the opponent analyzed is:

5AA > 2B (2) > 5B > 2A+B > 236C+D > 66 > 2B (2) > 5C > 22B > (delay) 214A > 5D/2D (2987 dmg)

Just a few notes: if your opponent hit the outside of the Arrow Rain after your 214A, you did it too soon. And I put '5D/2D' at the end, because some smaller characters tend to end up higher in the Arrow Rain, so you need to do 2D to analyze them.

Also, Yu and Akihiko have more specific timing for this combo than all the characters I've tested out so far, and as far as I can tell, the ender for the combo doesn't work on Kanji. If you happen to get it to work on Kanji, please tell me how you managed to do it. :p

And feel free to ask me if you have any questions. This combo honestly took me forever to figure out, so anything I can do to help I will.

5AA > 2B (2) > 5B > 2A+B > 236C+D > 5C (2) > (bit delayed) 214B > 5AA > 2A+B > meaty 236B (2839 dmg)

I've been learning the one combo

5AA > 2A+B>236CD > 5C > 214B > 2B (1) > 5C > 22A > jB > jc > jB > j2B. Think thats like 3000 but obviously no oki off of it

You microdash after the 236C+D, but honestly, I haven't really gotten the timing down on it at all either since Tectal Eastside gave me a better combo that's easier and ends with the opponent analyzed:

Thanks for the combos and help. I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Busaiku

Finally figuring Teddie out.
Lots of his stuff combos now, which didn't work in Persona 4 Arena.
Can get Puppetteddie into most of the simple chains.

Also what the heck is with Yosuke.
He was like Super Sonic.
I had no idea what was going on.

Sigh, shadow characters are no fun to play against as a beginner.

Ok so I suck at video games. Some one tell me how to deal with non stop AoA spam.

Edit: Also I am starting to hate Marrie, she seems to have a lot more high low mix ups going on than any other characters I played against yet. Then again all I keep running into is DLC characters in ranked.

Anne

Sigh, shadow characters are no fun to play against as a beginner.

Ok so I suck at video games. Some one tell me how to deal with non stop AoA spam.

Edit: Also I am starting to hate Marrie, she seems to have a lot more high low mix ups going on than any other characters I played against yet. Then again all I keep running into is DLC characters in ranked.

If somebody keeps throwing AOA at you, just block high. They are all slow enough you can block them on reaction, then you punish (usually).

TheSeks

From blocked 5CC she can go 5D or 2C. 2C has armor but Akihiko (I believe you play as Akihiko) can DP right through it, and Aki can DP or 2A the grab away after a blocked 5CC. Its only three hits and far from a true blockstring.

Nah, he was doing the beam attack. Try to Furious Action (or whatever that dodge is) through it (was successful once not sure of the timing), get smacked. Block while attempting to up up. Persona comes out, rushes. Block that, attempt to smack to Persona but lose in range (which was the theme of the night. If I did connect the hitstun and range was too short/far for me to actually get on the attack) to where the command grab or that circle force field attack came out and smacked me. Can't seem to get my head around smacking their persona out of commission. Switched to Sho, had the same issue (and can't figure out what 5D is used for for the life of me. Like Akumen's projectile block drive attack?)

Nah, he was doing the beam attack. Try to Furious Action (or whatever that dodge is) through it (was successful once not sure of the timing), get smacked. Block while attempting to up up. Persona comes out, rushes. Block that, attempt to smack to Persona but lose in range (which was the theme of the night. If I did connect the hitstun and range was too short/far for me to actually get on the attack) to where the command grab or that circle force field attack came out and smacked me. Can't seem to get my head around smacking their persona out of commission. Switched to Sho, had the same issue (and can't figure out what 5D is used for for the life of me. Like Akumen's projectile block drive attack?)

The beam has ridiculous recovery, you can close a lot of distance on block (you can't slide through it, it's the length of the screen; if you want to jump it you'll probably have to predict it, but Aki can't jump very high), especially with Aki. If they're just throwing out 2C when you get close you can hit it away because there are a lot of frames where it doesn't have armor on start up, 5D has very short range on the ground and as with the blocked 5Cs you can just jab it away. If anything, you can just shut it down with Caesar. Thanatos pressure is the type of thing that you get tagged by off guard once or twice a round, which isn't a big deal since her damage options on a stray Thanatos hits are much more limited, but if you're losing entire matches to it, it isn't because Liz has crazy pressure.
And I don't know what Sho you used, but one has a teleport and he should be beating Liz for free.

Edit: I'm talking solely about the A beam at the beginning, because with the start up on the B beam you could learn Japanese, fly to Japan, ask them how to beat Liz, and then fly back before that thing comes out.

If you're having a hard time fighting a character, go into training mode and practice.

TheSeks

The beam has ridiculous recovery, you can close a lot of distance on block (you can't slide through it, it's the length of the screen; if you want to jump it you'll probably have to predict it, but Aki can't jump very high), especially with Aki. If they're just throwing out 2C when you get close you can hit it away because there are a lot of frames where it doesn't have armor on start up, 5D has very short range on the ground and as with the blocked 5Cs you can just jab it away. If anything, you can just shut it down with Caesar. Thanatos pressure is the type of thing that you get tagged by off guard once or twice a round, which isn't a big deal since her damage options on a stray Thanatos hits are much more limited, but if you're losing entire matches to it, it isn't because Liz has crazy pressure.
And I don't know what Sho you used, but one has a teleport and he should be beating Liz for free.

Edit: I'm talking solely about the A beam at the beginning, because with the start up on the B beam you could learn Japanese, fly to Japan, ask them how to beat Liz, and then fly back before that thing comes out.

I guess I need to learn movement options more then? Because when I got in close, get smacked by Than. Beamed across the map try to smack to Persona break. Get smacked. Then comboed to death.

I just remembered I need to finish P4:A's story before I can tackle Ultimax's. Luckily I had left the game after the second half was unlocked so it shouldn't take me too long hopefully.

Xenoflare

Elizabeth's Zios are really easy to punish. Particularly the A version. Since in ultimax it only hits once. Which made it even easier. You can rush to her fairly quickly and if you have a fast projectile (Yu's Zio Yukari and Yukiko's 5B)that's one persona break.

You can break her persona fairly quickly if you know how to block and see through the pattern. Just be careful with the 5D grab. Use 5A or 2A after a whiffed bufu. For example.

SB zio still works wonders despite of it's short coming. I had a Yukari who just decided she would do nothing other than feather arrow. Managed to shocked her and used SB Diarahan to force her out.

TheSeks

Elizabeth's Zios are really easy to punish. Particularly the A version. Since in ultimax it only hits once. Which made it even easier. You can rush to her fairly quickly and if you have a fast projectile (Yu's Zio Yukari and Yukiko's 5B)that's one persona break.

You can break her persona fairly quickly if you know how to block and see through the pattern. Just be careful with the 5D grab. Use 5A or 2A after a whiffed bufu. For example.

SB zio still works wonders despite of it's short coming. I had a Yukari who just decided she would do nothing other than feather arrow. Managed to shocked her and used SB Diarahan to force her out.

I guess?

Basically when I finally got in with Akihiko or Sho (or Teddie who I button mashed in an attempt to "trollololol" but failed at it) and started to get the auto-combo or even a B rush-down going to attempt to "blowback" toward a corner, 'Liz and Labrys would burst. Rush in and throw me into the air to juggle me repeatedly until death.

Provided Elizabeth wasn't sitting back throwing "Zios" or whatever that projectile beam is at me while I attempted to Furious Action through it or jump dash over it only for Thanatos to pop-out, bop me and then do that circle force-field attack to where 'Liz then threw me into the air and proceeded to wombo combo me.

Xeteh

Welp, got to play some P4AU with my cousin last night but that is about all I'll get to do for a bit. Woke up and went to mess around with the game and my PS3 is dead. Fantastic. Can't even get the disc to eject.

So when the heck is it safe to attack Rise.
I can never tell when it ends.

You really just have to look for dash or jump cancels and hope you can punish them. Once she gets going she's really hard to escape from, especially since a lot of her moves can be hard to see with all of the stuff she has flying out. You just have to play footsies with her and keep her from gaining momentum. Guard cancel or burst if she ever gets notes set up in the corner.

I enlisted in ranked matches and went to training room and this guy keeps on joining the "room" I guess but leaves, wth

edit: I probably need someone to check my internet connection, can't seem to join ranked and for some reason get laggy matches at 2 bar in lobby

Top Bottom